Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hamilton

I'm going to take a stance which is typically untenable. I don't like it and I've not seen it. Now my issues with it are not tied to the performance and it's quality; but to the creation and subject of it. To help explain something better then I could articulate I will defer to these videos. If you watch them and still enjoy the performance, then great; but I hope you can come out with a wider appreciation of the mythologizing we've done of our founding fathers and how far it may stray from the truth.

I do apologize for how large those videos are showing up, not sure how to shrink them down.

Put them in spoilers.

I loved the show, I am sure it's heavily romanticised but I'm okay with that.

It is funny, I loved the show, and especially enjoyed how it humanized Hamilton, Burr, and the other founding fathers, and made them feel like actual people that you could emulate, that had real flaws. I felt that I would be able to reach similar heights, while watching it. It is now my favorite musical.

I saw it live and enjoyed it!

I'm not persuaded by the criticism that it's bad because it casts Alexander Hamilton in an inaccurately flattering light - it certainly does, but that doesn't matter. It's a fictionalized telling of a (n.b., not "the") story of a founding father and the founding of the USA.
It is absolutely not meant to be a balanced, legitimate biography... the singing and dancing are a dead giveaway. ;)

It's got a fun and innovative score, lots of memorable moments, and with its race-flipped casting it connects America's founding principles to modern issues. It's entertaining and interesting!

It was a really fun watch! I didn't really get any of the songs stuck in my head the way people claimed, but I do remember enjoying the way most of them went on.

My only criticism would be the pace. Every few minutes a new song/theme is beginning and it can be a little overwhelming to those not familiar with stage musicals ported directly to a movie like experience.

Very much needed a nap after watching. All in all, it was fun and kinda informative(???). I'm certainly not going to be basing any theses on it. Though I can't say I expect to from something of that nature.

My only criticism of it is the selected title. It clearly should have been named after the obvious hero of the story: King George III

ED063BF0-4BC4-497A-B6D8-5034659DDE55.jpeg

Hmm, I think it's okay to not like something for a myriad of reasons. Now, I won't take your opinion on something if you call it bad without ever giving it a chance, that's just silly, but if you have no interest in something for whatever reason you want whether it's hype or historical accuracy or whatever, that's your call. We all like and dislike things for various reasons and I'm no different, so I do try not to judge that.

Back
Top Bottom