Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Who is your favorite Old One?

Jericho Z. Barrons

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
b4d8a45fd0398c9fa16e3523d2a44862.jpg

The Lovecraftian mythos of Old Ones, interdimensional evil, beings so great and incomprehensible that they cause madness just from hearing their names sometimes. The mythos of these ancient beings has grown bigger over the years than just H.P. Lovecraft's work, so, don't feel restricted to just mentioning those in his stories.

Who are your favorite Old Ones and why? Recommend a story/movie.

My favorite is Hastur, the King in Yellow, created by Robert W. Chambers. I love the enigmatic nature of him, the dread and allure in the stories about him. His tattered yellow robe and pallid face like a mask but not a mask. I also like the trope of the Brown Note, a play, The King in Yellow, which drives the readers mad. And supposedly, if the play is ever performed in full, it will summon the King, Hastur, himself.

Last edited:
Interesting topic! I had to look up the distinction between Old ones and Outer ones as i thought my initial answer would be Yog Sothoth, but it's not an Old one at all!

I guess I would say Atlach-nacha.While not an Old one made by Lovecraft, I find the idea of an ancient spider-like horror to be compelling for some reason - maybe it would explain mankinds instinctual fear of spiders, or maybe it took up the shape due to that fear. Who knows? Either way, I find insectile horror to be a very interesting breed of horror for the most part.

Tsathoggua

0881B4B5-BEEC-464C-BBF4-DA859EE86A0A.png
Clark Ashton Smith made him seem like a pretty chill dude, as long as you didnโ€™t steal from him. And he even looked out for his cultists

Interesting topic! I had to look up the distinction between Old ones and Outer ones as i thought my initial answer would be Yog Sothoth, but it's not an Old one at all!

I guess I would say Atlach-nacha.While not an Old one made by Lovecraft, I find the idea of an ancient spider-like horror to be compelling for some reason - maybe it would explain mankinds instinctual fear of spiders, or maybe it took up the shape due to that fear. Who knows? Either way, I find insectile horror to be a very interesting breed of horror for the most part.
You know, I'm a fan of Lovecraft's work (I almost just said Lovecraft by himself and thought 'Ach, well.... maybe not....'), and the mythos (and genre/s) that he inspired; and as I opened this thread I thought to myself 'Well, at least I don't think there are any spider Old Ones.' Guess I'm wrong, huh. I won't google it because I have a deep fear of them, but I hate that I now know one 'exists'.

Obviously I also adore Hastur but besides him, I quite like Nyarlathotep, The fact that he takes on a human form and appears on earth during times of great chaos just to mess with people is amazing to me.

Yig. I adore snakes, he's the father of snakes, he doesn't really care if you don't harm snakes and I'm basically the same so...

Though I do have The King in Yellow's symbol tattooed on me, that's more a design choice - as it fit in the middle of the leaf Elder Signs Lovecraft designed to make the wing-like look I was going for on the backs of my shoulders. Though The King in Yellow would probably be my second choice.

Back
Top Bottom