Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ashes in the Breeze (Japanese Inspired 5e in-character) (nsfw)

“I understand, I’ll take full responsibility for his loss.” Shiroma responded soberly. “Thank you for helping us.” Shiroma bowed his head once more.

It seems there’s really no reason for him to deceive Jihi. As the village elder and leader he had a reputation to uphold and deceiving the person who helped them would certainly undermine that. It seemed as if she really was free to count, if there really were any mistakes on his part he seems like the person to right it.

He seemed genuine, so Jihi didn't bother counting the money. She bowed her head in return and stood. "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help. Good luck, Shiroma-sama."

Exiting the house, Jihi stepped into her sandals and walked out into the sun. Walking to the road, she took a moment to gaze out over Horozawa, admiring the sight, then turned to look at the mountain. Mita was up there, somewhere. Jihi sighed, thinking of him all alone. He'd left his entire life to be with the one he loved, and now that one was dead. She couldn't - or didn't want to - imagine how lonely he was now, trapped between the worlds of humanity and yōkai, half of one and half the other.

Her hand went to the hard shape in her pack again. "What about you?" she whispered. "Why did you and Uncle come so far? Did they throw you out? Or did you not want to be a part of them anymore?"

After a moment, her hand dropped away from the pack. She shifted her hat to the top of her head again and starting walking the road to the next town on her route.

"You as well." Shiroma flashed her a warm smile and bowed to her one last time. As Jihi exited the house, Shiroma's wife followed her to the front door. "Thank you young girl." She bowed deeply as Jihi left, continuing to watch her until she couldn't see her anymore.

Jihi was back on the road again. The dirt and gravel crunching underneath her feet. A strong breeze blew through the trees making them shiver and sway gently. Towards the south, between the trees, the ocean was visible. Waves glittering in the morning sun. As long as Jihi kept pressing nothing of note happened till mid day.

She had crossed a bridge and came across a side road that led into a more rough looking wilderness. The main road continued on ahead. There was no sign that indicated where the rough road led to but it was certainly in the direction of Ninama. It was overcast now, grey clouds loomed overhead. She might estimate another few hours till she would need to rest, unless she decided to push into the night.

Jihi's melancholy feeling passed quickly. Walking on the lonely road - mountains to her right, ocean to her left, wind whispering through the leaves of the forest - gave her a sense of peace. She began to lose her sense of time, thinking neither of what happened before or what will happen after, living only in the slowly changing now as she watched her unfamiliar surroundings for danger. That lasted until the sun started to hit the water at the right angle to shine harshly into her eyes. She frowned and pulled the hat lower, but the glare was coming from below. Eventually she had to pull her hat off and let it hang to the left side of her head, grumbling.

She came to a crossroads. She looked back and forth between the two roads, trying to decide. She knew the main road would take her to Ninama, her planned destination, but she also knew she'd have to follow it a while before joining up with another major road, which would add a lot to her journey. This other road might be a useful shortcut, but she couldn't be sure.

Why not try the wilderness? something asked within her. You've already left the safety of your home, and you're doing alright so far. Why not push it further? Imagine what you'll find in there.

She gazed down the rough road, allowing the sounds of the forest and ocean to envelop her. With the clouds hidden, the thick trees cast deep shadows, but she could still see within them. Her eyes were not like human eyes. So much of her was not like humanity.

There may be more oni in there.

After several long seconds, Jihi turned her eyes away from the rough road and shook her head, trying to throw off the spell that had fallen over her. What was she, crazy? She barely had the skills to make camp on the side of the road, let alone brave the wilderness. What if she got lost? What if something attacked her? No one was coming to save her. Better to play it safe. She focused her head on the main road and strode forward, resisting the urge to look back at the other path.

Another hour or so into Jihi's journey, the clouds hung ominously overhead. They darkened before starting to drizzle a light rain down on Jihi. The tiny raindrops lightly pattering against the top of her hat. The salty ocean air wafted in along with the rain. Another hour in and the rain picked up. She crossed two more bridges.

Finally at the end of the day as the sun began to set behind the storm clouds, Jihi came to a fork in the road. One path continued straight towards the north, the other branched off towards the east. There was a sign poised between the two roads. Towards the north was Mutsushina, towards the east was Ninama.

If Jihi continued on foot, she would be traveling in the dark and in the rain. Sadly it didn't seem like there were any convenient shelters in the immediate area.

"Damn it!" Jihi swore as she finally reached the fork in the road. She thought back to the map she'd studied before leaving. It would still be a while before she reached Ninama, and by the time she did, it would be well into the night. She was already tired, and whatever inns were in Ninama would probably have closed their doors by the time she arrived anyway. She might as well stop here and wait for the morning.

Jihi entered the forest, keeping the road in sight but looking for a tree large enough to shelter under and avoid some of the rain. Her hat had kept it off her face, but her clothes were unpleasantly damp, and she wasn't sure she'd even be able to lay down her bedroll without soaking it through as well. She'd brought nothing to protect herself from the rain. "Stupid, Jihi," she said to herself.

Once she found a large enough tree to keep some of the rain off, she sat with her back against its trunk, hugging her knees against her chest. She'd had to work in the rain before, of course, but she'd always known a warm, dry home was waiting for her at the end of the day. The prospect of sleeping outside in the wet was a new one, and she didn't like it. She couldn't even light a fire and dry off; any firewood in the forest was wet by now, and she had nowhere to make the fire where it wouldn't be rained on. Resting her chin on her knees, she sighed through her nose and unwrapped one of her rations. She didn't think she'd be getting much sleep tonight, but at least some food would warm her up.

The rain pattered against the trees and all around Jihi as she took shelter beneath the tree that gave her the most dry area. But still it wasn't completely dry as rain dripped through the canopy of leaves and nettles. Tonight was going to be a long night it seemed, as Jihi would have trouble getting any rest.

The tree wasn't too far from the main road, just enough away that no one would immediately see her but that she could see the road through the trees. After a long hour of huddling against the tree trunk. She'd spot a light through the trees. I moved along the road and came to the fork. The light source flickered and was definitely a lantern hanging and swinging from a pole. The individual stood at the split in the road and waited. They wore a big wide brimmed cone hat and a white kimono. They were a bit shorter than Jihi. They waited and waited, just simply standing at the fork.

With her belly full, Jihi had nothing left to occupy her time. She considered reading the book Mita had given her, but the rainy night was too dark for even her to read in, and she didn't want to risk lighting up her lantern. She tried to retreat into her own mind, devising new stories for future plays, but it was difficult to concentrate in her uncomfortable surroundings. The seconds dragged past with unbearable slowness.

When she first saw the light, she wasn't sure her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. Once the figure came into view, Jihi felt confused. What were they doing out here, walking in the night and the rain? Why did they stop at the crossroads?

Jihi pushed off from the tree, transitioning to a crouch. She squinted at the figure, examining them for weapons, mismatched equipment, or other clues as to their nature. Jihi would welcome some company on a night like this, but she had to be careful of bandits.

Investigation check to determine if the figure is dangerous: 12

Peering at the stranger through the darkness with only their lantern illuminating their figure. It didn't immediately seem like they were dangerous. They didn't have any obviously visible weapons on their person that Jihi could see. It was a bit too hard to see if they were wearing anything underneath their white kimono, but they wore simple sandals with tabi socks. Their face was concealed beneath the brim of their hat, that dripped rain water. They figure didn't seem very physically strong, perhaps just as strong if not less strong than Jihi.

"Hmm," Jihi hummed to herself, looking at the stranger. They didn't seem dangerous, but they were still behaving oddly. Even if they didn't care about the rain or the night, Jihi couldn't guess why anyone would simply stop and stand in the middle of the fork.

Maybe they're lost, or can't read, she thought. Maybe they need my help.

Maybe they're a yōkai,
she also thought. Maybe I should keep my distance.

In the end, it wasn't logic that dictated her actions. She was just miserable huddling alone in the rain and was willing to take the risk for some company. Grabbing her backpack, she stepped out of the trees and hailed the traveler.

"Hello!" she called out while still far enough away to not appear threatening. She waved to with one hand, while the other held the brim of her hat in place to keep as much rain off her face as possible. "I'm Jihi! I was traveling to Ninama, but I got caught in the rain. Are you alright?"

The individual moved their head toward Jihi as soon as she called out, showing herself. At first they didn't make any movements or notions of communicating with Jihi, till a moment later they tilted their head up so their face was revealed in the lantern light. It seemed to be an old woman, perhaps past her 70s. She squinted at Jihi for a moment before grinning at her.

"Nice to meet you Jihi! My nam is Yuu and I'm alright thank you." She gives Jihi a nod as the rain drips off of her hat and lantern. "I actually stand here from time to time at night to help weary travelers on their way to Ninama and Mutsushina with a place to stay during the night. Jihi, would you like to come stay at my small home for the night?" She asked as she turned away, peering over her shoulder at Jihi.

"It's dry and warm, come, follow me. It’s not far from here. " She didn't wait for Jihi's answer before she began to trudge into the forest at the edge of the main road, waving her hand for Jihi to follow.

Jihi watched Yuu's back for a moment, unsure what to do. This seemed fishy. Why would this woman trust Jihi to come into her home? If she did this regularly, why didn't she put up a sign? And why did it take her a moment to respond to Jihi's hail?

Jihi replayed the woman's words in her head, analyzing them for hidden intent. She didn't think there was anything funny about them. Perhaps the woman was trustworthy after all.

What are your options, Jihi? she thought to herself. Either you trust her, or you stay out here all night.

Jihi felt the rainwater running over her skin beneath her clothes, then moved her hand to her pack, feeling the heavy weight of the urn. Be brave, Jihi. She set off after the woman, adjusting her hat to keep the rain off her face.

I rolled Insight to gauge the woman's trustworthiness and got a 7. I went ahead and assumed this meant if the woman is lying anything, Jihi didn't pick up on it.

With Jihi following behind, the old woman pushed through the seemingly rough wilderness. It wasn't immediately apparent that anyone had been through here before but perhaps she kept her home well hidden. There could be many reasons one didn't want their home discovered in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps she was even wary of the travelers she took in. But there didn't seem like any good reason for Yuu to be lying.

Finally, after a few minutes the forest broke out into a clearing. At the center of the clearing was a house and it was far from small from what Yuu had said. It was more like a mansion. It was a bit dilapidated but it seemed warm and would get Jihi out of the rain.

The old woman trudged towards her home and stepped up onto the stones at the front door. A few lights inside flickered through the cracks in the closed windows and doors. Yuu slid the front door open and shook off her hat before stepping inside. She turned to look back at Jihi. "Come on in." She smiled, waving her hand across her body.

Jihi paused when she emerged into the clearing, looking up at the house, wondering if her eyes playing tricks on her in the dark. It was without a doubt the largest house she'd ever seen; there may have been a couple of common buildings back home that were larger, but certainly no homes. For a moment, Jihi wondered if this was actually an inn and the woman had not mentioned as such, but why would anyone hide an inn away like this?

"I thought you said this was a small home!" Jihi said, following the woman up to the front door. She stepped out of her sandals and removed her hat, as Yuu had done, before entering. "It must be difficult to take care of a place like this on your own."

Stepping out of the rain was a relief. Once she was inside, Jihi took a deep breath, then smiles at the woman. "Thank you so much for letting me into your home, Yuu-sama. Please tell me if there's anything I can do to repay you."

Yuu stepped out of the way as Jihi entered, removing her sandals and hat before sliding the door shut. "Oh it's no problem, Jihi, it's my pleasure!" She grinned at Jihi. Her face was deeply wrinkled and sported her grey hair in a bun atop her head. She set her lantern aside and blew out the flame. "Come, I'll show you your room."

She began to make her way into the house. Her feet shuffled along the floor as she led Jihi deeper into the house. They passed by several rooms, most of them were dark but a few had a dim light flickering behind its paper walls. The house featured a small garden at its center, Yuu took a right turn skirting the courtyard. She led Jihi through a room and out the other, closing the doors behind. Then finally she turned left and slid a door open. The room was a typical Japanese room with tatami on the floor. It was four tatamis big. "Make sure to get a lot of rest, okay? The futons are over there…" She points to the wall where some shelves hold blankets and mattresses.

"I'll be around if you need me and don't be scared if you see one of the others around here."
With that she smiled and began to shuffle away. The house was eerily quiet besides the gentle pattering of rain on the room. Everything creaked and upon closer inspection there was a fine layer of dust on the floor and walls of the room. Spider webs lined the corners and the doors squeaked loudly in their tracks.

"Thank you again, Yuu-sama," said JIhi, bowing as Yuu left the room. Shutting the door, Jihi removed her backpack, and stripped out of her protective leathers, then her wet traveling clothes. Thankfully, her hat had kept most of the rain out of her hair, but even then, she was damp all over. Naked, she unrolled the futon and laid down, covering herself with the blanket. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and tried to relax.

Two minutes later, she sat up and threw the blanket off of her. Who am I kidding? she thought. Anxiety gnawed at her stomach and crawled up and down her nerves. She'd been willing to trust Yuu when she met her in the forest, but everything about this house seemed suspicious. Why was it so large, but so isolated? Why did it look like no one had been in this room for a long time? Why was the house so quiet when she'd seen lights on in some of the rooms?

Her instincts screamed to run out of the house and not look back, but she tried to ignore them. If there was something going on here, she wanted to know what it was. Her traveling clothes were still wet, so she donned her stage kimono, slipping her nunchaku, knife, and thieves' tools into her clothes in case she needed them. Carefully, she opened the door and stepped out of the room, trying to retrace her steps until she reached one of the lit rooms she'd seen earlier. She walked quietly, trying to avoid making noise on the creaking floor.

Stealth roll to move through the halls quietly: 5, 10. I wasn't sure if the creaky floorboards and squeaky doors would instill disadvantage, so I rolled twice just in case, but the first roll was the worst one anyway.

Creeping back out of her room, Jihi crept down the hall till she found a lit room. The floor creaked beneath her feet. Through the paper wall, she could see the flame of the lantern flickering. There was also… a shadow. A figure sat in the room, coupled with quiet whispering. But as soon as Jihi approached, It jerked its head up, the whispering stopped. Then after a moment it jumped up and with the rapid thumping of footsteps, disappeared.

If Jihi decided to slide the door open, she would find an empty room. Lantern flickering in the center. There wasn't any immediate indication that someone had been in the room besides the lantern. On the opposite side of the room was another door that was closed.

Jihi blinked at the empty room, looking down at the lantern. Her mind raced with the information she'd been given, trying to put it together. The person, whoever they were, was probably not another one of Yuu's guests, since there wasn't a coat or pack or any other traveling gear left in the room. Furthermore, whoever the person was, they were afraid of being found by Jihi.

Despite how odd the occurrence was, she found it a little reassuring. If she was correct, this person lived in the house but was afraid of Jihi. That led Jihi to believe that she didn't have to fear the house or the people living there.

If she was correct.

She stepped into the room, picked up the lantern, and held it high while she knocked on the opposite door. "Hello?" she asked. "I'm sorry if I scared you. Yuu-sama said I could stay for the night. I couldn't sleep and went for a walk around. I didn't mean to startle you. Do you want to talk?"

A beat passed after Jihi knocked on the door with no answer. Then a moment passed before a voice came through the door. It was hard to hear as it came through as a harsh whisper. "No!" They responded in a hiss. "I'm not interested in talking to you."

Just then a low thumping could be heard coming from the hall. It sounded like footsteps, heavy, slow, something bigger than Jihi. Thump! Thump! The step came. "Turn out the light!" The voice hissed once more.

Jihi's head turned at the sound of footsteps. That is not Yuu-sama, Jihi thought. It could have been another guest, but somehow she doubted it. Swiftly, she blew out the lantern's flame, but she wasn't confident that would save her. She could see well enough in the dark, and she knew her ability was not unique.

As quietly as she could, she pressed herself against the wall with the room's exterior door so she could not be seen from the hallway, and waited for the approaching entity to pass.

Stealth check: 12. I wasn't sure whether disadvantage should be applied since I've got both squeaky floors and tatami mats (?) to work with, so let me know if you want me to roll again.

The heavy footsteps drew closer. As soon as the lantern went out, it was nearly pitch black, but Jihi was able to pierce the darkness with her dark vision. Still the thumping drew closer. Closer and closer. Jihi's view of the hallway was obscured as she pressed herself against the wall just next to the doorway. The thumping drew closer till they reached their peak volume at the doorway. Suddenly the thumping stopped. Jihi could hear huffing breaths cutting through the silence over her own quiet breathing. Whatever was there waited for a long moment. Seconds passed, then a minute. Then after another minute, it began to continue down the hall. Till the heavy footsteps faded away. Then, silence, darkness.

Jihi had initially just planned to wait for the approaching steps to pass, then stick her head out and get a look at the back of whatever was making them. After it paused for a couple of minutes in front of the room, however, she only focused on not making a sound. She barely even breathed, afraid it would give her away despite the stranger's own much louder huffing. Even after the footsteps faded away, she waited for a minute in unmoving silence before relaxing and creeping across the room to the closed door.

"What the hell was that?!" she whispered urgently at the door.

“A resident of this terrible place.” The voice hisses back. A beat passed. “Are you still there? Go away. If you’re a guest I suggest you find your way out of here, maybe you’ll have better luck than me.” The person on the other side whispered harshly.

"Come with me, then!" Jihi whispered, almost pressing her head against the door. "We'll leave together! What are you staying here for, anyway?"

She gave the door a pouty frown, as if whoever was on the other side could see her. "And don't tell me you're a ghost or something. You're too afraid to already be dead."

There was silence from behind the door for a couple of seconds. Then finally a heavy sigh came from behind the door. The door slowly slid open, revealing a mostly empty closet besides some dusty futons and blankets. Crouched on the floor underneath one of the shelves was a figure. They slowly stepped out from beneath the shelf and stood up to face Jihi.

They had long, straight raven colored hair. Eyes that seemed to glitter amber even in the dark with thin pupils. Her features were very fox-like, thin nose and face. If that wasn't enough of a give away, they had a pair of fox ears poking out of their dark hair. Her kimono was red with a black haori over top. Beneath her kimono a bushy black tail swished along the floor. "I'm… not afraid." They huffed. "And if you know a way out, go ahead and show me. I've already tried getting out." She rolled her eyes. “I didn’t expect you to be an oni.”

Back
Top Bottom