Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ivy and Chrome (FF & MM)

Teak. That’s certainly what it looks like, smells, feels, and by god even tastes like. The larger details of the room are a similar marvel: high vaulted ceiling, recessed indirect lighting, deep plush carpet, and gold brushed walls covered with priceless Impressionist paintings. The finely upholstered chairs were as fine as they come and a precise match for the classic teak of the large conference table. The room is near perfect, except for one thing. It isn’t real. The quality of the room is the surprise, not its lack of reality. That they had been expecting.

The contact came about six hours ago, and it was a hustle to get the team together. Cameo’s fixer called with potential biz, but the meet with the Johnson was not to take place in some dimly lit night club, greasy bar booth, or some devil rat-infested back alley. At the Johnson’s request, it was not going to happen anywhere. Anywhere real, that is. The virtual meeting was being honest by VMI, a division of UCAS Data systems, and it had quite a rep among the corporate elite. If you need privacy, security, quality, and photo resolution reality then VMI was your company. Assuming you had the nuyen to pay.

Limelight had been smiling the entire time they had been getting set up in the comfortable plush reclining couch, tossing Cameo a wink from where he sat. The physical adept always had a thing for the high life, trying his luck to break into the Simsense Vids but to no avail. Adepts were a dime a dozen, so were runners, so LL had been trying his hand at some good one-line slogans in his videos. The last one (You got three options, honey. I’ll ditch ya, I’ll shoot ya, or I’ll impregnate you.) had not really raked in new gigs for him, so running it was.

Moments later they were ready with the sensory-induction setup and the tech ran her hand across the panels. The conference room slowly resolved into their sight, leaving nothing but their intuition to realize that it was not real. The conference room offered up all the luxury available to the extraordinarily rich and the privileged. Their own private little corner of the Matrix.

Cameo whistled in appreciation as the room shimmered and then solidified into pseudo-reality around them. Gloved fingers plucked at the cushioning on the arms of the chair she was seated in, and she threw a grin in return as the runners “woke up” in a room that they normally couldn’t afford to even breathe in if they scraped together every nuyen they had.

It was a far cry indeed from her former life, crushed in the back of a DocWagon, trying to shed one set of blood and drek-coated full-body coveralls to squeeze into a fresh, sterilized pair before arrival at the next crisis on the call line. The young woman with the hot pink and purple hair wrinkled her freckled nose as she sniffed at the air in the simulation. It smelled woody and floral and very expensive.

“Whatcha think?” She whispered over at LL, waving her hands expansively at the room. “Is this what you’ll have when all those vids come through?” Like a true friend, she was both teasing and supportive of his Simsense dreams.

Limelight took a moment to move around the room, not overly stunned by the gorgeous array of items and furniture, but still it was not something he was accustomed to having. He might like to play the role of up and coming actor, but both him and Cameo knew that it was still a façade. Limelight had not made it big yet, he certainly was not on his way to doing so, and the bit roles he had solidified him as nothing but a B-rate actor. Still, he took the ribbing with ease and tossed her a quick flashy smile, before throwing himself back into one of the cushy chairs and tossing his feet up onto the teak table.

“Ah hell, Cam, you kidding me? This kind of place will be where my guests stay. Once I’m rolling in the nuyen I’ll show you what a real life is like, chummer.” He grinned just the tiniest of bits as he raised his eyebrows at her, a minor little flirt if there was one. He certainly did not treat any member of the team like he did her. Everyone else was professional, Cameo was a friend.

“Though, I got to say, looks like our pay day is going to be a bit higher this time. Who in hell do we have to thank for this kind of meet?”

Wriggling a bit uncomfortably in her chair, she jerked her shoulders in a quick shrug. Their Fixer hadn't had much to offer on information when it came to where this job was trickling down from, but clearly it was something much bigger than either of them had anticipated. She was going to have a little chat with Fingers and his lackadaisical style once this was over. Though, depending on how this went down, she'd either be kicking him in the balls for screwing them over, or finding him a big piece of real fucking chocolate cake to celebrate if they pulled this off and it paid as well as she now expected. "Fingers said he was contacted, that we were making a name for ourselves and blah, blah ... here's a job. That's an exact quote, by the way. Guess the rest will be a surprise."

Rolling her eyes, she leaned across the table to shove at his feet. "Let's at least pretend that we're worth all this fancy drek." The two of them had already been through it together. It was Limelight that had tucked her under his proverbial wing and showed her the ropes of running when Cameo had first realized her entire life had fallen to pieces around her. She owed him, and he was at least gentleman enough to never mention that out loud. It was fortunate that they just happened to get along, and she certainly didn't mind a little flirt here and there from the handsome phys adept.

Limelight had been a class act of a friend and that was rare amongst anyone in this wreck of a shitshow they called life. He’d dealt with her like she mattered whether it had been because she was a medtech, or the curve of her backside, or just because she seemed to be playing it straight. Maybe it was all the above, but he’d never been shitty enough to mention anything of the sort. Sometimes good things came to those who waited and maybe Limelight figured things would turn out one way or the other eventually. When death waited around the corner you sometimes had bigger things on your mind than getting a smooch in every so often…though, when it might be your last kiss maybe it was worth considering.

He flashed her a thumbs up from where he was, accepting the surprise as he began to look around. Nearby was an antique phone and he picked it up, surprised to hear that there was someone on the other end. It was VMI and LL checked with them about the time of the meeting, confirming it since nobody else was there except them. He shrugged when they assured him that they’d have company arriving shortly. It left them to explore the room, marveling a bit at the near perfection of their respective icons. Hell, even the ice water in the table pitcher is as cool and refreshing as it’s supposed to…

Suddenly the walls shimmered, bending, and twisting under the laws of pure mathematics and physics. The sense of unreality increased radially and for a moment perception became odd, logic intruding and dismissing the simsensual hallucination before them. Then the room stabilized. LL gave a small gasp, looking at the corner where a figure had appeared. Seemingly constructed of milky glass, she wore a finely made translucent gold armor in the ancient Greek style over a tunic of sheerest silk. Her hair is spun gold, wispy and floating lightly in an imaginary breeze, her eyes the cool blue of the sky. Behind her the conference room wall flickers uncertainly as it regains its stability.

She too appears confused, her gaze unfocused, flickering across the both of them and around the room. After a moment she takes a halting step forward and her mouth opens as if to speak, but at first no words come forth. Then you hear her voice. It is crisp, powerful, and laced with the undertones of rushing water. “My apologies,” she says. “I could not find the door…”

"...Whoa," was all she managed as she kicked up out of the upholstered chair that she had started to spin about in idly. The petite medic gawked in unabashed astonishment at the appearance of this new ... entity. Whatever it was, it looked just as out of place in this boardroom simulation as they themselves did, though that came down mostly to a clash in the expression of styles, she supposed. Teak wood and Renoir versus Hellenistic divinity. Both beautiful and entirely out of the ordinary for a couple of runners here about a job.

Clearing her throat, she flicked a glance and a shrug over LL's way before speaking. "It's fine, you're good. Are you who we're waiting to meet?" Her tone drifted off in a vague questioning lilt at the end. "I'm Cameo, and this is Limelight." Eyebrows quirked, an invitation for the other to introduce themselves and explain something.

Limelight himself moved like things were real, forgetting for a moment that they were in a virtual reality space. His perfected physique flexed as he came up and near Cameo, integrating himself just a tiny bit next to her so that he was prepared for any kind of throw down that happened. Of course, he was not some dumb slog and in a quick moment he realized the stupidity of flexing his biceps against a digital construct. A wry grin crossed his features as he waited for the answer. Cam had asked the right questions; he had let her take the lead for now.

For a moment it looked like the strange virtual icon in front of them glitched, a haltering and flickering in the motions as it raised one glass arm to give a gesture. The head tilted, visually stuttered, and then the voice came through a bit more distant than before. Warbling and dissonant.

“Yes, I’m your employer,” it says before looking quizzically down at itself and back up to Cameo. “I am hiring you to find a young girl named Fayette. Fayette Myers. She has gone missing. She vanished from the prestigious Rhododendron Conservatory. I would like,” there was a brief pause as if confused over words before it continued. “I am hiring you to find her whereabouts and who has taken her.”

Frowning, Cameo looked again at her chummer, mouthing the word "Rhododrendron?" It wasn't familiar to her, but she hadn't lived long in this area. 'Hmm... okay," she said slowly, turning back to eye the flickering image. A missing person? Didn't seem like their usual ask. "What can you tell us about Fayette? And the ... erm ... situation surrounding her disappearance. I'm assuming this was investigated by her family? The police? Private security?"

This construct was odd. The way it was acting ... she didn't like it. Though, when it came to tech, unless it put a hole in something or plugged a hole, then it wasn't part of her skillset. And she was fine with that, usually.

There was definitely something a bit off about the way the construct was moving. There have always been rumors of strange artificial intelligences that functioned in digital space and maybe this was one of them. Something about the icon seemed a bit familiar though, and it was Limelight he placed it as he stood there. He did not say anything, but she could tell with the hitch of his breath that he recognized something about the person that shared the room with them.

Instead the strange glass like being made a small motion with its hand to bring up a holovid of Fayette as it talked. “The matter is being investigated, but by you. There is information being kept secure due to the situation regarding the young girl. Fayette attended the conservatory in Bellevue’s Inglewood District, near Lake Washington. She roomed in the Oxus Hall dormitory. She has only been missing for a day, but the situation is unusual.”

The holovid played out of a shy young girl, looking forlorn, gazing down at the floor as she passed by holomonitors in the dorm. Unremarkable, she had sand blond hair that was loose over her shoulders. Dressed simply in jeans and a sweater, Fayette seemed sadly a bit vulnerable in a world full of dangers.

The construct spoke again. “I’m willing to offer you 10,000 each up front to find the girl and an additional 20,000 upon her safe return.”

Cameo had drifted closer to the floating holovid as it played. Nothing particularly unusual stood out to her about the girl, except that it reminded her a bit of herself when she had been younger. Raised by a distant aunt who wasn't particularly interested in a maternal role, she had received her education and the majority of her social and emotional growth at boarding schools and through a vidscreen. Her job with DocWagon acute crisis services had suited her fine. She didn't have to be real talkative to folks when they were bleeding out or experiencing serious BTL withdrawals.

LL knew something. His expression had gone all quiet for a second. Real thoughtful-like.

Her brows quirked upward and she bit the inside of her cheek not to grin stupidly at the amount being offered. Hell, running was always profitable or it wasn't worth the danger, but this was something new for her. Clearing her throat, she addressed the glittering Greek icon further. "Hmm, umm... and what is it about the situation that prompted you to hire us?"

There was a small moment where the being did not do anything and in fact stalled in place completely. For several long seconds it did not move, before there was a random jerkiness in its approach and it spoke with strange disconnection. “It is not like Fayette to act in this way. She has not attended classes and I am worried. Fayette may have a boyfriend, but I do not know who it is. I have no further information.”

A bewildered expression touched its face before glancing towards something that seemed to be beyond the confines of the room they were in. The figure went staccato, visually jumping around as it wavered, before saying once again. "I’m willing to offer you 10,000 each up front to find the girl and an additional 20,000 upon her safe return.”

She shook her head, looking over at LL. "Err ... thoughts?"

To the glitching construct, she continued. "Okay, we can look into this girl. How do we contact you if we find out anything?" How do we get paid, was what she meant. She didn't get why anyone would seek out shadowrunners because a kid cut class, but hey. Maybe it would a quick and easy, danger-free assignment. That would be nice, for once. Fayette was very likely holed up with this boyfriend somewhere. Wouldn't be the first time a girl acted dumb when there was a boyfriend in the picture.

The "construct" took its time in answering the question, giving another motion of its hand but this time towards something that would be considered offscreen. There was a haziness now as if the world around the being was being adjusted, the visuals no longer nearly as perfect in the meeting room, and for a moment a wavering of reality seemed to wash over them all. Sickening, unearthly, and strange.

The being seemed almost perplexed at the question though, once it solidified again, as if it had not considered this possibility. After a moment it speaks. “I will set up an account on one of the private electronic mail services. As soon as I have the account number, I will provide it to you. To leave me a message simply log onto the service and leave a message in the electronic mailbox. I will periodically log in and check the box.”

It was the last thing said before the construct left the virtual meeting room, doing so in a strange slow fade away which was highly unlike anything most decker would do, and the system shut down. One of the nearby techs let out a strange whistle and muttered. “That was weird as hell.” As Cameo and Limelight started to have their equipment removed the VMI supervisor spoke with frantic need to reassure them both, informing the two that they had done everything in their power to remove the decker from the system and Lonestar had been informed of the intrusion.

Cameo waved off the reassurances. Whatever all that was, it was their problem to sort out. She allowed the tech to take the equipment she had used, her brows scrunched up in thought as she shot a glance over at LL. He had been incredibly quiet during all this; far more so than was his usual and she still remembered that little glimmer of recognition from him when they were speaking with the construct.

She waited until they were all unstrapped and ushered out of the room, the door closing firmly behind them and the sound of the harried supervisor as he yelled at the techs. Striding alongside him, she slipped her arm through his and peered up at him to whisper, "So. What the fuck was that?"

Limelight knew exactly how to act in this kind of circumstance, falling into the role with such ease it was as if they were made for each other. Much of it involved the fact that he knew they didn’t want to seem disconcerted or upset, that whatever happened they probably wanted to keep to themselves, and that was all well and good. More than that though he enjoyed the feeling of Cameo pressing slightly near to him, a small smile touching his features as he walked in casual step with her and leaned close to whisper so that nobody could here. His body language looked completely like they were smitten lovers and that suited him just fine.

“It was weird as fuck, that’s for sure. I recognized the icon, took me a few moments, but what happened didn’t make sense. I’m no decker, but I dig on the Matrix clubs and the hall of famers. People that really get noticed. That decker icon was Diana. Kind of why she looked like she did. Ya know, the old goddess?” He gave her a query look, turning his head just slightly to do so, and something in those eyes hinted attraction was a bit more than just a playact.

But he kept the casual pace, turning his head back away to keep an eye around the place. When you ran you always stayed alert, even with a pretty girl. “Everything she did was wrong though, ya know? She could’ve slagged that system and kicked VMI to the curb, but it seemed like she was having hellacious trouble the entire time. Hell, when she logged off it was even wrong. It was something called a Slow Disconnect. It’s not something that can’t be done, but it’s a shitty breach of protocol. Just, like I said, definitely not her.”

"Okaaaay...." Cameo said slowly, dragging out the word as they strode side-by-side. "Gotta admit, I'm a bit rusty on my old-world mythology, but I guess that's not really the point anyway. So, you're saying someone else hijacked this famous icon?" Chewing at her lower lip, she let her cheek rest against his arm a moment. Ya know, for appearances sake. "Know anything personal about this decker? Not sure if it's even worth looking into if you're certain it's not her, but could be useful. She might know who used her goddess for their own purposes, or could find out if we need it."

Exiting the building and back on the streets, she released him to peer up and down the street before facing him with her hands to her hips. "So. This kid. Guess we accepted the job, we might as well look into it. Basic search into the girl? Visit this Rhododendron place? Well... once we see if that "up front" payment goes through."

The casual walk between the two of them took on the slightest air of comfort that made them a good team. It was one thing to work pro and another to care about the runner at your side. The others on their team, contract workers, they were not shit compared to someone like Cameo. It made Limelight sigh just the tiniest bit as he wondered briefly if there would ever be a time, they might turn the flirting to something else, but he dropped it pretty quickly from his mind. They were on a job and when it came to a missing person time was always of the essence. He might not know this person, might never have even helped them on the street if they needed some nuyen, but he was not a bad guy either. They had been hired, he would find her, or at least something for her family to go on.

He rolled her out to his car, the one thing he had really invested in. Looks mattered and LL liked to drop his nuyen on other things than investing in the future. He was investing in the now. His Mitsubishi Night Sky glimmered as it was brought around to the front of the offices by the parking conveyor belt, his smile lighting up as he gave the roof a small pat as he replied to Cam’s words. “Nah, I don’t know her, hell wouldn’t even know how to find her. There are a few dives, bars and such, for Decking fandom, but the real deckers meet up virtually. I wouldn’t be anywhere on that guest list.”

He glanced up towards the street as Lonestar began to roll up nearby, raising his eyebrows. They did not need any kind of business with these folks, especially with their nightlife. He opened the door for Cameo, purposefully looking away so as not to take a gander anywhere he would appreciate as she got in. “Yeah, Rhododendron it is.” He shut the door and then sauntered round to the other side, sliding in, and revving up the engine.

“Think we should touch base with the others? Run this ourselves for now? Doubt we’re gonna need a heavy hitter at an upscale school.”

The ride was something else. She liked that part of working with Limelight for sure - he was always living it up. Cameo was the kind of girl that expected disaster around the corner, and so prepped and scraped and saved for the inevitable moment when the shit hit the fan. No way would she drop nuyen on something this extravagant, though she highly appreciated its value beyond the price tag and the beauty. It was fast and private, and that latter part was a whole other kind of luxury for someone who usually depended on public transport to get around.

She twisted in her seat and kept an eye out behind them as Lonestar piled out of their own vehicles and entered the building they had just exited. No one seemed to take particular notice of the car driving off, so she shrugged and turned back, unzipping her jacket and slipping it out of it before buckling the seat belt across her chest. "Yeah, well ... it's an avenue to pursue if we get stuck, I suppose. It's just weird, ya know... if it was the girl's family, then why all the extra steps - the "borrowed" icon, hiring us through VM? And I really don't like that we seemed to be their first option. It's fucking shady."

Chewing on her lip, she thought it over a bit and then shrugged, "Let's see what turns up at the school first. We can always throw out an invitation to this party when we have a better idea of what we're up against."

LL gave a grim smile. They really had no idea what they were up against and sometimes that was the best. The man was not just some punk trying to get into the acting business, he aspired of being an action star, and that was for a damned good reason. Limelight was a physical adept. Primed, perfected, and a true killing machine with his hands. He did not need fancy cyberware or datajack to be wiz. When things fragged up, when drek was going down, and lives were on the line…that is when the man came to life, quite literally, and she had seen those glowing hands kill. He lived for the thrill.

The engine revved and they took off, zipping out and into the street with zero hesitation. He drove like a maniac, but that was familiar itself and sometimes you just needed that kind of friend. His voice was barely heard over the sound of the Night Sky revving, his features musing through it all. “Ya know, there’s got to be something more though, when you think about it. 10k for a girl who hasn’t even been missing forty-eight hours? Smells fishy as hell, but money talks don’t it. Still, definitely sounds like our employer knows there’s danger doesn’t it?”

The question was practically rhetorical as they tore ass through the city, heading through towards their destination. Rhododendron Conservatory was in Bellevue’s Inglewood District, near Lake Washington. A thin wire mesh fence surrounded the well-trimmed lawns and DecoVeggie shrubbery of the campus. Three men sat by an ornate white cottage adjust to the gate all practically identical. Blue-eyed, fresh faced, handsome, and all wearing dapper leisure suits. All three had shoulders a troll might envy.

As they rolled up one of the men at the gate approached Cameo’s passenger side and as she rolled her window down, he grinned and nodded his head. “Hello, miss. What brings you to the Rhododendron Conservatory on this fine day?”

It was exhilarating, and also a tad bit nerve-wracking for the medic. Car crash statistics and gory, fiery flashbacks of arriving in the DocWagon after someone decided to take a spin in the wrong fucking direction and then straight into a populated storefront played out in her mind, but she just gripped the seat belt in her hands and let him do his thing. She trusted his aptitude and reflexes - it was everyone else's vehicles that puttered about in the dust of the Night Sky that concerned her. Cutting a glance his way, she grinned at the sight of him musing complacently on their situation while he weaved the car through the traffic. "Let's just stay optimistic, yeah? Kid's at a sleepover or a study date or some such thing and forgot to check in with whoever the hell it is behind the goddess. Nice, easy payday coming our way."

The sight of the Conservatory made Cameo curse a little under her breath. She was so not dressed right for this place. Leaving her multi-colored neon jacket draped over her lap, she pulled herself up straight in her seat and twisted the length of hot pink dyed hair back into a semi-respectable bun at the nape of her neck. The midriff-baring black top would have to do though. She reached for the button to roll down the window as Thing 1, 2, and 3 eyed the pair of them as LL coasted to a stop. The one she had mentally labeled as Thing 2 strode forward and she met his smile with a well-practiced bright one of her own. "Hi there. Could you direct us to the administrator's office?"

Last edited:
Thing 1, 2, and 3 were the correct way of viewing these practical triplets. The three men took a moment to look over the two that were inside, practically, and immediately finding them unworthy of being on the premises. Their opinion of the shady visitors did not vanish, but the Night Sky might have given the some cred though and the guard gave a small hmph noise in the back of his throat as he gestured for the two of them to enter. “Follow me, you’ll want to talk with Headmaster Blum. He doesn’t really like to be disturbed, but maybe he’ll make an exception.”

With that he waved towards one of the other guards who reached up to their headset and spoke a simple command. The large gate to the Conservatory began to open as Thing 1 went over and jumped into a small stylish golf cart with the school’s brand on the side. Driving out in front of the Night Sky he maneuvered them onto the grounds so that they could park. Doing so gave them the view of the wonderful vista, gardens, and small ponds, and even a smattering of fountains and gazebos on some of the walkways. The place was upscale, that was certain. Thing 1 drove ahead of them to the lot, stepping out of his vehicle, and gesturing towards one of the buildings nearby.

Sorrel Hall.

Luckily for the two of them there was a helpful map and directory nearby detailing the campus buildings. Sorrel Hall held the Main Offices, Dispensary, and Headmaster’s Office. There was a gymnasium named Dearpark, dormitories at Oxus Hall, and classrooms at Rankle Hall. As the two runners existed their vehicle to begin their walk up towards the buildings the “guard” began to casually walk several feet behind them. Making no attempt whatsoever to hide himself. It seemed they had free rein on where to go if it was with an escort.

On the drive over to the parking lot, Cameo glanced his way. "I have a feeling we aren't quite their type of clientele. Let's see what we can find out with some polite questions, if this Headmaster cares to share anything worthwhile."

Climbing out of the car, she straightened the black tank over slim-fitting gray cargo pants. Leaving her dyed hair in the twisted bun, she waited for LL to come around from his side before nodding and making her way toward the building Thing 1 had indicated. It had her itchy to know that the goon was trailing them, but nothing really to be done about it, so she did her best to ignore the man as they ventured to Sorrel Hall. All in all, so far this place was a dressed-up version of the boarding school that she had attended so very long ago, and so was nothing quite so fascinatingly novel as the VR experience had been at their hire.

The door to Sorrel Hall whooshed open with the cool, slightly stale smell of recycled air. Attempting to appear confident in her direction, she paused a moment to locate the Headmaster's Office on the board posted by the door, and then continued on.

With its white walls, porch, and decorative columns, Sorrel Hall looks almost old-fashioned. Only the blinking security system at each door spoils the effect. Nobody stops them from going in, although a camera watches the door. There was a moment as they entered where a synthesized voice asked each of them to speak their name into a wire grille before entering. After complying the voice launched into a message about the history and tradition of Rhododendron Conservatory, set in the scenic Pacific Northwest, blah, blah blah. The two of them passed into a lobby furnished with upholstered chairs, a polished table, and a machine dispensing real coffee rather than soy-kaf. Beyond, there was the carpeted hallway leading to the school offices.

Finding the headmaster was simple, but not before LL waltzed over to get them both that cup of coffee. In a small way it was cute how he made sure to make her a cup, in another it was playful as Limelight took his time to the chagrin of the security guard that was trailing them. Sometimes you just had to enjoy the little things. Giving a teasing wink at Cameo and raising the cup to the guard he moved with her towards the offices.

Stepping into the main office Cameo is greeted by a tall hairless man sitting at a small workstation, sitting at a red plastic desk. Deep piles of data chips and trinkets grow ever taller around the vid-terminal as this secretary contends with the day’s business. The man might be a secretary, but from his muscles, chiseled features, and arrogant grin that greets the two runners there was little doubt that he was more.

Eyebrows raise in the universal greeting…Whadya want?

Cam accepted the cup of coffee with a pleased grin. The smell alone was enough to have made this whole trip worthwhile. She winked at him over the cup before taking a sip of the dark, hot beverage. "Well aren't you my favorite person ever right now," she said to LL as they continued on together toward the main office. The security guard continued to follow them, though from his face it was clear that he was so over this babysitting duty.

The coffee had perked her up, so she was able to meet the man's arrogant expression with an unperturbed smile. "Good afternoon. I was hoping that you could tell me where I can find Fayette Myers at this time of day? She stays in the Oxus Hall dorm. We've been asked to check in on her, ya know, make sure she's doing okay. If you could point us in the right direction, that would be fantastic."

She was an optimist; surely he would be helpful and just answer her questions without a whole bunch of needless run-around, right?

Back
Top Bottom