Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fandom RP: Why or Why Not?

Breezi

Purah Brainrot
So, this is something that I've been thinking about for some time and it's not meant to be accusing anyone of anything but I've noticed in my experiences elsewhere that there's somewhat of a dual-stigma with people that work in fandoms. There is both the idea that somehow it is inherently unoriginal to use a setting not created by yourself but also that people that work in fandoms are very strict and not open to change. In my own experience that isn't true but I've been wondering about this for some time. I've often written both original and fandom stuff and I find my approach fairly similar with both. The idea that fandom is inherently less creative might be true in the fact you're not creating the world but the creativity comes from elsewhere and not every RP is about creating an entire world. This is not to critique those that prefer original RP either, I respect the idea and one of my favorite RPs is indeed an original RP. I just wonder why there's an aversion to it from time to time from people that would otherwise be open? And I want to know why those that do it, still do it proudly or otherwise. This is not asking those that reject it out of hand why they do so, I've heard that enough.

The idea that fandom folks, especially those that ask for canon characters are strict in anyway seems fairly rare in my experience. I'm not at the very least, I just go for the "spirit" of a character. There is also the idea that we want the minute details of some random scene that happened 5 seasons ago. That shit is only important in highly specifics plots about very specific moments in time, and those are things that'd be said in the request itself. This worry that everyone is some fan of the old Star Wars EU that loves that one character that appeared for 5 seconds in one inconsequential shot is a weird one. I love obscure characters too but I'm not going to go off on someone if they don't know them. Certainly, there are RPs that will be about some obscure character and those have their place as well but most fandom RPs don't seem to go in that direction. Most people seem to go for the main characters that everyone would know.

As I mentioned before, I feel as though people worry people thinking they care about knowing every little detail about the characters when most writers care about the spirit of a character or the world they are living in. The important thing in writing, even RP, is just making a good product. I think about what makes the story I'm telling good for my audience, whether that be one person in a PM or everyone in a thread. The basics of storytelling don't disappear if you're using someone else's work. The way I see it is that you're merely starting from a different place. You're starting after the character creation is done, sure it's easier in the sense of you don't have to create a character but there is skill in adapting someone else's work. Someone will have a different interpretation of the same setting or the same character.

This is also why I can see why it scares some people away, what if my interpretation of a character doesn't match theirs? And honestly, I get that concern. I suppose like most things that'd be smoothed out in the planning process ideally. I just see that as no different from any other type of disagreement between partners on where the story is going. It's just something that will happen when RPing and I think we ought not to be averse to trying things because you might not match someone's idea of what is going on.

I hope this thread inspires folks on the fence or at least starts some interesting conversation.

I've gotten more open to fandoms as I've continued to watch and read things that I really enjoy. That feeling where you want to play as that cool character from that thing you just saw/read. I've gotten it from time to time.

When it comes to how strict to detail or not strict a fandom writer is, it does make me question: if you're not going to be strict to the details of a canon character/world, why not just do an original at that point?

When it comes to how strict to detail or not strict a fandom writer is, it does make me question: if you're not going to be strict to the details of a canon character/world, why not just do an original at that point?

So, on this point, I actually have levels of strictness that depend on how serious the RP is. When I say I'm not strict, I'm merely saying I'm open to interpretation based on the text that is there or something that doesn't seem too outside of the bounds of the text. A good way to put it is I wouldn't say allow there to be a Force sensitive droid in a Star Wars RP but I would allow for something like a rare example of a race with extraordinary abilities. My point is more about being willing to fudge details to tell a better story, not about completely removing them. Obviously that is something that has to be discussed on a case by case basis, not everything works equally and some exceptions would open the door to bad things if it wasn't kept in check.

Characters, I've used an acting metaphor before. You might be working with the same "script" for each character, in this case being backstory, but different actors bring things out of these characters that others don't. You might have someone play up one side of a character and someone else will play up another. This is what I mean by differing in details. I still argue for working with what you have but that still leaves a lot of interpretation. And that's what I mean by minor details being forgivable, if someone has the character and they are slightly different than they are in a show but still having what feels like the core of the character, that is what I cherish. You can have the birthday wrong or maybe the day something happened to them wrong but if you're telling me a good story, I will excuse those.

I don’t typically play fandoms myself because I don’t have extensive knowledge in the popular ones, but I think people who belittle them are being dicks.

- “Original” stories, settings, and characters are often just as rote as fandoms.

- Writing another person’s character well takes just as much skill - if not more - than writing your own.

- If you have to degrade other people’s writing to illustrate your creative superiority, you’re probably not nearly as good as you think you are.

- It doesn’t matter how faithful it is to the original material as long as all parties involved agree.

- In general, if people are enjoying it, just be happy for ‘em. Or, if your heart is too hard and small to feel joy for others, just ignore them.

/rant

So, on this point, I actually have levels of strictness that depend on how serious the RP is. When I say I'm not strict, I'm merely saying I'm open to interpretation based on the text that is there or something that doesn't seem too outside of the bounds of the text. A good way to put it is I wouldn't say allow there to be a Force sensitive droid in a Star Wars RP but I would allow for something like a rare example of a race with extraordinary abilities. My point is more about being willing to fudge details to tell a better story, not about completely removing them. Obviously that is something that has to be discussed on a case by case basis, not everything works equally and some exceptions would open the door to bad things if it wasn't kept in check.

Characters, I've used an acting metaphor before. You might be working with the same "script" for each character, in this case being backstory, but different actors bring things out of these characters that others don't. You might have someone play up one side of a character and someone else will play up another. This is what I mean by differing in details. I still argue for working with what you have but that still leaves a lot of interpretation. And that's what I mean by minor details being forgivable, if someone has the character and they are slightly different than they are in a show but still having what feels like the core of the character, that is what I cherish. You can have the birthday wrong or maybe the day something happened to them wrong but if you're telling me a good story, I will excuse those.
Ah, gotcha. Like it's degrees of detail, not a total throwing the canon out the window. And of course story takes precedence. I can understand that. I still would hesitate, probably due to my own expectations and biases, to approach someone for a fandom rp. And it's exactly that pressure of "I can't move too far out of these lines or else it's not the character anymore." And it would have very little to do with what the other person said about it or if they enjoyed/agreed to any changes I might make.

Call it perfectioinist anxiety. I just feel better if the character is made up by me entirely because I'm not harsh and consistent. I do stuff and change a character based on the story or what I want to have happen and it's fine because it's fantasy and people in reality change their minds and who they are all the time. But if it's a fandom character, my partner and I own parts of them together, and I'd constantly feel plagued by worry and concern and insecurity that I was letting them down.

I absolutely enjoy developing characters I like. You just have to find someone who sees them the same.

A resounding yes for me on fandoms.

They're a bit easier because you don't have to build your own world or lore. Some people like this approach, but it can be a little stifling at times to keep things strictly canon-compliant. Same reason why people are generally hesitant to play canons. Yeah, it might be a little "lazy" to put things in a fandom world, but I personally like it. Does a lot of the heavy lifting for me, and I admit it. I am fandom trash in many, many ways.

Fandom Benefits:
- Can write out some of your favorite characters.
- Can have fixed settings and plot devices that both parties know without explanation. In other words, easier to get on the same page.
- Allows writers to get creative with a solid foundation.

Fandom Disadvantages:
- Can limit some creativity since certain elements are fixed. Settings, personalities, powers, and backgrounds. However, some fandoms highly edit their characters and settings, but then it might as well be original in some sense.
- Meta gaming is more likely, even on accident. The writers know the series and can subconsciously or even purposely apply info before they should. (Example: everyone OOCly knows character A has a weakness to fire in the show, but it isn't found out until the very end of the show! Despite the fact that your partner's character usually uses water magic in the show, they keep using fire on Character A when the RP is supposed to take place before season 1!)
- Possibly less surprises. You know who hates who, who has a secret twin sibling and etc.
- You need to know a lot. Some people take every aspect of Fandom seriously. If you don't know the series inside and out, you could be really lost. This really depends on how strict your partner is though.

Original Benefits:
- You have full creative control over everything.
- Your original RP can still be "inspired" by something existing. (Example: Final Fantasy concepts are usually loosely the of base for my magical RPs).
- More rewarding. Okay, maybe not to all, but it feels nice to see YOUR world and characters come to life.

Original Disadvantages:
- Too much creative freedom with little to fall back on. It's like having all the paint colors in the world and one blank canvas.
- It can get overwhelming to keep track and apply all that you and your partner created.
- World and character building skills are needed. It gets easier the more you do it.

I'm sure there is more I can add to each list, but that is my mindset about it. Personally, I only do original RP because I enjoy having as much creative freedom as possible. Also, I'm not really a super-fan of many things. Haha.

Last edited:
I'm not a GM or a world-builder at heart, so for that reason fandoms are a lot easier for me. That, and they're... in a way, comforting?

People also tend to not step on my biggest nos in fandom RPs as much. I don't know why.

There's also the simple fact that I just want to see my favorite characters... go on. As someone who is NEVER into the main characters in 99% of media, I do want to see a continuing story for that odd, out-of-the-way side character who only appeared in season 3 for one episode. Also, easier to headcanon those side characters and do more original things with them.

So I don't mind fandoms, but I'm always hesitant to do characters I only know vaguely. Mainly because of one bad experience.

We were going to play two characters from a show. It was set between certain episodes, and I asked her to refresh me since it had been a bit. She simply told me to rewatch those episodes. I dropped the RP there and then. I didn't want to have to spend my time rewatching a few hour long episodes just for this RP with a partner I didn't even know if I clicked with yet. Plus the fact that she simply told me to watch them again rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't mind doing fandom but after that I'm hesitant to do characters, and lean toward original characters. Unless, I know the characters really well.

But then it comes down to preference. Mainly star wars OCs are my jam... Anything else just doesn't draw me in (or rarely does), and I find a lot of fandoms tend to be anime (which I don't want). So I tend to do original RPs as a result. I don't have a stigma against them. Rping is not writing a book to be sold, it's just purely about fun. So I don't get the whole having to be original thing.

1/ I’m not knowledgable enough to feel capable of doing it.

2/ I haven’t heard of many of the shows/games etc these fandoms are based on. OR I simply don’t like them.

3/ I don’t want to be restricted by existing characters and concepts.

4/ I do get inspired by material I have watched or read but I’d prefer to take the parts that inspire me and make it original.

I've no issues with original stories, but I rarely put the time in to actually writing out original scenarios of my own these days.

Simply put it's more effort for ideas that very few, if any, people will take up. But with fandom stories I can just slap down some names, maybe some pairings, and odds are some people are at least going to hit me up on those.

I very much enjoy Fandom RPs as one could tell by my thread. I don’t mind original stories, but it can be kinda harder to start. That and I feel pigeon-holed into various roles regarding original.

I like fandom since it has established universes, but then I rather not play any OC's.
Like, I'm fine playing in Star Wars universe, but then not as a character from books or movies.

Every universe is so extensive, why limit yourself to only known characters?

I don't like the idea of trying to play an established character in an established universe and then be told I am getting it wrong because I missed something or my character wouldn't do that or whatever. I would be challenged playing an original character too because I have noticed I am really not that involved or even aware of with a lot of the stuff that is popular for Fandom's.

In the end I would much rather create my own universe or society or just set in the real world which is usually my preference even if one of the characters is a vampire.

Last edited:
I think it's a weird one. I much, much prefer writing OC's, I have exactly one RP where I'm writing as or against a canon character and both canon characters were changed a little in it to fit the RP.

Honestly, I do like the idea of fandoms, I'm a huge dork for what if scenarios, I love watching them, I love reading them. I love crossovers in pretty much any show or movie I watch they are always my favourite, I freaked out just seeing Lucifer in the Arrowverse multiverse thing because it was such a brilliant moment for me, but I just don't enjoy writing them as much as coming up with my own character, creating one from scratch for almost every roleplay I do. That's the intoxicating part of roleplaying for me, developing my own characters and worlds. I do like writing OC's in fandom worlds, that I am willing to do more than canons and I've been sorely tempted to write more canons, but I never do.

I think one of the main factors is I feel I have less control, or that I might not do them justice in either my own eyes or those of my partner. They want a canon, then clearly they want that character, right? What if I just can't pull it off exactly how they would like? Letting myself down with it might feel even worse, but I can happily make an OC based on a character I like and tweak them as I please.

I will add that I think it's silly to look down on fandom RPs and characters, one person's preferences don't have to be your own. I'm kind of envious of those who feel they can accurately write canon well and enjoy it, I just feel I am usually not that person.

I really enjoy writing fandom roleplays, though it can be very difficult to find a good partner if you are part of a fandom or enjoy something that is rather obscure. I think there are certainly a lot of benefits; you get to immerse yourself in a familiar world that is full of interesting characters and a wealth of possibilities for storylines. However, portraying already established characters can sometimes be tough as it can require research and reading of extensive backstories and details.

I have no issues writing fandom stories in establish universes and settings.

I will not write as or against Canon Characters.

To me, writing as a canon character needs to be done with the establish canon of the character AND setting in mind. If I ever find myself reading a fandom and thinking "yeah...but the character wouldn't DO that", then the fandom is lost on me.

I have no issues with canon characters making cameo appearances in my stories, again so long as the appearances are within the established canon for the characters in question. Similarly, writing in a canon setting requires that we fit our story into the established canon of that setting.

I say do whatever makes you happy. Personally I prefer settings myself more than canon characters

I'm someone who almost exclusively RP's in Fandoms so here's my two cents.

Yes, it is harder in my experience to find those who truly want to explore literacy in these fandoms. Delving deeper into character motivation, struggles and arcs. It is incredibly easy to just make two characters we enjoy aesthetically bang with no substance, but this hardly holds my attention for long, as I assume the case for most people who would consider themselves 'lit' writers.

But I will say when you DO find those partners who value world-building, character growth and all that... It is the most fulfilling thing you'll ever experience. (Okay maybe that's an exaggeration but you get what I mean.) It is harder to find of course, original worlds and creations 'force' people to work their ass off in all these fields, you have to create characters, establish the world and all that. I totally get and understand the appeal of that, but for me at least-- I enjoy diving into a world I've already fallen in love with and building off of it more. I have hardly ever been completely 100% satisfied with any given piece of entertainment whether that's a video game, show, etc. There is ALWAYS something I want to build on more, character arcs that have yet to be explored. A world being 'finished' is just impossible for my mind.

Fandom worlds DO offer a chance to be 'lazy', characters exist and you can work off of them which at glance seems easier than creating a character YOU made and know how they will respond and react to every circumstance. But I don't think it's 'lazy' in the sense if you put in the work to learn that character and how they'd work in the scenarios created by my partner(s) and I, it can be super fun and fulfilling. You essentially 'continued' the story and to me, I can't think of anything more fulfilling if it is done right.

So in the end, I love playing Canons-- or OC's in the Canon worlds or whatever. Fandom RP's are a blessing to my ADHD mind, and despite the rep that they get, I've found to be my most long lasting RP's because of how well they hold my interest more easily than completely Original Worlds (no shame to those who are fully invested in those though, I envy you!)

I like to play fandoms if they line up. But since they often don't (obscurity and/or ideas), I tend to stick with original, or ideally use setting over the actual characters.

I should clarify on a few points now that we've had a decent amount of discussion and maybe bring some words of encouragement to people that are on the fence about things like this. First, is the the clarification that of course it's fine to feel like you couldn't do it adequately, fandom RP is not for everyone and I can admit there's a fear in jumping in and essentially portraying a character that people have very strong opinions on. There are some characters that I love that I feel like I can't do justice or would need a specific partner to do any sort of justice. So, I suppose it might be reassuring to hear that even someone that lives and breathes this shit has some doubts about what they're doing. Second, that fear might actually be a good thing. Even pausing for just a brief moment is a sign that you're thinking about this, this isn't something you'd do lightly, you're invested in this. And I'd argue that fear of fucking up is both a good and bad thing. It's how it's used that makes it a favorable trait or a detrimental one.

If you're worried about getting details wrong, it's best to talk with your partner about this. I'd also argue it hurts no one to step out of their comfort zone if they give Fandom stuff a shot, the worst thing you can find out is that it's not for you.

I think fandoms are very interesting because they give an opportunity to use an established world as a short-hand for other stories beyond the slice that's shown in the primary source. For example, as gob bee said, it's nice to see side characters continue past their role in a story. Whenever we watch something, or read something, in a setting we only get to see this tiny part of it, and fandoms offer an interesting opportunity to see the work from another angle or even use an established character in a context for which they weren't originally written.

The only problem, of course, is when people have disagreements over divergences for characters. With how popular fandoms are these days you get a lot of people with a lot of opinions about things (character dynamics that are alluded to and not outright stated being one that comes to mind) which can lead to someone feeling sour about how you portray a character. Naturally, this is a bit of a mood killer for everyone involved. So, I get where you're coming from BreezinBy; there are some characters and some arrangements that really require the right context/partner to go off well. But, that sort of an arrangement can be truly liberating in a way that only fandom can really provide. Having you (or your partner's) favorite character really resonate with them is a powerful thing!

I think for me, I just have an obsession with creation.

If I play a game, I want the one that lets me pick my character's hairstyle, eye color, etc. I'm disappointed if I have to pick a pre-made character. I think that directly correlates with why I'm not really into fandom RPs. I'm not getting to play a character I've made, I'm playing someone else's. And sure, maybe my partner says, "Play them how you like!", but more often than not, they have an idea in mind of what that will look like, and it's usually not what I end up doing. And aside from that, for me, plot matters greatly. And if I'm playing a canon character, I don't get the opportunity to make them fit the story without changing them, and essentially no longer really playing that canon character anymore. In which case, I'd find it would make more sense to just...make my own character, since playing a canon character with 'your own twist' is really just using them as a face claim at that point.

I've also had the experience of being 'coached' on how I play a canon character, at which point I'd wonder if my partner wouldn't just be better off writing their own fanfic...

So tl;dr, I prefer the freedom of creation, and playing canon characters with different personalities is just using them as a face claim.

The biggest obstacle for me involving fandoms is that there are certain elements that I enjoy - which, obviously, otherwise why would I want to use it? - and many, many things that will drive me insane.

The notion of roleplaying in the Song of Ice & Fire universe is a really enticing one to me, but it's massively downplayed by the fact George RR Martin has no idea how religion or non-western European cultures work. If someone approached me on it, then we'd exclusively be playing in Westeros since anything beyond that ranges from 'Paid no attention to' and 'Borderline/Explicit racism.'

I could never take any subplot relating to the Dothraki seriously because they're goofy.

The upside to that is George outlined a good framework to work within and I can just rewrite everything, so the Dothraki no longer are a Horse Lord culture of people who exclusively use melee weapons and don't wear armor, and the Iron Born no longer have the world's largest fleet whilst living on a set of islands that don't grow trees.

Which can all be said in different words about basically every fandom.

Back
Top Bottom