Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ashes in the Breeze (Japanese Inspired 5e in-character) (nsfw)

Head northwest along the road from Kugi towards Horozawa. It is about a day's worth of a journey on foot for a normal person, that is if one doesn’t come across any dangers or blockages along their way. This area could only be described as rural, once out of the small town, farms and rice patties dot the landscape. Then after another hour or so of walking, all human influence would give way to wilderness. Wilderness where monsters roam and bandits run. If a wild kappa doesn’t jump out at you for getting too close to its pond, a feral oni might just drop down on you but if that wasn’t enough bandits could rob you at any time they feel like. Needless to say, travelers were always on guard. Either buy a weapon and know how to use it or hire a bodyguard.

But it wasn’t all bad, while traveling you could make some new friends on the road or take in the breathtaking scenery. Some might not say that the south east was very pretty but the trees were impressive enough and some of the views of the ocean on the main road couldn’t be beat. This area was mostly known for farms and agriculture.

Just a couple of walking hours outside of Kugi a young man came bursting out from the tree line. He seemed to be in a hurry. So much so that he bumped into someone else walking on the road. “S-sorry, I can’t stop. Or else…” he muttered nervously and in a very uneasy tone. Scurrying ahead in a hurry, his movements were jerky, tense. He paused at turned around to the person on the road, perhaps feeling guilty. “You should probably hurry too… I’m not sure if they’re following me.”
(@Penny)

Jihi had been on the road for several hours already. She figured she'd left sometime shortly after midnight and walked, anxiously watching the darkness around her, until the black sky turned yellow, then blue in the morning light. She'd been debating how far she'd be able to push herself before it became dangerous; it was possible her uncle Touma - who might as well be her father - would either try himself or convince a neighbour to try and catch her, and she wanted as much of a head start as she could manage. If her uncle got the chance to try and convince Jihi to come home, she wasn't sure she'd have the will to deny him. Her heart ached just thinking about him now.

It was a strange feeling, leaving home. She'd never gone beyond the furthest edges of the outermost rice paddies before. At times, it didn't feel real, like if she just looked over her shoulder she'd see the thatch-roofed women buildings and curated fields of her hamlet. Then she'd catch a glimpse of the ocean and realize she was alone in a strange land with nothing but a collection of second-hand stories to guide her. It was intimidating, and she'd even considered turning back, but forced the urge down. Her mother had made the same trip, except in reverse, and carrying a child at the same time. Surely she could do this.

Jihi shifted her backpack's weight on her shoulders and felt back with one hand, feeling the bulge of her mother's urn, comforting herself with the knowledge it was still there. She had to do this.

She stopped in her tracks, head turning, when she heard something crashing through the trees. She'd previously taken comfort in the weight of her protective leathers, but they didn't lend her any confidence now. Her hand went to one of the nunchaku at her waist, pulling it free, before she shifted into a defensive stance. Nonetheless, she was unprepared for the man bursting out of the treeline, stepping back nervously as she struck her shoulder, but it wasn't an attack. When he stopped, she lifted the hem of her hat, staring back at him with wide pink eyes.

"Wait - " she asked, taking a step towards the man. "Who's following you? What's happening?"

The young man paused for a moment to look back at Jihi. At first he couldn’t tell that she wasn’t human, but now he got a good look at her crimson features. But his frightened expression didn’t change, at least not that she could catch. “I… w-was captured… but they told me to run.” He stammered, a bit of sweat crawling down his temple. “I don’t know who they are…” he panted, his eyes widening like he was trying to remember their faces . “I… t-think they’re going to kill me. T-they looked like bandits.” He turned away suddenly. “I know a spot I can hide…” he muttered and began scurrying down the road, the same direction Jihi was initially headed. After that he didn’t really stop. It seemed as if he was truly frightened, he was doing this sort of hurried walk in between jogging and walking. A pace that one could easily keep up with if they chose.

After a few minutes of hurried walking and looking over his shoulder every second. He suddenly turned off the main road and headed down a trail that was fairly rough and was definitely not on any maps. Regardless if he was being followed by Jihi, he hiked into the woods. Disappearing from sight of the main road. If there were anyone else traveling they’d totally miss him and if there truly was someone following him, they would potentially lose him.

"Kill you?" Jihi hurried after the man, her free hand pulling the other nunchaku free from her waist. "They let you go just to chase you? That's insane!"

He had some distance on her, but at a run, Jihi easily closed the gap between her and the man's anxious trot. He wasn't moving very quickly for someone in mortal peril, especially given the nature of his pursuers. They captured him, but released him, just to find and kill him again? There was no logic or reason in it besides sheer cruelty. Only a demented sadist would do something so needlessly vicious. It was hard to imagine a whole group of them working together.

The stammer of his words. The quiver in his voice. The movement of his eyes. It was all so perfect, the very image of a terrified victim. Jihi would have loved to share the stage with him.

Jihi followed the man until he turned off the road into the forest. She allowed him to penetrate into the underbrush where it was harder to move quickly, then turned and sprinted down the road, leaving him and any accomplices her may have had behind. She didn't stop running until her lungs burned and her blood pounded in her temples, finally slowing to a walk as she looked over her shoulder, inspecting the road and trees. Nothing followed her.

After a few, long seconds to make sure, she sagged with relief, then started giggling. The giggles turned into laughter as she put her nunchaku away. She could've been robbed! Hell, she could've been killed! She put a hand to her sweaty forehead as the laughter subsided. She wasn't sure whether to be scared at how close she came or proud of having seen and avoided it. Again, a scared voice inside her said she should go back home, but she quelled it. There were thieves between her and the village now, anyway. Nowhere to go but forward.

Her hand reached behind her, pressing on the bulge of the metal urn in her back again. "What would you have done?" she whispered. "You'd probably have fought them. I bet you'd have won. Did you have to fight anyone when you came this way?"

Her hand dropped away from the bulge as she kept walking, watching the trees by the road. "Why did you come all this way?"

Last edited:
The trip from Kugi to Horozawa takes just over 12 hours. If Jihi left in very early hours, she’d be arriving in the afternoon/evening in Horozawa. The sun would be beginning to descend onto the horizon. The forest would gradually morph back into more and more fields. Farmers and their wives would be out in the paddies, hunched over and breaking their backs. Others would be pushing carts full or empty along the road perhaps into town or back home.

Glances would be given to Jihi as she passed. Some dubious looks and some just passing their gaze over her. Perhaps they were a bit wary of her presence or how she looked if they were able to get a glance of her crimson skin under her wide straw hat.

Horozawa is a farming village much like Kugi, but just a bit larger. There are more fields here than Kugi as well as a larger community. Other than that it looks and feels similar to the more rural towns. But this place had a soba and katsu shop. There were a few inns one could stay in where they’d serve hot food, drinks and have a bath. These inns also doubled as an izakaya or place where one could grab an alcoholic beverage and snack after a long day of travel or working the fields. The tailor in town could make alterations or sell you a nice kimono or even something more rugged for the fields. A blacksmith in the village could make farming tools of all kinds but there weren't any sort of weapons here. Though if attacked by bandits, the villagers wouldn’t hesitate to defend themselves with sharp farming implements. Horozawa is known for its high quality rice that’s pure white and fluffy like snow when cooked.

Jihi was well beat by the time the wilderness around her starting transitioning to farmland. A peasant herself, she was no stranger to long hours of physical activity, but the physical strain of endless walking and the mental strain of watching her treacherous surroundings had taken its toll. Under normal conditions, she'd have stopped to rest before this point, but she pushed her limits. She was still afraid that Touma or another member of her hamlet would try to catch up with her and wanted to reach Horozawa before nightfall.

She was not too tired to be friendly, however. Indeed, each fleeting encounter revitalized her just a little bit. She answered every curious appraisal or suspicious frown by lifting the hem of her hat and smiling back at them, taking particular joy whenever someone took interest in her unusual appearance. It was her special treasure, something no one else could match. Not once did it occur to her that she could be hated or distrusted for it.

Upon entering Horozawa, her first stop was to visit the main well. Drawing up a bucket of water, she cupped her hands and drank, treasuring the feeling it flowing down her throat like she never had before. She'd drained her waterskin long ago on the road and was parched. Once she was satisfied, she filled up her waterskin and looked around for the largest inn. With luck, one would even have a stage. Perhaps she could earn her keep for the night with a performance for the villagers.

The largest inn turned out to be nicest. Guests would be greeted upon entering and be presented with a large room with a tatami mat floor. Upon removing your shoes you’d be able to step up onto the raised floor and take your seat at one of the many tables or cushions. There wasn’t really a bar per se but patrons would be able to order drinks from the servers shuffling around and there were only two drinks one could order, sake or shochu. If one desired, they could pay one of the girls to go back to their room and keep them company in a strictly non-sexual way, this wasn’t a brothel. But the girls encouraged it and even pushed for it, for a bit of coin, the girls would go back with the guest and chat with them and serve them tea in their room and touching was kept to a minimum.

At the far wall of the lobby was a stage, not huge. Big enough for a geisha to play the shamisen. Walking in through the front and stepping up onto the tatami. The stage would be to the far left. The way up to the stage center was clear of any tables and zabuton. But everywhere else the tables and cushions had no specific organization or setup. The servers find their own pathways through the obstacles and patrons.

Closest to the stage is a group of 4. They seem far too drunk but are still continuing to drink. Two other pairs of gentlemen sit a bit away from the stage. Another group of 4 sit opposite from the stage and in the farthest corner sits a lone man, his straw hat down.

Jihi's eyes locked on the stage the second she entered the inn. Smiling, she tilted her hat back and let it hang behind her head by the chinstrap from her neck. It took a second to realize someone had greeted her at the door, but when she did, she looked over and spoke. "Hello! I'm Jihi, a traveling entertainer. Can I speak to whoever's in charge?"

Stepping out of her sandals, she entered the main room and sat at a table. Her stomach growled and her tongue tingled when she glanced on the drinks in guests' hands, but she resisted the urge to order something immediately. Negotiations first, Jihi, she thought. Don't get ahead of yourself.

While she waited for someone to arrive, her eyes scanned curiously over the other guests, her ears primed to eavesdrop on their conversations.

Perception roll to eavesdrop on other guests' conversations (if you want multiple rolls, let me know): 15

Insight
roll on the lone man; is he as relaxed as a local, or does he look like another traveler? Does he have his hat down for privacy, or is he just napping? 17

Last edited:
The woman greeting Jihi bowed low as she entered the inn. “Welcome! How may we serve you today?” She lifted her head back up. “A traveling entertainer? One moment Jihi-san, I’ll get the inn manager.” The woman, essentially the receptionist, stood up and shuffled away to somewhere to the back of the inn.

The man alone in the corner was definitely sleeping. Jihi could even catch a few loud snores coming from him. Definitely a drunk of some sort, sake bottles covered his table and were presumably empty. A server even came by to wake him, but he didn’t stir no matter how much she shook him or raised her voice. A glint of a steel hilt next to him would indicate a sword of some kind, most likely a katana. Perhaps a soldier or a drunk swordsman, or didn’t even know how to use it. Stolen valor was a big thing among traveling bums nowadays especially in the rural areas.

Only the closest tables could be heard, one group of 4 and the two pairs of men. One of the pairs was talking about how one of the nearby towns has been having young women go missing and the various men of the town are being accused and executed by the mayor's small group of swordsmen. Then something about a rice shortage, they hear rumors of rice being rationed out if it continues like this. The other pair of men briefly talk about Jihi, they seem more curious but they continue their conversation about heading north with their families. The group of 4 farthest away from Jihi are talking about how they believe the ground outside the town is cursed or sick and that it’s making its way in towards the town.

After a moment, a short old man shuffled out of the back. He’s wearing a brown kimono with trouser-like pants. Shuffling up to Jihi, he sits down. “You’re an entertainer?” He bows his head at her and smiles.

"Yes, sir," Jihi said, bowing her head respectfully at the man. She rested a hand on the tabletop and leaned forward, smiling. "I am an actress. If you'll allow me, I will entertain your guests tonight by performing on that stage."

She pointed at the stage against the far wall. It was smaller than the stages Jihi had typically used, but since this would be a solo performance, it would probably be fine. "I have my own costumes, a script, and even special effects. It will be a show unlike any your guests have seen before! I can start immediately, or I can wait if you want your employees to tell the people of Horozawa that you'll have a show tonight."

She smiled at him again. "In return, I want a room for the night, a bath, and a hearty dinner." After a moment, she added, "And breakfast."

Persuasion check to negotiate a deal: 26

The manager stared at Jihi for a long moment, his face flat with a hint of irritation, like he wasn’t amused by her proposition. But his face turned into a grin as he beamed at her. “We actually have been looking for entertainment for the inn for quite awhile actually. It’s destiny that brought you here.” He nodded. “I accept your terms and I’ll add, depending on how you do, any tips we receive you will get a share.” He climbed to his feet. “We’ve got a show tonight!” He laughed. “Let’s get as many people as we can. While you get ready, I’ll inform the town of your show.” He grinned down at Jihi. “Break a leg.” The manager turned and shuffled into the back area, not before he spoke to the receptionist about their deal and to send someone out to spread the word.

It would give Jihi some time to prepare. She had about an hour and a half to get everything ready before patrons started to arrive. The inn would be full before the hour ended of patrons ready to see what Jihi had to offer. Though the group of 4 nearest the stage would be talking about her, they seemed skeptical that a girl of her kind could put on a show of any worth. The drunk swordsman slept through the whole performance even when crowded by people.

Jihi's smile faltered as the proprietor stared her down, her brow furrowing in concern. She chuckled weakly in relief when his expression changed, but still gave his back a worried look when he walked away, her confidence shaken.

Insight roll to determine what the manager was thinking: 5

She didn't need the full hour and a half to prepare. From the beginning, she'd planned to earn her stay in inns using her acting skills, and she'd spent some of her time on the road planning solo performances in her head. Though she took some time to solidify her outline, the first thing she did after the manager left her was to stand and approach the group of four she'd eavesdropped on earlier.

"Good evening, gentlemen," she said, sitting at the table uninvited. "I am Jihi, a traveler. I heard you say the ground outside the town is sick. Where? And how is it sick? I may have to cross it when I continue my travels and I want to be prepared."

Persuasion roll to get the men to talk: 26

Back in her own hamlet, Jihi didn't give solo performances. All of the plays were with other members of the community, so this was a new experience for her. Her semi-improvised script stole two of her favourite roles from other plays: a raunchy comedy about a vain, unfaithful wife and a tragic morality tale about an oni who attempts to conquer an entire forest and neighbouring village, creating a dramedy about a spoiled young wife who cheats on her husband with an oni, both played by Jihi in her different costumes. At the last moment, she created a third character - the husband, represented by her traveling clothes - who served as the narrator, tying the disparate features of the plot together. She also used her sorcery as special effects - mostly to lend oomph to her portrayal of the oni, but also more subtly to indicate scene transitions or otherwise invoke tone.

As she prepared, however, she couldn't help but overhear the drunken quartet near the stage. Annoyed by their lack of faith, she tried to determine what exactly what the basis of their skepticism was, just so she could prove them wrong.

Insight or Investigation roll (I don't know which is more appropriate, but they both have a +2 bonus anyway) to determine why the drunken four don't like her: 21

Performance
roll to put on a good show: 20 (These dice are on fire!)

Jihi is not a gifted writer, but not a bad improvisor. The combination of damatically different source material gave the play an inconsistent, zig-zagging emotional tone, but her comic timing and convincing pathos made it work somehow, the erratic shifts only increasing the dramatic torque when it could have easily descended into nonsense. She covered up any plot holes with the husband's narration, playing them off as sudden twists - implicitly complimenting audience members observant enough to notice them - instead of mistakes. The husband's soliloquy even ended with a punchline somehow both funny and emotionally touching.

Once the play was over, Jihi headed backstage - or whatever passed for backstage here - and sagged against the wall in relief, willing her racing heart to calm down as she waited for the inn's manager to talk to her about her performance and their deal.

The manger is hard to read, in the end though it really seemed like he was happy to have Jihi perform in his inn. He didn’t look back at Jihi as he shuffled away to the back.

The group of four that Jihi had eavesdropped on were busy chatting away till Jihi approached. The one talking stopped abruptly and looked over at Jihi, his expression wasn’t hostile but was the typical way you’d look at like a lost child. They all watched as she took a place at the table, all of them a bit puzzled at her bold gesture. As Jihi asks her probing questions, they give each other a look, as if asking if it’s okay if she knows. One of them finally pipes up.

“The ground towards the north is sick, blighted. Many of the crops over there will have to be abandoned as everything is starting to die. It even seems to affect the trees. We don’t exactly know where it’s coming from but the other farmers suspect it’s coming from the mountain. We’ve suggested sending someone up to investigate the origin but no one is willing. You know… I’m going to be honest, you don’t look too rugged, but if you were to find the source and perhaps do something about it. I’m sure the village leader would give you a reward.” The guy shrugged. Another added in. “If you stick to the road you won’t have to worry, but you’ll be able to see the trees and ground. It just looks like they’re all rotting.” That seems to be all they know.

The other group of four was nearest the stage and Jihi could easily listen into their conversation and pick up on their thoughts. It seems that they were mostly bothered by her appearance and that she seemed so young. They continually made passing derisive comments but eventually by the end of the play they were laughing and enjoying her performance. Perhaps they finally had enough to drink to look past their bigotry or forgot.

The crowd would react enough to her performance, laughing at the jokes and punchlines. The crowd gave Jihi an applause as she stepped off stage. There was a hallway just behind the stage leading to the kitchen that served as sort of a backstage. The manager approached Jihi after her play. “Well done, Jihi!” He laughed as he shuffled up to her. “It was wonderful and everyone loved you! As we agreed you will have a full meal waiting for you in your room and the bath will be prepared for you. Also here’s a little bonus for you for doing so well. A portion of the tips we made tonight. 70 mon.” He holds out a small sack for her to take, containing 70 mon. “One of the servers will take you to your room when you’re ready.” He smiles at her before shuffling away.

Last edited:
"Wait, sir," Jihi says as the man turns to leave. "May I eat with the others instead of alone in my room?"

The manager pauses and turns back around to Jihi. “Of course, I just assumed you’d like a little privacy and quiet time to relax as you ate Horozawa’s best kaiseki.” He grinned. “It’s definitely better than those other inns.” He put his hand up and whispered, like he was telling her a secret. “But I’ll have them bring you your dinner at whatever table you wish. Just take your pick.” The manager bows at her once more before spinning back around to leave. By now many of the patrons had begun to leave and many of the tables were freed up once more.

Jihi returned to the dining area. Initially she sat alone at her own table, but if anyone asked to join her or if she was invited to join another table, she happily accepted, eager to make friends. She ravenously devoured her food - she'd been on her feet all day and hadn't eaten since she left her home last night - but drank even more. She gulped down all of the sake that came with her meal and paid for more if she had to, not stopping until she was thoroughly drunk and reveling with anyone who cared to join her.

At some point in the night, Jihi managed to secure a scrap of paper and something to write on it with. Jihi's calligraphy wasn't great - there wasn't much need or opportunity to read or write in her home village, and many of the adults only taught their children because they themselves were raised in other, larger communities - and her inebriation didn't help, but she managed to scrawl out a legible message:
Want your help to go up the montain mountain
fix sick land
can pay money!!!
- Jihi
(redgirl)
She folded the message, approached the drunk swordsman, and slipped it into his clothes before tottering off to continue her drinking.

Once she was finally worn out, she slipped off to the bath, leaving her clothes a rumpled pile on the floor as she stepped into the water. Between her physical and mental fatigue, the dirt on her skin, and the alcohol in her system, the hot water was utter bliss. She barely even bothered to wash herself before simply leaning against the side of the bath, closing her eyes, and breathing a sigh of relief. In seconds, one hand had slipped between her legs and she began to fill the room with soft sighs of pleasure. Minutes later, she felt herself release with a long, high-pitched moan that echoed off the walls of the room, then felt her body go slack, her consciousness drifting away as if she was melting into the water...

A moment later she was shocked awake with a gasp, splashing. She'd dozed off in the bath and her head had slipped under the water. The shock of adrenaline woke her up enough to climb out of the bath and dry herself off before gathering her clothes under her arm and stumbling naked to her bedroom, where she slept until morning.

The group of four that were closest to the stage invited Jihi over. One of them boisterously calling her over and waving for her. They paid for a few drinks for her. It seemed they didn’t have any ulterior motives although they might’ve had some other ideas if her performance hadn’t won them over. Jihi was brought her meal, a multicourse meal that the inn typically served the guests in the private suites. First the appetizer was brought out, then a hosomaki roll with tuna was brought out along with a small arrangement of sashimi. Miso soup and rice was brought out along with some grilled mackerel and several pickled dishes. Finally a raindrop cake as dessert. The sweet, clear bubble resting on a delicate leaf as it was brought to Jihi. Normally only a small bottle of sake was served with the dinner but it seemed like Jihi had made them a lot of money so she was allowed as many drinks as she desired.

The passed out swordsman stayed asleep through the performance and on into the night. No one seemed brave or abrasive enough to wake him to kick him out. It did seem like he purchased a lot of alcohol from them anyways.

Jihi’s bath was prepared. Her room was one of two private suites. The rooms were identical to the other but these ones had private baths where the others had to use the public bath. The bathroom was connected to the room and was simply a room with a bath and a stone floor. The room, like the others, had four tatamis and her bed was already prepared in the center of the floor. The light in the room was a singular lamp hanging from the ceiling. She was also provided a yukata to wear around the inn and around the bath.

The next morning a small polite knock would come at Jihi’s room door. And a voice would come through. “Miss your breakfast is ready, are you alright with eating in your room? If you are I’ll be glad to serve you now.” She wouldn’t enter unless invited in.

"Uuuuhuungh?" Jihi, awoken by the knock, tried to roll over but found herself snarled in the bedding. Her head hurt, her mouth tasted funny, and the lamplight - for it was still burning - seemed to pierce through her eyeballs directly into her skull, where it joined the confused slurry of thoughts bouncing around without order or direction. Clenching her eyes shut and sitting upright, she realized she was still naked and pulled her blankets over her chest. Her unclothed state was still obvious, but at least the server wouldn't see anything she didn't want to. "Uh, okay, yeah. Come in."

It wasn't until a second after the door opened that her eyes - or rather, one squinting eye, with the other still clenched against the light - fell on the yukata, still folded as it had been provided to her, just arm's reach away. Oh well. She'd carried it with her other clothes back from the bath, her drunken brain somehow thinking it would be better to chance the quick walk from her bath to her room rather than try to navigate her arms through the sleeves. Despite her condition, Jihi squinted up at the server with a pained but genuine smile. The food would help her condition, and besides, just having someone nearby brightened her mood.

"Thank you," Jihi said, picking up her chopsticks with one hand while the other still held the blanket over her body. If the inns breakfasts were as good as its dinners, this morning was looking up. "Wait, before you go - did anyone ask about me? Maybe the swordsman who was here last night?"

The server listened closely to Jihi and once Jihi allowed her in. The door slid open and revealed a very polite looking woman dressed in a pink kimono. She kicked off her slippers and stepped up into the room. Shuffling to the foot of the futon, she set a small table in front of Jihi. Then shuffling back to the door she took a tray of food and shuffled back to the table and set it down. “Enjoy, please let us know if you need anything.” She bowed low before peeking back up and looking at Jihi. “Oh! That swordsman.” She sort of grumbled but regained her polite facade. “He did ask about a red girl, I suppose he was talking about you. At first we thought it was an innuendo. We told him that you were sleeping and he left early this morning. Were you looking for him? I could let him know if we see him again.” She bowed again before shuffling out of the room, stepping down and slipping on her slippers. She closed the door behind her very softly.

The inn's breakfast was pretty much the same regardless of what room one was staying in. It was very close to typical breakfast. A rolled egg omelette with some salted and grilled salmon, a side of rice and miso soup, natto to put over the rice and of course some pickled vegetables.

"He didn't say where he went?" Jihi started with the salmon, popping it into her mouth as she spoke to the woman. Immediately she paused, taking a deep breath before sighing in relief. The strong salty flavour focused her senses and the meat soothed the pain of her hangover. "Hope I can find him. I'm going up the mountain and I want someone who can fight...and needs drinking money.

"Don't bother telling him if he comes back. I'm leaving town today."
Jihi still couldn't be sure that her uncle or anyone else from her hamlet wasn't following her. Her forced march yesterday must have helped, but she couldn't stay in Horozawa for long. Even a detour up the mountain was risky, but if it was north of the village, then it was on her route anyway, or so she hoped. She could really use a map.

She looked up as the woman left the room. "Just one more thing! Can I see the owner before I go?"

She felt better after finishing the food; her head still ached and her eyes and ears still bemoaned every disturbance, but the food lent her enough energy to get on the road. She didn't know what to do with the table, dishes, or yukata, and so left them in the room after dressing and gathering her things. Stepping out into the common area, she found the inn owner - asking another employee to bring him if possible - and spoke to him.

"Thank you again for the opportunity to perform in your inn," Jihi told him, smiling. "Before I go...did a pregnant woman by the name of Setsuna stay at this inn about twenty years ago? She'd have been with a man named Touma. I don't know if she stayed here or if you'd even remember if she did, but if so...can you tell me anything about her? Or either of them?"

The inn worker nodded as she left, hearing Jihi’s request. After disappearing, no one would bother Jihi for the rest of the morning till she exited her room. Out in the lobby there was a considerably less amount of people than the night before. A couple of the travelers were awake and enjoying breakfast, the rest were probably sleeping in. Jihi didn’t need to ask a second worker for the owner as he was already waiting for Jihi.

“Ah! Good morning. I hope you slept well, be sure to tell everyone about your stay here on your travels, hmm?” After bowing initially to Jihi, he listened to what she had to ask. “Oh, you are free to perform whenever you’re in town, it’s too bad you aren’t staying permanently or else I’d have to hire you.” A small chuckle. “Hmmm, twenty years is a long time, mmm.” The owner’s face scrunches up as he thinks. “You know what, I think I do remember them, I never caught their names though. Pretty woman, looked strong though, not by strength but by fighting spirit. But I wouldn’t have wanted to get in a fight with her, pregnant or otherwise.” Another chuckle. “I’m sorry but I can’t add much more than that, I didn’t talk to them much, although I was much more customer facing back then. The inn was actually just getting started. Jihi, I bid you safe travels.” If that was all Jihi had to him, he would bow and wave until she left.

Then if Jihi had no other business in the inn, then outside she would find the drunk swordsman. His face would be concealed by the brim of his wide straw hat. Looking up at Jihi he would approach her. “The red girl… you were looking for me? Listen… if we fucked last night, I’m sorry but… I don’t remember.” He didn’t seem drunk enough to slur his words but his voice was like gravel on steel and the smell of sake was present on his breath. On his hip was a katana and a large drinking gourd.

Jihi smiled at the innkeeper, silently thinking for a moment. Her smile was thankful but melancholy at the same time. She was lucky the innkeeper remembered as much about her mother as he did, she knew, but she still wished he could tell her more. It's not his fault he didn't know her better, she thought. It's yours for not learning more about her when you had the chance. It's yours for thinking she'd be there forever.

Jihi blinked rapidly for a second and realized she was frowning. She smiled again and bowed to the innkeeper. "Thank you for everything. You will see me if I'm ever in Horozawa again."

She brightened after stepping outside and seeing the swordsman. She tipped her hat up to show her face, eyes twinkling with excitement, and dismissed his concerns with a wave of his hand. "Oh, no, no! You were asleep the whole evening. I want to hire you!

"I'm told the land to the north of the village is blighted. It's killing the crops, even the trees. The villagers think the source is something up the mountain. Have you ever been to the mountain? I want your help to find the problem and fix it. It shouldn't take too long! I hope. You do know how to use that sword, right?"

Last edited:
"Eh? Hire me? Well how much we talkin'?" The swordsman scratched the back of his head. "I mean, I've gone into the mountains a few times. Though not that mountain specifically. Hmm. Huh? Oh don't worry about it, I can swing a sword just fine." He shrugs and proceeds to take a swig from his gourd. "Fine, I'll do it for 20 sho now and half of whatever you're getting for this job." He shrugs once more, but doesn't hold his hand out for the money. "Let's get going. It's going to take a while climbing the mountain." He shuffles off towards the edge of the village, his straw sandals crunch and kick up dirt on the gravel and dirt road as he half drags his feet. "Where did you say this was? North?" He continues to shuffle in that direction. As he walks, he has a slouched posture that mostly looks at his feet. Perhaps not what one would expect from a swordsman. A few burps escape his lips.

(You can haggle with a successful persuasion check)

"Twenty?" Jihi cocked her head to the side. She was about to offer the seventy she got from last night, but he'd beat her to it. "Yes! Twenty sho is fine!"

She fell into step beside him. At first she was excited, but then she noticed his gait and posture. Not many swordsmen passed through her home, but she'd expect one to have more spring in his step. Is he still drunk? she thought, watching him slouch and burp along. All of a sudden, she was feeling a lot less confident about hiring him, or putting her life in his hands - or his in hers - as they investigated the blight.

"Yes, north," she said carefully, watching him from the corner of her eye. "I've never been there, so we'll follow the blighted land. So...what kind of fighting experience do you have?"

She remained silent as he answered, carefully judging his response to determine its honesty.

Insight roll to judge the honesty of the swordsman's response: 11

The swordsman hesitated for a long while. Either from thinking of an excuse or didn't want to answer. Either way it didn't seem like a very good sign. "Fighting experience?" He asked, seeing if he heard right. "The sword kind, I don't know what else you mean. I have enough experience." He grumbled a bit abrasively, it was a snarky response. It was hard to determine if he was deflecting the question or not. It would seem like there is a good chance he knows how to use the sword in the past, but when was the last time he practiced or had to use it? Would he be able to even swing it while inebriated? It was hard to tell.

The pair came to the edge of town where the dirt road began to snake between rice paddies and fields. Many of which were empty and/or dying. The ones closest to the village still seemed fine for now with the fields closest to the mountain and where the trees begin, seem abandoned. Central to the fields is a shallow river that feeds down from the woods to the fields.

The swordsman shuffles up to the tainted rice field and crouches down to investigate. "Yep, looks sick alright." He nods. It clearly seems like he has no idea what he’s looking at or for.

(You can choose either investigation or insight to learn more.)

Back
Top Bottom