Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

RP's in Forums vs RP's in Conversations

Typical Blue Haired Dude

An Average Guy with Not-So-Average Hair Color
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I was just curious about something. Is there any incentive on role playing in the rp forums vs making private role plays with others via conversations? I come from another ERP site that awards points for contributing via making statuses, receiving/giving reactions, and posting on the public forums and clubs on there. These points allow you to customize your profiles and keep more storage of your dm's and albums and whatnot, and I was simply curious if there was anything similar to that. I would really appreciate some help with this. Thank you all for your time!

Welcome to BMR! :)

Nope, we don't have any sort of points system. For the most part, there's no real difference, since our PMs here are set up to mimic forum threads, albeit private ones. The only real difference is that PMs are only visible to the participants, whereas anyone can view a forum roleplay.

Thank you very much! And I appreciate the help with that. I'll likely stick with conversations, but if I ever decide to break out of my shell and potentially try to show people a bit of my writing skills, I'll try out the forums as well.

Personally, almost all of my roleplays are done on the forum threads. Forums have very minor differences, the post count at the side is kind of nice, though doesn't really have any viable applications I can think of, I like how the box is wider than on PM's but that's entirely visual. My favourite thing about it is honestly the 'watched' tab at the top of the forum. Clicking that I get a full list of threads I'm watching, which amounts to my intro, my request threads and then just all my roleplays. It's very, very easy to see all of my roleplays at once, when they were last posted on and by whom, the top one is the one that was posted in most recently. In PM's, roleplays get mixed with other conversations unless you organise them differently, and I just feel it's easier on threads. I like how it's easy for prospective partners to see a very real example of how I post too, several of them based on different partners, and make up their mind without a cherry picked 'writing sample' or just taking it on faith. It feels more upfront to me.

I don't mind people being able to see my roleplays though, which I know is a big deal for some. Most of the time it doesn't even feel like anybody is reading anyway but I have gotten messages from people who just enjoyed reading some of my stories and wanted to write with me, and just people that wanted to tell me they liked them, which honestly...feels kinda nice.

I oddly enough started roleplaying on threads mostly. As more and more time passed and as I got better, I started to move towards messages. Either is fine with me, but I usually do my business through messages.

Personally, almost all of my roleplays are done on the forum threads. Forums have very minor differences, the post count at the side is kind of nice, though doesn't really have any viable applications I can think of, I like how the box is wider than on PM's but that's entirely visual. My favourite thing about it is honestly the 'watched' tab at the top of the forum. Clicking that I get a full list of threads I'm watching, which amounts to my intro, my request threads and then just all my roleplays. It's very, very easy to see all of my roleplays at once, when they were last posted on and by whom, the top one is the one that was posted in most recently. In PM's, roleplays get mixed with other conversations unless you organise them differently, and I just feel it's easier on threads. I like how it's easy for prospective partners to see a very real example of how I post too, several of them based on different partners, and make up their mind without a cherry picked 'writing sample' or just taking it on faith. It feels more upfront to me.

I don't mind people being able to see my roleplays though, which I know is a big deal for some. Most of the time it doesn't even feel like anybody is reading anyway but I have gotten messages from people who just enjoyed reading some of my stories and wanted to write with me, and just people that wanted to tell me they liked them, which honestly...feels kinda nice.
I agree with this!

For me it also has something to do with showing my skills off when it comes to writing, and how I articulate myself. I like that it might leave an impression on people, regardless of it being positive or negative. The plot or the story the RP is surrounded by might also become an inspiration to others – who knows? Maybe there are lurkers out there who are just as invested in the plot as the role-players are, if any. I think it's a win-win situation.

I find RP'ing in the forums allows other people to see your writing and your history in terms of completing/dropping RP's etc. When everything is private that can make it hard to get an idea of how someone writes. Same goes with people who mark their profiles private.

I don't see the need to show off my skills. I'm a private person, that's all, and the only person whose opinion matters when it comes to my writing is my partners. Also, my writing style is amorphous, flexible - I tend to take stylistic cues from my partner. So no one's going to get a real sense of how I RP, even if everything I was writing was public.

I've mostly RP'd through DMs and messages on roleplaying sites, but I find that I can take my time on threads, and the feature to watch threads is also nice for keeping track of my roleplays.

Threads will cause people to ask why you reply here and not there. I stopped for years. Now I'll do either.

Writing on threads satisfies my inner exhibitionist. And it's extremely satisfying to get compliments on my threads from lurkers. :love:

Always been a PM girl, but will and have done threads when a partner is awesome enough. I like having everything bundled together and organized a way. On these kinds of forums, it's streamline and your own private thread away from the rest.

I like Thread for the exhibitionist side or email. PM depending on the forum can get messy and hard to keep track of.

I really don't mind either, especially since I don't write in the text box onsite unless it's a general post, like this one. Otherwise I write in Google Docs and copy/paste the reply into the box when I'm done. I write from my phone so it's easier to keep my things together in Docs that way. It typically depends on what my partner wants to do.

I write from my phone so it's easier to keep my things together in Docs that way.

I also write on my phone, and I’ve discovered this horrifies a lot of people, lol.

I also write on my phone, and I’ve discovered this horrifies a lot of people, lol.
Does it? I'm just so used to it. I've been writing via mobile for a decade now. I don't like laptops/desktops/tablets. I guess it's just a personal choice. Yeah, it may take me longer to write out a reply but no less quality, I think. My thumbs are strong!

Does it? I'm just so used to it. I've been writing via mobile for a decade now. I don't like laptops/desktops/tablets. I guess it's just a personal choice. Yeah, it may take me longer to write out a reply but no less quality, I think. My thumbs are strong!

Yup, I feel ya. If I had to wait until I had long, uninterrupted stretches at my computer to write, it would just never happen. It doesn’t bother me - although I have had the infamous “duck” autocorrect strike once or twice.

I also write from my phone, and it indeed horrifies people. I can type at a blazing speed with my thumbs and I'm not on my laptop most of the day, so it just makes sense. I used to utilize Google Docs a lot, but BMR has a nifty drafting system so I just abuse that now. Spares me the 2 seconds of having to open the Docs app.

My worst autocorrect incident was when it changed "tuck" to "fuck" - as in, "she fucked the loose strand of hair behind her ear." I was politely pointed out by my partner and was told they don't kink-shame. XD

OT: I RP on threads solely because of my exhibitionist side. I don't think there's any significant difference between threads and PMs on this site. I would say PMs are even more organized, actually. Everything's displayed to you at one dedicated space.

I wanna rp with pretty threads; also I've had people be weird in OOC at the bottom of IC pms and I'm like '..........no, thread please'.

What are you gonna say next, that you like to headcanon the characters' lives all the way to their third kid before the story even starts?
You mean you don't plot out their entire tragedy before the first post has even been written, and then RP their lives for 8 hours over Discord?

Back
Top Bottom