Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

RP's in Forums vs RP's in Conversations

I have no real preference between PMs and Threads for RP, although most of my RPs are in PMs.

I like being able to check a single list (the PMs list) to see the current state of my RPs - the PM icons shows me at a glance whether I've replied to them or not.

On the other hand, you can Bookmark and/or Watch your threads, which can make it easier to locate all of your stories from one location, given that your stories may be in multiple forums.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other, really.

I also write from my phone, and it indeed horrifies people. I can type at a blazing speed with my thumbs and I'm not on my laptop most of the day, so it just makes sense. I used to utilize Google Docs a lot, but BMR has a nifty drafting system so I just abuse that now. Spares me the 2 seconds of having to open the Docs app.

My worst autocorrect incident was when it changed "tuck" to "fuck" - as in, "she fucked the loose strand of hair behind her ear." I was politely pointed out by my partner and was told they don't kink-shame. XD

OT: I RP on threads solely because of my exhibitionist side. I don't think there's any significant difference between threads and PMs on this site. I would say PMs are even more organized, actually. Everything's displayed to you at one dedicated space.
I admire the ability to write so well on phone there! Plus, I find threads to be great when helping to see writing quality
I wanna rp with pretty threads; also I've had people be weird in OOC at the bottom of IC pms and I'm like '..........no, thread please'.

In fairness, threads are awesome!

I think I kinda perfer threads, BUT many don't, and if I'm going to RP in thread with someone, I am gonna need more writing samples than usual, and I'd be worried my partner won't keep a steady pace; based on my personal preferences, I require a few posts a week.

Thing is, I'm a picky writer. I don't mean to be, but I know what works for me and doesn't (in most cases). I put a lot of effort and time into my posts, so I can be pretty selective. So, If I'm not "feeling" a story or partner, or my partner's replies have a fixed pattern of long time gaps, I will respectfully drop a RP, and I'm not shy to do so if it can't be talked out.

In PMs, this goes a lot smoother than leaving a public thread hanging. Also, in PMs, I'm willing to take more risks. Someone can be brand new and without writing samples, and if they interest me, I'd be happy to start a private RP. I'd be iffy about threads.

Leaving RPs hanging publicly might make me or my partner look like a ghoster, especially after only a post or two lol. No one knows what happened. It's also easier to "let go" of an old PM RP than a thread (if it isn't deleted). At the same time, failing RPs is part of the hobby.

However, I had many great RPs in PMs that I really wish were in thread! The format would look nicer, I can edit a typo without a time limit, and it's nice when you feel like you crafted a really good post, and you get to show your partner and possibly the community (but do people even keep track of threads?! Haha)! Sadly, It could work as the opposite when you end up posting a weaker post than usual.

So threads appeal to me solely for aesthetic - when appropriate. A headliner, a few gifs here and there. When every post contains an image/gif, it distracts me. That's a me problem, I know. I imagine those writers have a desktop view and those colors and images are pretty, to them. That's grand. I like those images to, but due to weird mobile site placement, it just skews text and doesn't add to the flow.

Agnes not only writes from her phone but also creates those amazing decals and obviously she's far more talented than I and I love her for it.

I was fairly adamant about writing in PMs when I joined a few months ago - I felt it was less pressure, and I was still getting acquainted with the culture of the site.

Nowadays, I’m starting to think a thread or two might be a good idea, since my only other real presence on the site is my Journal, and it’s all cults and snakes and random stuff over there. I guess I could see why a potential partner might be a little skeptical of my abilities. Gotta prove I’m legit, lol.

In recent years I have become more of a PM gal, but definitely agree with some of the points here. It is easier to re-read thread rps, and it is also nice for potential roleplay partners to be able to see and appreciate your writing skills through lurking.

I prefer forums for RPing and PMs for OOC talk and planning. Nothing I hate more than killing the mood with a OOC tagged at the top or bottom of a post

Though PMs are fine for short 'quickie' RPs 😜

I have always, and will always, prefer Private Messages over threads in a forum roleplay situation. I'm not writing for other people, I'm writing for my partner, and I'm happy with that. I don't doubt my ability to write competently, but almost without fail any time I have placed my creativity in the public eye, I've garnered more unsolicited and generally unhelpful criticism than not. I don't know what about me attracts this sort of attention, but I'd rather avoid the anxiety.

I prefer public threads. It's disappointing that so few would be partners have public work available when trying to decide if you want to RP with them.

Also there's nothing better than getting a like on a public post from someone not even in the RP.

I prefer public threads. It's disappointing that so few would be partners have public work available when trying to decide if you want to RP with them.

Also there's nothing better than getting a like on a public post from someone not even in the RP.
This forum doesn't have public forum likes in place. But some forums do, so, I can see what you mean.

That would be awful. Everyone would have at least 3 bad reviews, even if they were the sweetest, most caring rper. And nobody would want to rp.
There's reviews on everything, and the bad reviews are the only honest ones.

Hard disagree. People have genuine good opinions about things. And people can be petty and cruel just for laughs. Especially online. It's both cynical and naive to think that the only honest reviews are the ones that say something negative about something.

Last edited:
Depends on whether the "bad review" is honest and constructive criticism or just trolling.

If your (and I don't mean you, personally) "bad review" tells me you haven't even read what I've written, then...well, the exit door's over there. :)

Throw away the best and the worst. The truth is usually in the 2-4 star range. Also, writing is highly subjective, especially collaborative writing. Incompatibility is a real thing, and usually has little to do with the skill or talent of the writers. One would hope that someone wouldn’t leave a β€œbad review” for that, but it is the internet and monsters exist.

I do wish we had a like button though - I’d go crazy with that shit.

Knowing that you and your writing partner enjoy the PR you two write together is better than any like.

Personally, I like threads but don't really care either way.

Throw away the best and the worst. The truth is usually in the 2-4 star range. Also, writing is highly subjective, especially collaborative writing. Incompatibility is a real thing, and usually has little to do with the skill or talent of the writers. One would hope that someone wouldn’t leave a β€œbad review” for that, but it is the internet and monsters exist.

I do wish we had a like button though - I’d go crazy with that shit.
We should get a three star system, and turn it into an episode of Black Mirror.

I used to do threads, then people got annoying ("why do you reply here") so for years I switched to "pms, google docs, emails." Now I do anywhere but chat.

I'm primarily a PM person, but for works that are completed--or largely finished--I'm starting to consider posting them for public viewing so potential partners can see what I'm capable of, as well as growing more comfortable posting work publicly.

There's the matter of making sure that if I post in a roleplay that's already completed, the other partners won't feel some type of way if they're still waiting, but I've had no trouble with that so far. My partners are patient angels.

I've done both before and strangely enough, I feel like PMs are far more claustrophobic. I feel that way on both sites I use to write.

I enjoy the privacy of a private message but there's something spacious about a thread that I like. I also think it's important to have some public available for potential partners to see. It's awkward when I have a post in a PM roleplaying that I'd like to use as a writing example but I'm not sure how my partner would feel about it.

I like both threads and pms. The only real issue with pms is that some sites have ugly messaging systems that look bad amd cluttered after about 10 entires into the story or so. Threads are fun to visit and read. I like to read other people’s stories and I don’t mind contributing to a publicly available story myself. For the super private people or those on mobile, we can use a Docs program.

Back
Top Bottom