Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Messaging an RT again?

Do you find it strange to message a RT more than once?

• Yes, it's weird even for seperate bumps.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, it's not

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Depends on if they respond or not to my message

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

Chalarm

Galactic Story Teller
I'm curious on people's views on messaging a request thread that you have already messaged before for a previous bump and got no response from or got a "no thanks". If you do is there a time frame you tend to wait if the thread appears often?

I tend to mentally write off any request threads that I have been turned down from for better or worse. Even when a response only states that they have aquired enough partners and doesn't mention anything about preferences I tend to glance past it whenever I'm browsing through RT's again later, going by the logic that there are enough people to search elsewhere.

I feel if you message someone over an idea and get a no thanks/no reply, that's where things should end. If they seem interested but are full up at the time but bump again perhaps it's not a bad thing to message them if you still have interest, however.

Nah, I don't bother messaging someone who's already ignored me once. If it's a "not now", perhaps in the future though!

I think trying twice should be the limit after that it just looks desperate for the one sending messages and creepy for the one being asked.

Are we referring to a case such as the one @Balmung mentioned or just messaging someone repeatedly for a single RT? I tend to send a message, wait for a few days/week/weeks depending on how much time I would potentially invest in the RP, then if I just don't get a reply, the person is full, or they happen to not like my idea, I'll just leave after thanking them for their time.

Are we referring to a case such as the one @Balmung mentioned or just messaging someone repeatedly for a single RT? I tend to send a message, wait for a few day/week/weeks depending on how much time I would potentially invest in the RP, then if I just don't get a reply, the person is full, or they happen to not like my idea, I'll just leave after thanking them for their time.
I was referring to a case like the one mentioned where the person you're messaging has bumped their thread a second time. I would not expect spamming a person more than once for a single bump would be courtious in any fashion and most likely just come off desperate.

If I get a "No thanks" or no response, I don't bother recontacting.

If I get a "not currently looking" then I might, but probably not.

If I get a "I'm interested but not free now" then I probably would message them later.

I feel if you message someone over an idea and get a no thanks/no reply, that's where things should end. If they seem interested but are full up at the time but bump again perhaps it's not a bad thing to message them if you still have interest, however.
I agree with this reply. I often give a time window of about two or three days after the "last read". I used to do that not only on this site but in kik when I used reddit for roleplaying. This only applies for the first "I want to rp this thing that you wrote". If my partner replies but is not interested, I thank them for at least letting me know, but wouldn't message back anymore. At least, that kind of people saves me 3 days lf waiting XD

I really need to like the idea in the RT or am desperately craving a fandom/idea to message someone twice if the first one goes unanswered. That, or significant time has passed since my first message to them and my next, like months. I typically won't cross anyone off permanently unless they ghost.

If they seem possibly interested I might message again, but that's it. If our RP ends then it depends, if they ended it, I'm very unlikely to ever ask for another one in case they just were being polite when they said maybe another time. If I ended it, I may contact them again if I see an idea that might work out better for us and I am open to them messaging me again if it was a story difference and not a style one.

I think if it was just because something didn't work out or they were busy I'd probably allow that. I'm gonna be transparent and say I'm more often the person getting messaged more than once because sometimes just things didn't work out and it wasn't the other writers. It's often just me. I'm also pretty open to give people chances if it was just a problem of what story we made not appealing to either of us.

I would say it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes someone will reach out to me right as I've filled up and can't take another story. I don't really have a way to tell them later if I open back up, because I tend to keep my PMs clean so I don't miss replies. So I would be saddened by them not reaching out again if my only reply was that I didn't have space. Sometimes I turn someone away, close out the message and a few days later, one of my partners shares that they need to bow out of our RP due to life happening. And now I suddenly do have an opening, but I may not remember that person's name to be able to say, "Hey, I'm open again!" And wouldn't want them to skip over me.

However, there are some times when I wouldn't reach back out to that person. For example, I have had to turn someone away in the past because we weren't looking for the same things. I.e. they wanted more smut whereas I like more story; they didn't want to do more than a few sentences where I tend to like longer posts, etc. If it's something that ties in with the basics of your writing and interests (ones you aren't willing to compromise on), then it's probably safer to keep looking elsewhere. Unless you have changed your preferences, or that person has indicated they are willing to accept what you're looking for. 😊

If I get ghosted/ignored - No.
If I get a reply back but it's overall negative - No.
If I get a reply back and it's overall positive - Maybe.
If we've written previously - Yes (unless contradicted by one of the previous conditions).

I don't necessarily think it is strange, I just think there should be a cut off on how many times you contact a person. Someone once contacted me about my request thread which I politely turned them down because even though they claimed to have read my RT, they wanted things I didn't want to do. They messaged me again wanting to do those same things and of course I said no. A couple of days later they contacted me yet again inquiring about what I already explained I wasn't interested in. I guess every situation is different though. I have not messaged anyone more than once about their RT. I mean if the first time leads to writing something, cool, if not I just go on about my business.

A while back, some of us discussed frequently using Ignore just so that we don't see other users. I think that's what the Ignore function is actually for, not a poor replacement for a block feature.

This exact instance is one of the reasons I use Ignore so much. I'm not keeping a list of everyone I've contacted who either wasn't interested or ignored my thoughtful contact. After a couple instance of where someone was like "I already told you.." even though my PMs were many months in between, and it wasn't reasonable for me to remember, I just started Ignoring them. I won't see their RTs. Problem solved. (Except for someone who got mad and wrote me a nasty PM when they realized I Ignored them after they said they'd never play with me. Go figure.)

So, I think it's rude to contact someone who has the courtesy to reply and say they're not interested. I don't want to waste any more of my time on rude people who ignore decent PMs. And I don't want to embarrass myself for accidentally doing either months after the first occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom