Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How long does it take you to write a post?

Cantarella

уσυ'νє вєєη ρσιѕσηє∂
I'm curious- some people here, a few I'm partnered with seem to really be able to fire off posts super fast. So, riddle me this, BMR: when you actually sit down to make a post, have the PM or the thread cracked open, you're in the zone, and you're eager, how long does it typically take you to write a post?

In my case, depending on length and content, it can take me anywhere from 30-odd minutes to well over half a day, if I'm getting super in-depth. I'm a ruminator, and I really wish I wasn't, but I'm just not built for rapidfiring anymore. Plus- perfectionist. My own worst critic.

What say you, party people?

All over the damn place to be honest.
Sometimes I'm like, super pumped for an RP and I can belt 300-500 words out in 20-30 minutes. Just straight up, pedal to the metal posting rampages. Other times I really wanna reply but I'm so self conscious about my words and phrasing that I can delay for hours or even days. I don't love that RP any less, it's just my own quirks making it hard to commit to a quality post.

Typically a half hour to an hour. I come up with responses fairly quickly because I try to respond how I think my character would respond naturally. I think I spend more time fine-tuning the response, looking for that perfect sentence that makes the whole post worthwhile, than I do with the majority of the post.

It's pretty all over the place, personally. Sometimes I've got a fire under my ass and I'm tossing out big ol' honker posts in 20 minutes or less. Other times it takes 30-45 minutes. Sometimes an hour or longer, maybe even a day or two. Some days I'm really tuned in proper, and others...well, it feels like my brain has hopped on the Struggle Bus and can't find its way back off.

No more than an hour unless it's a very long post. Generally I just write until I feel done and I can, at least at my peak, write a thousand words in under an hour. I don't do it often and doing it now would require me to be really inspired. But it's possible for me.

It depends sometimes I have to think about it a while because the plot is complex or perhaps my partner didn't leave much to bounce off. I find writing sex scenes to be difficult and they become boring if they start extending out multiple posts.

Other times I can write a decent response in a few minutes more or less depending on how much I write of course.

Sometimes waiting a day or two, three... can help with writers block too, just to approach the RP again with a fresh mind.

1gtl.gif

... I try for 7-10 days but every now and then I just fuck up. I get a little too hard on myself or maybe the real world has overwhelmed me and diminished my desire to be creative and smutty. If it'll take longer than 7-10 days I try to let my partners know what's up with me... until recently, and I kinda fucked that up too by not letting them know I accidentally went on a brief one week hiatus from creative writing.

Assuming all the conditions for replying are right, I really do try to make it within a week. I let replies stew in my head and don't try to race to complete them. I wanna plot it all out in my head before putting words on a page, but the script changes when you're writing it down instead of planning it out in your head. My partners and I will create plans and completely deviant from them because the scene and characters go off in a completely different direction. So, the time I take to plot can sometimes end up being meaningless because I change my mind in the middle of writing it. Hilarious... to me, at least XD

Not much longer than a few hours at most. If I'm properly motivated or especially excited about a reply, I can hammer them out in 30-60 minutes. The words just come and it's like I'm transcribing straight from muse to keyboard.

That's just actual writing though. The planning and brainwork portion of a reply can take me, sometimes, a week or more. This is why I tell people to be patient with me for longer or more elaborate pairings.

I feel like my average is about an hour for 500 words. I spend alot of time rereading what I wrote and reworking what I have already done. Sometimes when I'm in the zone I can do the same in half that time, but I usually have to spend many minutes thinking what I will write, and that's not even when I get stumped and post pone a reaponse by a day or two.

Depends on my partner, how inspired I am, and how I'm writing. Sometimes I write huge posts, sometimes I'm more poetic, and other times I'm simple.

I don't tend to time myself while I write. I do zone out while writing, and sometimes my proofreading/editing process is longer than other times.

I also came from a RP community that was chat based, and I would post extremely long posts even then. Quality was a bit lower for the sake of speed, and I would say it would take me about 45 mins to an hour to post those. Maybe longer when I'm dealing with a really complex writer.

Might sound harsh, but from my point if view, it makes me wonder why a fair amount of RPers need a week or more to post a few paragraphs.

Last edited:
My minimum response time is probably 45 minutes. I prefer longer responses so my rp partner has plenty to work off of, since I hate the idea of making someone else carry us through it. I'm an over-thinker cursed with perfectionism so it can take me hours to get something right, even if I'm inspired.

Thirty minutes to an hour generally, unless the post is extra lengthy; I had a giant one recently that took almost three.

Forever in discord time. Otherwise I'm still daily on a great time, weekly on a pretty slow time. Worse if muse just dies.

Getting started is the hardest part for me. Once I'm in the right headspace, and feeling motivated, I can usually actually knock out full posts in very little time (20 mins to half an hour, usually).

However, I struggle with getting motivated and started for.... So many reasons, most of which I'm not comfortable listing. It can be very frustrating, lmao, because sometimes I just sit there mentally berating myself for not being able to do something so 'easy' (that comes easily to me, to be clear!) and 'fun'. And of course, being mean to myself doesn't help, which means I'll take even longer to get started 😖

I vary greatly depending on the expected size of the posts and the mood I'm in. If I got something in mind I can type out several paragraphs pretty quickly and have a nice beefy post out in about 10-15 minutes. Other times I might have an idea of what I want but I can't quite click with writing it out the way I like and I can start taking 30 minutes to an hour for a post. Luckily I tend to usually stick to about the 20 minute range most the type with shorter paragraph or two long posts typically able to be typed up in about 5 or so minutes.

That depends a lot. Sometimes it only takes me 10, 15 minutes to write a post, and sometimes it takes more than an hour. If I want to (or have to) paint a picture of the setting it takes longer. If it's some action scene - regardless if smut, battle, chase, whatever, something that needs much interaction - my posts will be shorter but still quicker typed than an equally short post about character devlopment.

Oh...several ways to answer this... :)

Time between getting a reply and sending mine back? That's the hard one. It depends on mood, how burned-out I am, how enthusiastic I am, what's going on around me, what I'm about to be side-tracked by, time of day... I can reply in anywhere from an hour to two weeks (if approaching the latter, I do let my partner(s) know).

Time to actually type the reply once I get started? Depends on what I'm writing. A short reply in a conversation might take me 10-15 minutes (I'm definitely not a 1-2 line person). If it's an opening post, or a scene-change, or a segue/filler, it can take me anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.

So nothing hard-and-fast, I'm afraid. :)

Usually within an hour. Sometimes I've struggled: brain hurts, too hot, external stress, etc. Can be 20 minutes depending on content and whether I already kind of knew what I might have responded with!

I'm also someone who is online a lot so I usually get responses out fast, as well. If I don't, it's because of external reasons, heh.

Usually every 30-40 minutes. Unless it's something-like three paragraphs. Then I can kick them out in ten to fifteen minutes. But personally, I like getting caught up; feeling the rhythm; the smack of the keys; re-reading what I've wrote and placing myself in my partners shoes and wondering if they're going to feel what I felt when I wrote it.

Depends on what is happening within the scene, how many revisions happen, how on point the creative mental juju is vs how powerful the OCD is feeling that day. A general guesstimation would put me between 20ish minutes for 500 words or less to 90ish minutes for 1,000 to 1,500 words replies.

Ugh, my wife used to always get onto me about this when we used to roleplay. She'd be getting back to me every 20-30 minutes with a solid 4-5 paragraphs, meanwhile I've got a good flow going if I get a post of similar length out in less than an hour. I've just come to accept that, despite how long I've been role-playing, writing just isn't my natural talent so it takes me a long time to get my thoughts down in a way I find acceptable.

Depends a lot on the post, but if I aim for about 3-5 paragraphs, everything between 45 minutes and 2 hours.... I am a perfectionist and sometimes it's extremely annoying. If I write more than that, we're talking 5+ hours.... perhaps with some procrastination in-between, heh

5-30 minutes to 1, 1.5 hours.

5-30 minutes is for partners I'm comfortable with, scenes that are snappier, or when I have a clear idea already of where the scene/my post is heading.

1, 1.5 hours is for more detail or thought-oriented posts, or when the character demands the reigns (as so often happens with me) and starts taking me in a direction I didn't expect, and I have to pause and work out the details, steps taken, because usually the character wants to get to point X without explaining why or how so that it makes sense why they're there.

To be honest I don't really look at the time. Though with the more high-quality, intensive, "I want to impress this person, we're makin' ART here", I've discovered hours disappear between start and finish.

But probably 30ish minutes for the standard 'three paragraphs of sexytimes'.

Depends on the muse and how in depth. Longer posts take about a day or so and I like to get to my laptop. Shorter ones I can do from my phone while I'm loafing on the couch.

Back
Top Bottom