Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Thread RPs. What's the Deal?

batty

𝖍𝖔𝖗𝖗𝖔𝖗 π–œπ–π–”π–—π–Š
HellooOooOOoo theydies and themtlemen,

I've been roleplaying on BMR and similar sites for quite some time now.
I've only every conducted my RPs in PMs.
I'm a bit self-conscious in my writing, only because my own anxiety creates this irrational fear of judgment. Something about anyone being able to read my stories has always made my heart pound for some reason.
(I KNOW that it's not like people are perusing RPs looking for things to tear apart. That's not what I'm afraid of at all. I'm just plagued with the vicious beast of Imposter Syndrome, so sometimes my brain convinces me that everything I'm putting out sucks even when it's some of my most creative writing.)

It's definitely something that I'm a LOT better about now.
This bogus fear used to prevent me from even taking on partners I was worried about not being good enough for, but now it's mostly just... Stage fright? For lack of a better term? I dunno.

This isn't just me venting about my woes I swear.
I guess what I'm really trying to ask is:

- Aside from public vs private, is there any real difference in the two methods?
- Is there any advantages to threads over PMs?
- Which do you prefer and why?
- Do people actually read other peoples' stories and keep up with them? Or is it more so just a way to keep a repertoire of samples?

I would love to hear some input from you guys on any or all of these questions. ^^
Please tell me if I'm just being a psycho and overreacting. ( I do that sometimes :3 )

Much love to you all! Take care of yourselves out there.
π–Œπ–π–”π–šπ–‘π–Žπ–Š β™‘

Aside from public vs private, is there any real difference in the two methods?
Nope!

Is there any advantages to threads over PMs?
For me, yes, but it's likely cause I am a mod. PMs get lost in my messy inbox, where threads are tracked separately.

Which do you prefer and why?
Threads, for the above reason and well, I like showing off. I enjoy people being able to read my threads, getting compliments, all that. Feels nice, ya know? Even if no one else reads them and it's all in my mind ^^;;;;

Do people actually read other peoples' stories and keep up with them? Or is it more so just a way to keep a repertoire of samples?
Probably a healthy mix of both. I know some people have read my writing with others from start to finish, others might just be curious.

On Blue Moon, the two methods seem rather interchangeable, due to the fact that the PM system is pretty decent on BM. On Elliquiy (or some other sites), the PM system is just the worst. They're disjointed one-off messages rather than the pseudo threads you see on Bluemoon.

As for advantages of threads, one is that I'm significantly less anxious about getting writing samples from a thread. Which basically comes right back to the 'public vs private'. Public threads allow me to see others writing before partnering up with them, and, it allows for others to see my writing before partnering up with me.

On Bluemoon, I prefer PMs. I don't like that the threads are truly public. As in, you don't need an account to see them. And, the PM system is great. On Elliquiy, the PMs are awful and the threads are hidden from people who aren't registered users, so I prefer threads there.

And yeah, I do read others' stories from time to time. I usually do it to figure out ways to become better at writing myself, lol. Let's just say that you're not the only one overly anxious the moment your replies goes out, hah. >.>

Here's something I can break down relatively easily as I have some general experience both as a long time user and staff member on the forums!

1. There used to be, before the forum upgrades threads were far more convenient, the PM system basically used to boil down to being a bunch of nested quotes replying to each other that also had a character limit on the amount - when you reached it you had to start a separate and new PM with that same user to continue that roleplay. Even when PMs were significantly worse in every way than threads, they still made up the vast majority of roleplays in the site and I believe Veks had to upgrade specifically because the old system was really bloating memory with the amount of messages that people had going on in private roleplays. I can only imagine the % of private to public has gone up even more since PMs became a competitive option in terms of quality.

2. There isn't, again you used to be unable to really keep track of PM roleplays effectively while you could for thread ones but these days you can sort PM roleplays in folders anyways, so it's a non-issue and just comes down to preference. It is truly the time in the site's life where there is next to no difference between the two.

3. I still prefer private roleplays, likely for the same reasons as you and 90% of our userbase - sexual roleplaying is still something that most of us consider private naturally and sharing writing is something else that people generally are bashful about. Plus it feels a bit special to have exclusive access to your stories, special club right?

4. I don't really, but that's because I feel the way to other's writing that I do to my own I feel as though I'm being voyeuristic looking in on their word and it makes me a little uncomfortable. Plus you know, I have more than enough of my own stuff to keep me occupied. That being said however I know others that do read through public stories and while I'm not sure anyone keeps 'up to date' with any stories that aren't their own it wouldn't surprise me if people had favorites that they checked on from time to time, either.

I have done both. Primarily on other sites and have no true preference on which way to go. Whatever makes my partner feel comfortable. Some people will read your roleplays, probably just browsing through. Or they may be reading to get an idea of how you write and what to expect if they ever contact you. The same goes for whenever someone messages you and you are able to read a thread RP they have to gauge what they may be like.

The only advantage, if you call it one, would be that more people have the chance to see your writing.

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Writing Privately for an extended period of time and thinking about making something public could be daunting. Most likely if someone is reading your story it will be a silent watcher that you won't even know is there reading it. Unless they leave a like or message you personally about it.

Nope!

For me, yes, but it's likely cause I am a mod. PMs get lost in my messy inbox, where threads are tracked separately.

Threads, for the above reason and well, I like showing off. I enjoy people being able to read my threads, getting compliments, all that. Feels nice, ya know? Even if no one else reads them and it's all in my mind ^^;;;;

Probably a healthy mix of both. I know some people have read my writing with others from start to finish, others might just be curious.

I can definitely see how it provide you an advantage with having a messy inbox, haha. I would probably opt for the same in your shoes because I lose message threads enough in my inbox without a surplus of extra communication.

I honestly think you may have just flipped my stance on it a bit. I had been looking at the eye of the public with a bit of a pessimistic view. Instead of seeing the opportunities for a praise (which I am a slut for in any regard) I was focusing more on the scary parts of it that we're all made up in my head.
Thanks for your input, Digi! β™‘

On Blue Moon, the two methods seem rather interchangeable, due to the fact that the PM system is pretty decent on BM. On Elliquiy (or some other sites), the PM system is just the worst. They're disjointed one-off messages rather than the pseudo threads you see on Bluemoon.

As for advantages of threads, one is that I'm significantly less anxious about getting writing samples from a thread. Which basically comes right back to the 'public vs private'. Public threads allow me to see others writing before partnering up with them, and, it allows for others to see my writing before partnering up with me.

On Bluemoon, I prefer PMs. I don't like that the threads are truly public. As in, you don't need an account to see them. And, the PM system is great. On Elliquiy, the PMs are awful and the threads are hidden from people who aren't registered users, so I prefer threads there.

And yeah, I do read others' stories from time to time. I usually do it to figure out ways to become better at writing myself, lol. Let's just say that you're not the only one overly anxious the moment your replies goes out, hah. >.>

Yeah a big part of the reason why I don't stray off of BMR much anymore is because of how kickass their PM "thread" system is compared to some other sites.

It DEFINITELY helps to know I'm not suffering alone, hahaha. I mean I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way, it's just nice to hear others admit it.

I can definitely see how it provide you an advantage with having a messy inbox, haha. I would probably opt for the same in your shoes because I lose message threads enough in my inbox without a surplus of extra communication.

I honestly think you may have just flipped my stance on it a bit. I had been looking at the eye of the public with a bit of a pessimistic view. Instead of seeing the opportunities for a praise (which I am a slut for in any regard) I was focusing more on the scary parts of it that we're all made up in my head.
Thanks for your input, Digi! β™‘
My pleasure lovely!

I don’t think you have anything to be worried about, I have never had anyone be mean. I don’t often get contacted, but when I do it’s a great feeling!

Here's something I can break down relatively easily as I have some general experience both as a long time user and staff member on the forums!

1. There used to be, before the forum upgrades threads were far more convenient, the PM system basically used to boil down to being a bunch of nested quotes replying to each other that also had a character limit on the amount - when you reached it you had to start a separate and new PM with that same user to continue that roleplay. Even when PMs were significantly worse in every way than threads, they still made up the vast majority of roleplays in the site and I believe Veks had to upgrade specifically because the old system was really bloating memory with the amount of messages that people had going on in private roleplays. I can only imagine the % of private to public has gone up even more since PMs became a competitive option in terms of quality.

2. There isn't, again you used to be unable to really keep track of PM roleplays effectively while you could for thread ones but these days you can sort PM roleplays in folders anyways, so it's a non-issue and just comes down to preference. It is truly the time in the site's life where there is next to no difference between the two.

3. I still prefer private roleplays, likely for the same reasons as you and 90% of our userbase - sexual roleplaying is still something that most of us consider private naturally and sharing writing is something else that people generally are bashful about. Plus it feels a bit special to have exclusive access to your stories, special club right?

4. I don't really, but that's because I feel the way to other's writing that I do to my own I feel as though I'm being voyeuristic looking in on their word and it makes me a little uncomfortable. Plus you know, I have more than enough of my own stuff to keep me occupied. That being said however I know others that do read through public stories and while I'm not sure anyone keeps 'up to date' with any stories that aren't their own it wouldn't surprise me if people had favorites that they checked on from time to time, either.

Character limits are my worst nightmare. I have such a vendetta against them. It's why I rarely RP on discord.

You hit the nail on the head. A lot of my fear stemmed from ThE iNtiMaCy of it all. Once I accepted some of my weirder kinks in recent years though, that aspect of it fell off a bit.

See, when I'm waiting on replies from my partners, I'm so tempted to go browse the stories in the threads. But, for the same reason as you, I don't want to feel intrusive.
I guess it may not be that deep, because they're willingly posting publicly, but still.

I have done both. Primarily on other sites and have no true preference on which way to go. Whatever makes my partner feel comfortable. Some people will read your roleplays, probably just browsing through. Or they may be reading to get an idea of how you write and what to expect if they ever contact you. The same goes for whenever someone messages you and you are able to read a thread RP they have to gauge what they may be like.

The only advantage, if you call it one, would be that more people have the chance to see your writing.

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Writing Privately for an extended period of time and thinking about making something public could be daunting. Most likely if someone is reading your story it will be a silent watcher that you won't even know is there reading it. Unless they leave a like or message you personally about it.

It's the silent watchers that freak me out! haha. What are they thinking?!?!?! I will never know!!!! Aaaaah!!!!!!!

It's the silent watchers that freak me out! haha. What are they thinking?!?!?! I will never know!!!! Aaaaah!!!!!!!
Honestly? Probably nothing lol, especially if they don't like it or it isn't for them. People rarely go out of their ways to say negative things on a roleplaying site to someone they don't even talk to.

At least in my experience on other sites. Sometimes you may get a message about how they like it, or why did it stop they enjoyed it, etc. The other silent people probably move on and forgot after a day.

Honestly? Probably nothing lol, especially if they don't like it or it isn't for them. People rarely go out of their ways to say negative things on a roleplaying site to someone they don't even talk to.

At least in my experience on other sites. Sometimes you may get a message about how they like it, or why did it stop they enjoyed it, etc. The other silent people probably move on and forgot after a day.

I they might forget about my story about an hour after reading it, but it kills me to be p e r c e i v e d hahaha.
I just hate to know that there was a chance for constructive criticism/feedback that slips through my fingers.

I do wonder if there could be a way to get critique/feedback a bit more reliably. I find that I have to be my own judge and juror, which can't possibly yield the best quality writing.

If your thread is in the β€œSemiprivate Roleplay” forum, guests shouldn’t be able to access them! It would just be registered, logged in users that have access to read them. :)

Oh! It seems that you're right, can't see it when I'm incognito! Might have to reconsider doing threads on BM then, heh. :)

I think this is where I was told to come give my input...I was very sleepy when I was told, in my defence.

I only really do thread RP's, with very, very few exceptions. (My only PM RP's are group ones, everything else is in threads). I don't think there is too much difference while actually writing between thread and PM, there is a difference in how wide the box to write in is, so each line is a shorter length in PM which isn't really important. The main thing is I like mine being public. I don't get much feedback but I'm proud of my writing for the most part, and I like the idea that maybe a few people out there are reading my roleplays. I do really hope that there are a few out there reading them, perhaps eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

I do favour those who do thread roleplays when looking for a partner, because it's much easier to see how they write. Some do like to give examples and samples but those I feel can be cherry picked, if the entire roleplay is out there then there is no hiding, I get to see your writing at your best and worst and that helps me choose.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that there is a tangible benefit if you're not staff or a supporter in that you cannot edit your PM's past 12 hours. Try it, if you don't have a blue, purple, pink, green or red name, you can't edit those fuckers if it's been at least 12 hours. Threads you can edit for as long as you like. That might turn out to be very relevant if you spot something you want to change, or if you decide to retcon some backstory.

Those are the only real reasons I have, but I do hope that if anybody feels like reading a story that they find one of mine! I have recommendations if you're looking for a certain theme!

Okay I'll stop plugging them now. Hope this wall of nonsensical text has a nugget of information or two.

I like showing off my writing so I usually opt to write in threads. I find it usually helps me attract more RP partners - plenty of people, I think, approach me after having read a post or two of mine.

Its easier to track and get notified of PMs for most people. I basically 'watch'/subscribe to every RP thread so I don't miss a notification but I'm not sure everyone does that. Most people I find are hesitant to write in threads because they're worried they might miss the posts.

I read other people's posts sporadically. I remember trying to bookmark an RP or two to actually read the whole thing from start to end but I never found the motivation.

There isn't much of a difference to me. When I started, I wanted to get my post count up (as if that useless number means anything).

I play mostly on private messages now, like Junior Wizard mentioned, before it was rather difficult to keep things in order as it was quote on quote on quote. Still did it anyway.

I have been complimented by onlookers when I have written in threads, but that no longer interests me. I'm taking my roleplaying experience to a more intimate level by expressing it privately. Hearing words of kindness and excitement from my partner privately gives me a sense of completion and achievement.

I saw a note about being unable to edit. I always have a conversation reserved for out of character where we can discuss things we would want changed should that ever arise.

I have never read someone else's thread. If a potential partner offers me a sample by referencing a thread they have participated in, I read a few posts and do what I was asked.

I am not particularly interested in anybody's choice stories. I'm here for mine and my partners'.

I think this is where I was told to come give my input...I was very sleepy when I was told, in my defence.

I only really do thread RP's, with very, very few exceptions. (My only PM RP's are group ones, everything else is in threads). I don't think there is too much difference while actually writing between thread and PM, there is a difference in how wide the box to write in is, so each line is a shorter length in PM which isn't really important. The main thing is I like mine being public. I don't get much feedback but I'm proud of my writing for the most part, and I like the idea that maybe a few people out there are reading my roleplays. I do really hope that there are a few out there reading them, perhaps eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

I do favour those who do thread roleplays when looking for a partner, because it's much easier to see how they write. Some do like to give examples and samples but those I feel can be cherry picked, if the entire roleplay is out there then there is no hiding, I get to see your writing at your best and worst and that helps me choose.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that there is a tangible benefit if you're not staff or a supporter in that you cannot edit your PM's past 12 hours. Try it, if you don't have a blue, purple, pink, green or red name, you can't edit those fuckers if it's been at least 12 hours. Threads you can edit for as long as you like. That might turn out to be very relevant if you spot something you want to change, or if you decide to retcon some backstory.

Those are the only real reasons I have, but I do hope that if anybody feels like reading a story that they find one of mine! I have recommendations if you're looking for a certain theme!

Okay I'll stop plugging them now. Hope this wall of nonsensical text has a nugget of information or two.

THE EDITING THING.
You might've just converted me, Staine.
I hate waking up the next morning and being forced to stare at all my typos that I can't touch. ;-;

Yeah, it's kinda rough if you can't edit, threads have unlimited access no matter who you are! Plus I secretly dream of the day when people will flock to my inbox to compliment my roleplays.

Not happened yet. Happened once or twice.

- Aside from public vs private, is there any real difference in the two methods?

I don't think there's any real difference. It's more of what people prefer.

I can see the work of others as they can see mine. No need to ask for a writing sample when you got a couple of threads readily available. Threads aren't really cluttered.

While I can do both threads and PMs, I actually favor threads. PMs tend to get cluttered after a while. You have the ooc thread and the roleplay thread and everything else. I'm sort of reminded of my email which is why I don't do email roleplays-things tend to get all over the place.

- Do people actually read other peoples' stories and keep up with them? Or is it more so just a way to keep a repertoire of samples?

I'm sure a lot of people do. I've read a couple of stories others have done and they were quite enjoyable and yeah, for samples too.

You're not overreacting at all. It's understandable.

For me, threads work far better. I view my watched list a lot, and the DMs can tend to get lost. This might just be a more common thing with staff-type members. I love getting random DMs, too, but it can bury the Rps in the process. I've tried to use the little... organizing system but. Meh. It's just not helpful to me personally.

So, yeah. Threads are my favorite. I've written in GoogleDocs, too-- though I know that's not in question-- but even those aren't as fun because I like the idea of writing for other people to see. I think that maybe us people that score higher on the exhibitionist scale or even voyeur types might just find it more appealing? When the views go up, it's exciting! And sometimes, when people see your writing at random, you might get a random DM letting you know they like it. Or maybe not. You might make a new rp partner just from them checking you out. But never have I ever experienced a time where someone was rude to me out of no where.

I think that sex in general can feel like a very taboo thing. People don't talk about it much, and it's supposed to be this private, unspoken act. But, this is an erotic site. So, I like to think that we're all here open-minded, enjoying the things we write in a supportive place with other writers. And for me, I'm trying to feel more confident about liking what I like, and writing how I write.

Aside from that. In terms of RP partners, sometimes it's far easier to see if you think you're going to work well with another person. They might be the best writer you've ever seen, but perhaps that's just too much, or too intimidating. It's cool to be able to get a look into it, which could even help you avoid ghosting, in theory. I'd rather people look up my random rps and figure out if it's really worth reaching out to me first. Saves us both some time.

I also like to just play with coding, images and banners because it's fun for me. I like to make my Rps look pretty because I like art and it makes me all the more happier to design stuff for my partner and I. And maybe if other people look in and see it, they'll feel inspired. I dunno. ^^; <3

I was working on a thing in the storytelling section and I know that I've had people comment about it. . . when I was actually updating it.

I suppose that a lot has already been said, but I will add one more thing here: that if I see an RP thread that I like, I will follow it (or watch it, as it were) and I will at some point lavish the authors with praise. Don't ever let others rain on your parade.

I will do both, according to the wants of my partner, but if I have a choice, I prefer to RP in threads. I like to use them as a portfolio so anyone who is considering RPing with me can check out my work. Obviously, your mileage may differ, especially if you get anxious at the thought of someone reading your stuff.

It's a good way to look at it. Once one gets past that anxiety you realise that even you think somebody doesn't like your writing, people aren't generally assholes, they won't just message you to tell you. At the very worst, they might not want to write with you after checking it out which sounds bad but it's preferable to finding out half a page into a roleplay that they just don't like how you write. It's not even about writing badly, some people just don't like some styles, with threads you can find out before you start.

I don't find threads any easier to organize personally, and I stick to an outside bookmark system anyways. Edit time for me is an annoyance and a deliberate choice, but generally doesn't affect me. What I post is what it is. If it's meh, more to do better.

Out of sheer comfort I kinda rather DM, but I have nothing against either way and partners tend to defer to DM. For the sake of samples I really should plant a flag in a few threads.

Back
Top Bottom