Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Into the Unknown (Fantasy/NSFW) Main Thread

“For one purpose only? That’s boring,” he had replied. Then he repeated the name of the ceremony, Ngono Ya Mdomo, to lock it in his mind. “I guess everyone celebrates their birthday on the same day, too?”

Sabina laughed at his horrified expression, the sound bursting from her lips from deep within her, rolling around them like a warm blanket. Mirth painted smile lines on her unmarred face, and her eyes twinkled with laughter as she bent over, holding her sides. When she finally could speak, her voice was light and airy but tinged with its usual huskiness, "You misunderstand, Will. They...have sex any time they want, but it's only...uhm...the kind that could produce babies. They save all of the other stuff for Ngono Ya Mdomo." She wiped tears of humor from her cheeks and chuckled again.

“It sounds like harvest time is the best time to be a tourist in Nubia then,” he observed. She smiled when he stretched his long legs out beside hers, and they relaxed against the tent.

She nodded, agreeing, "Yes, it was definitely a spectacle. I was young, sixteen or so, when my father and I studied their language. We'd heard whisperings about an impending celebration, but we didn't know what it was because they guarded their words around us. However, one of the village chief's sons took a liking to my red hair, and he approached my father about me participating in the ceremony with him. My father asked him to explain the ceremony, and he was both curious about the proceedings and horrified about the idea of me participating, naturally."

She grinned, remembering how her father yelled at the young man and sent him from their campsite. The chief had arrived that evening to explain that it was a great honor for an untried woman to be invited to the ceremony, and his son had meant no disrespect. Usually, just married women and village prostitutes participated because the men wanted women who knew their way around a man's body and could bring him maximum pleasure.

"So, I celebrated the Harvest Moon with sweet treats like the other children, but the adults did not hide their actions behind the cloak of night," she explained, "so we all witnessed a lot."

A companionable silence settled around them, and Sabina thought about the graphic images she'd seen during the celebration. Although she had not physically lost her innocence during Ngono Ya Mdomo that autumn, she'd learned much more than most girls knew at that age, even if they had lain with a man.

“It was an interesting conversation. She was trying to get a reading for her map and was straddled…," Will paused, explaining how Lia had mentioned jinsia to him, “let’s just say, we were very close, and she mentioned that if we had been any closer, she’d have to explain that word to me.” He leaned back on his elbows and sighed. “But I like your explanation. It opens up more of the world, which is something I want to see—”

The wind picked up suddenly, whipping them with dirt and pebbles. Sabina closed her eyes, covering her face with her arms and turned to face the tent when she felt Will push her into the small structure as he yelled, "Get in!"

She obeyed, crawling into the small tent with him on her heels. There was no room to stand or even sit completely upright, so they lay stretched out, his heavy body pressing down on hers. She barely noticed, though, her mind focused on the sudden storm, and she gasped against his chest when the raucous winds beat the tent, shaking the poles and yanking at its ties. Sabina felt Will wrap his arms around her shoulders in a protective move as the sides and bottom of the tent seemed to lift.

Through the chaos a rumbling beat drummed--BOOM...BOOM...BOOM. The girl felt it from the tips of her toes and through her bones, and she felt as though static electricity shot from her hair. Will turned to look through the opening, releasing her from his tight hold.

“What, in the world…” he trailed off, and Sabina's eyes widened as a sad, sweet voice of a young woman began to sing, its tongue foreign and melodic. She nodded when Will asked if she was okay, and then she scurried to join him to peer out of the flap.

Mist painted the campsite a mystical gray that glittered in the moonlight, and through it an old woman puttered, her gnarled hands covered in wrinkled, onion-skin flesh gripping a staff that beat out the echoing sound. The tap of the staff burned a circle in the earth, and tendrils of lightening snapped into the sky with each hit. Sabina held her breath, fear tingling down her spine, and she unconsciously pressed closer to Will as she watched, her eyes mesmerized, unblinking as they stared at the woman.

"Du blir løyst frå banda som bind deg," boomed an unfamiliar voice, and the giant stepped onto the path behind the crone."Du er løyst frå banda som batt deg," he intoned again, and Sabina searched the catalogues of her mind for the language but found nothing. She stared at the pattern of scars on his torso, swallowing as she thought of how painful those must have been, but curious as to their meaning. Whatever Red spoke must have been enough, for the woman finally returned into the mist, and all was silent and still.

“Did you know he could talk?” Will asked, looking at her face filled with equal wonder and curiosity.

She shook her head and watched as Red cast bones, swallowing at the implication. He was more than brute strength, and a small smile tugged at her lips. He spoke. Now she just needed to figure out how to get him to talk to her.

Without another glance, she crawled back into the tent and opened her bedroll, yawning as she stretched out. Now that her heartbeat had returned to normal, she was exhausted. "You can bunk here, if you want," she offered Will, hoping he'd agree. Truth be told, the events had terrified her, and having another person nearby would be welcome. "Don't worry. I won't besmirch your honor," she teased, offering a wink at the man before turning on her side and using a satchel as a pillow. In a wink, she had drifted off to slumberland.

Last edited:
Lia was stirred sufficiently awake by the wind to take some precautions against it. After all she had slept in the desert where the wind and sand could conspire to strip flesh from bone. She simply pulled herself deeper into her bedroll, her clothing pillow along with her. She tucked the open mouth of the roll down with her hands and stayed as low as possible. There she may well have passed the night in relative comfort where it not for the more remarkable show to follow. The steady progression of Boom Boom Boom piqued her curiosity. The beat too regular for lightning and too loud to be much of anything else. As she heard the red giant stirring from his own rest the temptation to look around became too great. Staying low she pivoted herself around towards the noise coming from the west, following the same path they had just completed. Peaking out of a small hole in the end of her bedding she peered out her jaw dropping at what she saw.

Where could the old crone have possibly come from? She wondered silently as she noticed the seemingly magical staff scorching the ground as she walked. Though Lia, nor anyone else in the empire had mastered the white hot fire of lightning, she at least understood a few principles of it. Not a believer in magic her mind sought some possible explanation for what she was seeing. She knew of lightning rods used to channel the dangerous fire harmlessly to the ground, and how a ship's rigging could be made to glow with similar brightness during certain storms. It was a neat trick, very impressive she thought to herself, though still her mind puzzled more over the presence of the woman than her magic act. Her song was also a surprise, even if she couldn't understand the words, the melody was beautiful, almost mesmerizing though clearly it had varying affects on the company of soldiers. The voice was most pleasant as well, not what one would expect from the voice of the old crone.

Just as she thought the scene could not be much stranger, the red haired giant joined the show. He seemed to know the crone's language, answering in his own deep voice which challenged the thunder itself for mastery in the night air. He could speak, she noted, though perhaps not their language. She noted the elaborate scars on his body, marveling at his ability to undertake pain. She wondered if he did so willingly or if such acts had been imposed upon him without consent. She thought little of the rolling of bones, barbaric superstitions was all, a vain attempt by those too simple to understand the workings of the world to try and explain it. But as the show settled down, she did the same, soon returning back to her sleep wondering if she would even remember this strange dream when she woke the next morning.

untitled.jpg

The commotion settled, and Sabina seemed content to crawl back to her bedding and sleep, inviting Will to bunk with her. "Don't worry. I won't besmirch your honor," she teased, offering a wink at the man before turning on her side and using a satchel as a pillow.

He chuckled, taking one more look outside and seeing that the chaos was dying down. “It’s not my honor I’m concerned with,” he said, stretching to reach his bag and pull it into the tent with them. “It’s our working relationship.” He slid off his belt and gear, setting them next to the tent wall. “At first it’s all fun and games, but eventually it destroys your ability to make sane decisions in the middle of a battle,” he laid down on his side, one arm tucked beneath his head as he gazed at her outline in the dark.

“The last thing any of us needs…” he murmured, feeling the pull of sleep on his eyes, “is to confuse things by…” he yawned, his voice growing still. Soon he, too, was fast asleep.

40E0D0

The night passed without further incident, the mist disappearing as suddenly as it had arrived, but the wind continued to howl. The soldiers were visibly shaken, sleeping restlessly when they weren't on watch. The wind died down sometime in the night as they slept. Red had read the bones before putting them back into their pouch before taking a position back near the tents. Whether he actually slept or not no one would know, as he was the first to be up and moving around the camp come the morning.

The soldiers chatted among themselves while they made breakfast - oats boiled in water to make a porridge which they shared among all. The horses were tended to, no worse for wear after the events of the night, and the camp was packed up. The burdens of the pack horses were lightened as the missing soldiers horse was used to carry some supplies as well.

With a full day of travel ahead, water was drunk deeply before refilling the waterskins. A mark was made on the water tank, after a soldier tapped on its side until the hollow sound was replaced by a full one, marking the water line and how much had been consumed by the party.

Holger remained quiet, his mind wandering to his own thoughts though he resumed his place at the head of the small party, right up behind the soldiers. The soldiers started moving so he did as well, each step taking them closer to the Outpost across the Sea of Grass.

Shortly before midday, however, the head of the column gave out a cry and diverted from the path, trampling into the grass beside the trail. Holger was called up to the front and kicked his horse forward, telling the rest of the party to hold their position. A short while later, another soldier moved down to the line and called for Will Riot to move to the front.

F1F1D4

Holger had dismounted by the time Will Riot arrived. He squatted down in the middle of the path, eyes looking forward. Before them was the missing soldier - or at least, what remained of him. His uniform and armor was intact, not a mark on it. His body, however, was gone...or at least most of it was. The area around his body was dirt, like the path they walked on, an oval shape around his body where grass would normally have been.

"What do you see, Scout?" Holger asks gruffly.

Option A: Quick Survey
Option B: Thorough Survey
Option C: Thorough Search

In your response, pick an Option and I will reveal the results.

untitled.jpg

It had been the first night in a long time that he had spent the night beside a woman, without having spent part of the night inside her. He couldn’t remember the last time, truthfully, though he thought as he yawned that this was likely the first of many yet to come. The sounds of camp breaking roused him from sleep, and Will carefully crawled out of the tent, easing his bag behind him, and stood to take in the day.

“Mmm,” he thought, “porridge. The breakfast of champions.” Still, it was better than no warm food at all, and once their small party lost the advantage of a large group, they would be lucky to have a heated meal. Soon they were all on their way, the missing soldiers’ horses taking on more of the pack gear, and everyone seeming more solemn after the strange night with the woman, the BOOMing, and the Giant.

Before their break they stopped for a commotion near the front. At Holger’s order Will remained with the others, turning his horse sideways to keep them contained between himself and Red. He looked at the large man. Or…whatever he was. He seemed so quiet, like a gigantic gentle shadow, but last night the man had been the one to send away the ‘witch’. And then there were the throwing of the bones. What had he seen? What had he said? When men spoke as rarely as Red did, one could count on the fact that when he did, it was important.

When the soldier approached and told the scout to move to the front he frowned. There was no trail here to find. Why did they need him up front? But being the man for hire he was, he walked his horse to the front and saw his boss Captain squatting and peering down the road. Before him laid a body.

Or parts thereof.

"What do you see, Scout?" Holger asks gruffly.

Will bit back the urge to say something ‘funny’. Death wasn’t funny, no matter how odd it was. He scanned the area briefly, then his eyes settled on the dead body. Whatever had killed the soldier was still out there, and though they might not encounter it again between now and the Outpost, they might run into it or its kin once alone. He decided to do a thorough survey and see if there were clues for what had killed the man, and how he had been so dismembered in the strange oval clearing and leave his clothing and armor intact.

40E0D0

As Riot put his skills to the test - perhaps in a way never used before - he would notice a few tings.

There were no footprints in the dirt save the Soldiers - spread apart, like he had been running all night until they suddenly stopped where his body lay. There was no sign of the old woman's foot prints or the scorched earth of her staff. There were no other prints of note either, apart from the windswept imprints of horseshoes from days past, barely discernible now. There was no sign of blood or gore either.

His armor and clothing was very much intact, if not a little worn from the dirt blowing against it in the intervening time - a soft shine on metal parts where it had been scoured by the dust and sand.

The more grisly finds, however, lay in the extremities. The mans feet were still in his boots, a swift examination showing the leg had been cut or severed just above the ankle, in line with the tops of the boots. The gloves the man had been wearing were in much the same condition, cut from the rest of his body where the cuffs ended just beyond the wrist. Worst still was the mans head, still in its helmet and coif, eyes wide and white, face in a grimace. There was blood on his lips, but further investigation would have been necessary to find its source.

How the man had died was still a complete mystery.

F1F1D4

Holger watched the scout work and relay his findings, nodding his head. Then he motioned to the soldiers, who used the mans bedroll to gather his clothing and remaining body parts. A grave was dug, the soil loose and easy to dig into. It didn't take very long, brief words by the soldiers to their Gods, before they all mounted and quickly started to move off.

"I want you up front, Riot. Ride out a short ways ahead of the column...fifty yards or so, just don't go out of sight. If you see anything, I want you to raise your hand and I will come up to you. There is clearly...something...that inhabits this Grass. I don't know what it is...or what that apparition was last night. But I get the feeling we may need to be more vigilant than we have been." He paused, looking the man in the eye. "And don't tell the others what we found - just that his body was recovered. I don't want to cause any more panic. Understood?"

Once Will had agreed, Holger trotted his horse off to the side as the column progressed. He waited for Lia to approach before nudging his horse in beside her. "Before you say anything." He cautions her. "I want you to record this...this location. I also want you to document our journey - you seem to have enough ink and parchment with you and I trust that you know how to write and not just draw. We have to keep moving, but do you best to mark this location in relation to where we camped last night. Find me, tonight, once you've figured out the distance and have it marked. Nyah!" He dug his heels into his horses flanks, letting it stretch its legs as it bolted forward, bringing him back to his position behind the Soldiers.

Lia woke to the sound of the camp coming to life. She was an experienced traveler and knew she could be moving fairly quickly so she was in no hurry to get out of the warmth of her bedroll first thing in the morning. If anything she was more curious to exchange notes on the events of the night. Of course the most interesting perspective she wanted was from the man who didn't talk and she had little hope the night's events would loosen his tongue. The fact that the men had been shaken by the previous night's events was nearly palpable. She could hear it in the near silence of the men as they worked to break camp. Morale was a tough thing for men to lose, especially men who might actually hold Lia's life in their hands. If the men needed to stand and fight she couldn't have them break and run. She decided she should do something about that.

She rose out of bed still in her nightshirt. Normally she would have done the reverse of last night, dressing herself within the baggy night shirt then removing it. Instead, without any fanfare, she stripped off the loose night shirt and stood naked as the day she was born. It didn't take long for the men to notice her, a few whistles and shouts and soon most of them paused from their duties and watched her. "Good morning boys." She said with a smile before bending at the waist to retrieve her underwear. It wasn't especially sexy, long cut for riding and adventure more than sex appeal but the thin silk wore well over her hips and ass, her boobs moving heavily as she dressed. She then pulled on her snug leather riding breeches. She exaggerated the snugness of them, bouncing a bit more than necessary to pull them on much to the delight of the gathered men. She pulled her boots on before her top, giving them a last good look at her breasts in motion. Fully dressed below the waist but topless she gave an exaggerated yawn, stretching her arms out wide as she turned herself around so each of them got a full on view of her. "So what's for breakfast boys?" She asked as she finally reached for her blouse and covered herself a bit more then finally her vest which completed her riding outfit.

The thin gruel of boiled oats was disappointing, especially for a first night out but she wasn't about to be the complainer of the group. She took it graciously from the appreciative cooks and had no loss for company as she ate. She was ready quickly, pleased to find her horse already saddled and ready. She gathered her few things and headed out when it was her time. She was satisfied that her little performance but some spine back into the soldiers, though the worried murmurs traveled among the men stalled on the trail as the Captain and Will were called forward in turn. Clearly something was wrong but Lia had no idea as to the gruesome nature of the missing man's death. It would take more than a reverse striptease to make the one's that saw the man's remains forget such a site.

As they began again she was surprised to have Holger come along side of her. She listened to his words and not having her normal perch at her disposal said. "I will need Red's help, but of course." She could of course write, rather well actually, but she didn't care much for it. She had preferred to let her work speak for itself but she already knew she was on thin ice with Holger and knew full well how miserable and dangerous he could make this trip for her. She fell back and looked to Red. "I need a boost?" She told him once she had her equipment ready. As if to accentuate the conversation she pointed to herself and slapped her ass saying "my ass" then pointing at him she slapped her shoulder "on your shoulder." She gave Sabina a wink, "how's that for sign language?"

Sabina heard Will stirring beside her, waking her from a deep, dreamless sleep. She listened to him quietly shuffle out of the tent and take his bag with him before she turned on her back, stretching out her arms and legs in an X formation. She'd slept soundly, last night. If she were honest with herself, she'd slept better than she had in a year, despite the disturbing events of the evening before. The girl shook her head, refusing to go down that path right now. Instead, she dressed for the day and rolled up her bedding before climbing out of the tent. Finally standing upright, she finished her morning chores before heading down to the fire for breakfast.

She ate the porridge without a second thought, hearing catcalls and cheers in the distance. She turned her head to find the reason for the change in atmosphere and chortled when she saw Lia putting on a show for the men. She returned to her breakfast, again losing herself in thought, this time considering the events from the night before, focusing on the language she'd heard Red and the woman utter. She'd picked up on a few words that sounded similar to some of the north-western dialects of the Empire's Common Tongue. If the words were the same, then the journey before them was much more dangerous than she'd realized.

A chill settled around Sabina's shoulders, and she tugged her cloak tighter around her. Standing with the remnants of her large bowl of porridge, she headed over to the giant. She had seen a glimpse of him finishing her stew and bread the previous night, so she would offer the last of her breakfast as well. Just as she had the night before, she placed the bowl down beside him, but this time, she looked into his large eyes, refusing to let nerves overtake her.

"Please eat the rest of the porridge, if you are hungry," she spoke in a clear voice. Her mind flitted to the scars that had glittered in the moonlight, but they were covered once again. "Thank you, Red, for what you did last night." She offered him a shy smile and turned to ready herself for the journey.

As she rode in position, the air was tinged with an ominous gloom, so different from the cautious excitement of the previous morning. Losing a comrade in arms had to be difficult for the soldiers. In silence, she again let her mind drift to the old woman's words and Red's response. She removed a small parchment and pencil from her pack, placing the parchment on the pummel of the saddle and jotting down the four words that were familiar.

Odin
Valfader
Helgrind

gjallarbrui

If memory served her well, then she didn't need to understand the rest of the old woman's words to know that this journey was going to be more than a struggle of mortals against nature. Perhaps, they were going to struggle against powers much larger than they had anticipated. She was grateful, indeed, for Red because if they were to face a foe of gigantic proportions, then they would need a giant of their own to face it.

Suddenly, a cry broke into her reverie, and Sabina pulled on the reigns, whispering, "Állj meg, kedves barátom" to her steed. She watched as their leader broke from the rank and galloped ahead, and then she watched as a soldier retrieved Will and escorted him to the front. Dread tingled down her spine when she saw soldiers gather a bundle and dig into the earth beside the path, burying their burden. She sent a prayer to the heavens, and then spurred her mount when the others began to move. Soon after, Lia pulled back near her and Red and began speaking to the giant, slapping her body to punctuate her words.

"How's that for sign language?" she asked Sabina with a wink, and the linguist smirked, her eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Well, let's just say it is good that you also spoke your question or he might get the idea you want him to toss you over his shoulder and spank your bottom," she replied, continuing, "and as much as playful spanking can be fun, I doubt Red's are gentle."

With a wave and a wish for luck, she clicked her tongue and tapped her horse with her heels, moving to catch up with the others.

Last edited:
untitled.jpg

"I want you up front, Riot. Ride out a short ways ahead of the column...fifty yards or so, just don't go out of sight. If you see anything, I want you to raise your hand and I will come up to you. There is clearly...something...that inhabits this Grass. I don't know what it is...or what that apparition was last night. But I get the feeling we may need to be more vigilant than we have been." He paused, looking the man in the eye. "And don't tell the others what we found - just that his body was recovered. I don't want to cause any more panic. Understood?"

Will Riot nodded his understanding, and when Holger told him not to tell the others, he also understood; others were the women. No doubt Red, with his unique perspective of the world, had seen the goings on in the front of the column. It didn’t matter, though; it seemed Red liked his solitude and Will wasn’t one for idle chatter with other men.

He hadn’t felt too comfortable getting up close and personal with the corpse, but after he agreed to keep his mouth shut about the body and to ride up front, he began to second guess what he thought he saw. He scanned the grass and path beyond, riding ahead of the column and feeling a lot like a worm on a hook, just waiting for the big ol’ bass to come out of nowhere and snatch him off the hook. He let his breath ease out of his lips and calmed his pounding heart. Surely, in the light of day, nothing would attack them…

Would it?

He continued to lead, occasionally pausing to look off to the left or right, enough to see the horizon and ensure he was in sight of the soldiers. If something came to get him like it did their dead comrade, he was certain that a raised hand would only serve to alert those following to take cover and protect themselves. Still…it was generous that their leader had offered the thought that he would ride up himself and see what was needed, or what it was the scout saw.

Riding along, he thought over the things that he had seen. He couldn’t remember some details; for instance, was the place where the flesh ended cut sharp, or was it jagged, as if thousands of tiny mouths had nibbled at the man’s flesh. Was there bone where the body had been eaten away? He had been so astounded by the untouched nature of the clothing and armor that he hadn’t really looked at what ‘wasn’t there’. At first he had thought that a sudden wind or storm might have stripped the man’s flesh away, but that would have left damage on the gear as well…and insects, like a swarm of locusts, would have not only left a few tell-tale bite marks but might have also gotten crushed by the man’s flailing about.

And then there was that strange, oblong clearing around his body, as if some kind of blob had just smashed him to the ground. But there again, the armor and clothing had not shown signs of damage. Will sighed. ‘I should have looked longer,’ he thought to himself. ‘Next time I will.’ Then he shivered at the gruesome sight he had seen and changed his mind. He hoped there were no more ‘next times’. The man had died a horrible, painful death, and he wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

He raised his eyes, scanning the grasslands again, before checking the road before them, then took a moment to take a sip of water before continuing. This was going to be one hell of a journey, and it would give him a lot of interesting stories to tell his children and grandchildren. If, that was, he survived.

40E0D0

The rest of the days journey was uneventful, other than the gusting wind picking up though not quite as powerful as the previous night. The grass weaved and waved as the wind blew over it, making it seem like it was alive. To those paying attention, though, they'd notice things weren't quite normal. There were no birds flying overhead though with no trees around it may make sense. No large game or other animals could be seen either, though one couldn't see anything through the thick, tall grass. Of course, the constant roar of the wind against everything would be distracting enough.

That night, their camp was nearly identical to the first nights, the same sort of structure to it though no crazy mist or Old Woman as the sun sank behind them. It was the same story in the morning as well, the same gruel, but the Soldiers were a little quicker in their movements, eager to get back on the trail as their end destination lay within sight. It was midday when they crested a final rise and could see the outpost in front of them, the grass ending in a barren, rock-strewn tundra.

The dirt path they followed soon clunked underfoot, more rock than dirt. The grass here was short, with shrubs more numerous. Boulders lay strewn about the land and there were vast patches where the stone was bare. The Outpost was not far into this barren tundra.

It sat against one of the larger boulders in the area - about the size of a house. A wooden palisade had been built using the boulder as a wall, with a small tower built on top of the boulder. The wooden palisade also put to use large rocks at its base, with packed earth making the walls thick enough to walk upon. A gate had been fashioned as well, facing East and thus out of the direct and constant wind.

Inside the compound, a stable had been built against one wall, open to the interior. A larger, more substantial building against the boulder that stood three stories tall - the height of the boulder - was the headquarters, with the Outpost commander having his quarters there, along with the mess hall and quarters for the soldiers. A smaller, shorter, circular building made out of local stone was the storehouse. A shack passed as the blacksmith, tasked with maintaining and producing all the tools and weapons for the Outpost.

An empty stall in the stables would serve as their bedding for the night.

F1F1D4

"See to your gear." Holger called out as he dismounted. "Pack light. You have to be able to carry everything you bring along with our supplies. We need to move quickly and lightly - the more ground we cover, the better our results. I've got a meeting with the Commander, but if you need me for anything find me afterwards." He pauses, looking around. "Not like there is anyway to get lost here - and don't even think about leaving the Outpost!"

Quaint and basic, at least they were out of the constant wind for the first time in days.

A tremor of excitement shifted in the air, and Sabina guided her horse slightly to the right of the caravan, the Outpost finally coming into view. After a few days of dusty, tense travel, they finally had arrived at the first major stop in their journey. She guided her steed to follow the others, noting that despite its seeming importance to the Empire, the structures were small and basic, almost an attempt to build quickly rather than a carefully planned and crafted functional compound. The young woman dismounted, nodding as Grimsson ordered them to pack their gear, and she unbuckled the saddle from her horse, clucking her tongue and speaking gently to the animal, giving him oats and water.

"Köszönöm hűséges szolgálataimat, barátom," she murmured as she brushed the horse's sweaty coat. "Jól vittél engem, és hálás vagyok." When she finished, she patted his rump and then gathered her gear, making her way toward the last stall.

"Miss, we have a bathing place set up if you'd like to use it," came a squeaky voice, and Sabina turned to see a youthful soldier blushing beet red as she looked at him. She took pity on him and smiled kindly.

"Yes, I'd like to very much," she replied, digging into her satchel for the bag of crushed yucca root, rose petals, and a fresh change of clothing. She left her cloak there and followed the young man to an outdoor bathing area beside the barn. It was a simple structure and hastily thrown together with pieces of wood nailed together around a metal hip tub that was filled with hot water. Nearby was a small fire with a cauldron of water heating, no doubt awaiting the next occupant. There was no roof, but the walls were high, reaching nearly to the top of her head.

"It isn't much, but at least you can clean up a little, miss," the young man said, nervously clearing his throat. "Women have never been to the Outpost before, so we put the walls up as soon as we arrived."

Sabina smiled at the man, this time allowing it to reach her eyes, turning them a vibrant emerald. "How very gallant of you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness."

The soldier nodded and left her alone, and she tossed a handful of dried rose petals into the water then stripped her dusty clothing off. She shook each garment out, sponiging them with some of the hot water, and laid them over the wall to dry as she bathed. She climbed into the hip bathtub, tempted to lean back and relax, but knowing others probably wanted to bathe soon, she began scrubbing her dusty body with hot water and a rich lather from her supply of crushed yucca root. As she bathed, she hummed in that sultry voice of hers, taking care to wash her long, red tresses.

When she finished, she stepped out onto a platform made of wooden slats and dried herself with a cloth the soldier had provided. She ran the cloth over her smooth skin, slowing when she reached her left thigh. Her soft fingers gently traced the long, puckered path of a scar that ran from the top of her thigh and down to her knee. It was a wide scar, wider than most, and a flitting memory darted into her brain, but she shoved it back and finished drying off, and then she dressed in an outfit similar to the one she'd worn earlier that day. Her stomach gave a growl as she finished, and she chuckled, glad that she smelled supper cooking.

Sabina dried her long hair as much as she could, letting it hang loosely about her shoulders and down her back, ending at her waist. The night air would dry it better than any cloth, so she left it down, dumped out her used bathwater, and exited the structure, making her way to the stall where she'd left the rest of her belongings.

After she packed everything neatly, she pulled out the parchment that she'd written the words she recognized from the Old Woman's song. The old woman had been talking about the Northern god Odin but the other words she'd written were confusing. They sounded familiar, as though she should know them. She nibbled her bottom lip, thinking about the implications. Bending low, she was jotting down ideas when she heard someone at the entrance of the stall. She looked up, and a long shadow inched closer.

"Who's there?" she called out, suddenly feeling very alone.

Last edited:
Lia was grateful to reach the outpost and the end of another long day in the saddle. She was ready to continue on foot, the riding posture not being something she was accustomed to for long periods of time. She would have preferred a ship which was quite a luxurious way to explore but she had spent weeks on foot and knew her body would adapt to the walking soon enough. She left the horse for the soldiers, stripping the beast of her personal belongings and equipment. She was already at the minimum of her equipment and supplies for the trip so she was just going to have to figure out how to get it all to come with them. She could be rather persuasive when the need arose though this was an unusually tough crowd, whom she barely even knew. She stretched as she listened to Holger's instructions, simple enough, still she looked at him with suspicion and apprehension. It had been rather easy to lose herself in the crowd of soldiers but soon it would just be a handful of them and there would be no where to hide. She stretched then took out her journal to jot down a few of the notes of the journey while still fresh in her mind. She wondered just how much writing paper the captain thought she would be able to carry. She felt like she needed to ration every word from here on out.

Eventually it was her turn to take a bath. She had a bemused expression on her face as the young soldier informed her of the final luxury the boys had prepared for them. "Are you going to scrub my back?" She teased him before grabbing her bag and following him to the makeshift bath 'house' they had erected for the girl's modesty. "I appreciate the gesture, thank you. Don't run off just yet." She could see him edging away as if he would be blinded by what he might see if he weren't careful. She began to strip off her clothes, handing him each item as she removed it. "Be a dear and get this cleaned for me as best you can." She said as she stood naked before him and stepped into the warm water. "Oh and go fetch Will Riot for me, he is our Scout, tell him it is imperative that I see him." She paused at his puzzled look. "That means important." She said not unkindly to the boy in a soldier's uniform.

The bath was fairly minimal, but given the situation, it felt like the height of luxury. She washed her hair first then worked her way from head to toe. When Mr. Riot's arrival was announced she replied impatiently. "Just come in, it's not like we aren't going to be living together the next year. At some point, modesty will just get in the way." She said, finding the modesty of these provincial men charming but tiring. "I need to talk to you about your scouting today. The captain has instructed me to keep a journal of our mission and you being the eyes and ears, we will need to talk each night." She gathered up her long black hair and pulled it around to her front. "Perhaps as you tell me your story, you can wash my back." She said, turning just far enough to reveal the outer swell of one breast as she reached back with a wet cloth. She rose out of the tub enough for her lean her ass against the inner rim and support herself with her hands on the edge. The cleft of her ass exposed but otherwise keeping most of her curves from his direct sight, unless of course he took some action to improve his view. "So, did you see anything interesting today?"

untitled.jpg

It’s delightful when a barren, rock-strewn tundra is the most interesting thing you had seen in days (aside from that which shall not be mentioned), but there it was. Boulders and shrubs, and more boulders and shrubs, were the visual stimulus to interrupt their grass-encompassed journey. That, and the pitiful palisade of wood and earth that offered the most shelter they had seen in nearly half a week. There were not too many structures here; crude buildings made of unhewn rocks and mud, and a few structures shored with wood, were all that they could boast.

But they had water.

Captain Holger was quick to shout orders to his team, and for the first time since they began, Will Riot gazed down at his mount in remorse. He would miss having something else to carry his gear, and he had just started to get his 'saddle' and not ache every time he climbed in and out of the contraption. But the animal was not his, and he had been allowed its use for a few days. He should be grateful.

He was just tired.

As he pulled over to the side to allow the line of marching soldiers to pass into the Outpost, he saw his companions in the back. The three girls, and Red. Karin had been quiet the last few days, and with her being their healer it was problematic, but it wasn’t his problem to deal with. If their Captain saw fit to trade her out for another, it would be his decision. Worst case scenario would be that they didn’t have a healer. If no one got hurt, it wasn’t a problem.

If someone who was sent out front to scout out the territory got hurt, it was.

He pulled his horse forward and dismounted at the stable, taking off the items he needed and tossing out anything that wasn’t essential. Water flasks were essential, despite their weight. So were footgear and a change of clothing, salt, a flask of spirits (for wounds, of course), a hat for shade, his cloak, blankets, and a small setup to allow for a shelter from rain and sun. Aside from his weapons and a whetstone and a few implements to allow him to repair or build arrows if needed, he had nothing but the small curious magnetic needle he had kept.

He walked out, pack slung over his shoulder, in time to see Sabine being escorted to the bath area. It was entertaining to see how the men were falling all over each other trying to help her into the bath. He was surprised none asked if they could assist her! But the sound of her humming as he walked about the camp, picking up stories and generally trying to learn as much as he could about the surrounding grasslands without seeming like he was doing so, occupied the next hour. He filled his flasks, drank one and refilled it, and then sought out the shade in which to rest until they were needed. Thankfully, the shade was near the canteen. His ration of food was given him after he signed on the line and he sat down to eat what might be the last cooked meal of the next few months. A steward came by and asked if he was part of Grimsson’s party. When he said he was, the steward gave him his food rations for a week. Apparently, after a week they were to find their own damn food.

He was sitting happily, dangling an empty, unlit pipe stem from his mouth, when a young soldier came looking for him. “You the scout? Will Riot?”

Will swung his body around to look behind each shoulder, before returning his gaze tot he soldier. “I suppose that would be me,” he jested. He couldn’t be in trouble yet, could he? He was told he was needed in the bathing area, so he gathered up his belongings and walked over, curious about what purpose anyone there would need him. When he called out a “Hello? It’s Riot,” he was surprised to hear Lia telling him to come in.

“Oh, well, in that case,” he stepped inside the canvas flaps and was surprised to see her sitting there, a la nude in the water. She said something about modesty and 'charming but tiring', but he really didn’t start to hear her until she said she needed to talk to him about his scouting that day. He dropped his belongings by the ‘door’ and began to strip off his clothes. Two could fit in the tub, and time was of the essence. The stable they had been allotted to sleep in was probably only for one night. Who knew when they could bath again? Besides, she didn't seem modest, and they were simply sharing the water.

"I need to talk to you about your scouting today. The captain has instructed me to keep a journal of our mission and you being the eyes and ears, we will need to talk each night." She gathered up her long black hair and pulled it around to her front. “Perhaps as you tell me your story, you can wash my back."

“Well, that’s interesting,” he said as he eased into the cool water. “So, you’re suggesting a quid pro quo; I wash your back and tell you things, and you take notes?” He chuckled. “Lia, the Captain told me to only take orders from him. I’ll have to check with our leader first,” he informed her. “Although, I’d be glad to wash your back, which is by far the most interesting thing I’ve seen today.”

He slid along the tub wall to sit behind her, then used the cloth to begin washing the dust off her neck and ears, working down each shoulder and delectable arm. “You tell me something, Lia. Have you noticed any birds in the grasses? Any rabbits or little critters at all?” That was something that had disturbed him. He had not noticed it, but after the night with the strange woman, and the death of their soldier discovered the next day, he began to notice that, though he saw the occasional insect and signs of snakes crossing the path, he did not see signs of warm fuzzies on the edge of the watering stops each night. If he was going to be partially responsible for bringing in small game for them to live on there needed to be something worth the hunt. Something other than whatever it was that had killed the soldier, that was.

He let out his breath slowly as her shoulders and upper back were completed and he moved lower on her torso, brushing along her waist and upper bottom. He remembered the apparent blowup between Lia and Holgar on day one, but nothing too obvious since then. Will was curious to know what had happened, though he also guessed that it would not be a wise decision to just come out and ask her. So... he decided to take a side route.

“Have you noticed,” he asked as he washed along the sides of her ribs, lightly brushing past her breast before descending to the curve of her hip, “that Karin has been very quiet lately?” He moved the cloth to wash her other side. “Do you know if she is okay?”

Last edited:
Lia's invitation to 'come in' had been intended as into confines of the small shelter but as she heard Will begin to undress she quickly deduced he had misunderstood, or was more bold than she had given him credit. She didn't let on that she was concerned one way or another about his disrobing. "Are you trying to impress me with your Latin, Mr. Riot?" She said coolly as he joined her in the cooling water. "I guess if you want to call it that but it's not like this is really for me, I suppose you can just write your own reports." She said nonchalantly as if she didn't care one way or another. When he told her about having to ask the Captain she nearly spun around and mocked him. Instead she let him wash her back instead, enjoying the feel of a man's hands on her body. "Good, but we can keep this part out of your report." She purred as she enjoyed the feel of having her back washed.

She was less impressed with his questions though obviously they had been bothering him. She pondered the significance of it all, was there some sort of threat or danger implied? "I can't say I really noticed but I'm usually focused further away, the sun, the horizon, or too close taking notes." She said, he clearly didn't appreciate how busy she was with her own duties as he was scouting their way. Clearly he found it significant enough to point out to her. Even the desert had critters though they were often unfriendly and unappealing. She would have expected a grassland like this to have been teaming with wildlife, had she stopped to think about it. "I think we are about done with the sea of grass, so perhaps it will be different where we are going."

As he worked his way down her back and sides, toying with more sensitive parts of her body than her back, she was tempted. But something about the way he had mentioned the Captain had put her off. As he changed the topic and brought up Karin she shared her own concerns. "I don't think she is cut out for this trip, she has too emotional of a task for herself on this trip, it will consume her." She wondered to what extent the needed a healer, there may well be dangers here but there was only so much that could be done if things turned violent.

"Turn around and I'll return the favor." She suggested once he had finished her back and apparently his questions. She ran her own fingers along his muscled frame, he was a fine specimen of manhood, a pleasant surprise but she would have him only on her own terms. She washed his back quickly and efficiently. When she was done she set the cloth aside and pulled up close enough for her bare breasts to press into his back. Her hands reached around him, still hidden by the water. She found his length with one hand, her touch soft and light as she stroked him. Her other hand cupped his balls, pulled up tight by the cool water. "I'd love to continue, but without the Captain's permission, well I wouldn't want you to get into trouble." She whispered into his ear as she stood and left the tub. "Enjoy the rest of your bath Mr. Riot." She told him as she dried her hair, making no effort to hide her body from him. She quickly dressed and headed out, heading

She went to check out the stable, not exactly luxury accommodations but it might seem that way pretty soon. As she saw Sabina's worry and vulnerability she could certainly relate. "It's just me." She said softly, realizing the red head probably couldn't make her out as she stood with her back towards the setting sun. "I thought I might share a spot with you tonight, unless you had...other plans?" She sensed Sabina was a bit more old fashioned than herself and though she looked as if she could take care of herself, there was nothing wrong with having an ally. The men would come sniffing around soon enough. "Should we ask Karin to join us? It will be a bit snug but I think we can manage?"

Last edited:
Sabina relaxed when Lia entered, and she smiled at the other woman, noting that like her, she'd bathed and changed clothing.

"I thought I might share a spot with you tonight, unless you had...other plans?"

"Of course you may," she replied, moving her satchel out of the center of the stall. "I suppose I did just spread everything out. Let me move over for you." The young woman neatly placed her parchment within the leather satchel, and she dropped her pencil in beside it, fastening the bag. She stood, taking her belongings to the back, left corner of the stall. It was clean, obviously not used very often given the freshness of the hay on the floor. She bunched up some of the hay to make a thin mattress and spread her bed roll over it.

"Should we ask Karin to join us? It will be a bit snug but I think we can manage?" Lia asked.

"Actually, I think we could all manage to fit in here if we slept side to side--well, except Red, of course," she replied. "Shall we head to the mess house for supper?"

They made their way out of the stall and headed toward the fire and chatting groups of soldiers. Unlike the nights in the grass, the men appeared more relaxed, apparently relieved to be surrounded by sturdy walls and soldiers who were familiar with the area. The duo gathered their simple stew and bread from the soldier who offered it, and then they sat beside a small campfire to talk.

"You know, I haven't seen Karin since we arrived at the Outpost," Sabina observed, spooning some stew into her mouth. It was bland but hearty, and she was grateful for another hot meal before they ventured out on their own. She turned her neck, looking around for the other woman, but she was nowhere to be found. Red stood out, of course, his mammoth size dwarfing everyone around him, and Grimsson seemed to be walking around the inner edge of the wall with someone who radiated authority. She'd seen Will darting about a moment ago. "Perhaps she's in the bath."

Sabina watched the flames flicker, her thoughts leaving the ethereal healer who seemed delicate and no match for the harshness of this journey. Instead, they turned to the strange mist and the Old Woman, to Red's scarred torso and booming voice. He'd seemed to radiate strength and power when he'd spoken, and understanding his strange words was not necessary to realize that he'd sent the crone away. The girl felt a cool breeze pick up, and her red hair danced around her head, imitating the flickering flames. A shiver ran down her spine, and she glanced around them. She didn't know if it was her imagination and because she was reminiscing about that first night, but she felt as though someone or something were watching, that they weren't alone.

"Excuse me for a moment, Lia," she said softly, standing and heading directly toward Red. As was her routine now, she placed the remnants of her meal beside him where he sat. She'd noticed the after their second evening meal that he was finishing her food, and she was happy to continue giving him anything she didn't want.

"Hello, Red," she said softly, smiling gently at the giant. He didn't seem jumpy or nervous, so she forced herself to relax. His face remained impassive as she offered the food to him, so she tried another language on him, as she always did, "Mīru oka rōju nātō māṭlāḍatārani nēnu āśistunnānu. Mam'malni rakṣin̄cinanduku dhan'yavādālu." She studied his posture, but there were no movements of recognition, so she offered another smile and said, "Goodnight," before returning to Lia.

She sat beside the other woman as she ate, and she chuckled when a couple of young soldiers came up to them.

"Hello, Miss Lia," he said, staring at the brunette beside her. Sabina smirked when he offered a hasty greeting to her and leaned back, ready to watch a show. She stretched her legs out before her, crossing her ankles, and leaned against a log that she'd sat on earlier. "You look beautiful tonight."

Sabina glanced at Lia's face, wondering if she'd ever be that comfortable with her own sexuality. Not that she was a prude or even a virgin; she was just reserved when the topic came up...unless she was participating. To each her own, she decided, and yawned, covering her mouth to hide it. She hoped that whatever had transpired between the woman and their leader wouldn't be an issue on the journey. Thus far, though, they'd studiously avoided each other except when necessary for communicating. As she watched Lia interact with the soldier, she relaxed, her eyelids growing heavy.

No longer hiding her yawns, Sabrina stood, stretching, and said, "Lia, I'm going to head to bed. Do you want to finish our conversation before we sleep?" she asked, offering the woman an easy out if she wanted it.

untitled.jpg
Lia had been busy with her duties, of course; she wouldn’t have noticed such mundane things as the presence of animals or smaller creatures. Will sighed inwardly. Although it wasn’t implied in the contract, he had a feeling that the protection and care of the womenfolk would fall to the three men. She brought up a good point when he asked about Karin – if she came with them, would she make it? She was gentle and kind-hearted; not the type he would expect to volunteer to go on a quest like this one. Perhaps she had been pressured to enlist or owed someone money. Or maybe she –

The lovely brunette interrupted his musings with an offer to wash his back. “Oh, certainly,” he had nearly forgotten what he had been doing. He handed her the washrag, then exchanged places, feeling her fingers trailing over her skin. Pleasant shivers ran through his body, though the had to remind himself of his conviction not to mix pleasure with business…she made it hard to do so. As if she, too, had convictions, she was efficient, and when she set the cloth down, he thought it meant it was over, but no. The quick-handed vixen reached around and found his shaft, stroking it and evoking a gasp of surprise and pleasure from the tracker’s lips. “Oh,” was all he could breathe, both shocked and intrigued by the beauty’s boldness. The press of her breasts to his back aroused him further, and for a moment he forgot about their employment, the upcoming mission, and everything except the touch of the woman at his back.

"I'd love to continue, but without the Captain's permission, well I wouldn't want you to get into trouble." She whispered into his ear as she stood and left the tub. "Enjoy the rest of your bath Mr. Riot." She told him as she dried her hair, making no effort to hide her body from him. She quickly dressed and headed out.

“Oh gods,” he groaned, leaning back in the tub after Lia’s clever turn-about. Exhaling a shuddering breath filled with ‘What have I gotten myself into’s, he climbed out of the tub and followed suit. Yes, the women were going to be the death of him. He couldn’t ask for a more lovely demise.

Once he was dressed, he headed back out to central ‘plaza’ of the Outpost, if one could call it that. A quick glance found the girls surrounded by men in the dining area; they had amounted quite a large gathering of fans. Karina was still, nowhere to be seen, and neither was their leader…

Will paused. It could have been that their leader had met the Outpost commander, ran into their healer, and together they decided to have a little ‘talk’? He raised an eyebrow. It was possible.

A quick meal on his feet, and other check of his supplies and water, and there was really nothing left to do but rest until the morning. He found the stall they had been allotted and spread his cloak on one side of the stall. Will set aside his bow and bag, unbuckled his swordbelt and laid it between where he would sleep and the stall’s wall, and then laid down. Pulling the other end of his cloak around himself he shut his eyes and listened to the distant murmurings of the people in the camp.

He would miss the sound of others. Yes, there were four people journeying with him, but there was a comfort in numbers. In knowing that others loved and laughed, fucked and fought; it was the beauty of humanity that only a large group could offer. Yet his skills were spent towards the solitary; scouting, tracking, being out in front where the danger was the greatest. He had to keep his mind on the task at hand, and he had already let personal ties confuse that, nearly to the detriment of everyone in a group similar to this. Their mission had been different, but the numbers had been the same, and he was damned if he would do it again.

‘Maybe I am already damned,’ he thought, as he drifted off to sleep. ‘Maybe I’m reliving the event, over and over, and when this one ends it will start again…” Soon, exhaustion and the bath won over his troubling musings, and he was fast asleep.

F1F1D4

Holger headed inside the 'HQ' as it was called, glad to get out of both the sun and the wind. The Sea of Grass still did not sit easy with him. Not only the...well, he didn't know what to call her other than 'Witch...but not only the mysterious apparation of the witch, but also the death of the Soldier. He had reported it to the Commander of the Outpost, of course, and described as best he could the state of the corpse (what remained of it). He wasn't sure if the two events were related, or how the Soldier had traveled so far in the darkness on foot. It had taken them nearly half the day on horseback to reach his body. But no one in his direct command had died yet. He supposed that was a good thing.

He talked at length with the Commander, who showed him a rudimentary map of the surrounding area - notably points of interest in the areas that had already been explored and where the easier routes lay. In general, the land surrounding them was quite rugged and windswept. It was quite rocky and uneven, with craigs and ravines, areas where the ground seemed to be sundered. Barely a tree to be found within a day or twos march, other than very hardy and rugged shrubs that clung to the cracks and fissures in the rocks where the wind did not reach. A pretty bleak landscape and one that did not hold promise.

However, on the clearest of days, when the wind wasn't strong, one could see mountains on the far horizon, snow capped but with what looked like forests on their base and hills before them. It was hard to see and in the year of the Outposts existence, such days were rare. There were fresh supplies - mostly dried food and hard tack for them to bring along with them, along with some rope and other equipment that might be necessary. Of course, they would have to carry everything themselves and were expected to live off the land at some point. Holger wasn't very worried about that - he could handle that life and live it no problem, but half his party seemed rather inexperienced and new to the Wilds and he wasn't sure they'd be able to handle it.

Holger, in the end, decided he would need to sleep on it. He spent a good amount of time up on the parapets of the wall, looking both East and North and even South, but never back West or the way they had come. His eyes squinted at the horizon and his footfalls kept a steady beat as he paced back and forth. It was unclear if he joined the others as he did not join them in the barn nor was he there when the light of the new day dawned.

b06500

Red the Friendly Giant peered down at the strange woman as she talked gibberish to him. He didn't feel any tingling when she spoke, so surely she wasn't cursing him - or at least not to any of the Gods he believed in. But she was offering him more food, which he wouldn't turn down. Perhaps, he thought, she thought that he was a God? The food offerings, the murmurings in a foreign language.

He blinked down at her and took the offered food, before turning his back to her as he ate. What a strange creature, these people were. Especially that girl. Red avoided the stables where they were stationed - he didn't trust himself not to eat one during the night. As the others settled in for the night, Red made his way out of the gate, no Soldier brave enough to try and stop him.

40E0D0

The smell of meat cooking wafted into the barn to stimulate their senses. A hearty meal of oats and sugar, greasy bacon, and scrambled eggs waited for them as they got up. A good send off meal for the party that would soon be leaving. The Soldiers on duty had changed and the sun was soon beating down over the walls and warming the stables, even if there was one less horse there than had been during the night.

Red stood by the Gate, peering Eastwards. Holger was fumbling around with his own pack, checking its contents. On a blanket nearby, communal supplies were laid out along with the packs for each person. They would all carry an equal share of dried goods and water, along with their own equipment and bedrolls.

Back
Top Bottom