Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favourite type of Apocalyptic setting

Chalarm

Galactic Story Teller
It's probably because of my recent playthrough of Frostpunk but I've been thinking of different and creative apocalyptic events. They are always an interesting setting for plots and stories where it's easy to create drama in the tense backdrop of societal calamity. Makes them a favourite setting of movies and games.

I usually consider an apocalytic scenario would be any situation that would cause the downfall of modern society, so it could range from just the global collapse of government to full scale end of the world situation. However there are such a range of what can be classified as apocalyptic scenarios that I'm curious of what some of your favourite settings are for the end of world as we know it, whether it's an ice age or zombie outbreak or even an alien invasion. Bonus points if it's a unique concept.

My own would probably be environmental apocalypses like ice ages or global flooding, something that allows you to RP how the structure of communities and people's ideals would change due to the changing ecosystem and environment.

Last edited:
My favorite, hands down, is the post nuclear war post apocalypse. But only if it’s utterly gonzo; give me Gamma World or Thundarr the Barbarian, with crazy mutants and lost technology and robot-haunted Cities of the Ancients!

I'll take zombie, epidemics, post nuke... though these days frankly I've had enough of the disease

Good old post-apocalypse settings. While I like the concept a lot I sadly can't stand most popular types. Your typical mad-max gang & violence world feels a bit too ... violent and primitive to me and zombie apocalypses similarly feel like just a cheap excuse for remorseless violence - which is the whole idea of course, but I was never a fan of this breed of badassery.

What makes the concept interesting for me isn't the excuse for violence but the mystery behind it, paired with the ability to explore the human psyche. The later is oftentimes attempted - I feel originally that was a big draw of fallout for example, but personally I simply don't subscribe to this cheap mindset and especially when the story tries to be deep and psychological it just feels unrealistic to me. It's just personal taste and no objective critique, of course, but I simply don't believe we degrade into violent cavemen monsters this easily. That's cold war pessimism that, as I see it, only remained in our public consciousness because of the influential settings and stories it birthed.

After this little rant, I love both a lovecraftian take on the end of human society - and having it happen in a high fantasy world. Both is something you rarely if ever see, but for the former, I can point you in the direction of A Colder War. It's a relatively quick read but still pretty impactful, at least to me.

After this little rant, I love both a lovecraftian take on the end of human society - and having it happen in a high fantasy world. Both is something you rarely if ever see, but for the former, I can point you in the direction of A Colder War. It's a relatively quick read but still pretty impactful, at least to me.

Such an amazing story. I get the chills every time I read it.

Good old post-apocalypse settings. While I like the concept a lot I sadly can't stand most popular types. Your typical mad-max gang & violence world feels a bit too ... violent and primitive to me and zombie apocalypses similarly feel like just a cheap excuse for remorseless violence - which is the whole idea of course, but I was never a fan of this breed of badassery.
Lol. The violence is EXACTLY why I like these settings.

Wasteland apocalypse is definitely my favorite. Even a bit futuristic before the fall. How it got there... can be ambiguous. I feel the Fallout thing is a bit overdone nowadays though. Post nuclear war was very popular for a time, and it's just kinda overdone now. Zombie apocalypse is a fuckin' dead horse to beat. Leave it alone!

I prefer a EMP causing one rather than say something like Ice Age when I've done Apocalyptic scenarios. When watching related movies, I'm a fan of both causing one.

Well I don't know if I can pick a favorite I do have some new ideas thanks to your posts!

So honestly my favorite type of apocalypse is a Zombie Setting, but not like walking dead as I feel the zombies are to generic and slow. But more like Resident Evil where it is a fight to survive, its nitty, gritty and bloody type thing. I also have a world where its that combined with Marvel to where certain heroes and villians once they got bit. They still had some powers or abilities and it makes them harder to survive.

My favourite apocalyptic setting would be set in pre-modern times. I love the Roman era, medieval era (viking era), et cetera. I really like modern and futuristic sci-fi settings too with apocalyptic themes. My favourite reasoning behind the theme is zombies or other non-human creatures being similarly resurrected.

I really like modern and futuristic sci-fi settings too with apocalyptic themes.
Big yes on futuristic apocalyptic themes! I adore the dereliction of societies that reached scientific/technological heights and toppled.

Natural-disaster themes interest me too, à la The Day After Tomorrow.

I love the idea of an ice age induced apocalypse. Or the opposite, with global warming causing massive flooding and environmental changes.

Back
Top Bottom