Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you care about the Tokyo Olympics?

Do you care about the Tokyo Olympics?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters

Lady Irony

Banned
Banished
The Tokyo games have already been delayed due to CoVid and I can't help but wonder if it is sensible at all to gather athletes from all over the world just so they can run really fast and play sports etc.

To me it is an elitist thing and of course big money is at risk but what about the possibility of a CoVid outbreak? And yeah, sure they say every care will be taken but I think we have all seen examples in our respective countries that fuck ups happen and Governments are rather incompetent.

So... my questions, would you even care if the games were cancelled?
Do you think they are worth the risk?

Last edited:
The Olympics I don't care about, but if they wanted to cancel the World Cup? I'd be fucking outraged.

I'm not accounting for money, politics, Covid, anything. I'm completely indifferent to the Olympic games. But I need my soccer.

I find the whole process destructive and wasteful with it moving location to location. Have a coalition build some stadiums or whatever in Greece, because history, and just host them there. That way they can have their games and the facilities do not lay under utilized after causing X amount of people to be evicted from their homes.

Article about people being kicked out of homes for the olympics.
I agree and I also think in regards to the sports that don't involve direct contact between the athletes they should just have them stay in their home countries and compete there. Weight lifting, synchronized swimming, shooting etc I don't see why athletes have to be flown around the world for that.

I've also read that the OOC are the only ones that can cancel the games the host country has no say in it which sounds like making a deal with the Mafia!

Having them in the same country every time would make the most sense, the host country/city actually lose money by hosting anyway although the businesses in the area tend to get a spike. I think a lot of that loss is due to having to build all the accommodation, venues etc.

I just find the whole concept to be silly and they don't even stick to the old philosophy of not mixing politics and sports anymore either.

The olympics have been political for a long time. And honestly sports have always been political.

Just look at all the riots in Constantinople started by one faction or another for chariot teams.

I think the Olympics are completely hypercritical. A runner will be banned for accepting $1 of payment but professional tennis players compete!

I think the Olympics are completely hypercritical. A runner will be banned for accepting $1 of payment but professional tennis players compete!
And basketball where you have one country in particular that has a "Dream Team" made up of millionaire basketball players! Tell me they aren't getting some kind of $$$ incentive under the table!

Never in particular cared for the Olympics myself over all. I always feel that it's something of a vanity project for whoever hosts the olympics and it seems to always cost more than its worth. And as Nihil said, it can force people out of their homes which is... Kinda shitty to put it mildly.

And basketball where you have one country in particular that has a "Dream Team" made up of millionaire basketball players! Tell me they aren't getting some kind of $$$ incentive under the table!
Exactly - it makes a mockery of amateur sport. I guess the dollar rules every time! It's a shame because although I don't really follow many of the sports, I do like the spectacle of the Olympics.

I just read that my sports mad country of Australia spends $500 million every 4 years on Olympic athletes! That is insane and makes the gold medals won by Australia at the Rio games worth $17 million each!

I also had to do a double take the other day when I saw BMX riding was now an Olympic sport as is surfing and in 2024 they are including Break Dancing which I thought died out in the 80's and could hardly be classed as a sport. And i thought they lost the plot when they included walking as a sport!

No doubt they are chasing a younger audience but I don't think this will work for them.

I think if it's possible to schedule certain events (like tennis for example) they should just have wimbledon twice or something and give the second wimbledon winner a gold medal instead of a wimbledon. I don't think there should be a full blown olympics but I do think some events can happen.

Eh just another money sink. Waste of time and resources but I say that about a lot of things that people appreciate.

I thought they were cancelled?
Not yet but the Japanese people themselves want it cancelled and if they go ahead the country would have to be placed into a State of Emergency as well as hospitals potentially being overwhelmed.

The IOC sound like the Mafia!

The IOC’s extraordinary powers

And yet, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has said the decision to cancel the games lies ultimately and unilaterally with the IOC.

It seems extraordinary that a private entity such as the IOC can wield such influence in a sovereign state faced with a severe public health challenge.

Suga’s comments have been explained by both political rigidityand national pride. But they are also reflective of the language and obligations in the host city contract signed between the IOC and Tokyo in 2013.

Read more: Olympic athletes speak up: current COVID plans aren't enough to keep them safe

This is an extraordinary document. An example of the nature of the power granted to the IOC can be seen in clause 72.

If, over the next few weeks, the Japanese government seeks to pass a law or even a public health regulation, which has adverse consequences for the hosting of the games (and thus adverse commercial consequences for the IOC), this could be considered a breach of contract. And this would justify termination of the contract by the IOC.

Clause 66 contains the full range of powers the IOC has to terminate the contract. If Japan decides in the next few weeks it simply cannot deliver the games, this clause permits the IOC at its sole discretion to simply walk away from the contract.

Under either scenario, Tokyo would not only bear the costs for the preparations to date, but would also remain obliged to indemnify the IOC from any third-party claims, actions or judgements.

People like it because they latch all sorts of stuff on top. It still doesn't mean anything, but it feels good...

...though not to me, both because I don't really care and per above, some of the stuff around it is just shitty.

I used to be psyched for the Olympics because it was something interesting to watch.
Over the years the novelty has worn off and I don't think I've watched since I graduated high school.

Still think it's a cool idea and such, but, there are so many problems. Maybe the concept of international athletics needs to be shelved until the earth can get some of its other problems worked out.

Considering that I was on the team that designed Alibaba's interactive pavilion for the 2020 Olympics... which was canceled about a week after I finished. And I stayed with that agency that I hated and underpaid me for an extra year just so I could have that project in my portfolio... and I won't even get to see what I designed... well, yeah. I care. In a bad way.

As a martial artist, I despise the Olympics. For one, they essentially destroyed Judo by removing leg grabs and then the rules for each of the sports they have are terrible. No boxing person likes it. Olympic Boxing is based on strikes landed as opposed to damage done. It's not the proper way to judge a boxing fight.

Then they added Karate this year with Kata included for some reason. Why? Kata is a part of Karate from a traditional point of view but it's not a big part of modern Karate. Also, why have Karate,, Taekwondo and Boxing when you could just have Kickboxing or Muay Thai instead? Yeah, there's slight rules variation between those disciplines but most professionals fight in kickboxing anyways.

Martial Arts in the Olympics are very outdated. Almost everybody cross trains today, even the most hardcore Judokas that I know have taken atleast three or four classes in BJJ.

They'll never add MMA because they think it's human cokfighting and they don't like it. That's fine but as a grappler, I have no idea why Judo and wrestling need to be seperated.

As a martial artist, I despise the Olympics. For one, they essentially destroyed Judo by removing leg grabs and then the rules for each of the sports they have are terrible. No boxing person likes it. Olympic Boxing is based on strikes landed as opposed to damage done. It's not the proper way to judge a boxing fight.

Then they added Karate this year with Kata included for some reason. Why? Kata is a part of Karate from a traditional point of view but it's not a big part of modern Karate. Also, why have Karate,, Taekwondo and Boxing when you could just have Kickboxing or Muay Thai instead? Yeah, there's slight rules variation between those disciplines but most professionals fight in kickboxing anyways.

Martial Arts in the Olympics are very outdated. Almost everybody cross trains today, even the most hardcore Judokas that I know have taken atleast three or four classes in BJJ.

They'll never add MMA because they think it's human cokfighting and they don't like it. That's fine but as a grappler, I have no idea why Judo and wrestling need to be seperated.
The ancient Olympics started as combat training essentially for soldiers which is why there are still a lot of combat related events. I would much rather see MMA in the Olympics over break dancing and skateboarding which I think is just ridiculous and as Lady I mentioned, is a desperate attempt to appeal to a younger audience, one that I think will fail.

Overall, I think with CoVid still having it's effect, people see the games as a pompous unnecessary risk. People have lost loved ones, jobs, businesses, dreams have been derailed and put on hold etc

Will be interesting to see how many CoVid cases develop from this and how many are taken back to the athletes home countries. Not that Samoa will make the world quake or anything but they won't be sending a team and I wonder if other countries also feel it's just not worth it.

Did I watch the Olympics? Not really.

Did I watch the Paralympics? Not all of it, but I gave it more attention than I gave the "regular" Olympics.

A lot of us can learn valuable life lessons from the Paralympians.

I respect the amount of training and dedication one must have to compete on the Olympic level, but I sincerely don't give a single fuck about who wins or loses at it. That being said, the way people erupted on Simone Biles for needing to back out was aggravating. Someone at her level of skill says she needs to back down? Then she probably really needs to back down.

I wasn't interested at all and given what is happening with CoVid and how so many people have been out of work and lock downs etc I thought it was the dumbest and most irresponsible thing to do. They need to come up with other ways of doing this as it is also at odds with Climate Change where you are flying all these people into a place just to play sports. Smacks of Elite hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom