Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Devil By Daylight [Vinaein/Mim]

"Then take me."

It was a plea whispered against Justin's lips as the witch slowly guided him, lowering herself down onto his throbbing shaft. She gripped his shoulders, mewling softly as she lowered herself onto him inch by aching inch until there was nothing between their skin. Isla opened her eyes, gazing into his as she slowly moved her hips up again, bracing herself against him.

"Like this?" she murmured, tilting her hips for a better angle as she rode him. "Tell me what you want, Justin. Show me." She crushed a desperate, scraping kiss to his lips, moaning as she lowered herself down and angled her hips just so. She had always thought it silly to be faithful to a dead man, but gods how she hadn't realized just how lonely it had been to be so picky about who she took into her bed.

"Take me," she whispered. Take her, he thought. Take her, take her as he wanted. As he had to, as he was craving since...since he'd first seen her perhaps? What spell had she woven upon him? Whatever it was, he wanted it. He wanted more of it. He wanted to sink into her and never emerge.

The sound of her voice, that gentle gasp, those moans as he slid himself into her. Their hips were touching, Justin staring at her, with his arms bound against her. His eyes were captured by hers as he began to move against her. "Like that...god, don't stop, Isla..." He moved up, angling to reach the centers of her pleasure...and god, it had been a while. God, he wanted her. Needed her...

Isla, he said her name as he moved up into the heated wetness of her.

"Isla..."

"Justin..."

She gasped his name softly and gripped his shoulders for leverage. Gently her nails pressed into his skin, gripping for purchase as they found their pleasure in one another. Leaning forward, she pressed her forehead against his as they moved as one, biting her lip as she gazed into his eyes. Her hands slid along his shoulders, cupping behind his neck.

"Do with me what you will," Isla whispered, "for my body is yours." That could have been considered blasphemous, she was sure, but at the moment she didn't quite care. "God Justin..." Leaning in she captured his mouth with a deep, desperate kiss as she moved on him. The way he felt, the way he filled her, was nearly overwhelming. Slowly, one hand slid down his arm, to the hand on her hip. She brought it up to her lips, kissing each finger tip before laying his palm on her chest and sliding it slowly over her breast, down her stomach. "Touch me..."

Isla was saying his now, the accented, breathy hymn of her voice made him lean forward to kiss her all the harder. He felt the press of her forehead to his, his body moving up at a sharper and more intense rate. He found his rhythm with her, their bodies all but dancing together as he went up into the heat of her, the wetness, the passion consuming him. God above, if this was sin, let it be sin. He no longer cared if he was bewitched, only that he had her to hold. He only cared he was inside of her now, all while he felt the brace of her nails in a way that was not quite painful.

In fact, it spurred him on all the more. The Widow Isla Catanach was whispering she was his...and he rolled them slightly, to end with her upon her back, all without breaking stride. Drawing up her legs, he reached his hands upon her. One hand encircled a breast, feeling and squeezing there, toying with the nipple. The other found between her legs, rubbing at the center of pleasure down below.

"God, Isla..." he managed as he picked up speed, thrusting himself firmly inside her. Unable to stop and wanting her more with every moment.

Isla gasped and panted, letting her head fall back and shaking her hair away from her face in a firey cascade down her back. Then the witch hunter rolled them and she found herself on her back and not really minding. She was surrounded by him, her senses filled with him, his smell, the feel of his skin beneath her fingers, the taste of his lips. Everything. She slid her legs over Justin's hips, crossing her ankles at the small of his back and pulling him in deeper, harder with each thrust. Her hands were...everywhere. They couldn't seem to find a place to settle, from his shoulders, to his face to pull him in for another gasping kiss, to curl his hair around her fingers.

Then his fingers found her clit.

The witch cried out in pleasure, arching her back and pressing her hips up against his hand. Her inner walls gently clenched around his length as he thrust into her faster and she squirmed deliciously under his touch. Finally her hands found purchase again as she dragged her nails up his back to settle back on his shoulders, leaving angry red streaks against his flesh.

"Justin..." she mewled softly, eyes closed against the ecstasy. "Oh god Justin please..."

His mouth found hers again, hungry and heated for her. His hand went up, into the flaming silk of her hair. He ran his fingers through it, the softness of it as he deposited her back. Her scent filled his head, the sight of her all he could envision now as he stared into those eyes. Her legs hooked around him, a sweet cage he had no desire to escape from. And her hands, her hands roaming all across him. His lips were across her face and neck, the Witch Finder almost needing to remind himself to leave no marks as he rocked his body against her own. With each push of his hips, he drove deeper into her, all but groaning out her name in the ecstasy that threatened to consume him.

Fire within, fire within, his skin was heated, the burning inferno swelled within him to take her as well. He pressed his fingers to her clit, massaging the center of nerves there as he felt her contract to him below. He growled softly at the scrape of nails, staring at her. And in he thrust again, so thrilled to bring her to this peak. "Please....what?" He whispered before he kissed her again, skillfully delivering each stroke as he continued to tease her.

He had never wanted a woman as bad as this in his life, he realized.

Isla mewled hungrily as his fingertips worked the sensitive bundle of nerves. Her teeth scraped the tender skin of his throat as he rocked his body against her, deeper and deeper, seeking the soul and center of one another. Despite the chill of the night, between the fire and the heat of their passion sweat began to form. With her wrapped legs she pulled Justin harder into her with each thrust.

"Please....what?" She shivered as he whispered against her lips, teasing her.

She made a small noise of desperation against the witch finder's lips. Will had played those sorts of games, and Isla had never been able to resist them. "Please...sir..." she moaned breathily. "Cum with me."

She arched her back gently, stretching as he rubbed her clit in just the right spot. Fingers clasped around Justin's shoulders as she slowly climbed to her peak, her nails leaving livid red half-moon indentations in his skin. Her spine straightened and she stretched her neck as her thighs pressed more firmly against his sides and scraped her teeth against his bottom lip.

"I'm close," she gasped. "So close..." She sobbed for breath. "God please...Justin..."

the noises Isla made were driving him wild now. Justin was pushing with his hips, in and out of her with a burning, intense need for her, kissing her neck again as she skillfully pulled him within her, her legs strong, body practiced. She tugged at his waist, helping him to drive into her as he felt her below. His mouth traveled over her skin, loving the sounds she made, the way she moved and writhed.

Hearing her all but beg made him move harder, faster as he pushed furiously against her, his thumb teasing at the hard gem of her clit. "Cum for me..." he whispered as he continued to rock between her legs. He was completely lost in Isla now, unable to resist her as he surrendered to nothing but passion, even as he tried to hold himself back from the peak until she claimed her own pleasure.

And so he kissed her with absolutely everything he had.

Everything tightened.

Everything released.

The knot of pleasure building in the pit of her stomach crawled up her body, blinding her with pleasure as Isla came, her walls pulsing and clenching around Justin as she cried out in the night. She gripped his shoulders as he moved in her, finding his release in her as well, leaving them both panting, sweating, tangled in each other on the couch. She cradled the witch finder's head to her breast as they laid together, skin against skin, and she stroked his hair.

"Bloody hell." It was a dazed sort of invective as she panted, trying to catch her breath. She blinked, staring up at the ceiling, focusing on the feeling of his hair sliding through her fingers and his skin hot against her other palm. "It's...it's been a while," she admitted. "But that was worth it."

Passion seized Justin. Passion struck him, like a bolt from the ether. He pushed with his hips, body taut and tightening before the released lanced through him like an arrow as he pressed into the tightening folds of the woman under him. Hearing her cries spurred him on, his hips driving into her own. He released, climaxing as he held her to him, unable to let her go as he gasped something that might have been her name.

He relaxed, all but collapsing atop her, head pillowed against the soft fullness of her breast, his breath coming quick from him as he smiled at her words. "I am...glad to have been of service..." the notion he had just slept with a suspected witch he was monitoring then fell to him. He swallowed internally, telling himself to calm down. He'd already verified it. Isla was no witch, not at all. His mind was his own.

"Do you...feel alright?" He asked softly.

"Service..." Isla laughed. When he asked whether she felt alright, she laughed again and shook her head. "More than alright," she laughed. "Feckin fantastic, that. It's been far too long."

There was something in his voice, though. Something in the way he held himself against her body. With a frown she looked down at him, and the post-orgasm high faded. With a sigh she pushed herself up to a seated position, suddenly unaccountably embarrassed. She had never before dealt with a man regretting her, and it was humiliating. And angering. Or perhaps it was because she was used to being met with praise and affection as they came down from their release together. Either way, this was a new experience and one that wasn't pleasant.

"No one forced ye into anything," she pointed out, unable to keep the bitterness from her voice. With a deep, steadying breath she slid out from under Justin and off of the couch, slowly getting the wobble out of her legs as she bet to retrieve her clothes and push his into a little bundle near the end of the couch. "S'pose I ought to leave you to it then." As she turned to the stair she looked at him over her shoulder. "I've spun no spell around you, Justin Crowe. Every choice you've made has been your own."

Justin was attempting not to blush at this. He was no green boy in this subject, but he was not used to such bluntness from a lover, with Isla's unashamed love of the carnal. On the other hand...good for her? And 'feckin' fantastic' was a decent boost to his confidence. "Far too long," he echoed her.

Then she was looking at him, before he was pushed up, Isla sat to stare at him with a blunt expression and the sense of humiliation and even anger on her face that rendered him struck numb on the spot. "No one forced ye to anything," she said to him and it was true.

"I....I did not mean to say you did. Merely...I am not regretting that, Isla, earnest!" He said, suddenly awkward as a boy there. The high of earlier had declined, replaced by a sudden sense of concern that was so unusual for the Witch Finder. "I did not mean to imply there was a spell...nothing lik that..." He stared past at her. "I did not..." he stumbled over his words. "I merely..." How to salvage this...

"Isla, I did not regret it...just that this is...new to me. Not the act!" He was trying to figure out what to say. "Just...I've never been involved with someone I was investigating before."

Isla stood with her clothed bundled against her body, arms folded across her chest, covering her breasts more incidentally than anything; she otherwise had not a stitch on her. Why ought she? He had done far more than just looked at her by now. More than gawped, even, which she knew some of the village boys had done on occasion, spying on her through the trees and brush on the other side of the river. She allowed Justin to dig his hole deeper as he stumbled over his words and avoided eye contact.

"Well, you're certainly unaccountably bashful now for a nekkid man," she countered as he insisted that he hadn't meant to offend her. "Wee bit late for morals, doncha think?"

"Just...I've never been involved with someone I was investigating before." Justin was awkward as he stumbled for the right thing to say.

In retrospect, Isla was sure her sniggering wasn't helpful.

"Involved?" She smirked, trying to wipe away her laughter with one hand but failing. "Justin, you and I aren't involved. Involved implies feelin'. That? That was just sex. Not that ye ain't lovely, and I'm sure we'll be fine friends. But that?" She shook her head. "I make it a point not to deny my body. It only makes it all worse when I inevitably fail in the end. We were both willin', and I'd be willin' again, but I wouldn't call that bein' involved." She shook her head. "So you're sayin' ye've never made love to a witch before?" Isla smirked again, knowing he wouldn't take her wording seriously. "Surprising, as I thought your type saw witches everywhere." Her smile broadened a little and she winked, mollified by his awkward excuses. If it happened again they'd have harsher words, but she supposed it ought to be reasonable not to expect a supposedly-pious Christian to be entirely comfortable with it the first time.

Justin certainly did not come off as an intimidating man at the moment. Since the moment this had all begun, Isla had held all the cards. It was not something Justin was used to-or indeed cared to repeat overmuch with the level of inner strength she possessed. No wonder she was loathed by the weaker ones in the village; people tended to harbor a sort of resentment against those better than them. And he had a feeling she had opened up a rhetorical trap that he had fallen into headfirst.

He was not ashamed about her seeing his body. After all, they'd done more than 'see.' And it would not do for him to be mincing about to deflect the blame in this. Not only was it just crass, but it would likely enrage Isla all the more. "...I do not consider what we did immoral! Not in the least!" He protested, trying his best to engage in some highground of dignity through this and salvage thatever he still could.

She was laughing now, smirking at him, which was an admittedly new and unique experience. "I did not mean involve as in romantically entangled! Merely that we engaged in..." he stopped with her asking about 'making love to a witch, groaning as he rubbed his head. "I am going about this all wrong. Where is your great beast of a cat to put me out of my misery and spare me the embarrassment of looking the fool before you?" Hopefully an attempt at humor would cheer her up, but she hardly seemed upset now.

...plus, he wasn't sure Kellas might not try actually try it.

"I do not consider what we did immoral!" Justin protested. "Not in the least!"

The noise that came out of Isla was a queer mixture of choke and scoff. She had never met a Christian who didn't consider extramarital sex immoral, particularly not one who was damn near a priest. Not that that had ever stopped them from sex, just that they had always boo-hoo'd about it later. She had heard Father Turnbull crashing through the woods as though he thought he was sneaky, and she had heard the sound of leather on flesh as he prayed the rosary. She had seen the way supposedly pious men had looked at her and at other girls in the village, and she'd seen the way other witch finders looked on them; more prey than woman. And she'd seen how much time those same men spent in the confessional.

"Now that's a first," she said, still trying not to snigger. When he denied that he had meant they were romantically entangled, she arched an eyebrow, then grinned when he wished Kellas would come and put him out of his misery. "Yer no badger, I doubt he's got the taste for human flesh. Yet, anyhow."

Finally she took pity on Justin and sat back next to him on the couch. Her eyes were somewhat softer, but she didn't touch him. No use in confusing the poor wee Christian. "Don't fall in love with the witch, witch finder," she said softly, "and maybe we can do this again." With a small smile she leaned forward and kissed him gently, then stood again and sashayed upstairs, leaving him alone with the great cat. From the mantle Kellas's yellow eyes watched him intently, his tail flicking slowly, patiently.

Justin could have had a giant shovel for all the digging of his own grave that he was doing here. He had stumbled perhaps a touch too much over everything and revealed bits of his soul that he had not intended to. True, he thought witches were (usually) sinful beings, but his faith had been tested more than once there. What he thought he believed had not always proven true....and that had also applied to sex, not that he was apt to share those views with priests at times. Justin had his own thoughts about witches at times as well.

BUt he was quite exposed before Isla Catanach now, with her also laughing at him, or at least repressing it now. He gave a sigh. "...With my like, the great dark beast'll whet his appetite at me first," he said as Isla dropped by him again. "...I..." he had no response to her words. 'Don't fall in love with the witch, witch finder.' But she wasn't a witch, she' made that clear.

Had she not? She left him with a final touch of her lips, alone with his confusion. He only noticed Kellas then, standing and approaching slowly to offer his hand. "Aye...there's a good cat..." he said to the mighty feline beast. "What did she call you again? Yes, there's a handsome..." he said as he hesitantly tried to pet him... All while Isla's words danced in his head. He'd need to investigate the village soon.

And the woods.

Briarwood Cottage was full of magic.

Or so it might seem, anyway, in the warm glow of autumn. What had happened before between them only happened once more, but the magic wasn't in what happened in the solitude of Isla's bed in the dark of the night. It was in the motes that floated upon shafts of slow golden sunlight and the gentle rhythm of routine. Justin was as good as Isla's word, following her around the farm, to and from town, and to all of her patients. The comfort of the witch's faithful shadow seemed to put her neighbors at ease, and in time the incident at the church seemed to be all but forgotten. Two more accusations of witchcraft were made, but nothing came of them and in the meantime Isla put the witchfinder to work where she could. She was up before the sun to feed the goats and chickens, to milk and gather eggs, and to bathe. The latter was usually done in private, not because of her nudity but because she prized her warm baths and didn't want to risk him seeing actual magic done. Then into town to tend to patients after, sunlight willing, back to the cottage to tend to her land and prepare for the coming cold.

As September slowly died she set Justin to work picking apples, pears, plums, and walnuts while she harvested the last of her garden and milled wheat into flour by hand, braided onion bulbs, shucked corn, and preserved pumpkins in clay jars. Patiently she showed him how to preserve the fruit and milk the goats, how to make jam of the blackberries, which herbs were for food, which for medicine, and which for both. The bees, however, were entirely her own. One particularly golden late afternoon Isla really did appear to be casting some sort of spell: she handled the hives with no gloves or veil, and the bees crawled all over her body but never stung her. She smiled and hummed quietly to them as she worked, occasionally praising them and looking for all the world like the personification of divine love as the setting sun struck a firey halo from her hair and glowed warmly on her freckled skin while bees flew around her and the great black cat perched regally at her feet. She harvested the honey and comb into jars before preparing the hives for winter. Each night, their work done, as she cooked supper she sang from a seemingly bottomless anthology of Scottish folk songs, both new and ancient, sung in English, Scots Gaelic, and some timeless-sounding language Justin didn't know. As a special treat one evening, she cooked some of the pears with honey, sweet woodruff, cloveroot, and a touch of brandy Mr. Broughton had given her by way of both payment and apology for his wife. Births usually yielded more precious in-kind payment than regular treatment, but this was an expensive French brandy he had picked up in Edinburgh and meant for their wedding anniversary. Now it had become a kingly peace-making gift that Isla accepted without too much protest.

Some time midmonth, when preparation for winter was nearly done, Isla began decorating. She strung acorns, leaves, and pinecones together on strings to make garlands, wove flowers and old de-thorned blackberry vines into a wreath, and often went about her work with playfully made flower crowns perched upon her brow. When there became less to do outside, she turned her attention to her home. It was neatly kept anyway, but now once a week she threw open the windows and set to deep-cleaning some part or another, whether it was the hearth or the rafters, chatting with Justin or singing as she went. She seemed to become more cheerful as the heat of summer more and more quickly became a distant memory. After supper many evenings they shared stories, real stories of their lives or ancient stories of their homelands, while Isla knit or sewed or mixed medicines for the following day, over cups of tea and occasional shy glances. Other evenings they sat in companionable silence, and sometimes Justin read one of her dozen books. Kellas watched all of this with dark golden eyes, supervising his humans in their work and laying across their laps whenever they appeared to intend to sit still long enough. It was all simple, but a good life.

And it was nearly always the tea that kept Justin from hearing her sneak out once a week in the dark of the night, or sneak back in just before sunrise.

Meanwhile in town, rumor began circulating. The witchfinder dogged the midwife's footsteps and no one saw anything suspicious in that surely enough. He had, after all, promised to keep an eye on her for a twomonth. But talk started--first amongst the women, then their husbands, then the rest of the town--about just how close an eye that was. Isla was a beautiful woman, any man with eyes could see that. And she had always mystified all the boys with her sharp wit and willful spirit, easy laughter and quick temper. But the good, God fearing folk of Orymen tended to hold their witchfinder to higher standards than they did their lads and had expected him to know better than to fall for her wiles. But the housewives had sharp eyes that were quick to catch even the smallest signs of an irregularity, and they saw the way Justin Crowe looked at Widow Catanach. It was the same way the butcher's boy looked, and the miller looked, and the farm boys looked, and they didn't like the looking at all. Magistrate Carlisle was quick to put down rumors that their witchfinder had himself been witched, but himself kept an eye on the pair as they went about their business. More than Crowe's looking, he noticed Widow Catanach looking back. It very much mirrored the way things had started with the late Mr. Catanach; sneaky sideways glances over at Justin as they walked or worked, occasional flushing whenever she thought she'd been caught. Carefully measured touches, timed so that he wouldn't think she was doing it intentionally but done very much intentionally. Once or twice he caught a tinge of pink on the witchfinder's cheeks that was more than just the chill in the air when his hand brushed hers. It was when he saw them arm-in-arm that he decided that it could not stand.

"Mr. Crowe, a word?" Mr. Carlisle strode briskly but was careful never to be seen as hurrying as he caught up with the pair. They were on their way out of town early in the afternoon. When they stopped he turned his pale grey gaze to Isla. His eyes had always seemed to her to be made of steel. "Thank you, Mrs. Catanach."

Isla's eyebrows rose slightly at the dismissal. When Carlisle's gaze flickered a fraction to their linked arms, she pulled hers hastily away like a chastened child, but stood her ground. "I ought to wait for Mr. Crowe," she said. "Sun'll start setting soon, and you know how the woods can be to strangers."

The corners of his mouth rose a hair in what he clearly believed to be a smile. "I'm certain the woods are familiar enough with Mr. Crowe by now that he will be quite safe, though your concern is noted. Thank you, Mrs. Catanach."

It was clear that he would not tolerate having to tell her a third time. Isla's mouth opened once, but she closed it and bobbed a shallow curtsy. "Magistrate," she murmured, then nodded at Justin. "See you at home." It was not lost on her that Kellas elected to remain with Justin.

Mr. Carlisle watched her go, waiting until the midwife was around the bend out of sight before pulling his gaze to the witchfinder and gestured in the opposite direction. "Walk with me?" Convention made it a question, but his tone didn't. His lip twinged in irritation as he caught the shape of a great black cat out of the corner of his eye, following a few paces behind and to the right. He ignored the beast, but not the suspicion that it was spying for its mistress.

"You obviously spend a great deal of time with the Widow Catanach, Mr. Crowe, as a course of your duties," he began, unsure of how to broach the delicate subject. "However, I cannot help but notice that the two of you seem to have become...friends." The word was loaded with a great deal more implication than that. Carlisle chewed on his tongue for a moment, trying to think of how to word his concerns. "It is no great shame for a man of the church to develop earthly ties or earthly desires, Mr. Crowe, particularly where women are concerned. Mrs. Catanach has, if you'll forgive the turn of phrase, bewitched nearly half the men in this village at one point or another, I daresay. She is very handsome. But if you have..." He stopped and turned to face Justin, staring intently into his eyes. "If you have, I pray you confess to yourself even if you won't confess to God, and send for help." His lean forward was very slight, but it only seemed to make him that much taller. "Orymen may be nothing to you, Mr. Crowe. We are very aware of how backwater we must seem to men like you, men who've seen cities and empires. But it is our village, these are our people, and it is our souls and our lives which are in danger every moment you spend in the thrall of the midwife. Stay or don't stay, but if you have found yourself guilty of sin then I pray you, recuse yourself and send for someone else."

Time passed and for just a bit, Justin Crowe could almost forget he was in this land on an assignment.

The Witchfinder General had grown to savor his time in Briarwood Cottage, alongside the mysterious and compelling Widow Isla Catanach. It took little time, but he was increasingly certain of her innocence in this affair. Her fiery willfulness was unlike what he had seen before, but in her own ways, she seemed a godly woman. It was not that she was overly devout, but rather she seemed to present the simple joy of existence as her devotion to higher powers. Isla Catanach believed deeply in the joys and rigors of life as they came, to take and savor them with each passing day. The aggrieved words of a single distraught mother ran as water from the down of a duck away from his back now.

He was not used to farm work, however. That much came as a surprise that Isla expected him, in no uncertain terms, to earn his keep. Justin was oft used to, as a servant of the crown, to be granted deference by those in the villages he happened upon. He did not ask for luxury or frippery, but now he was being treated like a laborer.

It did baffle him to some degree Isla could handle the works of such a rich cottage all on her lonesome. Her William must have been a strong and wealthy man when he had lived a good and rich life. But she took over so much he was amazed she had any time for herself, all while keeping her looks. No wonder the women of town sought to accuse her. Envy was a truly virulent sin.

In truth, he was delaying his exit, so captivated by the widow was he now. And to some degree, he appreciated the practical skills she had given him. As a former soldier, Justin knew his way around certain aspects of the land itself. He had grown up in humble origins and was well used to fending for himself. He also knew his way around meat and cooking. Stews had served them well on the frontiers.

Dazzling him more was Isla seemed to have cultivated crops from far overseas, doubtlessly the work of merchant connections. These broad orange gourds, these yellow tubes looked bizarre but tasted terrific. He did not quite care for milking goats, but he supposed it topped slaughtering them. Her knowledge of medicine and herbs was also dizzying as well. And through it all?

Kellas was there. Isla's beloved "handsome," the vast beast with burning eyes who seemed a silent shadow about. Justin was fond of the spoiled, loving fellow who seemed to refrain from ever entering any home in the village. At least he had not brought down any badgers. Justin was still half of the belief that was a tall tale, but thought it best not to press it overmuch. His clothing was also simpler now; gone were the thick cloak and buckle. His sword was set to the side and he wore simple clothes provided by the village, all while he listened to Isla speak. And sing, while accepting drink.

Time passed, as it ever did, Justin assisting with herbs and crops, surprised at how adept he had likewise grown in such a short time. The climate was pleasant enough, the skies surprisingly giving way from the gloom of dawn to a rosy midday....and through it, Justin was able to read, enjoying the collection of learning that Isla had assembled. So many books, of so many varied stories, while Kellas occasionally planted his considerable bulk across the Witchfinder's lap.

Justin had time, with nobody expecting him back anytime soon. He had sent a missive saying he intended to remain and search the village with a lengthy investigation. It did not escape Justin that some were discussing them, but he had long learned to ignore scurrilous rumors. In this case, he would not dignify them with any hint of confirmation. Especially, in fact, as some happened to be true.

It was on one such day, that Carlisle had followed him to the market, bidding Justin to a word. Justin inclined his own head to Isla, hearing how the magistrate spoke to Isla. He did not raise any objections himself, though his eyes bore a vague shadow as he contemplated what he and Isla truly meant to one another. He would be leaving eventually, that much was certain...but...

"Mr. Carlisle," Justin began with dignity, noting Kellas remaining by his feet. "My private affairs are not to be your concern, except as they concern the village. I was brought here to do a job and I am doing it." Well, that was one way to put it, wasn't it? "Sir, I have traveled from one end of these isles to the next and I have found supposition and superstition taking the place of logic more times than I can count. I am well aware of the guiles and trickeries of witchcraft, more than you might know." He felt a stab of anger at the questioning of his integrity. "I have seen nothing but a determined widow, educated and intelligent with a vast array of knowledge of medicine, herbs, the cultivation of crops and unusual imports from the new world. That is all." Justin shook his head. "Should we allow jealousy and grief to dictate the affairs of the planet, it would be a markedly sadder place, in my estimation. Other help will be quite unnecessary." Justin pursed his lips.

"Should you doubt me, then I will hear you out. But if you mean to insinuate anything, then I pray, say it, man." He folded his arms grimly. "Or will you merely replace me with a man who tells aggrieved widows what they wish to hear? That the town requires a scapegoat for its grief and damn justice and rightness in all the matter?"

He shook his head. "I will bid you a farewell, Mr. Carlisle. I shall see you on the morrow and we shall discuss my findings then." He strode off without another word, nor backwards glance, looking down at Kellas. "I was not harsh enough by half," Justin sighed. "I wonder if this remains safe. You might consider me harsh, Kellas, but I assure you next to men like Darius Thorne, I am as gentle as one of the lambs." He paused for a moment.

"....Look at me. The day's stress is wearing upon me. I'm talking to a cat." He said as he set his way back to Isla...with a glance at the woods.

It suddenly occurred to him...he had not truly set foot within, nor had he inquired too much about local lore on those places...it hadn't come up between himself and Isla. He resolved to research that more soon...

And maybe set foot within them himself.

Carlisle's nostrils flared when Crowe declared that his private affairs were none of his concern. "And they now do concern the village, sir," he answered tersely. His eyes narrowed slightly as the witchfinder all but declared Isla's innocence when he had yet to even fulfill his original promise to observe her over the course of two months. Everyone knew that the season of witches' sabbaths was upon them, and if Isla Catanach was a witch, now was the time to catch her in the act.

"I insinuate nothing," he retorted sharply. "If you do not wish me to be delicate in the public square, then very well. Rumor abounds and your habit and countenance would confirm that you have fallen in love with your charge. Whether or not this itself is evidence of witchcraft is irrelevant; you are incapable of rendering impartial judgement in regards to Mrs. Catanach. If you will not send for someone to aid you, then I. Will." The final words were crisp and final. Crowe bade him farewell and he nodded curtly, turning on his heel and heading to the town hall at a clipped pace. It wouldn't matter what his findings were. He and the rest of the village council would draft a letter this afternoon, this very hour, and send it by post on the morrow.

As Justin strode away Kellas trotted next to him, trilling in agreement when he declared that he hadn't been harsh enough.

"...Look at me," he said after a moment. "The day's stress is wearing upon me. I'm talking to a cat."

"Then truly I must labor under such stress every waking moment." Isla smirked as she pushed herself off of a tree and unfolded her arms. She had waited for him around the first bend, still unwilling to trust the spirits of the wood. "Alastair Carlisle never met a body he couldn't control or bully. Whatever he had to say, pay it no mind; he lives to make life difficult for the rest of us, just like his father and his father before him. Now come." She put her hand gently in the crook of his arm and started leading him once again down the path home. "Today you learn how to make hay while the sun shines."

She was as good as her word. Back at the cottage Isla handed him a scythe and showed him how to use it, at one point pressing her front against his back and repositioning his hands carefully. Once he got the hang of it, the knee-high grass was felled quickly and his next task was to gather it into bundles as fodder for the goats and chickens over the winter. While Justin worked outside, Isla worked inside. All of the windows and doors were thrown open despite the chill and everything was dusted, swept, and scrubbed top to bottom. She would do it again in a little over a month for the new year, but now was a time for letting go and so it was only right to let go of the past year's energies and sorrows. By nightfall the grass was mown, the house was sparkling, and there was a pair of squirrels for supper that the Forbes boy had gotten with a slingshot and given as payment for getting him and his brother through that nasty bug last week. Throughout supper, however, Isla was quieter than usual and kept glancing out the window distractedly.

Perhaps this distraction was why she had forgotten to make tea after supper. Perhaps this distraction was what led her to creep down the stairs and out of the house in the middle of the night, near the witching hour.

Justin was dimly aware that antagonizing Carlisle may not have been a wise decision but he was currently too frustrated by the man's presumption to care overmuch. He had heard the rest of what the magistrate had to say and was doing his best to ignore the lot of it. It was not only the insinuations against Isla, but against himself now, implying he had neglected his duties in this. He was Justin Crowe, for the love of God, Justin Crowe and his name meant something. He pursed his lips, aware he was suddenly engaged in the sins of pride.

His attention was drawn to Kellas. "Am I making any errors, Kellas?" He asked. The cat, of course, did not respond with words, only giving a loud meow followed by a purring rumble. "Yes, you'll get your milk later," muttered Justin with a shake of his head. "He says he'll send for someone..." That was the thing that worried him most. Other witchfinders were not always men of virtue. Some considered this a job.

Some were even paid for witches they found. Some ensured they did find witches, no matter what. Justin had heard the stories of the subject and Carlisle seemed resolute. How could he make this damned town see sense? What had happened to convince them about Isla? What made them doubt his integrity? To center in on an innocent women and...

True. They had slept together upon his arrival. That was perhaps a mark against his objectivity. But even so, he would notice, dammit!

Just before Isla emerged. Justin kept from jumping. "Isla, it is good to see you," he said, not acknowledging yet what she had said about Carlisle. He simply allowed her to take hold of him. "Did you find what you needed?" He lifted his eyebrow. Truly, this was an educational place, he thought. Every day he was learning something new.

Seeing the cottage filled him with a gentle joy, while he kept close to Kellas, the cat looking up at him while he took hold of the scythe, reaping at the grains. Swing once, twice, thrice, a fourth time..working as the farmer. He noted Isla's hands bore the marks of one used to labor, all while he participated in the assistance, in each chore and task. By the end, he felt a strange satisfaction, more satisfied than he had with his actual work. It felt...good, he thought, to do this himself. It brought satisfaction and he was pleased with that.

He took to bed later, having noted Isla's distractions...laying back, he settled in with a blanket, still thinking of Alastair Carlisle and everything else. He had thought to ask Isla what was wrong, but nothing had come to mind. The words would not emerge for him.

He remained there, when he should be asleep, only to hear...something. Footsteps. Kellas seemed asleep, so that meant...he realized suddenly it was Isla...and she was retreating outside. He waited as long as he could, his mind in sudden turmoil.

Was she in trouble? Was this something more? He had to know. He had to see it. He slipped from bed, donning his cloak and he began to follow. Towards the woods, stealthy and unseen in the back.

All with a dreadful sense of foreboding.

Isla moved over the fresh-mown lawn like shadow and slipped silently into the trees. The moon was nearly new, and only a very slight sliver of light was available to light her way. Even that was sometimes hidden by clouds. It didn't matter; this was her wood. She knew it better than she knew her own soul. She moved carefully to avoid crashing too loudly through the brush, a few vines tugging at her nightdress as she passed but letting go like a lover holding onto his sweetheart's hand until the last moment as they parted ways. Halfway to her destination she stopped, straining to hear. Slowly she smiled.

"You're not as sneaky as you think." Her voice was low and warm and mischievous. "Not by half."

"Ach! Crivens!" A tiny voice came from a branch above her. "Does nothin' scape the hag o' the hills?"

She chuckled. "Not much. What are you doing?"

"Weell...seein' as it's one o' yer fancy days..." The silhouette of the Feegle on the ground in front of her rubbed the back of his neck, rocking back onto his heels then forth again to the balls of his feet.

Isla rolled her eyes, shook her head, then laughed again. Feegles might have been scared of "hags," but they knew their rules for High Sabbaths well enough. "I suppose it's good I always bring a spare." She leaned down and held out a bottle of mead that had been put away last year. "Blessed Be, Awfully Wee Mad Spike." She raised her voice a little. "And all the rest of you scunners!"

"Aye, blessed be an' all that, Mistress," Awfully Wee Mad Spike said cheerfully, and both bottle and Feegle disappeared in the span of a blink. There was the quiet scurrying of tiny feet on bark, and the feeling of being watched in the woods diminished.

Diminished, but never faded entirely. One was never truly alone in these woods.

Isla pulled the hood of her cloak over her hair, disappearing against the inky black of night, and continued on her way. Another twenty or so minutes brought her to a clearing in the trees. A bonfire roared, making the naked branches cast twisting shadows this way and that. If there was anyone else in the clearing, it was difficult to tell. Near the fire were two bowls. Isla knelt in front of them, pulling back the hood of her cloak and dipping the fingers of her left hand in one bowl. She sang in a loud voice clear as water a chanting sort of song in an ancient-sounding language lost to most while she dragged her fingertips from the inner corners of her eyes alongside her nose, past the corners of her lips, to her chin, leaving behind streaks of deep red. The fingers of her right hand she dipped into the other bowl and dragged her fingers horizontally across her eyes before crossing each eyelid and daubing the bright blue woad in vertical lines down her chin. At this point any onlookers would become aware of a steady drumming. The drumming hadn't started, but had simply always been, low in the background as it pounded out the natural rhythm of the forest around them. It was heard, of course, but also felt in the chest, the steady thrumming of the Earth that had always been and would always be if only man had heart to listen. But they never did, these days, did they?

Arise, child of the forest. It was impossible to tell whether the voice was in one's head, or coming from the trees all around. Shed the trappings of man and become your true self once more.

Isla obeyed. Slowly she rose to her feet, unfastened her cloak, and let it fall to the forest floor. Just as slowly she pulled at the tie of her nightdress and let it slip over her shoulders, down her torso, over her hips, and let it pool around her feet. Despite the chill, and perhaps because of the fire, she stood silhouetted against the flames in the late September chill without a stitch on her body. The shadows of the forest began to shift unnaturally. Tall, ethereal women and dangerous and wild-looking men gradually appeared from between the trees, dwarfing the flame-haired little witch. Their faces were daubed with woad, though they had not smeared blood across their skin the way she had; they had taken enough blood into their very beings that the symbolism would have been lost on them. The drumming of Earth-life grew louder, more urgent, and was joined by the music of the long-forgotten thunder and rain of aeons past. Isla joined hands with the wild people, smiling and laughing and singing as they danced wildly about the fire, twenty or thirty beings all there together in worship and song. Her hair flew out behind her, streaming in a streak of orange that was easy to keep track of among all the browns and greens and blues. Together their voices raised as one in an eerie chorus of praise. Their feet worked in complicated patterns as they circled the fire together, hands clasped and raised high, then broke apart into twos and threes and fours, then came together again.

Just as gradually as they had appeared, the wild people began to disappear. They were never seen actually leaving the clearing, but the circle grew smaller and smaller until the dancers could no longer fit around it. Eventually only one other woman remained, clasping hands with Isla as they sang a hauntingly beautiful melody. The woman's voice was high and clear, complemented and harmonized perfectly by Isla's lower, richer voice lending something more of humanity to the ethereal Pagan psalm. Eventually the wild woman crowned Isla with a circlet of leaves, flowers, berries, and other brick-a-brack most would have considered weeds. She blessed Isla with a soulful, yet somehow still chaste, kiss and Isla bowed to her.

And then she was gone. She hadn't walked off into the forest, nor suddenly disappeared. It was as though the wild woman had been slowly fading the entire time, and only now could the brain register that she was gone entirely. Isla was once again alone in the clearing.

"Child." A deep voice came from the other side of the fire.

Immediately Isla sank to her knees. "My Lord."

Over the enormous fire was briefly visible a pair of horns. As the man walked through the fire, it became more apparent that they were antlers broader than a man's shoulders and taller than Isla when she stood ramrod straight. The man had the legs of a goat--or, more appropriately, a deer since he stood a little over seven feet tall--with hairless tights, between which his manhood stood erect, as nearly as long as Isla's forearm and as thick around as her wrist. From the thighs and up, he appeared human and in his face was a dark beauty even the most chaste of women might struggle to resist. He leaned down and gently tilted her face up to meet his gaze with one finger crooked under her chin. She kept that intense gaze and, as that finger put the slightest pressure under her chin, rose to her feet. Without his asking, one of her hands curled around his shaft--at chest height to her--and stroked him slowly.

"You honor me with your presence at this holy Sabbath, my Lord Cernunnos." She glanced downwards, then coyly back up at his face and licked her lips. "To what do I owe what is certain to be a great pleasure?"

Lord Cernunnos smiled beneficently and shivered at her touch. "And miss a Mabon celebration with the favorite child of the forest?" He leaned down to kiss her deeply. "My most dedicated high priestess?" He purred deep in his throat and shook his head. "Never." He sank to his knees in front of her, and even so was eye-level to her even without the addition of his antlers. "Your praises call to me across my island." He kissed her throat and rested his hands on her hips. "Not in centuries had that happened. Not in centuries has a human so loved their Earth as you and your William." His lips strayed to her breasts and one hand slid from her hip across the crease of her thighs, between them where two large fingers stroked gently at her sex.

Isla gasped and closed her eyes as he touched her. "My William is dead these many years." Her hands flew out to steady herself on his shoulders. "My God is my love."

"And your God loves you," he assured her, his voice muffled against her skin. "The God of Abraham leaves his people to suffer, turning his back to them and abandoning them in silence. I am not such a god." Cernunnos pulled at her hips gently, and Isla was forced to spread her feet wide as she was brought to stand straddling his thighs. "My faithful are rewarded for their praise," he looked up into her face and smiled at the blood smeared from her eyes to her chin, "their sacrifice."

"I have sacrificed everything for you, my Lord," Isla assured him, shivering as his warm tongue lapped over her nipple. "Almost unto death. And I would, if it came to it."

"I know you would." Cernunnos pulled again at Isla's hips, this time guiding her slowly downward. "Which is why of all days, you deserve a reward for your loyalty on this Sabbath."

She whimpered slightly; despite her wetness, his shaft still stretched her to discomfort at first, and she felt this would be the part she could never get used to. Gods were selfish lovers, she had learned over the years, and her comfort tended to be a secondary or even tertiary thought in the depths of his ancient mind. Gradually she grew reaccustomed to it, and braced herself against his shoulders as she moved, rolling her hips as she took the tip inside her and kissed her god hard. One hand slid to clench in his hair and he chuckled at her brazenness.

"Oh little one," he sighed. "You never seem to grow used to the gratitude of a god." He stood, easily taking her with him as though she weighed nothing, and pressed her back against a tree.

"Would it truly be godly if I could grow used to it?" Isla smirked when she made him laugh. She suspected that was one of the things he liked about her: her boldness, and her quick tongue.

The smirk was quickly wiped away when he pressed deeper inside her. Isla gasped and her nails bit into his shoulders as his cock slowly pressed into her while Cernnunos easily supported her with one hand.

"My Lord!" she gasped, letting her head hang back against the tree. "Please...oh gods please...!"

Cernunnos smirked, seeming to enjoy her struggle to form words. "Please--" a deep groan of pleasure "what?"

"Let me...let me..." She couldn't do it. She couldn't form the words. Her brain had gone completely blank of most forms of language, and she was left instead to the base animal instincts of her body. But that was part of his godhood, wasn't it? Instincts and urges?

Without further explanation she pressed her strong thighs against his sides, using them to steady her as she slid down his throbbing shaft then up once more. Cernunnos groaned and gripped her hips, slowly thrusting into her. With each thrust was a gentle swell of her belly as his thick cock penetrated her cervix, over and over, slowly but surely, pulling moans from her throat as one hand still rubbed steadily at her clit. Isla's hands flew from his shoulders to his head, gripping his horns and pulling him suddenly down in a brazen move for a deep kiss.

Her daring at treating her god so only seemed to spur him on. Cernunnos picked up the pace, both in stimulating his priestess and in penetrating her, his teeth scraping roughly against her lip as they lost themselves in a carnal kiss.

"Fuck me," she begged breathlessly. "Fill...fill me with...your...divinity...My...My Lord...Lord Cernunnos!" She cried his name aloud, cumming around him, pulling again at his antlers to bury his face in her breasts as she reached her satisfaction with him.

This seemed to break something in the god which had previously been holding him back. Teeth and lips and tongue wandered over her breasts, her nipples, as he gripped her hips and rear with both hands and pounded into her seemingly without concern for her comfort. Isla cried out wordlessly in pleasure, arching her back, gripping his antlers for dear life as her lord god used her to reach his pleasure, filling her with his seed, leaving them both panting and spent against the ancient oak tree in the bonfire clearing. He knew that she was unaware of their unannounced visitor, but the witch finder was of little consequence to him; let him watch. Perhaps he could learn a thing or two about how to treat a high priestess of the Earth.

Justin Crowe was a man of bravery and renown. He had fought in the armies of King and Country. He had worn mail and carried a blade he was familiar with the use of. His skill was known throughout the land for the sheer prowess he offered. It was not the first time he had walked into the woods on bleak pursuits. But this was the time he felt his mind surrounded by tides of grim shadow, threatening to hold him back...he tried to banish them with absolutely no success in the matter. The more he tried, the more he thought of Isla and all the secrets in this city...

In the woods. Ah, was there any word that could so encompass the darkest secrets of the world? A word that could encompass the bleakness and mystery of the wilderness? The woods, where so many s trange things lurked and emerged from. The woods, whose ancient tales were uttered from the lips of old granddams to their children, ancient warnings that were passed from generation to generation....

The ancient peoples of Britannia had spoken of the beings that dwelt, and spoke in tongues from the time before man. Beings who dwelt within pockets of shadow, betwixt fantasy and reality....who dealt in bargains. Not in souls the ways devils did. Beings whom the church might have classified as demons...

In fact, the Catholic Church had attempted to declare the simple belief in them as heretical. The only power was that of God himself. There was no magic, to even believe in witches was folly. But Justin was no Christian and he believed not so much in witches as in the evidence his own eyes told him.

And he had seen witches. He had seen beings who would not, could not exist...beings who had not troubled him. Beings who had shown no interest in the affairs of humankind, nor in harming them....he had shared Isla's house and her bed...

Could she have deceived him? Could she hav e fooled him? The idea pained him. Not that Isla would be a witch. But the idea that she might have lied to him. She surely did not hold her tongue easily, Justin Crowe thought. But some confused assertiveness with heresy and he was...

What? Taken with her? She was a woman, he shared her bed, compromised his investigation and his ethics. The thought infuriated him briefly...but he had trusted her. She was an honest woman. Wasn't she?

A crow trilled, though he did not raise his head. He felt that he was not alone in these woods. Perhaps nobody was truly alone i these woods. But his sword was good steel, and more than that, his knives were made of fine iron. For when the things that lurked in the woods and the ancient trees, with eyes of fish-like pale lamps...they could be hurt by iron.

In fact, some questioned Justin's adherence to old ways and old methods. Faith in god was enough, they said. But whatever things had crafted all this so, had placed these weaknesses within those creatures...old as they were, Justin thought, nothing was older than God and nothing escaped His dominion. The lord was with him. God was by his side and would not abandon him

And in his mind, echoing through his brain, he could hear the sound of drums. A steady, soft beat, a thump, thump, THUMP, in the distance.

"Where hence do you come, Justin Crowe? Where hence do you seek?" It was not uttered from any human throat. In fact, the words were those of the forest itself. The seductive murmur of the great woods, compelling him on. Justin's fist clenched as the forests asked him, taunted him, compelled him....

Making him remember...making him remember his mother, the witches and what they had done, his father and all that had happened...all of it, everything he had dealt with. The witches he had hunted and destroyed in revenge. And the witches he had...spared.

Those he had fled from, when he'd realized their magic had been there to help others. When others could not understand it. He moved onward, pushing forth...

Trying, trying, trying so HARD...until Isla had captivated him.

And this was the Sabbath. The holy day of witches, those who connected their magic to either the woods. Or to thr darkness. As many witches as there were birds in the sky or beasts of prey, Justin knew as the fires raged all throughout his mind. "I acknowledge you not," he said, his voice grim and cold now. His hand tightened on the hilt of his sword, his gait quickening. "I do not acknowledge you...you are not here."

The laughter that greeted him was worse than any verbalized taunt. He ignored it, stepping forward. Isla's name was repeated over and over again, like a benediction, like an endless prayer through his head. On and on he went.

On he went...and the clearings gave way. He remembered ancient names, strange names. Names of the ancient deities of the wood. He saw the shadows drift about him, laughing figures in black and white, of pale-faced beings who smiled tauntingly at him....

And he saw the being before them. Isla, naked as a witch upon Sabbath, clinging to a being there. She was astride the figure, her red hair flowing down her back, her back arched and face contorted in pleasure, gripping it as it gripped to her. He was fixed there, for all he had expected, this had disarmed and unmanned him.

The sight was twisted, a violation of all he held dear, a pain in his chest robbing him of his voice...and he stared ahead, at her, at Isla Catanach, at unmitigated proof of the early suspicions, at her engaged in a dark and blasphemous rite...

He stared. Unable to pause and look away, a mixture of felings seeping through him.

He lost his grip on his sword, his shock evident...

As he had no idea of what to do now.

There was an unearthly roar of pleasure as Cernnunos filled the little witch with his seed, bringing her with him again over that precipice of carnal fulfillment. Isla leaned against the tree, her chest heaving, her thighs shaking as they dangled from her god's grip. Cernunnos, too, took a moment to catch his breath. Her god was not like the Christian god; he was flawed, he was lustful, he was selfish with his priestess, he was jealous... But he was beautiful. He was generous with his gifts and with his body. He was her protector and her benefactor, he brought the spring and he brought the snow. And right at this moment Isla was filled with a warm, divine, all-consuming love for him.

Carefully he withdrew from her and set her onto her feet between the roots of the oak tree, then laughed and caught her when her legs were still too weak to support herself. "Come to me on Samhain," he said, a warm chuckle still in his voice. "Celebrate with me the passing of the old year into the new, and you shall have my protection and favor for another year."

Isla nodded, clinging to his forearm until her legs no longer felt like jelly. She looked up into those dark eyes and her knees nearly buckled again. "And...a child?" Every Mabon and Ostara since she had first been brought to him, she had asked the same question. In the back of her mind a brief suspicion had always sat like a toad that this was why she had lost the only child she and William had ever been able to conceive, and that they had only managed that one.

Just as every other equinox celebration, the god laughed warmly and shook his head. "Not yet."

She snorted. She would have stamped her foot it it weren't so childish. "When? My William is gone and there is no other; I would give you a child if you asked it. I--" There was a thud in the leaves, and the brief clang of metal on a rock.

Cernunnos laughed. "You've bigger concerns at the moment. Blessed Be, little one."

Before she could say anything, he was gone. Again it wasn't a sudden disappearance so much as the brain suddenly realizing it could no longer see him. With a look of concern Isla turned to face the wood. "Show yourself," she commanded, "and no harm will come to you." It wasn't a promise, but show yourself and maybe I'll have to do something to you depending on who you are and how much you've seen didn't roll off the tongue quite as well. There was the rustling of leaves and the sounds of a scuffle.

"We've got 'im, Mistress!"

She frowned. "Awfully Wee Mad Spike?"

"And Big Wullie!" The Feegles came trooping out. "We caught 'im spyin' oan yer Fancy Day Ta-Do wi' yer big horny lad there. Tisn't right, spyin' on a private pairtie." She knew Feegles better by now than to point out that *they* had been spying too. Isla choked when a handful of Feegles followed Wullie and Spike, dragging the witch finder with them.

"*Justin?*" She stared at him for a long moment, suddenly feeling the night chill again despite the bonfire. "What...what did you see?"

Justin Crowe was a witchfinder, sworn to God Almighty above. He was a servant of the church, a warrior for the crown of England. He was a man who presented as a model to society. He was a warrior to the divine, he who had been blessed by angels. He had weathered storms time and again, tempering justice with mercy. And nothing could have prepared him from the sight he saw....of this god, the demon, the being of primordial forests and nature with Isla astride it.

HIM, rather, for the beast was unquestionably male. The Sabbath, they called it, when witches would dance naked and rut with their devil. But this being was no devil, no creature of hell it was said. Justin remembered the arch of Isla's body beneath his own, the sweet moans of her voice echoing in his ear, the passion he had torn from her, the mastery of her desire that she possessed within...

And he did not know how to feel. For perhaps the first time in a very, very long time, Justin had no idea what to do. Should he strike? Should he flee? He could see Isla cling to the god of the primordial forests and...the way she looked at...

The desire in her eyes. The pleasure. The passion...envy was one of the cruelest of the deadly sins and he felt its sudden caress in his mind, the whispering bite as he fought so much in his mind against them. That Isla wanted this, desired this, struck him to his very core. "I..."

He felt hands close on him just when Isla turned to the woods. Not yet, he thought. Not yet, it could not be on those terms, he thought, panicked as the hands closed on him. Pulled along, Justin tried to struggle to no avail in their iron grip, hearing them snicker quietly as he was pulled along.

What a Witch Finder he made indeed! Caught, with no reach for his sword. Justin was down at the feet of Isla Catanach, controlling his breath, trying not to view her in her nudity.

"What did you see?"

He looked at her, fearless. If he'd meet the end, let him meet it. He looked into her eyes and said calm. "What do believe I saw?" The answer was obvious: 'everything.'

And yet...somehow. Somehow he did not fear her. Not truly. Somehow he found the strength to swallow and stare at her close. "....How long?" He whispered.

"What do I believe I saw?"

Isla frowned. That was the real question, wasn't it? She sighed and rubbed her eyes. He'd clearly seen everything, and now the big question was how he, the witch finder, would interpret clear practices of witchcraft. Would he killer? He could try, said a voice in the back of her mind. She was a favorite child of the forest, here in its heart, with the blessing and protection of her gods. Cernunnos, if no one else, would intercede on her behalf. She had to believe that.

"How long?" Justin whispered.

Isla raised her eyebrows slightly. That question caught her off-guard. "My entire life," she answered honestly. No point in lies now; she'd been caught out in everything. "This is my land, my steading, and these are my people. Mistress Aching was the high priestess of the Orymen hills before me, before plague took her, and my Will was brought up in the Ways. Pure coincidence, of course; I did love him, the shared religion was just a bonus." Isla sat in front of him, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around her shins. "That's all it is, you know: a religion. My power can be used for good or ill just the same as the Pope's can. The difference is, if I choose to harm folk I have to actually get my hands bloody." She rolled her lower lip over her teeth. "I never have, you know. Hurt anyone. By magic or any other means. Not on purpose. Well, when I was fifteen I headbutted Colm Douglass and broke his nose, but he deserved it." She smiled a little, hoping to break the tension. "Are you gonnae try to kill me?"

Emphasis on try. Perhaps she had developed a soft spot for the witch hunter, but that didn't mean she was going to quietly let him lead her to the pyre. Reasons to use magic--real magic--were few and far between, but by talon and hoof she wasn't going to die without throwing everything she had at him.

Back
Top Bottom