Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Into the Unknown (Fantasy/NSFW) Main Thread

40E0D0

For all their misgivings or thoughts about their leader, he was no slouch. The path to the Outpost was well established - the trail they were on worn from the march of feet and passage of horses and wagons, heading in both directions, as supplies were brought to the Outpost and it was built up. It was not a random path as many seemed to think it was, but a route just as established as any road they had traveled on.

The purpose of their expedition was for expansion. Building a road, with required way stations and steady supply, across the Sea of Grass was a costly expenditure. The ground would be easy to break, which was not the problem, but the cost of keeping it running and supplying the designated over night stops was. Not to mention transporting all that stone to New Haven, which didn't have quarries nearby for the expenditure.

And why build a road and fund its expenses if if it led to nowhere? The Outpost, as it was called, was extremely isolated, on an unknown frontier. If, however, there were riches to be found, then New Haven would boom and the road would be built, with many willing to fund its expansion with all the wealth and people that would travel through New Haven and into the frontier.

The Guild, of course, had its sticky fingers in all of this, both the power and funding to make things happen. They would be at the forefront, the first to benefit from such discoveries and expansion. The first inns and taverns established along such a route would surely bear the gold symbol of a Sextant, the Guilds insignia and proof of 'owenership.

The Grass around them bent and moved in the steady wind, much like waves in the ocean. The terrain was rolling, small rises offering a view of its great expanses, while dipping into the hollow afterwards made it feel like an ominous forest pressing in around them all.

Heat bloomed on Sabina's cheeks when Lia said she learned the Nubian word jinsia. She realized the woman was testing her, wondering if her knowledge came solely from books or from experience, so she forced her embarrassment back and replied in a steady, calm voice laced with a tinge of humor, "Ah, a different use for the tongue, indeed. I might be a linguist, but that kind isn't my specialty. I leave that for the men and women out there who are so inclined."

"For all this bunch of brutes know our destination is a days ride from here but they blindly follow this path wherever it might lead them," said Lia.

Sabina remained silent. From what she'd observed, the leader was cautious, and he and the soldiers and leader seemed familiar with the path. However, she let the comment slide, allowing that Lia's ire was related to years of professional misogyny and her recent spat with Grimsson. When the woman said she wanted to begin her work and suggested that talk more when they made camp, she agreed and maneuvered her horse out of the way and ahead of the mapmaker.

Just as the girl settled into a peaceful ride, her horse whinnied and started.

"Nyugodj, fiú," she intoned gently, tugging the reigns authoritatively and rubbing her steed's neck. "Yes, that's a good boy," she continued, comforting him. She perused the crushed grass below and saw nothing untoward, so she clicked her tongue and guided him to continue. Reaching up, she caressed the locket she wore and breathed deeply, closing her eyes for a moment. She inhaled the sweet fragrance of the grasses, but there was a bitter bite that lingered in her lungs long after she exhaled. Brow furrowed, she tapped her heels against her horse's flanks and caught up with the healer.

"Pardon me, you are Kira, the healer, are you not?" she asked. "I'm Sabina, the linguist. I have a question for you. Besides winter root and elder vine, there is another bitter herb that once grew in the Northeast part of the Empire. I cannot remember the name, but I believe it is quite poisonous and grows quickly under the right conditions. The Empire eradicated it a few years back. Do you remember?"

Sabina paused, breathing in deep and wrinkling her nose again. She coughed and gestured loosely to the air. "Do you smell that? Do you think that scent is the herb? It would have to be in large quantities to be in the air, wouldn't it?"

Last edited:
“There are loads of plants that can cause a lot of damage besides those two. Oleander is one of them, lets say a bee feeds from that plant and then makes honey which you collect and drink… you will be dead in a few hours. Nightshade is another plant that can pretty much kill you quite fast… and normally smelling a plant it is not that dangerous is more of eating or using it in a drink that can cause death. There are also cases of plants that just by touching it you can get killed but those are very rare” she continued patting her horse apparently she liked the horse a lot.

“Also it’s Karin, not Kira” she giggled and rolled her eyes. That was a mistake that a lot of people made with her name “Also do not think of the smell, if you do not think of it your mind would not register it and you can go around it as normal. Just focus on something else other than the smell”. The road was quiet aside from small groups talking with each other which was something she did not expected.

“But with the same token there are plants that can be amazing at healing and have properties very good to the human body. Plants can prevent infection of an open wound if placed correctly or can even heal from illness. Some can give some extra spice to meat and food as well as being very delicious and nutritious… that is why I researched this, plants can be a double edge sword if you do not know what your doing…” she blushed as she looks at all of the others before looking down, “Ummm sorry I tend to babble when it comes to plants and the human body… I find it fascinating both.

untitled.jpg

As they traveled the breeze grew steadier, making the tips of the grass dip and sway like dancers in a line. Riot’s gaze brushed the tops of the grass, enjoying the slight change in the lightly rolling terrain. He had rarely had this vantage point on the route from New Haven to the Outpost since he normally walked. Though he was taller than most, he decided he enjoyed the advantages of a view from horseback. Perhaps, when they returned, he would have to find a way to fit one of these fine animals into his life.

He noticed the brunette before him pull her horse aside, then rummage in her bag for some items. Slowing, he paused his horse as she dismounted. She looked at him with a different look than she had when she stormed out from behind the building earlier. It was not a look he was accustomed to.

"Can you help me?" She asked, holding out the reins of her horse for him to hold. "I need to get up a bit higher but my horse keeps moving."

“I’m sorry, what?” He squinted slightly as he tried to figure out what she meant by ‘get up a bit higher’. Was she saying she wanted to get up higher on the crest of one of the rolling knolls? The terrain had a slight roll, but there were no hills about. There was no ‘higher’ to be seen as far as the eye could reach.

"If maybe you could keep your horse still and let me get up behind you?" She suggested.

He blinked slowly, giving her a steady look as he tried to figure out what she meant. He nudged his horse to flank hers and bent to take the reins, then slid them through a loop at the rear right of his saddle to pony hers horse to his. “Of course, whatever you need; but do it quickly,” he suggested. The Red Giant was closing in on them. If they continued to block his path there was no telling how the Huge One would react, and he wasn’t keen on getting on Grimsson’s bad side on day one along with the giant warrior’s.

If she was about to wander off into the grass, he would call out to her to stop, but otherwise he would let her be. Women, after all, were strange creatures. Their ways were mysterious and only a fool would try to understand them. It was best to accept their curiosities and let them be.

They had a long trip to the Outpost, and though it was not mapped the route had been established through the Grasslands. Once there, it would be virgin territory for them to explore. Their road led almost directly into the morning sun, dipping occasionally north or south slightly, but as long as one traveled towards the sunrise and followed the path, they would eventually reach the small settlement. Beyond that, the broken terrain of rough, rocky ground and trees were as much a mystery as women were, and as dangerous. But if they tread carefully and had courage, there might be great riches to be found.

He seemed confused but willing to help, she was also made nervous by the approach of the giant in their rear guard, but she had to do what she was about to try. "I'll be quick, I promise." She said with a warm smile that hinted at how much she appreciated his help. He took the reins and secured her horse, both animals seeming to obey him reasonably well. Her hands were still too full to climb so she handed him her sextant. "Hold this, carefully." She cautioned as she couldn't afford to lose it. She would have preferred back ups to all her equipment but it just wasn't possible. With one hand free she raised it to him. "Now grab my arm tight and brace yourself in the stirrups." She asked as she gripped his elbow, expecting him to do the same for her. She tucked her time piece into a vest pocket and shoved her parchment into her cleavage. She grabbed his belt with her other hand in a rather immodest fashion for someone she was only just meeting. Once she felt they both had a secure grip she kicked one leg up and pulled with all her strength on his arm. It wasn't real pretty but she managed to get up most of the way, she was stronger than she looked. She clung tight to him, her breasts pressed and rubbed from his arm to his back side as she got herself into position.

Finally behind him she landed hard on the back of his saddle. "Oh that hurt." She groaned slightly as her still sore bottom hit the high ridge of the saddle back. "I'm Laelia by the way, I'm making our maps." She managed to say as she looked around, still not really high enough to see the horizon clearly. "Hold very still." She told him a bit sternly, as she put both hands on his shoulders and drew one foot up and close so she could start to stand. She glanced behind to see the giant closing in on them. "Steady me will ya?" She asked casually, her concern more for taking her first reading than any fear of either of these men. They were after all, here to support her in bringing a decent map back to the empire, at least in her mind. She also had a habit of treating people as if they were there to serve her needs.

Once she was on her feet she could see well enough. "Perfect, now hand me that." She extended her left hand down expectantly towards will, impatient now that she was finally in position. It only took her about 30 seconds to get her easterly reading. "Ok that was the easy one." She said, handing him back the sextant. "Now just, excuse me." For lack of a better hand hold she gripped the short hair on top of his head and shifted her position, her left leg coming over his left shoulder her pubic bone practically in his ear. Her thighs squeezing together pressing against shoulder blade and pectoral, her foot on his saddle pommel. "Ok one more now." She again took a reading then handed the device back to Will. She scribbled on her piece of parchment then shoved it back into her cleavage. She was about to climb down but then looked to the giant. "Be a dear won't you and just put me on my horse." She again flashed a smile, the one that often had men eager to help her. "Gently please." She added, recalling how sensitive her poor bottom was. As an after thought she added. "My name's Laelia, but my friends call me Lia." She then waited expectantly for the giant to fulfill her request.

untitled.jpg

Ah, now that smile of hers was as amazing as Sabina’s voice had been. How could he say ‘no’ to a smile like that? As the woman moved around the horse’s body she handed him her sex. Tant. Sextant. He reached down and took it in a gloved hand, nodding that he would be careful. She seemed to be trying to figure out a way to clamber into the seat with him, and he was just about to open his mouth and tell her what to do when she beat him to the punch.

"Now grab my arm tight and brace yourself in the stirrups." She asked as she gripped his elbow.

He smirked at her instructions, but extended his powerful left arm to her and allowed her to clasp it, hands to elbows, and looked down in time to see her shove something in her vest and another between her breasts. His eyebrow shot up at the brief exposure. ‘Interesting,’ he thought, pulling her up as she grabbed his belt and swung up over the rear of his horse. In its defense, the horse did well and only stepped in place at the brush across its rump. He pulled her up the rest of the way to set her behind him, feeling the press of her breast against his arm and back.

"Oh that hurt." She groaned slightly as her still sore bottom hit the high ridge of the saddle back. "I'm Laelia by the way, I'm making our maps."

“Ah,” he acknowledged. “William Riot, at your service. Scout.” He figured a handshake had already been had and waited while she squirmed around on the seat behind him.

Mapmaking was a complex thing, and he considered it interesting that they only had one in their group. Will tended to keep his maps in his head. But then again, his maps usually involved things that went under or over the normal paths of movement, and that would be difficult to show on a piece of paper.

"Hold very still." She told him a bit sternly, as she put both hands on his shoulders and drew one foot up and close so she could start to stand.

‘Hmm, bossy lady knows what she wants,’
he told himself as he complied. She had no problem invading his personal space, but he did not mind it much, considering she had asked him first. Mostly. And then she was standing on the saddle behind him, like a performer in a circus. ‘Huh,’ he thought, glancing up at her by arching his neck. From this vantage point he had a good view of her legs, the dark line of her trousers between them, and the curve of her breast through her vest. It was a very, very, interesting sight indeed.

"Steady me will ya?"

Now how did she expect that? Or was she talking to Red? In case she meant him, he switched the sextant back to his left hand and reached behind himself with his right, finding the hard line of her calf and grasping her tightly. As she balanced, he could feel the twitching of her muscles, and noted that they were actually very strong. She wasn’t a soft, court lady with no strength to her. No, not at all. She had strength in her legs. He remembered the view of her standing behind him, and wondered if the rest of her body exhibited the same strength.

"Perfect, now hand me that." She extended her left hand down expectantly towards will.

He reached up and handed the sextant to her over his head. She definitely had a dominant streak to her, this one. The giant behind them was getting closer, and Will drew in a deep breath and let it out. ‘This is not what I would consider part of my normal duties,’ he thought, ‘but the view is nice.’ He craned his head back to watch her taking her reading, and when she handed him back the sextant he was ready to receive it.

"Now just, excuse me." For lack of a better hand hold she gripped the short hair on top of his head and shifted her position.

“Ah! Careful,” he complained at the grip, though it also aroused him, and then her left leg went over his shoulder and he could feel the heat from her sex against his jaw and ear.

“Any closer and you’ll need to bring me flowers,” he quipped, still complying with her needs and handing her the sextant when her hand returned for it. As she squeezed her thighs, he tightened his shoulders and core, then drew another breath, this one through his nose, as he began to feel himself becoming decidedly uncomfortable in his pants. There just wasn’t enough room in there for what was going on.

“Ok one more now.” She said. Moving slightly, and with her leg on his shoulder, he had a difficult time not imagining her doing that in the nude. This was going to be a more difficult journey than he thought. He rested his head against her clenched thigh, awaiting her next need. She smelled clean, like soap and fresh linen. It was a decidedly nice scent, though the faint tinge of sex, male sex, invaded his olfactory glands and told him that she had probably been a little bit naughty recently. Or maybe she was married…hard to imagine a man allowing his wife to take off on a journey with no guarantee home. He glanced back up, his right hand still grasping her calf, and saw her tucking the parchment between her breasts once more. ‘Lucky scrap of paper.’

About that time Red arrived, and Lia asked for a lift back to her own horse. Will figured he could call her ‘Lia’ instead of ‘Laelia’ after the way she just rode his shoulder and neck. He could still feel her warmth against his skin, and the flex of her calf in his hand. Once she was settled, he leaned over and handed her the sextant. “That worked quite nicely,” he observed. “Feel free to use me anytime, if you have need, Lia.” His eyes met hers with a sly smile and a nod. He slipped her reins out of the saddle loop and handed them back to her, then motioned that she should go first.

Ladies always should go first, as every man knows. It was the polite thing to do.

b06500

Red wrinkled his nose as he approached the two that had stopped. He had watched as the woman had pulled up to the man and mounted his horse, standing upon it before holding some sort of instrument up to her eye. He wasn't sure if this was some sort of mating ritual, but as he neared them and they addressed him, he could smell the faint hint of arousal. His nose wrinkled again. The woman smelled of sex, with another man whose sent was familiar to Red. She had recently had sex with Holger, it seemed. The man named Will had also been...stimulated by her presence. Perhaps this was her mating dance with the Imperial Man? Red did not know about these sorts of things.

He paused at her question, standing next to her. He let out a soft sigh - though from him it was deep and rumbling. He adjusted his belt, so that nothing terribly sharp would poke her and reached up. His hands circled her just below each breast - hands so large that his thumbs touched below her sternum while his fingers curled around her sides. His arms rippled as he picked her straight up off the horse, holding her at arms length as if she weighed nothing. She probably weighed less than that giant axe at his hip.

He took a step towards her horse and turned her, bending one arm in while the other remained extended. He plopped her down in her saddle - gently, as if she might break. His hands released her and dropped back to his sides, his brows furrowing as he waited for her to adjust herself and get moving on the trail once more. For thanks, her horse kicked up a dust cloud as it moved away from him and Red allowed some distance to grow before starting a long his way once more.

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Riot." She said in a friendly tone even as she was obviously focused on the task at hand. "Don't worry, you got a great head of hair, I'm sure it'll grow back." She teased, she was being as gentle as she could and his solid steadiness certainly helped and didn't go unnoticed. She liked that in a man, solid and didn't ask too many questions. "Any closer and I'll have to have our interpreter explain jinsia to you." She giggled like a young girl at her own joke, confident the handsome scout had no idea what she was talking about, at least not yet. Contemplating the foreign word in the context of the short stubbed beard on his face and her handful of hair gave her a bit more of a distraction than what was wise at the moment.

Focusing back on the task at hand she finished just in time for Red to catch up to them and give her an easy ride back to her horse. The giant was certainly gentle enough though his lack of a verbal response was a little unsettling to the gregarious map maker. "Don't say much eh, gonna be all body language for us?" She gave him a sly smile just before she was gently put back on her horse. "Hey wait." She said, gripping the strap across his chest as if to stop him but was more likely to have him drag her off her horse. But she stayed mounted long enough to lean towards him and give him a peck on the cheek. "Thank you my strong silent friend." She said before spurring her horse to catch up with the other girls, unaware of the dust she had kicked up in her benefactor's face. She gave Will a friendly nod as he allowed her to go ahead.

untitled.jpg

Jinsia. He’d have to ask Sabrina what that word meant later.

Will scowled briefly when the Red Giant was given a kiss for his effort, and all the scout was given was, well, a nod of thanks, and rigid discomfort that would take a while to go away. “Can’t win them all,” he muttered. Then he glanced at the Huge One and remarked “She seems to like you, anyway.” He nudged his horse into a walk to follow, knowing that the giant would be a better rear guard than he would be.

He wove his horse to the left of Lia’s, calling out “Excuse us,” as he passed. Next he came upon Karin and Sabine, who were clustered together and chatting. “Pardon, ladies,” he said to them. “On your left, please.” He waited for them to move aside so he could squeeze his mount past the two, giving them each a friendly nod as he did.

Eventually he made it to their leader’s horse. As he approached, Will raised his voice enough to be heard but not enough to call undue attention to their movement. Though, truly, who could miss the cloud of dust from the soldier’s feet ahead of them?

“Good Captain,” he greeted as he drew near enough to be heard. “If you have a few moments,” he grinned, knowing that they had a lot of ‘moments’ between now and when they reached the Outpost, “I’d like to better understand how I can best serve you in this expedition. Is now a bad time to talk, Boss?”

F1F1D4

Holger's attention was to the front. He had been briefed on the three-day trip to cross the Sea of Grass. There were two stations along the way - a day apart and a day from either end - that had water barrels and a few other supplies, along with a cleared area for camping. They were mostly maintained, given their locations and the lack of water available in the Sea of Grass. He was doing his best to avoid the cloud of dust the troopers ahead of him were creating - hanging back just far enough that the wing was taking it just ahead of him, blowing it to the south. Of course, where the path twisted and turned, it occasionally meant it was blown directly at him.

He was unaware of the brief hold up in the rear, but soon heard the clop of hooves moving up the side, approaching him. He reined in his horse, creating more distance as the scout rode up to him. "As good a time as any." He responds. "And don't call me Boss." He growled. He had told them what they could call him during his 'speech'. He hated the term. He was no slave-driver or arena-leader.

"Your duty is a Scout, to find us the...easiest way through things." He cast a glance back behind them. The women were always a concern. None of them were military or seemed to have any of that sort of experience. They would have to keep that in mind when path finding. "You can relax for the next few days. We have the soldiers with us and we're heading along this dirt path to the Outpost. We'll go over our equipment and spend a night there but in the morning, well, thats when the fun begins. You take your orders from me and no one else. Understand?"

"I beg your pardon, Karin," Sabina replied, noting that the healer giggled and rolled her eyes at the error. "Thank you for your input. As you said, some of these plants are lethal simply by touching them. Since the bitter scent is so strong, there could be large quantities nearby. Perhaps I should warn the leader..."

She paused, her eyes adjusting to a dark cluster only a few yards off the beaten path. Curious, she slowed her horse a bit, digging in her satchel and finding a small spyglass that her father had gifted her with on her 16th birthday. When most girls received pearls and other jewels, she received tools of learning, something for which she would forever be grateful.

"A gentle breeze lifted red tendrils from her braid and swept them into a gentle halo, and she lifted her spyglass to her eye and twisted it until the green came into focus. "Hmm..." she mumbled, leaning forward to help the glass do its work. A chuckle bubbled from her mouth, her husky voice echoing around them. "Well, it isn't lethal after all." Years ago, the Empire eradicated that plant from its borders because leaders said it was dangerous to humans. However, she had seen that leaf before, when her father and she journeyed through Kovachevitsa. It was sinsemilla, an herb that is a hallucinogen when smoked.

"Some of this could be valuable if we meet tribes that practice gifting rites," she pondered aloud as she nibbled her bottom lip and closed the spyglass, slipping it back into her satchel. She sensed the giant walking up behind her, and she turned when he stopped, clearly not leaving her behind. Sabina studied the man, noting his large form and giant-like features. He reminded her of the people of a small clan she'd encountered when she was a little girl, but she'd heard they'd been massacred by invading peoples not long after she and her father left them. Perhaps Red was one who had escaped death.

Looking into his serious face, Sabina spoke gently, "Hello, I'm Sabina. Thank you for keeping guard behind us." When he didn't respond, she placed both of her hands together in the traditional greeting of the clan she'd known, then she twisted her right hand, her left tapping her right forearm three times as she said in a deep growl, "Litumeliso. Na ke uena eo ke nahanang hore u teng?"

Last edited:
untitled.jpg

No calling him ‘Boss’. Got it. Will nodded and matched his horse's pace to Grimsson’s as he listened to the Captain relaying his expectations. For the scout, having a clear understanding of what was desired made life easier and avoided some of the misunderstandings that could lead to the feeling of disrespect or disobedience; two things that he found those in military standing did not appreciate.

“Hmm,” he mused. “So about three days in the company of the soldiers, and then we lose them at the Outpost? I’m assuming that we lose our lovely mounts as well, according to your morning briefing.” He looked over at their leader, now finally able to take a good assessment of him that the women were apart from them. It was apparent that though Grimsson had seen a few years more than Will had, he was still a strong and healthy man, with wisdom and experience burning behind his eyes. He hadn’t reached the rank of Captain by buying it, like many men of his rank had, but had earned every step along the way. The scout’s respect and confidence in who was leading them had improved significantly since that morning.

“You take your orders from me and no one else. Understand?" The Captain asked.

“Of course,” Will agreed. “To clarify, do you mean that I’m not to do anything that our lovely party members request, or do you mean that as long as nothing they need contradicts your orders?” He gave his leader and open look. Whether or not he could once again assist the lovely cartographer in her need to take readings was at stake, as well as his understanding of whether or not the captain wanted him to prioritize him above the others. That much was fine; he never doubted who was in charge.

Once he understood clearly what their leader wanted, he rode quietly at his heel for a long time, until another thought came to mind. He was never the chatty type normally. But then again, aside from his time serving the troops as a military scout, he normally worked alone and could make his own decisions about which way they would go.

“Sir?” He nudged his horse closer to avoid having to shout. “Once we get to the outposts we have a few options to explore. Across the rocks and trees further East, or deeper into the grasslands to the North or South. Do you have a preference?”

Behind them he could hear the feminine murmurings of the rest of their party. It seemed the friendships were quickly being built, and hopefully would continue throughout their journey. There was very little worse than being in the company of women who did not get along.

F1F1D4

Holger had indeed been part of a unique unit, with a unique structure - not being of the Empire, things had applied differently to him. There would be a plot of land to work and official citizenship in the Empire once the Legion had flushed him out, but in his line of work that wasn't very likely. He longed to return to his home islands, of course, so maybe if he lived long enough he would be able to do that - settle down with a fine Northern Woman, raise a family, and go back to the Old Ways.

Holger frowned, though, as Will saddled up closer to him. Holger rested his hand on the hilt of his blade. Will Riot had certainly never been across the Sea of Grass. Nor had he had any sort of briefing before hand, about what he was doing. "And how have you come by this information? For some one who has never been to the Outpost, you seem to be privy to information you shouldn't be aware of..." A simple flick and nudge, and Holgers horse was riding shoulder to shoulder with Will Riots, Holgers leg just behind his. That wickedly curved hunting knife was out, resting along Wills thigh, its point against his stomach in a flash.

Holger used his body to mask the movement from those behind him. He had been made aware that others would oppose this exploration. Certain parties were opposed to change - like those who held power in New Haven. A greater Empire or Guild influence in the City would turn their fortunes. Holger had been warned that some one might try to sabotage the expedition. It sounded like that person had just revealed their hand.

Even so, the man was misinformed. They were passing East, through the grasslands. They did not extend to the North and South around the Outpost. No, the Grasslands would be to their west. Whatever information he had was outdated and misinformed.

"...so explain yourself, before I gut you where you sit." He hisses, his voice full of venom and violence. Even if Will managed to save himself, there were a Dozen soldiers on horses he'd have to deal with - not to mention the Half Giant named Red coming up behind them.

b06500

Red inhaled as her saw another woman dropping back from the back, intent on engaging with him. This one, however, seemed to have lost her marbles and they had only just started. Perhaps she had lost her marbles before they had even embarked on the journey. He had encountered many a mad-man in his lifetime. Sometimes it was too much sun. Sometimes it was from drinking salt water. Other times it was from taking a knock on the head. Or because they were on some form of drug. As far as he could tell, this woman suffered from none of those symptons. He supposed some people were just born crazy.

She looked at him then made a motion with her hands before speaking in some garbled tongue that made no sense to him. His eyes blinked once at her and he let out another sigh. He reached out and slapped her horse on its rear, causing it to dart forward and start back into motion. It kicked more dirt up into his face. If people kept dropping back to engage with him, he might start eating their horses and make them walk the rest of the way, so they wouldn't keep covering him in dust!

untitled.jpg

"And how have you come by this information? For some one who has never been to the Outpost, you seem to be privy to information you shouldn't be aware of..." Suddenly the Captain was beside him, his leg tucked behind Will’s and holding his horse in check. And then, the knife. "...so explain yourself, before I gut you where you sit." He hisses, his voice full of venom and violence.

Will let out a slow breath between his lips, slowly raising his hands off his reins an inch to indicate he wasn’t about to try to flee. “Captain, there is no need for that,” he said, canting his head slightly to indicate the knife that was threatening his belly. “I assure you, I am your man. I’m a scout, a tracker by trade; not just of things and people, but information. And though I’ve never seen the Outpost myself, it seemed, eh…” a jostling from his horse pressed the tip nearer his beloved skin, “prudent, Sir, to learn as much as I could from those who have.” His eyes widened slightly at the last word.

He smiled at the man holding his life in that curved blade. “People talk when they drink. I listen. Besides, if I meant you harm, wouldn’t I have been better served by not asking you these questions?”

“Now please,” he said, looking at the eyes of the man beside him. So much violence and distrust…he must have been betrayed at least once. “I am a much better scout with my entrails inside my body.”

There was nothing he could have done, had he wanted to. The women were, as far as he knew, hopeless when it came to things of violence. No doubt Red was loyal, as were the soldiers, and to take his changes across the pathless grasslands was suicide. There was no profit in doing anything but waiting on the decision of their leader. Despite the pounding in Will’s chest, he knew that the best thing he could do was wait, and hope that somehow his words had made an impact on the Captain.

F1F1D4

Holger ground his teeth. It was a bad habit he had grown into when contemplating the death of a person. He didn't think he ground his teeth in combat, but when it came to executing some one - he found himself grounding his teeth. He had grown past the stage where he would simply cut and not ask questions, so he let the man speak and defend himself. Holgers eyes tightened as he contemplated the mans words.

He flicked his wrist, the blade reversing, pressing along his forearm, its bend matching that in his elbow, before he deftly sheathed it again. Its angle increased its reach, often catching foes off guard as most were accustomed to straight blades. It allowed him to hook over shields and was generally very useful. It was quite good at gutting a man as well and tended to slice through things and not get caught in bone.

"I'll have my eye on you, William Riot." He eventually says. "Tread lightly and prove yourself, and you may make it back alive." He leans over the other side of his horse, spitting down onto the ground. "But I'll be watching your every move." He finishes, spurring his horse forward, virtually barging Wills off the path slightly. He closed the gap that had developed with the Soldiers ahead of them, glancing back to make sure the rest were still in line and following.

untitled.jpg

There was no answer from his Captain. No nod, or word of assent. Just a flicking of his thick wrist, and then the blade was gone. Expertly sheathed in a swift, smooth move that echoed years of skilled practice and familiarity. This man was no slouch, and he had just spared Will to live another day.

"I'll have my eye on you, William Riot." He eventually says. "Tread lightly and prove yourself, and you may make it back alive." He leans over the other side of his horse, spitting down onto the ground. "But I'll be watching your every move." He finishes, spurring his horse forward, virtually barging Wills off the path slightly.

“Yes Sir,” he said, surprised his voice still worked. As he watched their commander leaving him behind, he drew in a breath and felt the rushing of his heartbeat in his veins. That had been the closest he had been to death in a long time, and it wasn’t a feeling he relished. But now he knew that there were some things about the expedition the people were not supposed to know, and that their Captain had his own demons to battle. Will moved his horse back to the path, letting it saunter along at its own pace. By now they had traveled long enough that the spring in the thing’s step had eased into a steady roll, and it seemed to understand that this journey was not going to be a short sprint.

Behind him, Karim and Laelia (or Lia, now that they were friends), rode close enough to engage in a conversation, though Will felt the dryness in his mouth at his near-death encounter. He took a drink from a water flask, swishing it about before swallowing. And though he felt quite drained he only allowed himself a couple more swallows before capping the flask and putting it away.

The horse seemed to know its way down the path. Just follow the others. The captain also had said that he could relax for the next few days, so he decided it might be a good time for a nap. Drawing his hood up to shield most of his face from the sun, he leaned back against the tent and blanket rolls, and crossed his arms across his still intact abdomen. The horse’s movement gently lulled him with every step.

As he started to drift off, he realized that the Captain never did answer the clarifying question he asked. Was he allowed to assist the others, if it did not contradict an order from their leader? Or was he required to only follow instructions given him by Grimsson? Will sighed and decided that he would wait to find that answer out later. Much later.

Sabina knew as soon as she'd finished greeting the giant and asking him if he was one of the Ohtoses clan that he wasn't amused. He blinked his big eyes and let out a sigh of pure frustration and, without a sound, slapped her horse on its rump. She squeaked in surprise, calling out to her mount, "Nyugodj, fiú. Lassú nekem," in the native tongue of the Hyssuken people, simultaneously pulling on the reigns and maneuvering her body to slow the steed. She'd recognized the breed of horse when she first saw them, for their gleaming coats had a decided pearly sheen that was native to Hyssuke horses. The animal calmed and slowed to an easy trot, a cloud of dust in her wake.

"Sorry about the dust," she called out to Red, even though he didn't acknowledge her and he had created the cloud by making her horse bolt.

She laughed softly, thinking about his reaction to her attempts at conversation. His expression was that of a person who had an ant crawling in his trousers. Her laughter at the image bordered on giggles, and she covered her mouth to disguise her merriment.

Red had not responded verbally to her words in Common Tongue, but he undoubtedly understood them. She'd known many students in her father's language classes who could read and write a language but not speak it, so partial use of a tongue was not impossible. She furrowed her brow as she rode along, allowing her horse to follow the others at a steady pace and listening to Red's footsteps on the path behind her. He clearly didn't understand the Ohtoses language, so she could strike that from her list. What else might he speak? She mentally ticked off several other tongues that were most common among small indigenous tribes in the recesses of the Karmeim islands in the south, enjoying the challenge of figuring out the creature's native tongue.

Creature...she thought. Perhaps he is a being that is not a human giant, but another species altogether. Her eyes lit with excitement at the idea of meeting such a being, but she held herself in check. She had no way of verifying this theory, and she certainly didn't want to incur Red's wrath with rude questions. However, her curiosity was piqued, and she made a mental list of other languages to try out on him.

Last edited:
40E0D0

The rolling nature of the terrain made it very off-setting, one rise looking like the next. With the meandering path they were following, it never looked like they had actually gone anywhere, with no landmarks to base things off once the last view of New Haven passed into the background.

The tall blades of grassed danced in the wind, rustling against each other, offering a backdrop of white noise over the steady clop of the horses hooves, the jangle of their bridles, the jingle of equipment.

They were left to their own thoughts and conversations. They stopped around midday to eat and let the horses rest, the passage of time marked by the position of the sun overhead. The area they breaked in was just off to the side of the path they followed, an area of trampled grass radiating out in a circular motion. They were warned not to wander off into the grass, using the other side to relieve themselves, as needed.

After the break, their journey continued. You might almost get the sense of roads traveled as the expanse of grass continued, no changes on the horizon. But now the sun was at their backs, setting on the land they new as they face land they did not.

An hour before darkness settled, they reached the campsite for the night.

A large area had been cleared of grass, the earth churned down to dirt and packed down. A berm of dirt encircled the encampment, the outside of it turned into a small channel from where the dirt had been dug up - a small earth rampart, if you will. The grass was otherwise cut down for about 20 yards around the encampment. A
wooden barricade of spikes, points facing outwards, sat in the ditch ringing the earth embankment. The top of the embankment - probably two feet taller than the rest of the place - was packed flat, footprints in the dirt suggesting it was patrolled by the soldiers at night.

Two wagons were stationed in the cleared area. One was reinforced with metal on its outside, the wagon bed itself a large container. It sat on four wheels and was one of the Legions interesting inventions - a water wagon. Its inside was filled with water and it had a cap like a barrel in order to pour the water from it. The second wagon was on two wheels, its bed placed down on the ground. It was wrapped in canvas which, when pulled back, revealed supplies - shovels, hammers, scythes, and other tools useful for the area, but expendable and left behind.

The soldiers took up one half of the clearing, setting up their two man tents. in two neat rows of 6. They tethered their horses to the fence that went down the middle of the enclosure, furthest from the outside edges. They spread hay down for the horses to eat from. There was plenty of room for the Party to tether their horses to the line.

Three canvas tents were set aside for the party, that their pack horse had carried. The soldiers went about setting up a fire with the wood they had packed in, in order to cook the evening meal even as darkness fell.

=-=-=

F1F1D4

Holger gladly hopped out of the saddle and assembled his tent. Like the others, it had a low profile - the sort of tent you crawled into. But it did close at either end, the flaps able to be drawn closed and tied together. He slid his bedroll onto one side of the tent. That left two tents for the other four people - unless one chose to get comfortable with their leader that night. If Red had wanted to sleep in a tent, Holger wasn't sure the big man would fit - either length wise or his huge size.

He stretched once it was all set, sore from the ride. He hated horses. The soldiers huddled around the fire, which was set in a hole that had been dug into the ground, to keep it out of the wind. It wasn't remarkably windy as of yet, but apparently the wind could howl all night.

A pot of stew was set to cooking, bowls and bread passed out equally among all. As things settled down, Holger walked past the tents and stepped up onto the embankment, away from every one else, peering out into the darkness as the stars started to twinkly overhead.

"Köszönöm, hogy erős vagy nekem ma. Ma este jól pihenj, mert a holnap újabb hosszú nap lesz," the young woman spoke to her horse as she lifted the heavy saddle from his back. She rubbed him down with brushes that she found in the supply wagon, murmuring words of gratitude for his hard work and gentleness. When she finished, she affectionately rubbed his ears and left, carrying her belongings with her.

She spied the three small tents not surrounded by soldiers and noted that the leader had already put his bedroll into one. Instinctively, she turned to another, sliding her bedroll into the one at the end of the line, leaving the center tent empty. She neatly stacked her satchels and canteen against the inner flap, and she removed her cloak, folding it and placing it on top of the pile. The woman didn't care which of her traveling companions bunked with her. She knew she would sleep hard after a long day in the saddle.

Free of her burdens, Sabina stretched her muscles, glad to be on her own two feet again. Although she rode often, spending all day in the saddle was difficult on the body, and she was happy to be able to move. After performing a series of exaggerated movements, she felt limber again and decided to take a brisk walk around the campsite. She nodded as she rambled past a group of soldiers, but she ignored a couple of their calls to join them, quickening her pace until she neared the wagons. Having already visited the supply wagon, she studied the one reinforced with metal and poured for herself a cupful of cool water, drinking deeply. She made a mental note to refill her canteen in the morning, and she continued on her journey until she arrived at the fire where bowls of hearty stew and bread were being distributed.

Accepting her dinner, she found a spot at the edge of the firelight, away from the chattering and conversation among soldiers and her partners in the Expedition. She'd had more chit-chat conversations in one day than she'd had in weeks, and she needed some solitude and quiet. As she watched the others interact, she wondered at her own strange need for silence. She enjoyed meaningful conversations that communicated important information, which is why her father had often relied on her to smooth things over with various peoples when he or his colleagues inadvertently insulted them by misusing a word or expression. For those situations, purposeful diction choices were essential, and he'd always said she had a knack for it. Idle conversation, however, wasn't her strong point.

When she'd eaten her fill, she still had a small portion of bread and some stew left over. She didn't want to waste the food, especially since she knew it might be scarce when they were no longer with the soldiers, so she glanced around and spied Red, also sitting alone. Everyone had been given equal portions of the stew and bread, and since he was larger than any of them and had walked the entire day, there was no way one small bowl and chunk of brown bread would be enough. She stood, ambling over to the giant and holding her bowl and bread out to him.

"Would you like the rest of mine?" she asked in her husky voice, her eyes searching his face for movement or signs of understanding. He didn't give any indication that he understood her, nor did he move to take the proffered food, but she saw that he had finished his supper and still held his empty bowl, so she placed her bowl and bread beside him. "I'll leave these for for you. If you don't want them, just leave them here, and I will pick them up later."

Sabina returned the tent area for her canteen and a small pouch from her satchel. She found a secluded spot to tend to her personal needs, and then she poured some of the water from the canteen into her hands and washing them with a pinch of crush yucca root. Next she lathered her face and neck with the suds produced from the root, rinsing away some of the dust of the day. Although it wasn't the same as a bath, she felt better about settling in for the night. Returning to the tent, she sat on the outside of the temporary structure and sat with the manuscript her father had written. Her gentle fingers brushed the pages with care as she skimmed his writing, remembering the many lessons he'd taught her. She looked up from her reading when she heard footsteps approaching, and she smiled softly as Will walked toward the tents.

Last edited:
untitled.jpg

The party grew less chatty as their first leg of the journey from New Haven to the Outpost continued. At the first break point it seemed that most were content to mill about, take care of their personal needs, and simply be out of the saddle for the brief reprieve they were given. The Captain kept their break short, as if he knew the distance they had yet to travel would be great, and he was right. They reached the first campsite much later than profitable, sparing little time to rush to put their tents together and set up camp before darkness fell. From the looks of the campsite, a veritable fortress in itself, they might have something to fear from the Grasslands.

Will was glad for the presence of the many soldiers. For tonight and the next two nights, their tiny party had the benefit of many men to ward off the dangers of the wilds. Once the expedition set off on their own it would leave just three men and three women. Four men, if you counted Red twice. From what the scout could tell, the Huge One would be a great ally to have in a fight. He should be counted twice.

The scout walked his horse to the line and tethered her lead, tying it in a slipknot lest she need to flee. Then he removed the bridle from her head, leaving her in halter alone. The bit, in his opinion, was overkill. If they needed to bolt a halter would be enough. He hung the headstall over the saddle horn, then loosened the girth two holes. Enough to let her rest; not enough to make it fall. There was no need in his mind to brush the lady out; in two days’ time she’d be put to work for the Outpost. He only needed her until then. Once she was handed off, she would be another man’s concern.

He filled his empty water flasks and left all but one in the saddle bags. If he had to worry about theft in camp like this, he would be surprised. Everyone here worked for the same employer, the Guild. Everyone here was accountable to Grimsson, and Will doubted he tolerated crime of any kind.

Their leader ate alone. Will noticed that their linguist did as well. It seemed strange; she specialized in languages, but it seemed she was not curious of what was said, as much as how it was said. He would have to ask her about that word later. Jinsia.

The scout accepted his share of food and sat nearer the soldiers, hoping to pick up information drifting on the air. He made it a point to appear to watch the women, examine his stew thoroughly, and ‘ignore’ their talk, though the wolf-whistles at Sabina did catch his attention. Even more interesting was her reaction to their calls. Thankfully it seemed that no one was going to force their invitation. With slavery a common thing, and the wilderness all around, a group like this could quickly deteriorate into a free-for-all, with women and pretty boys the victims to satiate their lust.

Against the darkened sky he saw the linguist move about the camp again, this time going to the giant and speaking with him before giving him the remainder of her food. Off near the tents he watched Lia move to the space near the Red Giant, setting up her bedding on the ground. He grimaced; the winds might pick up later and cause her difficulties, but she had the Huge Wind Block in Red, and would probably be okay.

Will returned to the tents to find Sabina sitting outside, reading from a manuscript. He had changed into clothing that was less gritty from their ride, reluctant to sleep in the grime of the road. He smiled back at the linguist and sat nearby, looking out at the camp. “Sabina, right?” he clarified as he extended a hand to her. “Hey, our cartographer,” he nodded towards the slim girl sleeping by the giant, “told me that I should learn a new word. Jinsia?” He frowned. “She said you could explain it to me.”

Last edited:
The rest of the day's journey was fairly uneventful for Lia, she took several more readings along the way, jotting down little notes on scraps of parchment and tucking them away into her vest for safe keeping. She used what help was available from the others to get where she had to be to take her sightings of the sun. In between she looked to her compass at regular intervals, noting the amount of variation from due east the road took. The amount of variation would have an impact on the cost of any road the guild or empire might want to build.

She had visited the party herbalist to beg for something to take the edge off her bottom and she was not disappointed. Her pain dulled and her head just a little fuzzy she found herself needing to concentrate a bit more carefully but the trade off was well worth it. There wasn't a lot of time for chit chat and by the time they reached their campsite she was eager for a distraction. She pulled her horse up near the mass of soldiers who had been leading the march all day. She made easy conversation with them, her laugh and her smile and the occasional pose to enhance her various feminine assets proved popular with the "boys" as she called them. She didn't even have to ask for them to remove the saddle and tether the horse, they were practically tripping over themselves to be made useful. Her water skins had been filled and her dinner brought to her as she shared some laughter and good cheer around one of their campfires. She was no fool and knew how depraved such men could get out in the wilderness. But this was just their first night out, the boys were more homesick than anything, missing their girls more than lusting after her. Half of them could most likely still smell their wives, or girlfriends, or for the younger ones their mother's scent. She was merely a reminder of home, another week on the road and she would risk her virtue, such as it was, on a stunt like this.

She was in good spirits as she walked to the side of the small fortress where her party was staked out. It was a clear night and the sunset had suggested it would stay that way. She decided she didn't need a tent this night and would settle the matter of who was sleeping with whom when she needed. She knew red would be far too big to fit in any of these tents, she also figured his proximity would be the safest bet if something happened. It wasn't just his size that reassured her, it was his instinct, an almost feral sense to him that suggested he belonged out here more than the rest of them. Besides, she had talked herself out with the boys and didn't need any more conversation. She kept a respectful distance, but flung her bedroll down on the ground about a half dozen paces from the giant of a man.

She sat down and pulled off her boots, and slipped out of her vest. then rummaged through her sack. She pulled a nightdress from her sack, stood up, and slipped it over her head. Still fully clothed she began to wiggle and squirm within the simple off-white nightdress. Soon her traveling pants fell to the ground at her feet as she stood at the foot of her bedroll. She pulled an arm into the night dress and after a bit of maneuvering, it reappeared but without her shirt sleeve. She did the same with the other until her blouse fell to the ground as well. She folded her traveling clothes into a neat little pillow. With some measure of comfort she collected her little scraps of parchment and recorded some notes into a little book she pulled from her sack. When she was satisfied, she closed the book, wrapped it carefully in an oil cloth that would protect it from the rain and stowed it away. She then looked to the giant. "Sweet dreams." She said with a smile before slipping into her bedroll and fading off to sleep.

Sabina watched as the scout smiled back and sat near her in front of their tents. The campsite was quieting with soldiers setting up watch rotations and other bedding down, Lia choosing to sleep near Red's protection and the leader walking around the embankment and looking at the sky.

"Sabina, right?" he asked, reaching out to shake her hand again. She chuckled low in her throat and nodded, returning the handshake.

"And you're Will Riot," she replied. There was something almost boyish about the man, although she did not doubt his scouting abilities. She'd seen his wariness on the path after she'd dropped behind him and the others, except for the giant. He was nearly as watchful as the leader.

"Hey, our cartographer," he began, motioning to Lia as she lay sleeping a few feet from Red, "told me that I should learn a new word. Jinsia? She said you could explain it to me."

The young woman coughed in surprise, her eyes wide and her face reddening as she looked into his befuddled face. Realizing Will was not in on the joke, she let out a husky laugh that drifted into the night.

"It's a Nubian term," she said, averting her eyes and clearing her throat, trying to figure out a delicate way to explain its meaning, "that essentially means cunnilingus, but there is a bit more to it than that." Her cheeks turned pinker. and she hoped the darkness of the night prevented him from seeing the evidence of her embarrassment. "It's a formal word that is part of a ceremonial practice in Nubia, and not something that considered part of the usual sexual repertoire. The Nubian people copulate for one reason only--to produce offspring. They consider themselves above the need for mundane physical pleasures, so they reserve jinsia, as well as other forms of oral sex and...uhm," she paused, struggling to explain the ceremony without getting too specific, "even foreplay and other sexual acts taboo unless they are participating in Ngono Ya Mdomo, the yearly ceremony I mentioned."

The young woman slipped the manuscript back into her satchel and then reached into her braid and pulled the small dagger and holster from her hair, tucking them into the bag, too. She unbound her fiery fiery hair and ran her fingers over her temples, massaging them. Her long, thick hair often gave her a headache after it had been pulled back too long, and tonight was no exception.

"The ceremony is held on the eve of the Harvest Moon each year, and it is in celebration of the bountiful yields that their crops produced," Sabina explained as she described the bonfires and dances, the brightly colored scarves everyone wore, and the festive atmosphere involved. "The night is one of pleasure for everyone. Even though children do not participate, of course, they are given sweet treats and goodies as part of their celebration. The adults, however, participate in more decadent delights. It truly is an interesting sight," she admitted, her words indicating that she had witnessed the event.

Sabina's gaze darted to Lia's sleeping for in the distance and then was directed at Will, her eyes twinkling in laughter. "For Lia to mentioned jinsia to you, that must have been some conversation!" she chuckled, her face lighting up with laughter. But then she caught sight of Grimsson's tent, and her visage became serious again and she opened her mouth to speak, but she squelched the warning that Lia and the leader seemed to share a history. She had no right to talk about other people in their group, and she certainly had no proof except assumptions based on body language. Instead, she smiled and pulled the dagger out of her boot before tugging off both of the thigh-high leather boots. She stretched her slender legs out in front of her, stretching and wiggling her toes beneath her stockings, happy to be free of some of her confinements if only for a few hours.

Last edited:
b06500

Red looked like it took him two scoops to finish their stew offered his way. His large eyes watched the girl approach him, offering him a share of her food. Once she scurried off, he approached her bowl and emptied its contents into his own, before drinking from it as before. He would eat a horse later, he reasoned. He left large foot prints in the hard packed dirt and didn't dare stand on the berm that had been erected, for fear of causing its collapse.

The groups all began to settle down to sleep and Red moved back towards the path they had come, his eyes tensing as he strained them into the darkness.

The wind picked up, suddenly. Loose dirt flung up and stunned eyes. It was a constant wind, flattening the grass in one direction. The canvas tents rippled in the wind and Lia especially was battered, having not settled down in a tent. Anything not pegged down to the ground threatened to be blown away. The horses all snickered, shifting, presenting their asses to the wind to protect themselves from it. Even the fire in its pit flickered as the flames danced, before being snuffed out.

Despite the darkness, a thick mist filtered in, from ground to the tops of the long grass, moving on its own accord, despite the fierce wind that blew. It seemed to surround them. Red felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

BOOM...BOOM...BOOM. The steady crack of noise came down the path, from the direction they had traveled. The moonlight seemed to shine bright and an old woman wandered out of the mist. She was stooped over, nearly in half, leaning heavily on a staff. Every step, every contact the staff made with the ground, echoed the boom from the contact. Lightning crackled with each contact, leaving a circular scorch mark on the ground.

"Eg songane søkte," She sang, her voice that of a young woman. "Eg songane sende, då den djupaste brunni, gav meg dråpar så ramme, av Valfaders pant. Alt veit eg Odin, kvar du auge løynde. Kven skal synge meg, i daudsvevna slynge meg, når eg helvegen går, og dei spora eg trår, er kalde, så kalde. Årle ell i dagars hell, enn veit ravnen om eg fell. Når du ved helgrindi står, og når du laus deg må rive, skal eg fylgje deg, yver gjallarbrui med min song."

The soldiers faces blanched at her sight, one man screaming, throwing down his weapon before running East, down the trail yet trodden, disappearing into the mist before anyone could stop him.

"Du blir løyst frå banda som bind deg." A deep, booming voice answered the womans. It took a moment, but then Red stepped out onto the path behind the woman. "Du er løyst frå banda som batt deg." He answered.

With all eyes on the old woman, Red had taken his top cover off, leaving wearing naught but his kilt. His upper garment revealed a deep secret. A pattern of scars, all an inch long and straight, covered his chest. They followed the semi circle his collar bones formed, row after row of scars, from shoulder to shoulder. The last row was just above his nipples. And on his right arm, a series of similar sized scars stood out, these ones in the shape of an X. There were 3 rows of these, each 10 across, with two X's on the fourth row, halfway down his bicep.

He stared after the woman, even as she stepped into the fog, only the BOOM...BOOM...BOOM of her staff could be heard, until that too faded into nothing.

Red breathed heavily, staring after her, before turning and calmly walking over to his discarded clothes and weapons. He dressed and armed himself once more then returned to the pathway. He reached into a pouch at his hip, and it rattled as he rummaged in it. He pulled his hand out and caste the bones marked with runes he held in them, watching as they fell across the pathway.

Apart from the scorch marks in the dirt, there was no other sign of the Old Woman.

No one can speak this language.
I do not speak Old Norse, so we'll see where this head!
The song this is based off:

Nubians. He had heard about them only vaguely; the kingdom and most of its people were a mystery to the scout. He nodded as she spoke, rolling the word ‘cunnilingus’ on his tongue as he worked to remember the term. “Cunnilingus, cunniling—oh!” he glanced at her. What more could it mean than just the tasty treat? But as the linguist continued to explain the term, her education showing, he took it in like a sponge.

“For one purpose only? That’s boring,” he had replied. Then he repeated the name of the ceremony, Ngono Ya Mdomo, to lock it in his mind. “I guess everyone celebrates their birthday on the same day, too?” he asked with a grin. One day for fucking, and then a long dry spell. How could anyone concentrate with that much blockage going on?

He watched as her hair came unbound, a thick cascade of flame. As she worked her fingers through the strands he admired the length and thickness of it, wondering how long it took her to wash the mass she had been blessed with. And of course, the questions arose; was she a real redhead? If they were Nubians he would only have one day a year to know for sure. And if that day should come with her monthly issue…well. That would certainly be one reason to try to appease whatever gods the Nubians worshipped.

“It sounds like harvest time is the best time to be a tourist in Nubia then,” he observed. He stretched a long leg before him on the ground, thankful to no longer be in the saddle. “It was an interesting conversation. She was trying to get a reading for her map and was straddled…” he paused, “let’s just say, we were very close, and she mentioned that if we had been any closer, she’d have to explain that word to me.” He leaned back on his elbows and sighed. “But I like your explanation. It opens up more of the world, which is something I want to see—”

The wind picked up suddenly. Violently. Sand whirled about, stinging their eyes, and Will put up an arm to block it to no avail. “Get in!” he called to Sabina as he pushed her into her tent. THe crawled in after her, surmising that their combined weight in the tent might keep it from blowing away. He was nearly on top of her, the hard body beneath his tunic pressing her to the floor. One arm wrapped protectively around her shoulders as the walls of the tent shook in the maelstrom. The poles vibrated fiercely, the ropes came off their ties, and all around them it felt like the camp was flying to pieces.

Then the sounds came, despite the howl of the storm. BOOM...BOOM...BOOM…A steady beat that reverberated in their chests. Will turned his head towards the opening, his arm coming up off Sabina’s chest as he looked. “What, in the world…”

Then the singing started, in a language he’d never heard, and the voice was young, and sweet, and sad. Will turned to Sabine and asked if she was okay, then moved forward to peek out of the flap. The world was enshrouded in mist, yet the moon somehow lit the sky. A woman was crawling out, every evidence pointing to ‘witch’. The sight of her staff, and the lighting that emanated from it sent a chill down the scout’s spine.

Then…the Giant. Red’s scars were evident in the light, and the patterns and orderliness of them indicated that they were purposeful. He faced off with the woman, whose voice didn’t match her appearance, and then he spoke. His voice was like thunder, booming across the fields. When the Giant’s voice ended, the woman walked away, taking her BOOM stick with her. Will turned to Sabina. “Did you know he could talk?” he asked, still in wonderment over what they had seen.

A final glance back caught the sight of the Huge One casting bones. It seemed he could do more than fight.

Back
Top Bottom