Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

She Came Back

Tinkerer Nadia

Bound for Trouble
She Came Back

By: Drone Nadia

Your insurance won't cover it, Jamie. If you don't want the government to send her, hire an exorcist or do it yourself.

Fuck.

Jamie was sitting in the front seat of his car, the thirty-eight-year-old male letting it idle. Sharon…

Why? Why did you come back?

Three years ago, he left his countryside home to go and pick up some groceries for the Christmas dinner they were going to have, and he came home to a blazing inferno. Christmas eve, his home, his wife…

"Fucking assholes…"

He had options...he didn't have to go in there.

No...that was not entirely true. The thought of having the Public Exorcism Bureau handle this made him feel sick to his stomach. Just the idea of them kicking in the door and...no, he would deal with this.

He needed to gather his courage. Looking out the window, he saw the cleared property that once held his old home. No manifestation yet, but if his old partner was not full of it, it would be here within the hour.

The case file.

He picked up the envelope, taking it out. Exorcism case files...he never thought he would see one again, but here it was.

Subject: Sharon Hamilton

Classification: Humanoid Spirit

Threat level: Passive

Manifestation period: 7 days a week, from 5 p.m to 7 p.m

Haunting Method: Manifests an exact replica of the home she lived in before the fire, which lasts for around 2 hours before burning down. This occurs every day at the same time, the fire ending at the same time. The house is material, as well as the spirit. Locals have reported that the fires have caused a great deal of ash and the risk of further fires.

Recommended action: Exorcism

Notes: I will see if Jamie will want to do it himself. The man is broken, but he won't be happy to hear we didn't at least give him the option before the boys are sent in.

Damn right he would, and yet? He almost wished they had just not told him. Ignorance is bliss, but...ugh. No.

He had to do this. Sharon can't be sent back to whatever waits for her beyond this life screaming as men break into the house and…

Jamie understood why people hired a private exorcist now. To think he would have to do one for...this.

Getting up, he knew he had work to do. Mercifully, the Bureau hadn't left him completely on his own. They had laid a perimeter of salt to contain any apparitions or unwanted guests. At least he was sure there would not be a demon waiting for him.

Fuck this.

He opened the car door, the man running a hand over his tired face. Jamie was not exactly what you would think of an exorcist. He was a tall guy, his unkempt short hair and beard, along with his tired, pale face making him look more like the type they sent packing than the one doing the sending. Wearing an old jacket, some jeans, he had bothered to wear clean clothes for this. Why?

He didn't know. He was not here to...see her again, but send her back. He almost shaved but remembered back then he had grown a beard. If he looked too different, she might panic. Had to keep her calm.

Pushing his brown hair back, the man grabbed a large bag from the trunk of his car, as well as a shotgun. Sharon was alone in there, but if something did manifest and manage to cross over the salt, no way in hell was he letting some dark one lay a finger on his wife's soul...if it was her in there.

He checked his watch, shutting the car off. 4:59.

Any second now.

He waited behind the salt line, shotgun ready as his bag stayed by his side. This was it.

Time to go home.

It was sudden. Like an artist using a brush to paint reality, his home materialized from the ground up. The white-painted walls, Christmas lights stringing along with the windows as the door appeared, windows forming from glass that had shattered there years ago, the house restored in seconds. Soon, smoke started to billow from the fireplace, the man watching as he saw a silhouette walk by one of the windows on the ground floor.

He couldn't move. Every fibre of his being wanted to just call the Bureau and tell them to go in, that he could not do it…but he walked over to the door anyway.

He had the key to get in. He never did get rid of it. Jamie opened the front door, dread filling his very being as he opened the door.

"Sharon?" He called out.

"Jamie? Back so soon?" He gripped his shotgun. This was it, she was here...or at least, something that emulated her voice was. God...it sounded just like her too.

Focus! "Sharon, I am coming in. Don't move."

He opened the bag. Aside from spare shells loaded with blessed iron shrapnel, he had a photograph of her, a carton of holy water, a crucifix, and most important of all, matches.

This was not going to be pretty, no matter how this ends.

"Jamie? Is something wrong dear? I'm in the kitchen! Bring in the groceries!" He moved slowly. A part of him hoped it was just a fucking demon, so he could blow its head off and end this. Brutalizing some fucked up monster preying on his grief...made him ill knowing he preferred that, but he did.

"Don't move, Sharon." He told her as he headed down the hall of their main foyer. The house was exactly as he remembered. The decorations, the family photos, her homemade Christmas wreath. Slowly he marched in, his bag of weapons and tools on his back, both hands on his gun.

A warm light came from the kitchen. The cozy, warm feel she always brought to his life coming back like a cruel joke, Jamie using his weapon to push the door into the kitchen open.

"Sharon, you-"

"Jamie!" There she was. Sharon smiled as she turned, her beautiful, soft features meeting his aged ones, the woman looking him over. "You look awful, darling. Was the store busy? Go sit down, I will bring you-"

"Sharon." He can't let this continue. It would only be more painful the longer she spoke. "Sharon, listen to me." She looked at him, the woman crossing her arms. Her black hair was just as silky as he remembered, it going down to her upper back in a pretty braid. The gorgeous, beautiful woman smiled as she walked over, touching his face. Her porcelain skin was so soft, so warm…

"You feel so cold...you look pale...are you coming down with a cold? Come, sit." She took his hand, the man moving back. "Sharon!" Her wool sweater, her form-fitting jeans, her apron...she looked just like that day. "Jamie, enough. I know you hate leaving all the house chores to me, but it's fine! You work hard enough as it is. Go sit."

He can't do this. She smiled as he finally turned, the man heading into the living room. No signs of a demonic presence, not a drop of corruption…

He found himself in the living room, his old chair there. He sat down after taking his bag and placing it at the side, shotgun on his lap. One more test.

She started to hum "jingle bells" from the kitchen, Jamie reaching into the bag and taking out the photo. A demon cannot stand to look at a photo or picture of one they mimic, it causes them pain...time to confirm she is Sharon and not some succubus or abomination. "I hope you like coffee and gingerbread men! I made way too many for the party tomorrow, so I will bring you some~!"

She came into the living room with a mug and plate, the man holding the photograph so she could see it. It was a wedding photo, one of the few things that survived the fire, the man waiting for her to get close.

"I hope you are hungry. Dinner is going to be great! I found a new recipe online, I…" She looked at him, then smiled.

"I remember that photo. Your brother may be a dumbass, but he really is a great photographer." He let her take it, the woman smiling as she examined it. "Jamie…are you ok?"

"Yeah...I...Sharon, listen." The woman moved closer, the gun unnoticed by her. He placed it aside as she slowly came into his lap, the woman relaxing against him. "You dork...I get it now."

She moved in, kissing him on his cheek. "We can if you want. The turkey needs another hour in the oven anyway, and...I want to, as well."

What? Jamie reached into the bag of gear, the man grasping the crucifix, but then she kissed him again.

"I love you..." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around him. No, he...how he missed this. Her love, her warmth...Sharon was here, there was no way she was a demon. She didn't even react to him touching the crucifix, the woman in his lap the spirit of his lost wife.

He could feel everything. Her soft breathing, her kiss...how her jeans hugged into her butt so perfectly. Her braided hair was so soft, he tried to push her away, but it was hopeless.

Jamie knew this was a mistake, but...he kissed her back. She gasped as he pulled her in, kissing her deeply. "Oh!" She yelped, followed by happy giggles as she started to run his hands over her body. Not a thing was out of place, the only reminder of the truth being his mind screaming at him to not proceed.

"Sharon…" He said softly as he retreaded from her lips, the woman smiling softly. "Want me to wear something more...comfy?" She asked, and he nodded. She smiled, snuggled into him for a bit, then got up. "Be back soon."

She was gone, heading upstairs.

Jamie focused now that Sharon was not here. He had to get her to accept the truth that she had died. He had what was needed, the case file had newspaper clippings and her death certificate, but the matches were the key. He had to reintroduce the trauma of her death to her, albeit in a small way, to remind her of what happened.

The fireplace glowed with a fake light, no fire burning. She was repressing flames, the woman he loved recreating their home, but unable to do so with her repressed mind fighting the truth.

He got up. He had to do this. It was for her, so she could rest in peace, and he could move on.

Heading upstairs, he had the box of matches with him. He could hear her moving about in the bedroom, the woman likely sliding into that sexy lingerie he used to love seeing her in. That translucent Babydoll, the matching panties...he opened the door, the woman smiling at him.

"Jamie! What, you couldn't wait for me? Usually, you are so patient." She teased, watching him. "...how do I look?"

Of course, she looked gorgeous. Sharon had always been a beautiful woman, but there was something about how she looked in more revealing outfits that took her beauty straight into sexy. He struggled to look away, then feeling his body stir in a way he had not felt since he last was with her.

"Sharon, listen. You...you aren't alive."

She stopped, looking at him. "Oh, come on. I still got it, don't I? Oh! I know what you want…" She smiled and grabbed some lipstick off the table, not processing what he said. Damn! She was rejecting reality.

"No, Sharon, you died three years ago. I have come to...to send you back."

She laughed, puckering her lips to check she got her lips nice and painted in the purple lipstick he used to love her using. "Jamie, you can't ruin the mood. You got me horny, so it's time to do your duties as my husband and take care of me!"

He lit a match, the sound of it lighting making Sharon's hairs stand on end. She yelped, the man tempted to put the fire out to shield her from the truth as he saw the terror and pain the simple act caused her.

"Sharon, look at me. I came to send you back. You are causing the locals to worry. You can't stay."

"I can."

She turned, the match going out.

"I got you back here. I got you...I got you to come home. Why didn't you come home from the store? It's been ages since you left!"

She was deluded. The truth and what she wanted to believe mixed in her mind. He had to push her further.

"Sharon!" He shouted, the woman yelping again, tears forming in her soft, round eyes. "No! No! You are here...you are home! You are where you and I belong! Let's go...let's make love!" She moved toward him, her hands grabbing into his.

"Fuck me, Jamie. Fuck your wife…" she had knocked the matches from his hands, the man moving to grab them, but she was not having it. She grabbed him and kissed him, the man feeling his strength fail him. He can't do this. He can't let her live in this lie, every second she stayed on this earth she was at risk of so many evils.

He managed to break the kiss, the man holding her, looking her in the eyes. "Sharon, listen to me. I love you, I love you so much. I haven't stopped thinking about you for even a second since the fire…"

"SHUT UP!"

She screamed, the house shaking. This was bad. She was becoming dangerously agitated. "Sharon! You can't do this!"

"I refuse...I refuse to believe you!" He had to act fast. He grabbed hold of her and picked her up, carrying her over his shoulder. She screamed and fought with him, but he had a stronger grip. The illusion was fading, the house starting to show signs of the fire. As he ran downstairs, his wife crying and screaming for him to let go, he watched as smoke started to billow from the fireplace, the wallpaper peeling as a huge wave of heat spread through the house. He flew down the stairs, sitting her down in his old chair. "Look!"

The case file. He held it out for her, Sharon hissing as she looked away. "No! No! You are home! You are home!" She cried, hysterical. Her grief was causing the fire to start early, the exorcist in real danger as the kitchen oven exploded with fire.

"Sharon!" He grabbed her hand. "Please! I don't want this any more than you do! Trust me! Listen to me!" She was sobbing, the woman inconsolable as a window shattered from the heat of the blaze that was starting to spread. "No! It's not true! It's not!"

Jamie looked around. He would be joining her in death if he didn't get her to trust him. The fire was very much real despite it being caused by her confusion and grief, his beautiful wife Shrieking as he grabbed her hands to prevent her from covering her face. "You cannot hide from reality, Sharon! You died! It...it was all my fault. I should have...I…"

His own emotions were starting to boil up. "I should have been here, to rescue you...get you out...let me help you now, free you from the fire. Please!" She shook herself free, Jamie pulling her in to prevent her from running. "I will always love you. You don't need to be alive for that! Sharon! Please!"

Something grabbed his leg. Looking, he saw a flaming claw breaching from between the floorboards, the sheer heat burning his leg in seconds. No!

M̵̡̢̢̨͇̣̪͔̲͍͎͎̰͕̖̼̈́̽̌̀̔͌̔̾A̷̡̟̪͍͖̘̰͍̩̝͇̺̠̟̪̥͛͑̎͌́́̄̒̏̋͂̇́̓̍̕͠͠ͅķ̸̗̟̣͇͉̗̬̹̙͕͖̥̖̜̮̣͙̠̺̯͎̣̪̖̞̼̝̰̦̟̽̽̔̃̊̎̀̀̏̑̍̍̂̄̈́̊̈́͘̚͜͝͠Ę̸̡̛̘̙̞̳͚̖̝̳̦͍̮̺͈̜̘͈̣͓̭͊͋͐͒̕͜ ̸̯̳͚̜̜͈̣͉͊̔̿̇͐̆̍͂̋̿̑̃̿̒̌̑̈́̿̆̾̎̐̅͗̐̎̎͛̑̕̚h̷̡̡̢̢̜̲̹͎͈͔̫̼̺͕͍̱͔̖̳͓̣͖̪͕̘̝͇̦̰̜̻̠̯̊͗̇́̾̊ȩ̴̨̛̤̰͍̹̩̭̳͉̱̹̟͎̬͑͌̉̈́͋̅̃͂͛͛̒̈̊̑͂͒̏Ṛ̶̢̡̡̖͉̣̮̻̜̟̮̦̳̼͔̖͉̳̰̱̤̝̝̥̻͆̅͊̐̎̍ ̸̨̢̢̨̣̩̫̗͙̮̜̩̲̦̱͖̝̹̯̮͍̯̠̱̩͍̲̈́͗̃̄̈͑̅̐̏̌̈̌̉̐͘͝ͅs̵͈̙̜̱̹̼̗͐͒̋͒̆̀̈́́͒͒̌̓͆̒̕̕͝ͅO̷̡̨͎̗͔̭̼̼̰͈͔͎͙͇̳͖͇̣̦̳̱̒͒̆̓̂͋̀̀͑̾̌͐̾͊̍͌̍̾̑͌̕͝͠R̵̨͕̟̱͉͍̘̹͙͈͓̤̪̰̫̙̺̻̻̣̠̻̿̉̆͑̌̀͘͜͠͝ͅŗ̸̡̧͕̠͉͇̤̬̗̖̬̳̬̗̯̜͙̩͖̙̟̑̍Ö̶̧̧͔̹͔͈̦̭͕̻͚̖̠̝̜̯̜̤̞̪̫̤̥̰̘́͊͛͑͒̓̇̋͠ͅw̵̢̙͖̠̘̪͍̟͕̖̯̰̟̮͔̝̥̘̻̏͑͂̑̃̍̓́̈́́̑͂͑͗̑̂͛̌́̈́̚ͅ ̶̡̡͖͇͖̤̭̰̝̬̯̭̙̦͍̳̘̼̦̰͈̮̞͎͔̻͓̲̼̪͚̣͚͐͌̒̒̇̂B̷̧̨̖̰̯̹͈̩̻̘̮̤͑̍͆͂̑͐́̆͋̆̕͜u̸̡̝̳͈̰͎̜̬̟̖͚̼̲͎͚̬͓͙̝̫̰̺͈͚̺͍̲͌ͅŖ̸̢͇̼̦̦͓̳͓̦̞̺̭͕͚̼͖̝͕̲̟̿̑̔́̅͗̂̿͛͒̈̎̓͂͂̇̎̓̌͆̑̽̔̉͌̀̋̕̚͝ͅN̵̪̳̂̒!̴̛̟̈̇͗̇̇͆̀"̷͖̲̹̪̭̱̙͐̀̔͆̅͛̃͌̅̆͒̿̋̑̈́̇͗͛̋͗͆̈́̕͘͠

A demon had dragged her back to this world, just to feed on her pain. He had let his grief blond him from searching the house, Jamie kicking his leg free before the burn caused too much damage. Grabbing his shotgun, he took aim and fired on the creature reaching from the basement, holy metal sent into the inferno below. The hell beast roared with fury as the shell was ejected, another one fired into it until the floor sealed back up again. "Sharon!" He turned, seeing her running back upstairs. Damnit!

He grabbed his bag of tools, loading his gun as he headed after her. The demon was not going to just sit quietly in the basement while he went and tried to talk to her, Jamie heading up after her.

He found her, screaming in the bedroom. This was where they had found her body, Jamie remembering the fire started in the basement and trapped her on the top floor. She had been planning to surprise him when he got home with...fuck! He can't let her de-manifest with that demon here! It would be sure to consume her and flee now that it was found out.

Smashing the bedroom door down, he found her curled up on the bed, the woman surrounded by flames. He reached into his bag for the holy water, opened the carton and spread as much as he could.

The fire fled, likely due to its source being demonic, the man able to finally get to her. "Sharon…"

She was still crying, weakly. "I wanted...to give you a family, Children...I was...so excited to…" He touched her cheek. "I know. I know Sharon." She wiped her face, struggling to hold back more tears. "Was I a good wife?"

He couldn't hold back anymore. Tears flowed down his grizzled face, the man nodding. "Of course. I...I won't ever forget you." She held onto him, the two embracing as the fire exploded around them.

Jamie was thrown from the house, the man and his gun landing outside the residence as the inferno erupted from below. Jamie got up slowly as the fire burned bright, a roar of fury from inside bursting out as the vague shape of the horned creature came free of the interior.

The man pumped his gun.

"Stay away from my wife!"

The beast roared as its claws multiplied, flaming talons coming for him; he managed to throw himself free of the attack, shooting into the fire with his gun. With just a shotgun he could not really do much, but the beast was hurting from his attack. He just had to keep it occupied, focused on him so his wife could find the truth and...fuck!

The creature swung at him again, the fire inside the house so high that the demon was only growing in power. It seemed to laugh as his feeble attacks did little to impact it, just barely missing him as it attacked again.

H̷̨̛͉͇͈̘̣͇̻̩̳͈̠͈̙͆̈́̇͋͘͠A̷͚̱͈̺̗̰̮̳͐̈́͊̽͐͊̋͗͛̎̅͛̕͜͠͠ͅ ̷̧̧̛̹̼̩̱͙̻͎͙̬͕̝̈́̓͂͑̽ͅH̷̪͖̱̝̲̦̅̑̌̕͜ą̷̺͙̰̝̫̈̆̆̃̄͆͑̀̌͘͘͜ ̸̖͓́̂̀̐h̶̢̨̦̠̯̮͉̓͐͆̄̿̎̕A̵̢̘̖̖̗̮̠̦̙̼̭͋̿̉̓̉͑͛͛̍̕͝ͅ ̴̛̮̠͈̜̬͔̣̗̰̮͉͎̹̭̎̄̃͋͜͠h̸̪͖̻̹͚͔̻̫̹̋̔́̀́̈́̈́͘̚Ǎ̴̢̢̬̩͎̱̻̯͇̣̞̰̭̈́̿̓́̀̾́͐̎̄̿̽̔̐ ̸̧̣̳̼̺̫͓̞͍͉̫̞̯͖͗̒́́͒͂H̴̡̡̧̝̝̣̫̯̭̟̪́́̓̀͆̐́͘͝ả̷̤̜͚̹͓͈͕̈̑̿̉͂͗̽͌͝͝͝ ̵̨͇͉͙̼͚̭̉̑̍͊̇͌͐̐̍̕ͅh̸̛̺̤͌̾̃Ǎ̴̬͐̏̀̒̓̊͠!̸̲̦̤̥̌̆͂ͅ

Damn! This infernal creature was not letting up. He can't keep this up forever! He fired his last shell into the beast, his attack ignored as the infernal horror launched a fiery blast straight towards him…

However, Jamie was never touched. The demon shrieked as the fire it was using to attack him came back towards it, the dark fire instead seeming to glow brightly...just like she always did.

The man had only moments to act. "By the power given to me from up on high, I banish you!" Jamie really didn't like to invoke this kind of power, but his wife could not hold back that demon for long. The cloudy sky parted as he held up the crucifix, the man starting the chant to call down his holy magic.

The demon managed to throw itself free of the choking light, barreling towards Jamie. Its fangs dripped with molten saliva as it opened its jaws to tear him apart, but a harsh light from above illuminated the overcast sky, the second shrieking as its body was slashed, its jaw sheared off in a clean cut.

The monster roared as the light from the sky grew more intense, beams of holy energy shooting holes into the fire, putting it out. Jamie fell backwards as the demon sputtered out, its skin turning to ash as the power that kept it in this world failed. Jamie could hear sirens blaring as the fire department and PEB arrived on the scene, the man seeing the house crumble into a heap as the demon fell. The fire department started to put the remaining fire out quickly, as the sky above slowly closed back up with clouds.

Jamie, exhausted and in a great deal of pain, fell to the ground.

~~~

Jamie woke up in the hospital, the man groaning. He was in so much pain…

To his annoyance, he was alive. Sitting up as best he could, he glared as he saw a familiar, unwanted face.

"That was reckless of you."

Jamie sighed. "Go away." He said sternly but was ignored. "Is that how you treat me? After you called down the power of-"

He didn't want to hear it. "It's my right to do so. Is it dead?"

The obscured visitor nodded, his acquaintance sitting in the dark, light reflecting off her glasses. "Quite. That demon will never be seen again."

"And my wife?"

His guest was quiet for a moment.

"She is with us, in her promised place."

Jamie was surprised to hear that. "I thought who gets in is confidential?" He said, the woman sighing. "It's not kept that way out of cruelty. Rest easy, she is where she will never want or suffer again."

Thank...no, not him. Damn asshole finally did his job, he deserves no thanks.

"...so are you back?" Jamie shook his head. "I am not an exorcist for God anymore. This was personal."

"Of course. Forgive me." The man watched the figure fade, laying back in bed. He felt weak.

Laying back in bed, Jamie tried to close his eyes, the pain from his burns making it hard. At least it was over, and he could finally rest.

Back
Top Bottom