Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My D&D Retelling Thread

The Snuggubus

Banned
Banished
Trying something new; D&D inspires me to write, this is a writing website, so I'll share my adventures here, starting with the one that happened today;

5Fx92LE.png

Name: Koa
Race: Warforged
Class: Path of the Totem Warrior, Barbarian

As tense muscles relaxed, the battle over, the party allowed themselves to celebrate, to smile at each other, proud of having survived the battle against the horrid night creatures. Perhaps due to her lack of muscles, the group did not notice, but Koa, the mechanical, lanky structure amidst them, did not relax. During the battle, she was hit by a terrible Blight spell. Resilient, made to last, Koa felt nothing as the spell attempted to drain her non-existent moisture. However, she was not just a Warforged, a sentient machine made for war. She was Koa, the lost hermit, who wandered off from the battlefield in search of purpose, in search of something other than bloodshed. She was Koa, the structure that laid itself against the trunk of an oak tree for years, so long, in fact, that the vegetation began to accept her into its midst. And during that time, the wood that composed her body served as a host of roots, as a small plant made Koa its home, adorning the top of her head with a bright red flower.

Unlike Koa, the plant had moisture to drain from, and the Blight spell was particularly effective against it.

To Koa, the talk amongst the group was nothing but muffled noises, as she slowly took steps toward Scratch, their Tabaxi healer, her movements much less fluid, much more mechanical, as she knelt in front of her. "Heal it" Koa ordered. The plant was beyond dead, Scratch could do nothing. Koa knew this, yet she still asked. "Heal it", she asked again, to no response. Or perhaps there was a response, but the Warforged was past having the mental capacity to hear it. She kept walking, past her friends, down the stairs, out of the building, took a few steps into the grass outside, and fell to her knees. With all the care in the world, care one would not think the powerful construct was able to have considering the brutality of her attacks in the battle, she pulled the plant off of her head, desiccated roots dangling from it as she gently put it down in front of her.

Her hands reached for her smile mask, detaching it from her head. Her arm holding the mask went limp, humanly limp, revealing a skull-like sculpted metal and wood face. And then, a horrid, pained machine noise burst from her, alerting her companions of her pain.

"C'mon, don't be too upset. All flowers wilt and die, but then new flowers are born and bloom and we can get more flowers."

"Not like this one."

Warforged are by far my favorite D&D race ever.

This scene actually happened in your game? Gaw damn, this scene is tragic yet beautiful, and captures the focused spirit of warforged so well.

Warforged are by far my favorite D&D race ever.

This scene actually happened in your game? Gaw damn, this scene is tragic yet beautiful, and captures the focused spirit of warforged so well.
Yup, Koa is my Curse of Strahd character :3

For context; Koa has a +9 to Con saves, and she's Bear Totem, so Blight had its damage halved twice. She took only 4 damage from the spell.

Hearing the Call

Character: Toria, Blood Arcana Wizard
40E11CCD-3942-461F-930E-3A641BFC1FBF.png

*Original artwork, do not steal~

Toria shifted her weight from leg to leg, trying to keep her bare soles in as little contact with the scalding sand as possible. Most in the village got used to it, and, in fact, were encouraged to build a resistance to heat and walk barefoot, but Toria never really adapted, which her parents would blame on an excessive amount of time spent in tents, staring at the foreign writings she got from trading with outsiders.

She also got shoes from outsiders, but those were discovered and tossed in the fire.

"Toria and Amanda are on scouting duty. I believe this concludes your tasks for the day. Dismissed." The Cub Trainer finished, and, as soon as he did, Toria dashed into her tent, little trails of smoke coming from her heels, which drew a sigh and a shake of the head from him.

As soon as she was inside, she pulled out a pair of leather pieces, which she tied with thin strings of rope around her feet, making makeshift sandals, letting out a sigh of relief as the cold material entered contact with her soles. Ready to head out again, she peeked outside the tent to make sure the Cub Trainer was gone for her to leave.

Outside, Amanda and Gabriel were in a heated argument;
"Why do you get scout duty, sand-hair? I mean, I get it, I'm way more qualified for guard duty than you are, but they should give me the exciting tasks!"

"Because you're tiny."

"Oh, and how do you explain Toria getting it too?!" Gabriel nearly shouted, as if Toria being right behind him was not enough for her to hear.

"Because last time you were on scout duty you alarmed the whole village about an orc attack after seeing a goblin," Toria replied, with a smug grin, drawing laughter from Amanda.

"It was a particularly tall goblin, and he was far away, and the sun was in my eyes, and-" He kept going as Toria walked past him and headed toward the Crage, leaving the furious brother behind. Amanda followed soon after.

Amanda was Toria's only friend in the village, and mostly because out of the hobgoblins around her age, Amanda was the only one who didn't feel threatened by her presence. It was taught to cubs of the Leiro tribe that no one was to be underestimated, but Amanda knew that Toria had no ambitions that would put them against each other. She was fine with being a trader or a jeweler, a "soft one", even if it made her the equivalent of a second-class citizen in the eyes of her people. Amanda would sometimes push her to do the bare minimum, to not upset her ambitious parents, and to keep her brother's giant ego in check, whereas Toria's traded items and inventions helped Amanda, who was already nearly as tall as the Cub Trainer himself, get a headstart against the true competition.

Arriving at the crage, the cool stone that had hidden in the shade of the tall mountains made a nice place to rest for them both. Large and strong as she was, Amanda also needed breaks from the scorching sun and the constant competition and conflict. In truth, Toria believed that they all did, but nobody was able to voice it, lest they'd be reprimanded by those too deep in to reflect on their harmful ways.

"How come are we both tired, yet I'm the runt?" Toria teased.

"I'm not tired! I'm just uh, stopping because you are. This is a good scouting spot!" Amanda replied, breathing heavily, sitting down next to her. With a smile, Toria didn't reply, letting the silence be filled by their breathing, proving the girl wrong.

"...This is nice, isn't it?"
"..."
"The others don't ever do this. Are you sure you wanna be a warrior?" She let out, laid in the shade, eyes closed. She had to talk to someone. Maybe she wasn't the only one. Maybe she wasn't crazy or an outsider in her own tribe.

"Toria, no, don't start with that. I like being strong. And I am damn good at it." Amanda replied. "It's... the only thing I'm good at." She added, letting on a little more than she intended.

"It doesn't have to be. You think outsiders who make it to our village are weak? They're damn strong, and they are more than that. There was-"

"Don't come with this outsider talk again, Tor." She replied, dry.

Toria was trying to do a good thing, but it hurt to have her friend shrug her off like this, especially when she sounded so much like her father. It evoked the memory of him breaking a table with his fist. "I will not have a soft daughter, I will not!" he shouted, palm bleeding from wood splinters.

"Well maybe-" Toria sat up and opened her eyes, ready to shoot an acid retort, tears welling up in her eyes, but Amanda was nowhere to be seen. Neither was the sun. Unnaturally dark clouds covered the skies, twisting and not letting a single breach through. Toria got up, looking around. She was still in the Crage, near the mountains, but the sands had a tinge of crimson, the stones looked ashen and devoid of color, the wind howled, giving her chills. Her body begged for the warmth she once hated, the heat of the sun. In the distance, she saw a torchlight coming from a cave in the mountains, and, like a moth to a flame, was drawn to it.

Inside, to her dismay, Amanda laid dead in the center of the stone room, blood still fresh, clutching a black-bound book in one of her hands. Toria, in disbelief, stepped closer and kneeled next to her body, her trembling hands moving the book aside to look over her, tears falling over her. Wounds, clearly done by some sort of blade, covered her entire body.

With all her attention focused on her deceased friend, she failed to notice as black-robed figures formed a circle around her, all facing her, the center.

One by one, they removed their hoods, revealing their faces. They were of different races, ages, and genders, but all of them had something in common; a scar that started in their left eye, trailing down to their cheeks, forming an unknown symbol. Toria watched in horror as the last robed figure, the one in front of her, removed her hood; it was Toria, with the same scar as the others. Pulling out a runed dagger, the other Toria grabbed her throat and squeezed it with unnatural strength with one hand, the other leading the dagger closer and closer to her retina, ready to carve the symbol.

Toria woke up with a gasp. Amanda's attention was drawn to her, and she hurried to check on her friend.

" T-Toria! What were you thinking, falling asleep on duty like this!?" She scolded.
The colors were back to normal. The harsh winds had been replaced by the familiar scorching heat.

Toria, still shaking, held her urge to hug her friend, glad that she was alive. "I'm... sorry, I just, I was tired, I guess."

"I tried to wake you up, but you were just... limp. Don't scare me like that!" She shouted, drawing a small smile from Toria. Amanda cared about her. "c-Come on, let's head back, it's getting late."

Toria looked up. Indeed, the sun was setting, despite it having felt like only a few minutes. "Right." Then her eyes were drawn to the cave entrance she had dreamt of.
"You... go on ahead. I have to check something."

A Lesson

Character: Zaren, Battle Master Fighter Tiefling

Onlookers would see through the bars nothing but a demon, caged for everyone else's safety. Truth was, he could burn and break the bars whenever he wanted, but there was no point. He would just be caught again. This cage was freedom. It kept others away from him. Eventually, he’d earn enough respect in the pits to earn true freedom. He would fight until he did not have to fight anymore.

“Alright, Zaren, listen up; your next opponent is... You really don’t care, do you? Well, so long as you keep winnin’.” The bald man walked away. The cage was opened. He was led in cuffs to the pit, then his cuffs were unlocked. The gates closed behind him. The gates opened in front of him. One look at the man, from someone who saw past his demonic features, would reveal how his spirit had been broken, not with the violence of others, but with his own.
He stepped forward. The crowd roared as the announcer went over his own, equally repetitive routine, Zaren often ignored him. But as the opposite gates opened, he was taken aback, for once. A kid. Could not be older than 17. Carrying a sword almost larger than him, ornate and made of expensive metal, wearing the colors of nobles. He was there of his own volition, and that angered Zaren.

“What is the meaning of this? Pick up a weapon, demon spawn, I came for a battle, not for slaughter!” The boy shouted from across the arena. Zaren did not respond. “This is my last warning!”, he shouted again, but the man on the other side wouldn’t budge. His fists were clenched. This kid needed to learn a lesson, and it would take all of his willpower to not teach it with violence.

With a brave warcry, the boy, dragging his sword across the sand, charged towards his opponent, lifting a curtain of dust and obscuring the fight from one side of the crowd’s seats, into a violent swing towards the tiefling, meeting nothing but the air in its arc as the man stepped back. The battle continued with wild sword swings and passive dodges from the demon. The scene had the stereotypes reversed as the supposedly inherently evil creature refused to hit the ire-fueled young noble back.
He could not dodge forever, and he knew that. Eventually, he would aim a swing well, and his life would be wasted. All because some ignorant noble child wanted to prove their worth, to show others how strong he was. The sword came down on him. He parried it with his own hand, and as it trembled, as the kid tried to force it down on his arm, as his blood dripped down and sunk into the sand, Zaren channeled all his rage, all his anger against not just this fight, but the altar of senseless bloodshed he was forced to dance in, into one punch. His fist glowed with white-hot flames as it came down.

The sword shattered into pieces, scattered on the ground. The rest of the blade still in Zaren’s hand, the pommel shaking in the boy’s. They traded stares, communicating more than any words could. But as the noble tried to get the words out of his mouth, as he tried to surrender and hopefully save his own life, the concept of honor no longer as important in that moment, the demon spoke first, wanting to burn this moment into his memory. You can cleanse yourself from a loss with training and other victories. But you cannot cleanse yourself of a shameful victory.

“I forfeit.”

And with that, Zaren walked away.

Character 1: Steele, Warforged Kensei Monk
med.png Suffering from amnesia, the warforged found his blade and recovered his dark past, of being an assassin, made as an agent of chaos. This happened shortly after our party Cleric tragically died in the same mission. Coded red.

Character 2: Kairi, Kalashtar Soulknife Rogue
download20210105223650.png Non-binary local edgelord. Killed for a living, now settling more into adventuring. Used to only care about their master, now deeply caring about the party. Big tsundere. Recently saved Steele from near death. Coded purple.

Kairi entered Steele's room as he was finishing his attunement with his blade.

"So."

"I recovered my blade. I now know my purpose."

"..."

"I am an agent of chaos. I am destined to murder and create confusion through blood."

"I am the last person who is going to judge you for murder, Steele. But is this what you want to do, or is it something someone else wants from you?"

"..."

"You do not have to answer this to me. You have to answer this to yourself."

"..."

"Did you... feel anything, when Benny died?"

"I felt pity. But death comes to all. And his was his own foolish choice."

"We all made a choice there. None of us spoke up."

"You are right. But he was the one who put himself in danger to protect the stone."

"And how do you feel about that?"

"I-"

"I'm sorry, Steele, I asked you a question, but I want the answer to something else. I want to know if what I saved down there today was a person."

"I... I do not know."

"... Did I lose two friends today?"

"..."

"Good night, Steele."

Back
Top Bottom