Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Roadside Assistance 24/7 (Spyder and Ruby)

Rubyliday

Supporter
Supporter
Ruby kicked the tire of her car, cursing at it. She couldn't say that it hadn't given her fair warning, the check engine light had been on for about two weeks now. But nonetheless it had still been a surprise when all the dashboard lights had come on and then the car crapped out. But all hope had been lost when she had popped the hood and smoke came pouring out. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't decided to take that short cut, didn't horror movies start out like this? She peered around the car hood, not sure if she would be happy to see a car coming or not. And to top it all of, she got no service on her cell in this area either. So much for that VERIZON guy. She mocked him as she pulled her brown hair up into a pony tail, leaning into the engine like she knew what she was doing.

Seig drove down the dark freeway roads, attempting to reach his destination as quickly as possible. As it was, he was barely going to make it to the preparation meeting tomorrow morning. He shivered as the thoughts of his fiances glare ran through his mind, pushing his foot into the gas pedal just a little harder. It was a fairly warm evening, and Seig had cracked the window just slightly to allow a bit of an airflow, which jostled his short silver hair around a bit.

As pair of red brake lights came into view, and Seig adjusted his glasses just to make sure it wasn't some kind of illusion. Even though the man was in a hurry, he had the nature of a good Samaritan, and could not refuse anyone in need of help. Slowing down to a crawl, Seig pulled in behind the stopped vehicle and unbuckled himself, stepping out of his car.

Circling around to the front of the vehicle, he leaned against the side and peeked under the hood. It was hard to see the persons face in the dark, though the headlights of the car traced the form of a female. Clearing his throat, Seig spoke up. "Excuse me, miss. Are you having some troubles?"

Ruby let out what she could only describe as a squeak as she jumped back from the car, barely missing hitting her head. Hand on heart she turned to the man that had voiced the question. She squinted, moving to the side and out of the path of the lights, wiping the back of her hand over her brow.
"As a matter a fact I am." She let out a nervous chuckle and stepped forward, the mans face coming into view. "What gave it away?" It was dark out but the shine of the lights illuminated the space between them. He was handsome, killers weren't handsome, right?

Let's be honest. Seig was nothing like a mechanic. His face was buried in too many books and technical manuals for that. It was his guess that this woman right here know more about it all than he did. But still, he felt compelled to help her as best he could. Chivalry was not completely dead, it seemed.

"Well, not many people I know have an interest of having their heads under a car hood in the dark hours morning." He said, chuckling just a bit. "So I just assumed it was car troubles. I'll admit I don't have much knowledge in vehicles, but is there anything I could help you with?"

Ruby let out another chuckle, a nervous habit of hers.
"Well then I guess that makes the two of us." She pulled out her phone which was searching for service and decided at that moment not to give her the time. "Eh, do you know what time it is?" Never having warn a watch in her lift, she noticed that her rescuer wore one. She would have wondered if anymore could go wrong, but right now karma was not on her side. She let out a huff and rested a jean covered hip against her car.

Bringing his right wrist to his face, Seig pushed the button on the side that lit up the timepiece. The numbers flashed digitally into his heads, and he quickly responded to her question. "Looks like it's 1 AM. I noticed you have a cell phone, but haven't bothered using it, though. Something wrong with it?"

Seig had a feeling he knew what the answer was going to be, and slightly cursed under his breath. Having been in such a hurry, he had actually left his phone at home. As long as he made it there on time, he should be in the clear, though.

Ruby scowled at her phone, feeling like trowing it but know better then to.
"Yeah, no service." To stress her point she held the phone up, really fighting the urge to throw it. She let out a sign, reluctant to ask what needed to be asked. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it again, wondering if there was any other way to get out of this situation. There really wasn't.
"It seems you are heading the same way that I was, would it be a trouble to drop me off in the nearest town?" Behind her Ruby crossed her fingers, she really didn't want to walk.

He adjusted his glasses, and looked over the broken down car. It would be too much to ask for the woman to walk all the way into town, especially on her own. Who knew what kind of people were lurking in the shadows at these times? Even Seig might have seen somewhat suspicious, which actually caused him a bit of surprise when she asked for a ride.

"I can do at least that much." He replied, giving her a small smile. It was true, though. The fastest way to get the problem resolved would be to get her to some nearby help. "Lock up your car and climb in. I'll take you to town."

With this, Seig turned and made his way back into his vehicle, climbing into the driver's seat once again. His finger ran over the power locks and pressed the release, allowing the woman entry into his car once she was ready.

Ruby let out a sigh of relief, moving around her car to grab her overnight bag. She had been traveling to visit a friend, only for a few days. It seemed that fate had other plans for her, longer plans. She leaned over the front seat, flipping off the lights and taking her keys from the ignition. In the back of her mind she hoped that the nearest town wasn't far. She shut the hood, locked the doors and jogged over to the mans car. She slid in, her bag on her lap.
"I really appreciate this... Oh I'm sorry I didn't get your name." She extended a hand, smile on her face.

Seig smiled in response and shook her hand. "I'm Seig Karcher. Nice to meet you. And you are...?"

He waited for her response, then put the vehicle into gear. Seig pulled off the side of the road and continued his way down the freeway towards town. Only the hum of his engine broke the dead silence in the car, as Seig had neglected to turn his radio on. Far too focused on the traveling he had been involved in.

"So..." He said, attempting to break the ice. "Where were you off to so late at night?"

"Ruby Adams" Firm grip. She turned back to look at the road, the silence stretching before he spoke up. She was thankful.
"Um I was actually on my way to visit a friend. Finally got some time off of work to actually make the trip." She mentally kicked herself, she always said to much. "How about you?" She turned to look at him, taking in his profile.

Seig paused for just a moment, attempting to figure out how to properly approach the question. After all, his marriage was still a secret in general, as it would bring together two powerhouse companies. The last name, of course, had been a false one. Chances couldn't be taken at this point in the game.

"I'm heading there for an important business meeting." He replied simply. In truth, that's basically all it was. Business. Though he had known the woman he was to marry for a number of years, she had been more like a friend than a lover. General principals had even prevented any kind of affectionate act, so the pair hadn't even kissed yet. But Seig stood strong to his morals, and no other woman would do.

Seig shook his head. Once again, his mind had been wandering.

"Oh so all business, no pleasure?" She turned her body to face his a little more, her fingers playing with the zipper of her bag. He was handsome and Ruby couldn't help but notice the glasses. She was a sucker for glasses. She thought it cold be worse and the thought crossed her mind that she wouldn't mind if he tried to... Her eyes went wide and she turned to face the window, rolling it down a little. What was wrong with her? She glanced at Seig from the corner of her eye. No she really wouldn't mind at all.

Seig couldn't help but notice Ruby fumbling with her bag, either out of nervousness or something else that was bothering her. She must really have thought him to be some kind of rapist, or else such anxiety would not be present. Sighing just a bit to himself, he made sure to keep both hands on the steering wheel and his eyes forward, so as not to cause her discomfort.

In the distance, the lights of the city began to break over the horizon. Soon enough, the ordeal would be over, and he would be back on his way. And with no time to spare, at that. But something nagged at him in the back of his mind. Was there something about this woman that was bothering him? He wasn't afraid of her, or thought ill of her, so what was this feeling?

Ruby say the lights and let out a sigh on relief, she was so ready for this whole ordeal to be over with. She turned back to Seig, noticing that his knuckles were starting to turn white. But she shifted her gaze from his hands to his face.
"I cant tell you how much I appreciate this. It would have been a pretty long walk." It had been a short drive but if she would have waked it probably would have taken her hours. She pulled out her phone, frowning when she still didn't have service. She really hated the VERIZON mascot. She looked out the window then, eyes searching for a service station. Would they even be open now?

As the pair pulled into town, reality struck home. It was 1 AM, and Seig doubted there were any mechanics awake at that time of night. Driving past the first set of businesses, a single building caught his eye. A motel, it's 'Vacancy' sign lit up in neon red. Obviously, Seig had to be on his way, and he couldn't wait around until morning to help Ruby further.

Parking in the motel's lot, Seig hoped it wouldn't seem like he was attempting something. He smiled at her, and said, "Seeing as how late it is, you'll probably have to wait until morning to find a mechanic. But if you stay here for the night, you should be fine until then." The man pulled out his wallet, and shoved three $100 bills in the woman's hand. "There, that should cover the expenses. Please don't think me too forward, but I'm just trying to help you however I can."

Ruby eyed the motel as they pulled in and she felt panic well up in her chest. But what he did next shocked her. She looked down at the money, then back up at the motel.
"No no absolutely not!" She held out the money to him, shifting her body so that her legs hung out of the car. One, it was against her nature to accept much of anything from anyone, let alone a stranger. Two, looking at the motel, the money in her hand could have paid for two rooms. She voiced the latter.

Suddenly realizing what it looked like, Seig turned a beat red and just leaned back over his steering wheel. As Ruby exited his vehicle, he turned the key on it once more. It was time to leave all of this behind.

Rrrrrrrrrkachak kachak kachak kachak....

No, no! Not now! He thought to himself, the car deciding to sputter for a while before dying completely. In just a matter of minutes, his entire evening was shot. He had no cell phone, and even with a land line he hadn't memorized any of his contacts. Damn you, digital age!

With a heavy sigh, Seig climbed out of his car and smiled embarrassingly at the woman. "Looks like this will be my place of residence for the night as well. Hope they have two rooms available." His hand ran roughly through his silver hair, like a nervous twitch. Why was he so embarrassed about the situation? Not like they were staying in the same room.

Ruby couldn't help but think that this had something to do with her being here. She felt like a bad luck charm. She closed the car door behind her and pushed the money back at him.
"I don't know if you would be in this situation if you had helped me or not, but I can not accept your money." She closed her eyes and bit her bottom lip. She really was a bad luck charm!

"N...n...no no. It's alright. You'll need the extra to fix your vehicle in the morning. Besides, I have plenty more. See?" With those words, Seig opened his wallet and immediately regretted flashing so much cash. Literally a stack of hundred dollar bills were crammed in the folds, counting out to roughly $3000. And this was just his spending cash, not including credit cards.

Closing his wallet quickly, he shoved it in his back pocket and made his way towards the building. "Come on, let's get registered."

Ruby stared after him, dumbfounded. She had never seen so much money, let alone in cash. And speaking of cash, she still held the money in her hand. She frowned and hurried after him.
"I really cant take this." Her words were lost on his as she entered the motel office. The place wasn't bad, from what she could see on the outside. The entire building was shaped like U, the office separate from the rest. There were two levels and it wasn't missing an rails and the paint wasn't chipped. For all the motels Ruby had been in, this was one of the best. Mind off the motel, she entered the office after Seig, money in a ball in her fist.

Seig was too distracted to hear her protests, and beelined for the front desk. Leaning against the wooden framing, he smiled at the receptionist. "Excuse me, I need a room."

"Alright, sir. Will a queen suit you?" Another twinge sounded in the back of his mind.

He blinked at the woman for only a second, then turned to look at Ruby, then back again. Once again, he was a little slow on the upkeep. "Wai,t no! I mean two! Two rooms. Individual. As in not. Together. At. All."

Nice recovery, Seig.

The woman behind the counter chuckled and put a couple of keys on the desk, smiling at the pair. "Two rooms, separated. I will let you know, though, that the rooms are connected by a pair of inner doors. But if you don't want company, just make sure they're locked."

Seig nodded and paid for their rooms, completely ignoring that Ruby still had the cash in her hand. He dropped her key so it looped around her thumb, then made his way down the hall towards his own room. This was all too much for him to take in.

Ruby was no sooner in the office that she was given a key and left looking after Seig once again. She gave a lopsided smile to the woman behind the desk who had a knowing smile. She exited the office and gave one last look to the woman. What the heck did that smile mean? She jogged after him, glancing at the key in her hand. Room 013. She stopped in her tracks then looked towards the heaven. This had to be some kind of joke. She shoved the key and the money into her pants pocket and she set out to find her room and the man that was moving like a demon was on his tail.

Finally arriving at Room 012, Seig jammed his key into the lock and opened it with a 'click'. He paused momentarily, turning to look over his shoulder at Ruby. She had finally caught up to him, fast little devil he was. For some reason, he just felt it necessary to distance himself from the woman he had saved. Was it because he didn't want the wrong idea to occur with the locals? Or did it have something to do with the twinge he kept feeling?

Shrugging, Seig smiled and said "Goodnight.", before shutting the door behind him. Finally alone in his room, he plopped on his back upon the soft bed waiting there for him. It was a hell of a night, with a bad morning to follow. Who knew exactly what the repercussions of his lateness would be?

"What the.." Ruby stood in front of Seig's door, practically having it closed in her face. She lifted a hand to knock on the door but thought better and went into her own room, dropping her bag on the floor as the door clicked shut behind her. She sat on the bed, trying to make heads or tails of the man in the next room. But for some reason all her mind could think about was him on a bed. She stood, shaking her head as she made her into the bathroom. Perhaps it should be a cold shower.

Back
Top Bottom