Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Upstarts Unbound [OoC]

I also don't think I'll focus a lot on religion, unless my character is trying to pull a con and act like a priestess :)

And thanks for the background info! I think I'll make my character a one-time member of the PCTC, who tried to sell out some of her rivals to the Society of Bespoke Services to gain power and influence in the Isles, only to have the plan significantly backfire on her.

Weird. I didn't get almost a whole week of updates here.

Okay, so, Detri is an island native, personally born in the independent region, to a family driven out of the western isles during the colonization. Conciliatory tendencies in father, though, meant doing business with the PCTC anyway. Detri calls those tendencies cowardly, and has always wanted to turn the family business from authorized sales to smuggling and embargo-running, if not outright piracy. She thinks it's a moral necessity, since the western isles are all stolen land, so they'd just be confiscating wealth that belongs to them anyway.

Religiously, she's not exactly devoted to anything. She thinks Irsilan is cool in all her aspects and that Tivedo sounds exciting. Quelda would be right up her alley except she has some major objections to what gets called "civilization", so fuck those gods first to last. She gets Xalcanthet confused with Tivedo regularly and just rolls her eyes at correction. She should pray to Banderbane for support, but I'm gonna say she hasn't heard enough about that one to realize. But, like, she's seventeen. She likes gods for the drama of them, especially the adversarial ones. She absolutely will burn down a chapel to the light, if given half a chance.

Last edited:
Hahaha well maybe my backup character will be a druid with very high will saves :) Just in case this proves to be a disastrous party dynamic. But I'm all about interesting characters over balanced characters, myself.

Weird. I didn't get almost a whole week of updates here.

Okay, so, Detri is an island native, personally born in the independent region, to a family driven out of the western isles during the colonization. Conciliatory tendencies in father, though, meant doing business with the PCTC anyway. Detri calls those tendencies cowardly, and has always wanted to turn the family business from authorized sales to smuggling and embargo-running, if not outright piracy. She thinks it's a moral necessity, since the western isles are all stolen land, so they'd just be confiscating wealth that belongs to them anyway.

She'll have a lot of interesting interactions. Since she'll be very tied in with the factions and making hard decisions on who to support, since all her options are double-edged in one way or another.

Quelda would be right up her alley except she has some major objections to what gets called "civilization", so fuck those gods first to last.

Ah, I should maybe clarify some intentions. "Civilized Pantheon" is more of a mortal label that most of the "first world" countries apply to the set of gods they focus worship upon vs. what they deem unacceptable. Other cultures favor/disfavor different gods.

I didn't settle on which deities the natives worshipped, but I figured Quelda was one, as a deity of the stars, sailing, and navigation. Irsilan was another.

She absolutely will burn down a chapel to the light, if given half a chance.

Detri Vikernes over here.

I'm pleased to see we all decided we didn't give a fuck about will saves.

lol. This is gonna be amazing depending on what plot hooks you pursue.

Anyhow. Gonna see about that IC thread tomorrow.

I didn't settle on which deities the natives worshipped, but I figured Quelda was one, as a deity of the stars, sailing, and navigation. Irsilan was another.
Oh, all right. Quelda's high on the list, then, since Detri's big on the freedom of the open seas etc.

Detri Vikernes over here.
Sooooo.... I get it. I do. Varg burned a church down or something. But he's also a nazi sympathizer, so I'm gonna be looking for a different example all the same.

In other news I'm considering officially changing to title to "Upstarts Undressed".
Also, that "eyes: two" is some tempting fate.

Please, pirates is so uncouth. Ladies of the larceny! High priestesses of wild seas and easy money! Seekers of great fortune with minimal effort! Not pirates.

IC voice No no no you’re missing the point! We need something that speaks of class and style! And two eyes. Definitely two eyes.

Thanks for your patience everyone. It's b been a helluva week.
Figured I’d give you all a chance to exercise your agency before the riot breaks out.
Questions, feedback, etc, appreciated.

Amazing intro and first post!

I had second thoughts about character background with this group, now that I'm sitting down to write from her voice. Could I switch things up, and have MC be an elite of the Society of Bespoke Services, who was trying to defect to the PCTC? It makes more sense to end up at a slave auction for betraying slavers than not-slavers.

Thanks! Yeah, I want to think a bit more about her backstory, though I think I can make the first post without it since I'm not sure I'll have time to do that tonight. And, I'm so sorry to do this now that we've just gotten started, but I'm going camping for the weekend so won't have a way to read/post until Sunday night. I'll get her first post up tonight before I leave at least! Feel free to have her tag along quietly for the time being if yall move ahead in the story.

Back
Top Bottom