Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Wordy Wednesdays

TreesCompany

Meteorite
Ok, so full disclosure, I'm really jot good at continuing things like this, but if you're the kind of degenerate who's into "lol, random XD" humor like me, then here's an unholy abomination from the depths of my sleep-deprived brain: Wordy Wednesday. Every day, I review a word from the English dictionary. I'll give it an x/10 rating on the following criteria: originality, functionality, and phonetic consistency.

So, here's today's word: A

Open any English dictionary and the first word you find will simply be the letter "a". What is this bullshit? It's literally just a single f*cking letter! For that, it loses a whole bunch of originality points. However, what it lacks in originality, a more than makes up for it with functionality. Here's the Meriam-Webster entry for a. As you can see, this is a versatile word that can be a simple graphical representation, an abbreviation, a preposition, an article. Hell, that sentence wouldn't even make sense if I didn't say "a" multiple times! On top of that, a is pretty easy to read. It's not just phonetically consitent— it's the very definition of phonetic consistency!

Anyway, I'm giving a a 7/10 rating. Horrendous originality, but everything else is great.

Back
Top Bottom