Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Character types you tend to gravitate towards writing/writing with?

Caligula

Mercurial
Not sure if there's already a thread on this, but I didn't notice any active ones that were similar so I decided to give it a shot.

I like villains and characters with questionable morals. Typically, if I'm pairing a character with an asshole, I'd prefer that character to be one as well so they're not a doormat because that becomes boring or even frustrating at times. Aesthetically, I like less beefy guys, maybe muscular but not the bodybuilder types. A body type I like but rarely find in FxM pairings are guys on the lankier side. Style-wise, I really like the (mainly retro) punk style and facial piercings or androgynous to straight-up feminine clothing.

Characters I write for the most part come in these categories: a variety of bitches and Stepford Smilers with obvious issues confronting their trauma. To varying degrees, I guess but about 60-70% of them fit in either of those two slots.

I'm with you on the type of male character being less beefy, it's my number one reason I never felt like doing anything MxF related because people would always want to go for a kind of character that's just trying too hard to portray that they are a man in every sense of the word. It wouldn't hurt to just have someone one the average side, you know?

I've always had more of a thing to play as, or against, a character that's on the petite side but did allow for more mature looking character when it fitted the plot. So long as it didn't near the line of excessive proportions like massive boobs/ass/hips/etc. Personality wise, my personal favourite kinds are the ones with a backbone. The ones that can and will talk back to the other, who's ready to butt heads at any given time and is just an all round hardass to deal with. It made it a nice change of pace than the typical dom/sub nonsense.

I'm with you on the type of male character being less beefy, it's my number one reason I never felt like doing anything MxF related because people would always want to go for a kind of character that's just trying too hard to portray that they are a man in every sense of the word. It wouldn't hurt to just have someone one the average side, you know?

I've always had more of a thing to play as, or against, a character that's on the petite side but did allow for more mature looking character when it fitted the plot. So long as it didn't near the line of excessive proportions like massive boobs/ass/hips/etc. Personality wise, my personal favourite kinds are the ones with a backbone. The ones that can and will talk back to the other, who's ready to butt heads at any given time and is just an all round hardass to deal with. It made it a nice change of pace than the typical dom/sub nonsense.
I didn't even think to mention it, but you just reminded me of a common physical trait my characters usually have. For some reason, I prefer smaller breasts, most of the time no larger than a B cup. I think I've only had a character with bigger breasts twice, and one would try to hide them with bad posture and baggy shirts.

I didn't even think to mention it, but you just reminded me of a common physical trait my characters usually have. For some reason, I prefer smaller breasts, most of the time no larger than a B cup. I think I've only had a character with bigger breasts twice, and one would try to hide them with bad posture and baggy shirts.
The majority of characters I played as had breasts on the small size. It's pretty much one of my preferences also. Sad to say though that I used to come across plenty of people that viewed them as being 'too young' because of that.

I travel all over the female spectrum when it comes to playing characters. Weak, dependent women, to powerhouses who could order your death before their next sip of tea. I do generally enjoy the female being a bit older than the male, and yes, motherly in one sense or the next. Usually my characters have bodies on the curvier side, but some of them come with self-confidence issues which do allow my male counterparts to not perceive them as out of their league. I also love being "damaged goods," women with historically bad luck and a generally bad outlook on men. Then there is the physically strong. To my surprise, the request which has blown up biggest for me is that of a beautiful, but somewhat muscular and tall orc. It's very fun to have a character that could rip your arms off, but you could also smooch and cuddle and make her feel like she's protected in your arms.

My biggest obstacles when writing is that I feel that I need to generally somewhat like YC. Even if it's non-consensual, if I can understand his selfishness and desires, I'm on board. The overly cocky hero, the aloof wanderer, and the try hard are all very big turn offs. I don't like overly muscular men, though in some cases it's fine. I do like characters who have walls to climb, perhaps even doubt themselves and find inner strength and end up becoming badasses. I also have a deep love for the cool and collected kind, but show signs of affection and care. The way most of my flirty male partners have been portrayed does not come off flirty at all. I much prefer a nervous smile and breaking of eye contact to a big stupid grin and a cringe-worthy wink.

I travel all over the female spectrum when it comes to playing characters. Weak, dependent women, to powerhouses who could order your death before their next sip of tea. I do generally enjoy the female being a bit older than the male, and yes, motherly in one sense or the next. Usually my characters have bodies on the curvier side, but some of them come with self-confidence issues which do allow my male counterparts to not perceive them as out of their league. I also love being "damaged goods," women with historically bad luck and a generally bad outlook on men. Then there is the physically strong. To my surprise, the request which has blown up biggest for me is that of a beautiful, but somewhat muscular and tall orc. It's very fun to have a character that could rip your arms off, but you could also smooch and cuddle and make her feel like she's protected in your arms.

My biggest obstacles when writing is that I feel that I need to generally somewhat like YC. Even if it's non-consensual, if I can understand his selfishness and desires, I'm on board. The overly cocky hero, the aloof wanderer, and the try hard are all very big turn offs. I don't like overly muscular men, though in some cases it's fine. I do like characters who have walls to climb, perhaps even doubt themselves and find inner strength and end up becoming badasses. I also have a deep love for the cool and collected kind, but show signs of affection and care. The way most of my flirty male partners have been portrayed does not come off flirty at all. I much prefer a nervous smile and breaking of eye contact to a big stupid grin and a cringe-worthy wink.
I'm kind of into the goofy Casanova thing if it's done intentionally and well, but yeah there are a lot of people that struggle to make it charming

In terms of women I play, I think I'm starting to realize I like strong-willed women even if they aren't in charge. I love playing women that take no shit but have a soft-side. There's something about it that really is fun to play. I hate using anime terms for it but playing tsundere type characters, which somewhat falls under that is also pretty fun. Though I don't like going full anime with it, it's never that extreme, I just like playing a girl very much in denial how much she loves the person she's having feelings for. Characters that try to pull away, really just characters that are trouble for their partners.

In terms of characters I like playing against pure boys, admittedly. Maybe because none of my characters end up on the nice end of the spectrum entirely minus a few. So, someone that will say my characters are much better than they say they are.

When it comes to male characters I like to play wholesome guys on opposite ends of the physical spectrum. From cute effeminate men to towering Superman-looking himbos who are more confident in their pursuits. In generally I'd rather play nicer men than cruel assholes. Not that I can't, but sweeter fellas are easier for me to enjoy.

With female characters I tend to go all over the place, but usually end up playing easily flustered cute girls, and stone cold foxes with warm centers.

I love to play big buff himbos when I'm playing guys, who are warm bros. Like, the good wholesome type of dude you'd trust to drive you home after you drink a lot.

For female characters, I tend towards playing natural, warm caretakers. I'm also really good at "fuck off I'm the worst" exteriors but warm interiors for the right person/people.

As for *against*, I mean, all sorts, but my favorite guys are unrecognized/underdogs, that sort. Guys that you'd attribute the word 'hangdog' to. Or guys who have had a really rough life and just need someone to take care of them.

Playing as, the wholesome guy. While I end up playing a lot of dominants and more fit guys, that's because what I find partners prefer; if given free reign it'd either effeminate all men who're shy or playful and teasing and a little sly.

Playing opposite, I fall all over myself for the demure/shy-but-eager type.

Usually a romantic in some sense, usually male and masculine in a Renaissance kind of way. Articulate, intelligent, kind of broody. Sometimes more dark than other times. Always complex and has conflicting traits or various sides to themselves.

Any interesting character is interesting, but physically I am not into the "tonne of muscle", nor do I find the "red blooded hero" thing realistic all the time. I think some of it is also cultural as I wasn't raised with superman and stuff. Oh, also I won't provide with a size and cup... I don't know my characters' measurements unless she's a model. I do like bigger breasts but will play whatever is needed and often it won't be mentioned size wise. Apart from that, Victorian virgin is good, so is hitwoman.

The types I'm attracted to generally are intelligent, resilient, capable and independent; they don't wallflower and they don't starfish.

For writing as, I gravitate toward fantasy/supernatural races of too many kinds to list lol and in humans, I often default to POCs. The easiest males for me to play are either foundationally strong and silent (he's calculated, driven, domineering) or charming and chaotic (he's horndoggy, risk-takey, unpredictable). The female types I gravitate toward are siren fatales (she's sexy, sensual, serpentine) and firebrand adventurers (she's feisty, fun, fleet). Plot and partner preference determine which is used and I like my characters unique, so quirks are always added for razzle-dazzle.

For writing against, I adore when my cowriter's character has layers to peel and something interesting about them - say dark history, a secret, etc. Male characters that attract me the most are the sweethearts that can and will whoop ass. I like them emotionally in-touch and expressive, also masculine (athleticism, broadness, height, chisel). Any male character that makes my girl work for it is high-up too. With female characters, I like those that are free-spirited and headstrong, that truly carve their place in our plot. Give me a lady with fire in her eyes and the man I write will be sprung.

Last thing of note - switches are my all-time favorite. Hands down. Both to write as and with.

Damn, it's hard out here for a switch

Bad joke, bad joke. But yeah, the fluidity is great when you can find another one. Even if it's not exactly BDSM, it's fun to just have the guy get pegged then later get 'revenge' and that sorta thing

I tend to play dominant pretty boys that are mistaken for beautiful women. They are smart, scrappy and physically strong for their tiny size. They are usually demons, vampires, or a hybrid of a human and one of the two.

I like playing them against bigger guys that sub, particularly musicians.

I love the play the sort of gentle giant guys, or protective and passionate men, who also have a soft side. Unless they're meant to be something more cruel, but even then that cruelty usually doesn't reach significant others. Some side characters or enemies? Sure cut their hands off and bleed them dry. Your own precious? Cuddle him up and give him a box of chocolates. For top at least, for bottom I prefer a sweetie but have characters quite from both ends of the spectrum when it comes to personality and/or looks. Artistic types most often as I'm one myself. Feelsbasicman. Though I love to play all sorts of fantasy creatures from orcs, elves, demons, angels, selfmade races, you name it. That I've noticed seems rather uncommon here.

I used to play switch but things got so confusing so often that I just decided to better just avoid that confusion. My brain works better with at least somewhat clear roles I suppose.

As for females, I don't play them as much right now, but they vary from side to side as well from controlling and cold to sweet and caring.

I try really hard to mix up the types of characters I write if for no other reason than to avoid falling into formulas. If I have too many characters that are similar I find myself too tempted to reuse ideas. That said, I do really like playing passionate guys just because it gives me a lot to work with. I like twists in my characters, little details that most people will never know about them but it comes out during the story, like the brutal warrior who secretly loves to read and quietly buys books from every little village he visits, that kind of thing.

I love playing against really strong, really independent female characters who are sexually really quite submissive. Again, it's the sort of thing where no one would ever guess that about them but it becomes a thing in the story.

I play a lot of domineering types, both female and male. They're usually extremely psychologically fucked, often I like them a mixture of nature and nurture, born with a predisposition but shaped by events in their life, be they small that lead to a profound realization, or large that shake the foundations of a person. Most of mine tend to have a shown and hidden personality, on the outside they're very capable of functioning and succeeding, but on the inside they're wickedly twisted. Most of my girls are athletic, curvy but not voluptuous, they range from very statuesque with loooong legs, to short and peppy. They also range from more femanine to tomboyish. I tend to give the taller ones a more calm, regal, mommy vibe and the shorter ones a more energetic, cute, little sister feel. As cute as a little sister who is a terrible monster can be anyways. As for males, I tend to play them on the taller side, more thin, cut muscle than bulk, though I've been known to play a couple heavyweights as well. My males oscillate between clean shaven and civilized to rugged, more frontier types. I do also play fluid, no gender, or both gender types, but they all fall into that aesthetic, cruel in some way, confident personality, lithe, can be more agile than powerhouse bruisers, etc.

I will say, none of them are actually good people, they may have altruisitc points yes, they can't be cartoonish after all, but all my characters are morally bankrupt in some way shape or form, more than one usually. They're are not always outright villains, though I do like playing villains, but they're definitely people you don't want to sign a contract with without reading the fine print. I'd say they range from Neutral, to Chaotic Neutral, to Lawful Evil, to Neutral Evil, to Chaotic Evil. I haven't really found playing a light sided aligned character fun for quite some time unless they're to be subject to some type of corruption. Most of mine are heavily on the dominant side, there's only one type of character I'll play a submissive opposite of.

I like my partners characters to have a reason for how they are, be it good or bad. I don't tend to enjoy brick wall types, "I'm good because I'm good," or, "I'm evil because I'm evil," a personality is a must have for me so anyone that is always going to pick the same choices in any situation, "I always choose paragon/renegade," gets a little stale. I don't believe in true good or bad, every bad person has done a good thing in their lives and every good person has done bad things. That being said, I give anyone a shot to play with me, I am not horribly picky as long as you want to put up with my own characters and the way I write them.

I've realized recently that I also very rarely play submissive roles, to the point where I wonder if I can legitimately consider myself a switch. Usually, the only type of dynamic I can enthusiastically play submissive in is one where the dom is a no-nonsense sort of mentor (anyone in a position of power over my character). Even then, there'd likely be some bratting involved.

I play a variety, but I usually play the ones that are more like normal people or those who may have had experienced trauma. Guys with flaws that allow for good dialogue to be introduced. Not vulnerable, though not crazy strong neither. Like a survivor mentality.

But I also like to branch out and play a variety of NPC characters like a total dick who's intoxicated with power, or a greedy medieval master of coin. It honestly depends on the type of roleplay I'm getting involved in and what kind of character I'm brainstorming to play.

I've learned another type I'm good at playing.

Gremlins. I don't know how else to describe it. Mischievous little shits? The ones that always have a twinkle in their eyes. You know the ones.

I like playing mischievous little shits as well, though the type of mischief is often extremely serious or on the dangerous side -

James looked up at the Zeppelin soaring it's way through the air, a big, shark-like smile on his face, what was he planning one might wonder? Oh how readily apparent it became when he pulled the remote out of his jacket pocket, then flicked the little switch upon its face. A moment later the airship was partially engulfed at the rear end in flames from an explosion in the cargo bay. James had begun to hum, "Votre Toast" actually, from Carmen, while watching it, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet as if to an imaginary rhythm. There was another blast, then another, another. They were enough to be troublesome, to start fires, but not enough to bring the behemoth down, at least until said fires finally reached the balloon portion of it. The sky /shined/ that evening, a massive midnight sun to light the nearby towns and city. James just couldn't wipe the stupidly manic grin from himself for hours on end. Ordered to provide a distraction they said, make it something effective they said. One could easily assume by the amount of military that came absolutely galloping to the crash carnage that he had very well delivered. His phone rang and he slipped it out of his pocket, a loud voice yelling, growling, berating him from the other end, "I did tell you, be careful what you wish for....General..." he mused back, putting a lolipop in the corner of his mouth after. The phone was tossed to the side in short order, James didn't need it anymore. He didn't even really care to receive whatever payment he was due, "What a fun week!" he crooned, plopping his bowler upon his crown before slipping into the shadows once again.

Those types of gremlins.

Back
Top Bottom