Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Recommendations: Witches, Salem, New England

Jericho Z. Barrons

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
I saw The VVitch (2015) and The Wind (2018) some time ago and I really like the spooky mood and atmosphere of those films mixed with the setting and time period. I want to watch more spooky films set in the New England/Wild West with a flavoring of horror: demonic entities, witches, ghosts, monsters. I've been having trouble searching on my own, so, any recommendations you guys have for films/tv shows set in that early colonial American time period with horror elements, I'd be much appreciated.

Other films/tv shows that also have this same vibe:
Dead Birds
Salem
The Village
Sleepy Hollow (1999)

I believe so, yes. Roanoke in and of itself was not about witches at all. From the shows write up.....”The season's theme centers on exploitation in two forms: the act of mistreatment to people, and the use of public-relation and advertising techniques (such as media) for personal gain; which took place at Roanoke Island, North Carolina in 2015 that focuses on the testimonies of the Miller family.”

With the use of the Lost Colony of Roanoke at its center to tell the story. There was really only one mention of a witch in Roanoke and ultimately it leads right back to the season of Coven.

Scáthach (portrayed by Lady Gaga) is an immortal English woman descending from the Druids and their Roman conqueror, and a practitioner of prehistoric Celtic religion and worshipper of Old Gods. She was a stowaway on a British voyage destined for the colonies, but the ships occupants all died. The colonists discovered her upon landfall and blames her presence for enraging the sea gods. She was subsequently imprisoned and sentenced to be burned at the stake for witchcraft. Using her darker powers, she massacred the soldiers. This was later blamed on Natives, and Scáthach escaped into the wild. In 1590, she encounters a dying Thomasin and saves her from a wild boar attack. In return, Thomasin swears allegiance to her and becomes her holy figure. She requires a human sacrifice annually, and in return for Thomasin carrying this out, she provides her with food. When colonists begin rejecting the practice of human sacrifice, thereby negating Scáthach's flow of human sacrifice, Scáthach assists Thomasin in poisoning the Roanoke colonists, thereby binding all of them to the land. Scáthach is also infatuated with Matt, using her powers to place him in a trance so he will commit himself to her. She rescues Lee in a similar fashion to her rescue of Thomasin, both falling victim to a wild boar. She asserts Lee as her thrall, again, presenting her subject with a heart to be consumed. It has also been confirmed by creator Ryan Murphy that Scáthach is the first Supreme of the line of witches who appear in American Horror Story: Coven,[1]which means she possesses unlimited powers, and is the ancestor of the witches featured in Coven.

Roanoke was an alright season, hated the first half of it though because of the whole reality series stuff they did with it, also the whole “Hills Have Eyes” family they injected into it But if you’re looking for more in depth witchery, even with it being more modern and in NOLA, I’d go with Coven as your go to in the AHS verse.

If I can think of anything else that hasn’t been listed, I’ll drop it in here as well.

I believe so, yes. Roanoke in and of itself was not about witches at all. From the shows write up.....”The season's theme centers on exploitation in two forms: the act of mistreatment to people, and the use of public-relation and advertising techniques (such as media) for personal gain; which took place at Roanoke Island, North Carolina in 2015 that focuses on the testimonies of the Miller family.”

With the use of the Lost Colony of Roanoke at its center to tell the story. There was really only one mention of a witch in Roanoke and ultimately it leads right back to the season of Coven.

Scáthach (portrayed by Lady Gaga) is an immortal English woman descending from the Druids and their Roman conqueror, and a practitioner of prehistoric Celtic religion and worshipper of Old Gods. She was a stowaway on a British voyage destined for the colonies, but the ships occupants all died. The colonists discovered her upon landfall and blames her presence for enraging the sea gods. She was subsequently imprisoned and sentenced to be burned at the stake for witchcraft. Using her darker powers, she massacred the soldiers. This was later blamed on Natives, and Scáthach escaped into the wild. In 1590, she encounters a dying Thomasin and saves her from a wild boar attack. In return, Thomasin swears allegiance to her and becomes her holy figure. She requires a human sacrifice annually, and in return for Thomasin carrying this out, she provides her with food. When colonists begin rejecting the practice of human sacrifice, thereby negating Scáthach's flow of human sacrifice, Scáthach assists Thomasin in poisoning the Roanoke colonists, thereby binding all of them to the land. Scáthach is also infatuated with Matt, using her powers to place him in a trance so he will commit himself to her. She rescues Lee in a similar fashion to her rescue of Thomasin, both falling victim to a wild boar. She asserts Lee as her thrall, again, presenting her subject with a heart to be consumed. It has also been confirmed by creator Ryan Murphy that Scáthach is the first Supreme of the line of witches who appear in American Horror Story: Coven,[1]which means she possesses unlimited powers, and is the ancestor of the witches featured in Coven.

Roanoke was an alright season, hated the first half of it though because of the whole reality series stuff they did with it, also the whole “Hills Have Eyes” family they injected into it But if you’re looking for more in depth witchery, even with it being more modern and in NOLA, I’d go with Coven as your go to in the AHS verse.

If I can think of anything else that hasn’t been listed, I’ll drop it in here as well.
Ah, thank you for this information. Yeah, I liked Coven alright(second fav after Asylum) but I did not see Roanoke, so, I wasn't sure. I'm not so much looking for just witches, but the whole thing: early American colonies with spooky happenings(witches, devils, wendigo, hauntings, etc.). It seems that The VVitch was actually one of the very few set in the time period with that theme. I also liked The Wind(which I didn't know about until I saw you posted it in last movies seen) which is more prairies than New England but it has that same rustic, colonial costuming and atmosphere.

If you can think of any, definitely let me know!

Ah, thank you for this information. Yeah, I liked Coven alright(second fav after Asylum) but I did not see Roanoke, so, I wasn't sure. I'm not so much looking for just witches, but the whole thing: early American colonies with spooky happenings(witches, devils, wendigo, hauntings, etc.). It seems that The VVitch was actually one of the very few set in the time period with that theme. I also liked The Wind(which I didn't know about until I saw you posted it in last movies seen) which is more prairies than New England but it has that same rustic, colonial costuming and atmosphere.

If you can think of any, definitely let me know!

You’re welcome. 😊 I love me some AHS and witches, so if I can help, I definitely will be happy to do so. Lol Also of reference in the AHS verse.....Apocalypse (next to the last season I believe) had witches involved as well but was not the focus until near the middle/end of the season, the witches from Coven to be exact as well as some male witches (kind of reminded me of your Man Witch idea - if I remember correctly!) but not vital to your search unless you want to check it out.

I, for some reason, couldn’t get into The VVitch personally. Might have been the circumstances I was trying to watch it in but it just fell flat with me. May have to try to watch it again, uninterrupted. Like you said, The Wind was alright but not necessarily a stellar movie either. The atmosphere was definitely good though.

Back
Top Bottom