Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Star Wars - The Binding of Destiny [Tobie Peril & Impossible]

Tobie Peril

Super-Earth
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

"We will be approaching the surface of Jakku in a few moments," A voice spoke over the intercom in the quarters of Kylo Ren.

Kylo didn't respond to the voice. He sat in his chair, his dark, sleek helmet over his face. The helmet, as well as his uniform, was a gift from his master, Supreme Leader Snoke. He felt that it connected him to his past as well as his rage. It helped him channel his powers through the force, which he knew he would need to take advantage of on this particular mission. Snoke had sent him out on a sort-of hunting mission. All that he knew is that he was looking for a girl on Jakku, that she must be brought to the Supreme Leader alive, and that the force would guide him to her.

When Kylo tried to get more information from his master, Snoke did not respond with a direct answer. "You will learn the truth in time, my apprentice. I have become aware of a shift in the Force, and it is my duty to see that it is corrected. Now, go and play your part."

Kylo peered outside of his window as his command shuttle broke through the atmosphere. It was nearing dusk on Jakku. Soon it would be dark, which would only make his mission more difficult. he rose from his chair and dismissed himself from the chambers. He took his place near the platform, surrounded by the Knights of Ren. While these Knights had many roles in assisting Kylo, he did not acknowledge them as confidants or friends. When they landed, he stepped onto the lowered platform, wondering what this particular mission would bring him. He knew Jakku was a dirt planet, so he expected to see sand dunes for miles. He was amused to see the graveyard of battleships throughout the plains.

As he stepped onto the planet, he felt something in his chest. Kylo had experienced this feeling a few times in his life. It was an extension of the force, a sixth sense he had grown to trust. The force was calling him towards what appeared to be a crumbling AT-AT in the distance.

"Let's go," Kylo Ren ordered the other Knights of Ren. He moved through the sand with his hand against his lightsaber's hilt, ready for whatever surprise Jakku had waiting for him.

The days blended together, one into the other. Had it not been for the habitual scratches made on the wall of her AT-AT, Rey would have easily lost track of the time spent on the desolate planet. Her purpose for staying on Jakku kept her going day after day: waiting for her parents to return. They hadn't been spotted since dropping her into the care of the corrupt Crolute Plutt, but she couldn't help but hold out hope that she would see them again. It was something of a fairy tale she supposed, like the ones one of the old scavengers used to tell the children in Nima; she would be rescued from her bleak existence by the arrival of her parents. Unknown to her, Rey would be 'rescued' shortly.

As dusk began to fall, Rey climbed into her decrepit AT-AT to prepare for the evening. She'd just had her meager rations for the evening, a quarter portion and a swig of water, earned from the day's scavenge. She'd traded a handful of fuses for her dinner, but had held back a broken data pad. With some time and patience she hoped to fix it. It could fetch her some credits in Nima if she chose to trade with one of the merchants rather than Plutt. Or, she could use the device for her own benefit, which secretly thrilled her. Rey had so little in life to call her own that a broken, decades old data pad seemed a treat.

Rey was just about to slide into her makeshift bed when the hair on her arms rose on end. She froze, listening to the typical silence of her home. Although she couldn't hear anything that would trigger such a response, something within her knew that a threat was near. It was the same gut feeling she got that kept her from stepping on unstable footholds when scavenging or crossing paths with lecherous off-worlders in town. Rey had learned quick not to doubt the feeling and, instead of climbing into bed, she grabbed her staff.

Her eyes zeroed in on the hatch that served as her front door, waiting to see if the threat dared to enter.

With the power of the Force, Kylo and the Knights moved swiftly through the desert. In many ways, it was as if they were gliding on the coarse and irritating terrain. By the time they reached the fallen AT-AT, there was still some remaining light out in the day. Although Kylo didn't much care for dirt planets like this, he did admire the sunset. In a way, it felt nostalgic, as if he was seeing through a memory that wasn't his. It was like he was a young boy who didn't have much in the world but still had hope for something out there. He quickly dismissed the thought. Such things were a distraction from his mission.

"Wait here," he ordered to the Knights of Ren, who stood in a semi-circle around the AT-AT.

Kylo slowly broke away from the Knights, making sure each of his steps was deliberate and precise. He felt tempted to activate his lightsaber, but the thought quickly left his mind. The last thing he wanted was for her to run or fight back. The feeling in his chest had not gone away; in fact, it intensified as he grew closer to his goal. The Force was not specific as to why he should be on alert. Perhaps the girl had laid booby-traps within the sand. If she was so important that she must be taken to Snoke alive, nothing could be taken lightly.

Kylo then reached out and touched the hatch which would open the broken vessel. The second he made contact, there was a rush of energy that flowed through his body. It caught him off guard for a moment, which made him glad he had his mask over his face. The last thing he wanted to do was show any kind of weakness, especially in front of the Knights of Ren. This energy was very familiar to him. It brought him back to the days of his training; his initial training. He thought he had blocked out everything that had to do with his uncle, which made this feeling particularly unwelcome. It was similar to when he stood with other Jedi padawans.

Impossible, Kylo thought to himself. He was sure that all other Force users have been wiped from the galaxy. That was when things started to make sense to him. This was why Snoke sent him on this quest instead of a group of stormtroopers or that imbecile General Hux. Kylo realized he couldn't just forcefully break-in; he didn't know how strong with the Force the girl was.

"We mean you no harm," Kylo Ren finally said, his voice filtered through the mask.

Her heart thundered so loudly that she feared the unknown trespasser would hear it. It wasn't the first time Rey had defended her home from others who wished to take advantage of her belongings. Her reputation had grown throughout the years, making it so she faced less and less challengers over time. Her grip tightened on her weapon as she inched closer toward the hatch. Hand to hand combat was not her strength, but fighting with her staff was. Often she practiced in the evening, partly to find something to pass the time and partly to keep her muscles alert. Scavenging was hard work and provided muscle that her current diet did not truly support. Twirling about her staff for a short while each day kept her nimble and helped to stretch her well-used muscles from the day's scavenge.

The robotic voice beyond the hatch sent a shiver down her back. Was it a droid making her this uneasy? It would be laughable to be worried over an assailant when in fact it was a hunk of bolts. Despite the unusual voice, Rey had a sense that the owner was human. She supposed he was using a modulator of some type to disguise his true voice. Few on Jakku would have access to such tech and would have no reason to use it. Rey surmised that the trespasser must be an off-worlder.

"I'm supposed to believe that?" Rey questioned, her accented voice sounding affronted rather than frightened. "Do yourself a favor and leave." Her fingers flexed on the weapon, preparing in the case that the stranger burst in.

She didn't yet hear another voice, so Rey assumed the man was alone. She could take on one or two, but more than that would be difficult. Hopefully her thrashing of the speaker would frighten off the others, if there were any.

Kylo found the girl's response to be aggravating. He was used to those that were outside of the First Order to resist him. In most of those cases, they were Resistance rebels that held key information and battle strategies. With them, he could cull out the information and then dispose of them as he saw fit. However, this wasn't a feasible tactic in his current situation. Kylo could feel his anger slowly growing. He had been on Jakku for only a few minutes and he already wanted to leave, but he couldn't do so without the girl.

Kylo lifted his hand, channeling the Force, and pushed the hatch open. The Force Push was aggressive since he anticipated some pushback from the girl, but felt none. This caused the hatch to completely break away from the AT-AT and crashing into the sand. While he couldn't see much inside the machine, he could tell that it had been gutted out. He guessed that this was a makeshift home for the girl, which he found both innovative and pathetic.

His eyes focused on the girl, at least what he could see due to the dim light. He noticed that she was holding onto a staff, possibly a lightsaber. On instinct, he reached for his own lightsaber and turned it on. The red crossguard burst to life; its strong hue making more of the situation visible. He got a good look at the girl this time. It was clear by the determined look on her face that she was ready for a fight. He could also see the fear in her eyes, and he knew he could use that to his advantage.

"You are mistaken, girl," he told her. "It would be in your best interest to stand down right now. The more you cooperate, the easier things will be."

Rey jolted as the hatch to her AT-AT was ripped off. Tendrils of ice seemed to shoot through her as fear registered. Whoever the intruder was, he was apparently strong enough to yank the hatch off the structure. The fading light beyond the entrance to the AT-AT and the meager illumination from her solar lantern helped her to glimpse the stranger. The sight of him only made her stomach sink further. Rey was by no means short, but the stranger seemed to tower over her. If she were to climb out and stand beside him, she supposed the top of her head would only brush his sternum.

Her eyes flashed to the ignited saber. Never before had she seen such a terrible weapon, nor could she have ever imagined such a thing. Despite her fear Rey refused to back down. "What do you want?" she asked through grit teeth. She would eventually have to get out of the AT-AT and do as he asked, but she wanted to hear his request first. Whatever ability he had-magic?- to rip the hatch and ignite his flaming sword was more than she was capable of.

That she couldn't see the man's face was further unnerving. Rey took note of the stranger's helmet and dark clothing. The lack of earth tones in his clothing was enough of a hint to tell her that he was not a native of Jakku. Nearly everyone on the forsaken planet wore shades of brown in an effort to both blend into the landscape and seek refuge from the sun. The dark clothing he wore would be brutal under the unforgiving sun.

Kylo Ren took a calculated step into the AT-AT. He was still on guard, ready for any kind of attack. He knew he was his strongest when he was on the offensive in a battle; it was the best way to channel his fury in a fight. Still, he was perplexed that she didn't make any kind of move. He could tell that she was brave, but the fact that she still hadn't moved from her defensive position made it clear she had no intention of fighting him.

"I am here to take you away," he told her. He didn't care to mince words with the girl. He wasn't going to give away his advantage over her so easily. He looked down at her, studying her body. "This will be your only warning. If you resist, I have other methods of getting what I want."

His words were more than a threat. With his free hand, he closed it into a fist. He was using the Force to freeze the girl in place. He wanted to test just how strong with the Force she was. He slowly moved closer to her, expecting her to fight back and break free, but there was nothing. He was only using a slight amount of his power, just enough so that even a padawan could fight back, but she still stayed in place. when he was mere inches away from the girl, he opened her hand, releasing her body. This only made him more confused, feeding even more into his anger.

"Who are you," Kylo asked her.

It was all she could do to not jump back when the stranger entered her home. He appeared to be even larger close up, more so than what she’d initially noted. Size didn’t necessarily mean dominance in a fight, as Rey had taken down others who were twice her size. She was quick on her feet and agile; both traits served her well in a fight. Still, never before had she gone toe to toe with someone using a flaming sword.

His statement confused her as it made no sense for the stranger to want to take her away. Unless...Perhaps he was a slaver come to take new ‘merchandise’ off Jakku.

Why?” Rey snapped.

She got the impression that he was sizing her up, which told her that the stranger saw her as something of a threat. Rey made to adjust her staff when she realized that she could no longer move. Pure fear shone on her face as she realized the stranger must be doing this to her. Her eyes tracked his movement as he neared her, all the while her muscles screamed to move. It was with utter relief that she began to feel movement return to her body as the man gave up his mystical grip.

“I- I’m no one,” Rey answered, voice shaken. Now that she was able to move she quickly scrambled back to open up room between them. “How did you do that?!”

‘That’ didn’t need clarification.

Kylo Ren watched the girl move with a laser focus. Now that he had the upper hand, he was ready to take full control and take her away from this god-forsaken planet. He studied her words carefully. It was now clear that the girl had no knowledge of her true potential. He could sense that she had great raw potential with the Force, but was unable to properly channel it. The weapon in her hand was nothing more than a toy compared to his lightsaber. Under his mask, he grinned.

"You mean this," Kylo said, lifting his hand. he froze the girl in place again, taking advantage of his full power.

Using the Force, he slid the girl closer to him. He touched the girl's shoulder, a surprisingly smooth sensation. He then lightly brushed his hand against her breast, which he found firm and supple. He then moved his hand lower, touching the girl's ass. Even in this kind of compromising position, he sensed no resistance from the girl. He patted her ass before releasing her.

"This is a power that only a few can possess and even fewer can resist. And this is how I can take you with me. Or, you can come freely under your own autonomy." As he said this, he patted the girl's ass again.

Once more he used that awful ability against her. Rey was robbed of her ability to move as he drew her closer. She made to flinch away when he touched her but, to her extreme frustration, she was unable to move. Anger shone in her eyes to make up for her lack of movement. “Stop touching me!” Rey snapped once Kylo released his control over her. She nearly swiped at him with her staff but thougt better of it upon spying his weapon.

Beneath her anger lay fear. A woman on her own on Jakku faced the threat of being taken advantage of. Rey had built enough of a reputation that she hadn’t had much of an attempt made on her. Her frame was boyish, mostly due to her inadequate diet and lifestyle. The more she looked like a young man than a girl in town the better.

“You still haven’t told me why you want me to go with you.”

There was a temptation to touch the girl's body once more, but it fleeted away as Kylo's impatience grew. He glanced around the room, taking a survey of the girl's belongings. He noted the rations that were on a make-shift table. He glanced back at her, noticing how scrawny she appeared. There was something else that he noticed; something that wasn't clear from the start. The girl was alone. There was no family or friends around that appeared to come to her rescue. From there, he knew that he could mess with her further, and he didn't even need to take advantage of andy mind tricks.

"You have been summoned," Kylo said. "I have been sent to this abandoned planet by orders of the Supreme Leader to bring you in. We'll be able to take care of you much better than you can take care of yourself. Of course, if you resist, it only makes it more difficult for you."

Kylo raised his hand to her again, but it was only to tease her. This time, he wanted to watch her struggle.

“I’m waiting for someone.”

Rey cleared her throat at the rather pathetic excuse. “I mean, I can’t leave Jakku.” What if she left with the man only to miss the return of her parents? Plutt wouldn’t know where she’d gone to and wouldn’t be able to direct her parents on how to find her.

Belatedly Rey realized the man had mentioned the Supreme Leader. Jakku was enough of a wasteland that it wasn’t much use or interest to the New Republic. She’d heard whispers in Nima about the growing power of an alternate government but had cared little. What matter did it make to her who was in charge of the galaxy?

“I don’t even know who you are.”

He must have the wrong person. Rey hadn’t the faintest clue why the Supreme Leader of the First Order would have any interest in a desert rat such as herself.

Taking a moment to think, Kylo extinguished his lightsaber, tucking it back to his side. He raised his hands against his helmet, pressing the release and popping it open. He didn't enjoy showing his face to others. It was the helmet that truly made him feel like Kylo Ren. Without it, he appeared so much like his father, a man whose history he was ashamed of. As he lifted his helmet, he closed his eyes, adjusting to the small change of lighting. This was the first time he was grateful they arrived at dusk since it meant there would be little irritation on his eyes.

"I am Kylo Ren, apprentice to the Supreme Leader."

When he opened his eyes, he starred at the girl. Now using his own eyes, he studied her face. The fear was still very visible to him, but now he sensed something else. Longing, perhaps?

"I am someone like you," Kylo Ren told her in a level voice. "I was abandoned by the ones who I trusted, drowning in feelings of isolation and doubt. Then, I was rescued by the First Order and I was able to find what I was truly looking for. The Supreme Leader sent me here for a reason, and I believe that it's to rescue you from this place and reveal what your true destiny is."

Kylo extended his hand to her, with a determined look on his face.

Her eyes were instantly drawn to the extinguished weapon. It distracted her from the realization that he was making to remove his helmet. Rey wasn’t entirely sure what she expected to be beneath the helmet, but surely it wasn’t the face of a young man. Her brows furrowed in blatant confusion.
Rey took advantage of the closing of his eyes to gape at him openly.

His voice was pure velvet upon her ears. Rey suddenly understood why he opted for the helmet and modulator as his true voice and appearance did not strike her as threatening. The reveal prompted her to lower her staff for the first time since he forced his way into the AT-AT.

Rey’s gaze shifted from his soulful eyes to his offered hand. Hadn’t she wanted to belong for so long? To be wanted? Deep down she knew her parents would not return for her, despite it being her most ardent wish.

Carefully, as if the man’s hand would ignite like his saber, Rey took his hand.

“And what is that?”she asked, voice thick sounding. She hastily blinked past the tears that welled in her eyes. “What destiny?”

Hearing the girl's voice without the audio enhancement from his helmet felt inviting. The voice was both seductive and tough. As he watched the tears melt down her cheeks, he knew that he had her. He believed that, with time, the girl would follow her anywhere. This was an advantage he had over Snoke and all the others in the First Order. He had a few guesses as to why Snoke wanted him to fetch this girl, all for the advancement of his various schemes. However, if Kylo was able to get the girl to trust him above all else, there might be a shift in the force that even Snoke couldn't predict.

"Your destiny will be revealed as soon as we meet the Supreme leader," he told her, wrapping his hand around hers. "Your new life begins right here, right now, and I will guide you as much as I am able. I need you to trust me. Once you do that, everything will be made clear."

Kylo started moving towards the open hole where the hatch used to be, guiding the young girl in his grip. he peeked his head out, seeing that the Knights of Ren were still in position. For a brief moment, he had completely forgotten about their existence. This planet was so dead and quiet that it felt like those two were the only ones who were alive. He brought his free arm up to lips, speaking into a communicator built into his uniform.

"Bring me my ship," He spoke into the communicator with an authoritative voice. "She will be leaving with us. Now."

It was unthinkable, yet she trusted the stranger. No, he wasn’t a stranger any longer. Kylo Ren.

Rey still didn’t fully understand why he’d been sent to find her, let alone if going with him was an entirely good idea. But what was left for her on Jakku? Nothing. He wasn’t a slaver or a skin trader come to find cargo, that she knew for sure. That peculiar instinct of hers assured her that he was neither of those threats.

Rey followed Kylo out of her home- former home- and onto the sandy landscape. She wouldn’t miss Jakku with it’s burning sun and coarse sand. Yet a small part of her would miss the routine of her days. Rey didn’t particularly like scavenging, but she appreciated the pattern that made up her time on Jakku. She knew what to expect, day in and day out. Her new life was unknown which unnerved her greatly.

A gasp ripped from her throat at the sight of the other knights. Instinctively she tugged back on Kylo’s hand to get him to stop walking. “Who-“.The grotesque masks stared back at her.

"They are here to protect us," Kylo instructed her. To him, this was a half-truth. He had become accustomed to the Knights of Ren accompanied him on his various missions as both backup and intimidation. That said, he was very aware that their allegiance was to the Supreme Leader and not to him. He would not allow this girl to fall into the clutches of the distrustful Knights. "I'll stay by your side if it will make you comfortable."

The command shuttle approached them a few moments later. As the platform lowered, the Knights of Ren marched inside, leaving the two of them alone once again. He could feel a shift in the girl's mood. He squeezed her hand, attempting to be reassuring. He then faced her directly, taking advantage of the moment.

"Tell me one thing before we leave, who are you," he asked the girl. It was a question that was still nagging at him. He felt like he was missing something.

To protect them? From what?

Rey still kept her staff clutched in the hand that wasn’t gripping Kylo’s. She barely trusted him and most certainly did not extend that trust to the figures around them. Kylo’s assurance that he would remain beside her helped to alleviate some of her apprehension. The gut feeling deep within her told her that they were something of kindred spirits. Rey didn’t know why she felt this way, as her distrust of strangers was well known. Yet something in her told her that Kylo was different.

She watched with wonder as the shuttle approached. The scavenger within her longed to explore the transport both inside and out. It was clearly far newer with more advanced tech than anything on Jakku. With great reluctance Rey restrained herself.

The squeeze of her hand brought her back to the moment. Rey’s brow furrowed at the peculiar question. “I’m Rey,” she explained. “Just Rey.” No surname, no back story. Her inadequacy tinged her cheeks red with embarrassment.

Kylo pressed his hand against the girl's cheek. He was feeling something else now, something different than the Force. Maybe it was just more of his instinct. He tried to find words that would be reassuring to her, but his mind was blank. He lowered his hand before turning his attention back to the ship. "Come with me, Rey."

He escorted her up into the platform and into the ship. The artificial lighting of the ship helped Kylo feel more relaxed. He was finally leaving behind Jakku, a place that he had a surprising amount of disdain for. He guided Rey passed the Knights of Ren, who were sitting in place around the platform. The ship was gradually ascending from the ground, moving at the proper speed to leave the atmosphere.

They finally stopped when they reached Kylo's private quarters. He put down his mask and lightsaber on a platform near the door. He noticed that he had never let go of Rey's hand, feeling the calluses on her fingers. He slid his hand from hers and offered her a seat.

The voice of the ship's main pilot broke over the intercom. "Prepare for lightspeed. Our next stop will be Starkiller Base."

Normally a touch such as his hand on her face would earn him a swift kick. Instead, much to her own surprise, Rey allowed the gesture to occur. The brush of his hand against the tender skin of her cheek left a tingling sensation behind. She didn't question it as her mind was already working overtime as it was to process all that had occurred. Had it only been this evening that she was preparing for a typical night on Jakku? Somehow her evening meal and bedtime routine seemed lightyears away.

Rey had little chance to survey the transport as Kylo led her to his quarters. She had time, however, to take note that the knights did not follow them further into the ship. It was only once she was inside the chamber that she realized this room was his. Such a thing would be perhaps too intimate had Kylo not already barged into her living quarters. It was then that she realized he'd been holding her hand the entire time. She shyly retracted her hand to her lap once she'd taken the offered seat and placed her staff across her knees.

Her gaze was drawn to the viewport and the shrinking view of Jakku. She faintly recalled being in a ship before, for she was certain that her mother had not birthed her on Jakku. Her eyes watered slightly as the desert planet was left behind; the old Rey and her hopes would stay with it.

"What is that?" Rey asked, blinking hurriedly to hide the brief show of emotion. "Starkiller? It sounds ominous." An attempt at a laugh fell flat.

Kylo wondered how he should approach answering Rey's question, partially because there were many ways to describe Starkiller Base. It was one of the newer strategic bases for the First Order. He knew that eventually if everything was planning out as Snoke expected, it would also be a weapon. Starkiller base was larger than many planets and the tech inside of it was similar to the Death Star, something that was deeply connected to his family history. Starkiller Base was also where Kylo temporarily called home, acting as the supervisor to everything going on. He enforced all of Snoke's orders and acted as judge, jury, and executioner.

"It's a new outpost for the First Order," He told Rey. "It is there that I will take you to the Supreme Leader. For now, you are just my guest."

Kylo took a seat on the sofa across from Rey. He was feeling a bit uneasy staring at her without his mask on. He didn't have the security of hiding his expressions. With the use of the Force, he opened a cupboard from across the room that contained various foods and rations. These were not meant to be full meals but something that would nourish his body on extended missions. Kylo picked up the first thing he saw, a pear from the planet Naboo. While he had personally never been to the planet, he heard stories of their fruit and had them imported regularly to his quarters.

With the Force, he glided the pear over to the girl and dropped it, rather inelegantly, into her lap.

"A gift," he told her. "Unless you're already full from your rations." He smirked at her.

He hadn’t mentioned what planet the base was on, but Rey supposed that mattered little. Her knowledge of the galaxy was shaky at best, so it could be that she wouldn’t have recognized the name anyway. Her attention was captured by Kylo’s use of the Force and the gift of fruit upon her lap. She dropped her staff in order to eagerly take the pear into both hands. Her thumbs caressed the skin of the fruit as she gazed upon it with barely veiled excitement. Fresh fruit was one of the rarest of delicacies on Jakku. The desert planet allowed for little agriculture, and what was grown was found on the northern side of the planet. The last time she had fruit was nearly eight months ago when Lor San Tekka came to Nima to trade. The elderly man traded her a small Meiloorun in exchange for some trinkets she’d scavenged. If anything the trade might have been an act of charity. Lot San Tekka was a member of the Church of the Force, which Rey thought meant he was daft. Still, he was kind to her whenever he left his village to trade in Nima.

Rey was just about to bring the bounty to her lips when a thought struck her. “What if it wasn’t me who you were sent to find?” Rey asked. “I’m just a scavenger; I can’t imagine what your Supreme Leader would want with me.” This must all be a horrid mistake. What would happen when the error was realized? Despite her hunger she lowered the fruit to her lap.

Kylo Ren understood her doubts. When he accepted the mission, he expected meeting someone much grander than who Rey appeared to be. Still, he did not doubt the Force; it is what had always guided him through every challenge in his life. If this girl was the target he sought, he had no reason to doubt the Force or Snoke. He had already invested too much to have his faith be diverted. What was also true is that he couldn't deny the hidden power he can sense inside Rey. All of this had to mean that this nobody from Jakku had an important role to play.

"It was my instincts that guided me to you," Kylo told her. "Tell me, Rey, have you ever felt out of place? Like you were destined for something greater? Have you ever felt something inside you; as if something invisible was guiding you?"

A voice interrupted once more. "Prepare to jump into light-speed." Through a window, Kylo could see how the darkness of space transitioned into the brightness on the speed jump. It would be not long until they reached Starkiller Base.

Rey considered his questions carefully. She knew that struggling for existence on Jakku wasn’t the only thing that was meant for her. Jakku was just a chapter in her life story, one that had taken longer than she wished to close. Still, she had no illusions of grandness. She was, after all, just a scavenger.

Kylo’s inquiry over the feelings within her that often guided her from harm struck a chord. “I have felt a sort of guidance, I suppose,” she admitted. “I thought it was just my intuition. It has to be, right?” It never crossed her mind that her sense was anything remotely close to the Force. The Force was nothing but magic to her, featured in stories told by elderly traders and junkers. Lor San Tekka had once tried to explain it to her with little success.

The call of the pear couldn’t be ignored any further. Rey bit into the fruit and practically hummed with delight.

Kylo was amused as he saw Rey devouring the fruit. While giving it to her was an act of kindness on the surface, he needed to begin laying the seeds of dependency. In uncertain situations like this, trust was a currency that he didn't want to be stingy with.

"For most people, it's just that, intuition," Kylo began to explain. "Once or twice in someone's life, that intuition plays a part in their survival. But in others, that feeling makes itself known at various opportune moments, almost inconsistently. Or so it seems. That feeling is the Force."

Kylo knew that he was taking a gamble here. He was giving Rey a valuable clue as to possibly why she was being summoned. It's clear that she wasn't trained in the ways of the Jedi or the Sith, but that much raw potential could still cause trouble. To him, this was no longer about his mission for Snoke. This was about forging a bond with the scavenger girl from Jakku.

Back
Top Bottom