Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Adventurers' Arrangement (Traveler & obieblu)

obieblu

creator of characters never played
The main road crested the last grassy hill before descending down into a verdant forest. The two rugged adventurers would soon be spared the high early-afternoon sun. They'd been summoned to the city of Ibrido for a party, of all things. But as their reputatio grew, so would the the attention of kings and nobles such as the Marquis di Maschera, their host. The event was still days away, and the duo was making good time. Beyond this thick forest was a huge lake almost the size of an inland sea with a series of islands on which Ibrido stood. This region was fairly peaceful because strong leadership, and there was no reason to expect any disturbances or delays on their journey.

Tafari Bankole was far away from home, but he had been for quite a while. His people, the Tau Mweusi Tribe, sent their young men off into the world to earn glory and reputations before returning and taking wives. They followed the ways of the lion prides. Only the strongest and most capable returned, creating a strong hearty people. Tafari had been adventuring for a few years, and he found that he liked the lifestyle, the challenges, and the rewards. While he probably could have returned to his home, he had no inclination to settle down any time soon.

Tafari wore little clothing as barbarians tended to. Leather boots, a padded loincloth, and bracers made up the majority of his coverings besides some leather and bead necklaces. The wide expanse of his warm sepia skin seemed burnished in the sun, accentuating his well-muscled physique. Wide shoulders, bulging arms, and a thick chest tapered down to a narrower waist before thickening again into his muscular legs. His handsome face sported a dusting of black stubble as did his scalp, and his dark brown eyes seemed relatively at ease on this easy ride. His tawny horse carried his gear as well, including his two large battle axes, a shield, and other smaller weapons. There could be no doubt in anyone's mind that Tafari's life was one of violence, though he didn't radiate aggression. Tafari was actually fairly reserved usually, but his enthusiasm for action was hard to sate once it was roused.

The sound of the horses' steps was monotonous, and the barbarian glanced to his companion at his side, Ridhaan. Early in his adventuring career, they'd both enlisted with the same group of mercenaries hired for a long campaign. By the end, only Tafari and Ridhaan were left, and they split the entire group's pay between the two of them. It had required a bit of intimidating their patron's accountant, but working as a duo seemed like a good system. They were a good team, and there was no reason to split rewards with anyone else. Tafari felt an amicable professional camaraderie with the other man, even if they're occasional carousing was a problem for various city guards. Ridhaan certainly knew how to lure the more stoic man into letting loose in more than just battle.

Ridaan Kabir had never been summoned to anything before, but his recent alliance with the barbarian seemed to have turned both their luck towards the sun. Or perhaps he should say, the moon. The bounty hunter road next to Tafari, their horses neck and neck as they plodded along. It had been a difficult, and very long journey to answer the summons. It seemed their reputation had made them famous, and many were seeking to lay their eyes upon the two who had brought in dangerous criminals and monsters when others could not.

They were not invincible; far from it. But the way the two fought together, it had been as if they had fought side-by-side their entire lives.

Ridaan sat an easy seat upon his mare. She was a special horse; an equine without equal. Most feared any scent of predator, but this one had grown up with her rider, and she knew that his scent, his very wolfish scent, was one that posed her no harm. And when others of the same scent came around, her herd alpha, her human, kept her protected.

The tall warrior leaned forward in his saddle, resting an elbow and turning to his companion, as if to speak. He was slightly more clothed than his companion, though Ridaan’s ego compelled him to keep most of his torso bare, for the viewing pleasure of his fans, of course. He wore the long, leather pants and boot preferred by those who spent a great deal in the saddle, and he had not given up all the pieces of armor from his mercenary-turned-bounty hunter days. Metal plate covered his left thigh, forearms, and shoulders. His ‘shirt’ was there to protect his arms and shoulders, and nothing covered his chest by straps of leather and a small metal plate with the relief of a wolf’s head upon its center. He wore his sword slung across his hips, kept to the rear and held in place by a double-wrapped leather belt. Upon his shoulders he wore a cloak of crimson and red; fur of some unknown creature dyed to resemble the cloaks of kings. His preferred weapon was a double tipped spear, its shaft strengthened by a cleverly bored hole filled with a thick metal rod.

His dark, wavy hair, and the golden hue to his tanned skin spoke of exotic distant lands. He kept his beard and moustache trimmed short, and he proudly kept his chest unshaved; the dark hair across his chest trailed south, often the focus of women’s and men’s gaze when they looked his way. They craved the wild. He enjoyed reminding them of their primal urges and did it enough that the rousing festivities that followed many of their conquests made them almost as famous as their victories did.

“Tafari, why do you think the Marquis di Maschera summoned us? Do you think he is hoping to gift you one of his fair daughters to bring home to your tribe?” He smirked at his near-friend. His eyes roamed freely over the barbarian’s’ strong, muscular body. “Or do you think he wants to feel for himself how a hero feels?” He had been teasing the warrior for the last week now, testing to see what his thoughts were on all things intimate. “What do you think of a little friendly wager; we each state why we believe he called us to his party, and the one who is closest to the truth wins the other’s services for a day.”

He raised a dark eyebrow at the ebony skinned beauty beside him. “It could make things interesting, if you’re not afraid of what I might demand of you when I win.” His smirk grew into a grin. “Don’t worry; I won’t scar your handsome face or make you unable to breed a whole tribe of little Tafari’s when you return to your people. You have my word.”

Last edited:
When not fighting or indulging, Tafari was definitely the more sober of the two men. To him, Ridaan seemed like a sly animal at times, always ready with some plan or to pounce. It had grown to be almost endearing. It certainly kept his company interesting in between their bouts of action. "You read the invitation that was waiting for us at the inn when we returned. It's a party. We are 'individuals of note'," he quoted the fancily scripted parchment. He turned his gaze back to the approaching forest, but he could feel the other's eyes on his exposed body once they started yet another exploration of his form. The barbarian didn't seem to mind these looks, but he'd never really acknowledged them. He was no stranger to women's beds, but Ridaan was definitely the more lusty of the two.

"By services, you mean cooking and washing codpieces, or something else?" he had noticed the recent verbal fingers in his side. It suited him to let Ridaan keep needling him like a child that wasn't getting the attention he wanted, but Tafari's handsome face remained stoic. "I suppose he wants to show off impressive exotic guests to the locals to elevate his own standing." There was also a chance the Marquis wanted to hire them for a task, but the guise of a party invitation seemed pointlessly elaborate.

After the much more suggestive comments, Tafari turned back to his companion. He interpreted this challenge as bluff. Either he'd decline and the other man could chide him, or he could accept and be teased for being willing to subject himself to Ridaan's implied perversions. One of his own dark brows rose in comical criticism as he replied, "It's been so long since your last whore that your eyes grow hungry for me?" He didn't seem put off by this, but he also wasn't taking it too seriously. "I doubt you have the strength or rigidity to use me for any of your wanton ways. It's hardly a risk." Tafari wanted to see just how much Ridaan wanted this. "I'm sure there will be maidens of loose virtue at this party, if you can wait a few more days."

“We are ‘individuals of note’,” Tafari quoted. Ridaan grunted in appreciation. Note indeed; the barbarian's tawny skin and wide-shouldered build , coupled with the reserved way he held himself, made the hunter wonder what it would look like for the man to let himself lose control in the throes of ecstasy. He wanted to see that look in his eyes when he surrendered to the hedonic side, and hear him begging for release.

His thoughts were interrupted when the barbarian asked about services, and the hunter couldn’t hold back his grin. “It could be anything else,” he clarified. “A gentleman’s bet, to keep ourselves entertained.” He continued his assessment of his companion as he spoke, noticing the boundary that he was holding between them. The quiet reserve, the feigned disinterest. But he had seen the hardened bulge that occasionally ornamented the front of his profile, and the slight clenching of the jaw. He was interested; he just did not know it yet. It would only take a small push in the right direction to help the barbarian discover new territory, and to find the primal side of himself that would unleash his full potential in the battlefield.

"It's been so long since your last whore that your eyes grow hungry for me?" He didn't seem put off by this, but he also wasn't taking it too seriously. "I doubt you have the strength or rigidity to use me for any of your wanton ways. It's hardly a risk. I'm sure there will be maidens of loose virtue at this party, if you can wait a few more days."

“Women have their purposes,” Ridaan agreed. “But they are soft, and pliable. Too eager to submit and allow themselves to be used; too eager to carry a hero’s child…” He straightened in his seat to peer at the nearing isles and the ships that would take them to their destination. “So – you believe that the Marquis wishes to show us off. I believe that he wants something from us. If, at the end of the visit, you are correct, I shall be your servant for a day.” He glanced at the barbarian with a sly smile. “And if I am correct, and the Marquis desires something from us besides our company and the proximity to our fame, you shall be my servant for a full day.” Both options were possible. It was more probable that both were reasons they had been summoned.

He eyed the barbarian a few moments before continuing. “And to ensure you understand, my friend, I don’t want a wench who’s spread herself open for anyone and everyone. I want Tafari Bankole, the future Chief of the Tau Mweusi Tribe. And then we’ll explore the question of strength and rigidity, and what exactly a day of service entails.”

Tafari knew his strength. When he wasn't in the throes of battle lust, he was physically reserved with most anyone who wasn't obviously a strong warrior. That included women not of his tribe and most all townsfolk he ran across in his travels. Ridaan was obviously strong, and he liked to show it off with all his exposed skin. Tafari couldn't judge much, but part of his power required not wearing armor. Regardless, if they ever had to fight each other, the barbarian wouldn't hold back against his partner. When it came to other activities.. it had never crossed his mind.

A loud snort came from Tafari at Ridaan's first reply. "I'm not a gentleman. But you know that," he replied through lips holding a wide smirk. He seemed to think it over for a few long moments as they approached the edge of the forest. It was an abrupt change of landscape. Thick, tall evergreen trees rose out of the grassland like someone had drawn a precise line. Inside, the sunlight was greatly diminished by the thick canopy. The barbarian's back was straight as he rode, across the line of shadow into the thick woods. Without the sheen of the sun on his skin, he was a much more intimidating visage, like a solid slab of dark dangerous muscle.

"So, what you want is someone to stick your cock in who isn't eager but will submit to anything you want. And, rather than a woman, you want that to be me," he rephrased Ridaan's analysis of women and his proposal. "And the reason I would accept this arrangement is.. I would have the opportunity to do the same to you?" A soft chuckle followed that, and he turned smug, feeling like he had all the power in this negotiation. "First, I suppose there are other reasons we were summoned. A contract would be just as likely. So, I might want to change my assumption if I agreed to this. Second, why wouldn't I just wrestle you down and take what I wanted, if I wanted what you're offering?" He finally looked back to the man riding at his side, looking very confident in his ability to overpower him. At the least, he'd make Ridaan really work for his agreement.

The cool shade of the forest was a welcome reprieve, and Ridaan was looking forward to riding through the shadows, where he would feel more at home. He looked into the fern and moss and narrowed his eyes. Many types of prey were present. Had they been looking for dinner, they would have much to chose from.

Tafari’s question brought a snort of laughter from the hunter. “You make is sound so crass; stick my cock in you. Is that all there is to sex for your kind?” He grinned at the barbarian. He had not said ‘no’. At the very least, he was considering the offer.

"And the reason I would accept this arrangement is.. I would have the opportunity to do the same to you?” Tafari asked.

“You would have the privilege,” he corrected. Not every good-looking man was allowed that position. There were a few, like Tafari, who had earned enough of the hunter’s respect to make him desire both giving and receiving pleasure, though there was enjoyment to be had in both. He listened as they rode, and as the air turned cooler, he inhaled the scent of tree and earth. Moist, fragrant air infused his senses. He could detect the smell of reptiles and birds, and little furry creatures. He scented the sap of the trees, the dew on the moss, and the rich aroma of woody decay. It was marvelous.

“Second, why wouldn't I just wrestle you down and take what I wanted, if I wanted what you're offering?" Tafari finally looked back to the man riding at his side, looking very confident in his ability to overpower him.

Ridaan’s returned smile was smug. “Obviously you don’t want what I’m offering, else you would have already been in my bed. You’re focused on returning home and bedding all your wives. Thirdly,” he added, “Wrestling me down and taking what you want is harder than you presume. You may weigh more than I, but we all know that looks can be deceiving. Like the snake, for instance,” he motioned towards a coiled green snake the thickness of a finger that was wrapped around a branch. “They look small. Cute. But that little whip could choke the life out of a rabbit four times its side if it wanted. Thankfully, that type eats lizards and dragon flies,” he glanced at the beast as they passed and spoke directly to the snake. “Don’t you, my little friend?”

Turning back to the barbarian he continued. “So…are you saying that I don’t need a bet to bed you, or are you saying that you’ll take my bet, but your answer has changed?”

Tafari was used to the baking sun, but shade was always welcome. As they passed into the coolness of the forest, it just felt so wet. After a guffaw, he rebutted, "I don't have any wives, yet. But you sound like you're jealous, already." He let the jovial accusation hang in the air a moment before continuing. "Of course there's more than making children," he credited Ridaan with not meaning to sound derogatory toward his culture. "But between men.. why would there be more? Sometimes young warriors will find each other during their time away and .. satisfy their needs. It usually leads to a lifelong friendship." He wondered if Ridaan was really interested in changing their partnership into something like this, but in his own odd way.

The mention of privilege made the barbarian chuckle, and his teeth flashed white in the forest's gloom, "An unsolicited privilege.. but not without its allure." Now that the topic was being openly discussed, Tafari wasn't opposed to such an arrangement as other men from his people found. It was just odd that it was someone already from outside. And Ridaan seemed more eager than pragmatic. He didn't need to look over, he'd seen plenty of the attractive warrior by his side. For a man, he was an aesthetic figure. Tafari could imagine Ridaan would be a boisterous sexual partner.

Then, the barbarian let loose a true belly laugh, causing the horses to twitch. It was absurd that Ridaan thought he would win a pure contest of strength and wrestling skill. "Your confidence is downright tempting to disprove. And having a release more frequently on our journeying is agreeable." He watched Ridaan muse about the snake, all while thinking it had a rather phallic nature. Probably because he couldn't help but be imagining getting his own cock into someone more regularly. "I'm saying that I may give this wager a chance. With clearer terms. And, let me think about what my bet might be now that I know what the rewards are."

Ridaan smiled at the prospect; the barbarian had acquiesced there was allure to his proposal, as well as mentioning having a release more frequently…and the agreeable nature of the thought. “Take your time,” he mused, “and think on it. Think long and hard,” he teased, “Chief Tafari.”

He had studied the man during battles, as much as was possible when you were fighting off an orc or wild goblin hoards. Tafari had a grace about his strength, a and when he became filled with battle lust he was unstoppable; so close to a bezerker, yet the hunter had never felt that the man would mistake him for his enemy and drive his sturdy axe through his body. The thought brought to mind driving other things through his body, and he let out a low hum, nearly a growl of pleasure, at the thought.

The moon had been waxing, it’s white face growing more prominent each night. When they had first met, it had just come off it’s full, pregnant glow and was waning gibbous. An oblong reflection of the sun growing less and less with each rotation of the world. As the moon’s reflection grew, so did Ridaan’s hunger and bloodlust. And lust for other things.

He embraced it. The gift had been a powerful boon; not everyone born to his family had it, but he had inherited the lion’s share, giving him an unusual ability to control himself when he wanted, and to submit to his nature when he did not. He paused, thinking of the term – lion’s share - and of his companion’s tribe. Coincidence? Or destiny?

The path narrowed, and Ridaan pulled to the side to allow the barbarian to go ahead of him. Not because he thought the man would make a better tracker, but because he enjoyed the view. He felt his mouth salivate, and brought a gloved hand to his lips, slowly drawing the tip of one finger across his bottom lip as he swallowed. There would be time for indulgences later, but he was getting hungry, and the great lake was still a distance away. Perhaps a squirrel…he glanced to the side, then thought better of it, and pulled a strip of dried meat from the saddle bag. As he chewed, he considered the view, and smiled to himself. Soon they would know they Marquis’s intent. And then he would know which side of their bargain he was on.

Tafari snorted at Ridaan referring to him as 'chief', again. That was more of a whisper of a daydream than a conscious objective, and certainly far in the future, if at all. His companion was one to push, though, and the barbarian was used to it enough. "You're so eager to be the first in Chief Tafari's harem," he retorted smugly. While he didn't go around trying to seduce, or even lure men's attraction, the fact that this was was so eager to have a taste of him was flattering, and spoke to his undefinable, strength, masculinity, and virility. Who could help it, really?

"I propose that whoever slays the most foes any given day, or slays the greatest foe should be the winner. That's a more manly competition than social games," his tone made it clear what he thought of speculating on the intentions of people he'd never met. "Though, on this first one, let's be clear. I'll keep my first guess, that the Marquis wants to impress his guests by having heroes attend. If that is not the case, I lose. Though, he may have multiple intentions. If it is only the option you choose, then you are the winner. I'll not debate nuances of his multiple objectives and which is superior while you point your impatient cock at me," though he smirked again, think that would at least be a comical scene to witness as an outside observer.

"If the invitation is for our impressive company, and not whatever you choose, I am the winner. If it is only your guess, and we are not shown off, you win. If it turns out to be both or neither, you'll find a wench, or use your hand, to satisfy your perversions," though his tone was lighthearted and not insulting. "Do we have an agreement?" Tafari twisted enough in his saddle to reach out and offer his large for a shake. Even in the dimmer light, the striations in his thick pectoral muscles stood out with the contortion.

After the deal was settled, one way or another, Ridaan slowed in pace, and Tafari wondered why, but he wasn't a nosy sort. He continued on as normal, and Ridaan was treated to the view of his shoulders and muscles of his upper back bouncing lightly with the trotting of his horse. Physical competitions were much more in his comfort zone, and Tafari had confidence he wouldn't lose, or at least often. Ridaan was a funny sort with the way he dressed provocatively in an intentional way. Tafari mused that their traveling might indeed be more enjoyable with some other sport along the way. Ridaan was certainly not an unattractive proposition.

As Ridaan was finishing his dried meat, the sound of someone crying out to Tafari's side of the road broke through the relative calm of the woodland noises. He turned immediately, reaching over his shoulder to retrieve one of his battle axes. The barbarian wasn't one for extreme caution, and he turned his horse halfway around, ready to charge if it could fit between the trees. But, before he could, a small figure dashed out from the thick trees.

9586f29b5a3b1a8de79269ef75973e7c.jpg

"HELP!" It was a boy. Well, an elf boy looking around perhaps 12 years for a human, though that would make him much older in reality. He was slim, blond, dressed simply in earthen colors, and very frightened. The elf came up short when he saw Tafari and his axe. From the wide look in his eyes and his frozen posture, he apparently didn't know whether to be more afraid of the barbarian or whatever he was running from.

Last edited:
“I accept your proposal,” Ridaan said, taking the barbarian’s massive forearm in his wiry grip and shaking it once. He admired the bend of the man’s torso and his strong core. He dismissed the image of that core contracting as he thrust, or was trust into, with a smirk. That time would come soon enough.

Then a cry alerted them to danger, and he slid his hand to his spear before deciding that the forest was too thick for such a weapon. The forest parted and a scared elf ran out, looking at them with horror.

“We’re friends,” Ridaan called out. Then used the little bit of elf he knew, “Mellon.” It actually companions, but what the hell, close enough. He looked over the boy’s head and motioned for the lad to get behind them, then drew his sword as he prepared to meet whatever had chased the boy.

Tafari seemed satisfied as he returned Ridaan's grip. Whether or not it was technically accurate, he imagined he'd killed many more enemies than his partner. There'd been no need to keep count, as he was sure he had the greater numbers, but now he'd be proving his superiority in combat as well as taking additional plunders afterwards. He took his own look sideways now, as there was no shame in evaluating what Ridaan was betting. While Tafari was bigger, Ridaan was just as muscular, and the barbarian hoped that he'd struggle just a bit. The idea of holding the other flirtatious, boastful man down was particularly enticing.

But, thoughts of getting a fistful of Ridaan's black hair were interrupted by the elf boy. Tafari knew he was intimidating, and he was passively proud of it. From the boy's expression, it was clear he wasn't sure if the large man was going to help or be another thing to run away from. So, the barbarian lowered his axe, while still keeping a firm grip on it in case something came crashing out of the woods behind the elf.

The elf boy was pale, had short blond hair, and ice blue eyes. He practically glowed in the gloom. He'd been calling out in Common, but Ridaan's reply in Elvish was reassuring. The boy looked the other man over, finding him to look less startling than the first he'd noticed, then replied hesitantly in a cracked voice, "Me-ellon." He stood up straighter, looking like he was't about to run at any second. His wide eyes didn't relax, though, and he pointed back in the direction he'd come, "They're taking her. Some plant things. We ran, but they caught my friend. Please," his voice turned frantic again, "can you save her?" These two darker men, both showing off their physiques quite conspicuously and brandishing weapons certainly looked like the type of help that he needed. His wide eyes fixed on Ridaan, as he as he looked like the more amenable of the two.

It was the exact sort of thing that Tafari stayed away from his home land to do. Without hesitation, he dismounted, took up his second axe, and jogged off into the trees in the direction the elf had indicated. It was hardly the first time he'd started out without verifying that anyone was following him to assist. His wordless confidence and lack of checking with his Ridaan were decidedly not the best etiquette for a partnership, but he'd always shrugged it off afterwards with a quip about doing it himself if Ridaan wasn't up to the challenge. Luckily, Tafari's trotting pace wasn't difficult to catch up with at these times. He wasn't so mindless as to sprint into unknown danger.

The elf boy took a startled step back as the big man passed, having expected some other bit of interaction, then quickly looked up to Ridaan hopefully. "You'll help?"

Ridaan raised a dark brow and looked at Tafari. The boy spoke of a girl being taken by ‘plant things’. Well, plants were not as tasty as meat, but saving a girl, perhaps an elf, was the thing that heroes did, wasn’t it? Then the big barbarian dismounted and jogged into the trees. No plan, no agreement, just…went.

The hunter chuckled and shook his head, slowly dismounting as he drew his sword. The boy glanced back at Ridaan. “You’ll help?”

“We’re heroes,” he replied. “It’s what we do. Mind the horses.” He began striding into the forest, but then paused to ask the boy’s and the friend’s name, before swiftly running into the forest after Tafari. There was no way he was going to let the big lug get the first unofficial win.

‘Did the beefsteak even look for tracks?’ he wondered, seeing the contrast in the elf’s light prints and the heavy ones from his partner. This would have been so much easier in his other form, but Tafari did not know about that part of him. He was likely to swing his huge axe and attempt to slice the wolf in two!

He came up behind the man, noting that he seemed to have found the trail the boy had left in his desperate run to escape. Now they just had to look for ‘plant things’…

Which were all around them. Concerned about grabbing vines and trees that hit you with their branches, Ridaan pulled out a dagger for his left hand. Better two claws than one; and listened as they moved deeper into the forest for signs or sounds of the captured girl.

The elf boy's expression of surprise changed to relief as he realized Tafari was rushing off to help. His pale blue eyes swept back to the hunter, seeing him dismount as well. Ridaan's words seemed to reassure him further. "Thank you, thank you," he stammered. He watched the second nearly shirtless adult human head into the woods, wondering if they all dressed like that. When asked about names, he replied "Oh, I'm Onver. And my friend is Shalana. Please hurry!" Then, he dashed towards the horses to catch their reins and hold them while the heroes did their job.

Tafari wasn't sprinting, and Ridaan could catch up if he ran. The barbarian was also making a bit of a racket crashing through branches, not caring if they scratched the exposed skin of his muscles that bounced with each stride. He merely grunted as he heard the hunter come up behind him. Tafari was going into 'fight mode', and his civilized brain was giving way to a more primitive mode.

It wasn't long until they heard a weak cry, slightly to the left of the path they were running along. Tafari veered in that direction, raising his axes as he did so, ready to swing at the first sign of an enemy. There was a second cry, definitely female, and soon the two men could spot light-colored clothing, then the fair elf girl that wore it. She was facing towards the heroes as she was dragged by two thin woody humanoid shapes that were actually shorter than her. Three more, taller and sporting long thin woody needles all along their bodies followed on either side.

9c10c5806636ae267b7065708dc98ba2.jpg

blight.jpg

2 Twig Blights (right) are holding the girl and 3 Needle Blights (middle) are escorting

All 6 beings turned to look at Tafari as he crashed through the forest towards them. After a moment of recognition, the elf girl screamed, "HEEEEEEEEELP!"

Tafari lept into battle at the same time one of the taller Needle Blights reached out towards him. He easily lopped off one of its arms at the elbow, and the creature stepped back, its mouth open in a silent scream. The smaller Twig Blights started dragging Shalana faster, as if they could actually outrun their pursuers. To her credit, the elf girl struggled and tried to kick at their feet, making small sounds of protest as she was dragged.

The other two Needles looked from their injured companion to Ridaan as he arrived. One turned to follow the their captive, looking like it would intersect with Ridaan if he went to help her. The other lurched towards Tafari, thinking he was distracted by turning its friend into kindling.

Last edited:
The beasts were slightly shocking; things that should not be alive. They were a cross between a plant and a man, but all thorns and harsh bark. The fact that they moved, and their eyes gleamed with intelligence, caused Ridaan to hesitate a moment as Tafari charged straight into battle. The sound of his powerful axe splitting one of their arms off snapped the hunter out of his awe.

He turned to run after the girl. Her screaming was pitiful, and he didn’t want her to be hurt. The Needle was tall, and swung with his hard, prickly arms at Ridaan’s head. The hunter ducked underneath the arm and swung his sword at the spindly legs, cutting through one and hitting the other. Ridaan saw it go down, and though it was not ‘killed’, he did not think it would follow. He sprinted after the two Twiggy things that were clutching their captive.

There was no way to strike at them with his sword without risking injury to the elf. Instead, he gripped the hilt and brought it down hard on the ‘head’ of one of her captives, hoping that it would respond similarly to a humanoid creature and go down.

There was a decided note of satisfaction from the sound of splitting wood. Tafari was further emboldened by how easily his the first Blight was dismembered. This would likely be a short fight. The second stepped around its injured comrade and lunged for the barbarian, who swept its arms aside with the handaxe in his left, then followed through with the swing by burying his battleaxe in the plant's thick woody thigh. It didn't go clean through, but the creature fell under the impact onto its useless knee.

To her credit, there was a healthy mix of fight in Shalana's fear, and she did her best to kick at the legs of the two Twig Blights who were almost comically shorter than her. Though, the Needle was the immediate danger to Ridaan. But, not for long. Its swing failed to connect with the agile hunter, and the taller foe lost a foot to Ridaan's sword. The creature fell, reaching out for Ridaan again as it did so, but its slow awkward fall to the ground was easily avoidable.

As the Twig Blights hurried to drag the elf off, one looked back to see its larger guards fairing poorly against the new arrivals. It didn't have eyes, but the slits that would have held a flesh creature's eyes widened in alarm as it watched the hilt of Ridaan's sword come down smack on it's head. It also fell under the attack, letting go of Shalana's arm as it did so. One might have a twinge of sympathy for the small plant creature as it wrapped both it's arms over its head in a show of pain and attempt at defense. The other tugged on the elf girl hard, causing her to stumble. It looked like it was trying to rush away from the fight, but it wasn't much stronger than Shalana to begin with.

The sound of Tafari fighting behind him was reassuring. Ridaan knew he didn’t have to worry about the ones back there. At least, for the most part. He leapt over the reaching had of the tall creature behind him, running forward as the one he hit went to its knees and releasing the girl.

‘Two down,’ thought the hunter, sprinting ahead. He had to be careful of his footing; the entire forest was a tangle of roots and vines, and it occurred to him that more than the few they had encountered might be able to move. What if the very trees themselves came to life and took offense of their handling of their cousins?

He lopped off the smaller head of the one pulling the elf along, sending it bouncing across the undergrowth. That seemed to be enough to loosen its hold on the girl. To her credit, it seemed like she was going to keep running.

Ridaan paused and turned around to see how his partner was faring. From what he could see, it looked like the barbarian was doing just fine, and the hunter took a moment to admire his fierce battle face as he fought. Definitely a warrior worth his mettle!

By dragging the girl, the second Twig Blight unwittingly exposed its head to an easy decapitation. The woody orb rolled into the underbrush to rot and become one with the forest again, while the body staggered and fell, while still holding onto Shalana's arm. She cried out again, but more in surprise than fear, and she pried the barked fingers off her arm. Then, she looked back to her rescuer, and pointed behind him, "Look out!"

Behind Ridaan, the Twig he'd bopped on the head was helping the taller Needle Blight walk, and the two lurched towards the hunter. A long hand with many sharp protrusions reached for him, seeming undaunted by losing its foot.

Beyond them, Tafari raised his left hand high and brought the handaxe down into the empty eyes of the Needle blight he'd driven to the ground. It's arms flailed up, as if to block the blow, but they were too slow and fell, lifeless, to its sides. Without pause, the barbarian immediately spun to face the one-handed Blight that had first attacked him. It had gotten over its initial surprise, and was striding back to resume its attack. None of these creatures were any smarter than the other, and Tafari easily cut the remaining hand off at the wrist, and delivered a hefty kick to its pelvis, knocking it onto its back.

Tafari’s expertise with his axe saved Ridaan and the elf from a worse threat. Watching him at work was a treat; the man was born to chop wood, it seemed. And as he moved through their two opponents, he looked more like he was dancing than fighting.

But there was more to do. Ridaan saw the two helping each other, moving towards him, and grabbed his hilt with two hands to swing across the middle of the larger Needle Blight. The smaller Blight did not concern him. Had there been a swarm of ten or twenty they would have been overwhelming, but one? He could see that Tafari still had one of their larger foes to dispatch and had kicked it back, almost playfully.

“Stop playing around,” he called out to the Barbarian, “it’s cruel to see you taunt them as you do. Just kill it!”

Perhaps, with the stronger adversaries down, the small Blight supporting the needle would flee. If not…it would only be a matter of time before the battle was won.

Last edited:
Ridaan's unobstructed two-handed swing cleaved the taller woody enemy in half. It's mouth was open as the torso fell to the ground, but no sound came out. The last Twig helping it walk went down with even less effort. The elf girl watched her captors fall, one by one, then looked up at Ridaan expectantly.

Tafari instinctively focused on the greatest enemies, which were the taller Needles. These weren't very worthy foes, but with a child in the mix, it was better that it wasn't a long fight. He hadn't even gotten into full battle lust, and Ridaan's taunt slipped through. The barbarian dropped his smaller axe and lifted his battleaxe high in the air, then brought it down, cleanly cutting the top half of the last Needle's head clean off. Then, he turned to his partner with a snort, "I didn't want to hurt the girl with flying limbs." He looked at the scene surrounding Ridaan, noticing there were 3 fallen foes to his 2. Tafari's handsome face scowled, "Yours were children," heavily implying that the two Twigs didn't compare to his own fewer kills.

"Thank you, thank you," the elf girl finally said, as she figured their banter meant the fight was over. She kicked the closest dead Twig, seemingly not scared by the corpses' presence. "Did you find Onver?" she suddenly remembered her friend.

Ridaan glanced at the girl. ‘A flying limb could hurt her,’ he agreed, ‘though caution sometimes came with a high price.’ Turning back to the barbarian he grinned. “Aye, children compared to the big ones, but we never waged on size,” he raised an eyebrow, “and these were nasty, evil little tykes with ill intent. Don’t worry – the day has not ended yet, and you might still get a chance to balance the scale.”

He ran a hand through this thick hair, brushing it from his eyes, and sheathed his weapons. He smirked at his companion, noting that the man had already begun to keep score. Although he had seemed reluctant at first to agree, it was apparent that their friendly arrangement was already at the fore of his thoughts.

"Thank you, thank you," the elf girl finally said, as she figured their banter meant the fight was over. She kicked the closest dead Twig, seemingly not scared by the corpses' presence. "Did you find Onver?" she suddenly remembered her friend.

“Onver? Is he about yea tall,” Ridaan held his hand flat to his ground at mid-rib level, “looks like you, and good with holding horses? Yes. He’s waiting.” He began to take the trail back the way they had come. It was easy enough; Tafari’s mad dash through the forest had cut a wide trail, and they were not that far from where they started. “Tell me,” he asked the girl, “are these Blights common in this area?”

As he walked he scanned the trees, searching for signs of other threats. This was supposed to be a holiday. A trip to the Marquis to celebrate and be celebrated. And though he wasn’t against the random threat, it had no profit to it. No pay or reward, aside from walking away intact. There wasn’t much enjoyment in the dead, not unless their pockets were full of gold. Those things they encountered had no pockets, and worse yet, no hearts to feast upon…he wiped at the corner of his mouth stepped back onto the path where the horses and Onver eagerly waited.

Tafari grunted again. He knew the terms of the wager, but he had to point out that he'd killed more of the more dangerous enemy. Though, he wouldn't go back on his word. He'd just harp on it. He picked his second axe back up and put neither away, as it looked like Ridaan thought the danger was over. "Yes, perhaps more monster children will come running to their deaths to balance our wager," he tugged on his companion's heartstrings, whether or not he felt like anything was wrong it in, himself.

The barbarian followed behind the other two, keeping a sharp eye out for pursuit from behind and from either side. Shalana seemed a little intimidated by Tafari, and she eagerly walked by Ridaan's side. "Oh, good. I was worried about him," she seemed like a precocious girl, even worried more about her friend than she had been for herself who'd actually been caught. "No! We wouldn't have tried to have a picnic if they were normal. They ruined everything."

"Shalana!" When they came in sight of the road, Onver dropped the horses' reigns and rushed over to hug the girl. She hugged back, but less enthusiastically, and chided, "You can't just drop the horses and yell."

“Well, they didn’t ruin everything,” Ridaan stated. “I mean, you’re not chopped up into tiny little pieces and bar-b-qued on a spit…” He made himself hungrier, and immediately regretted the mental image that had evoked.

"Shalana!" The boy shouted, running over to the girl. Ridaan watched the horses, newly freed, canter down the road. Shit.

She hugged back, but less enthusiastically, and chided, "You can't just drop the horses and yell."

“Yeah,” said Ridaan, gesturing to the fleeing mounts. “We brought your girl back, now get our horses!” He furrowed his brow at the elf lad. “I gave you one job, and you messed that up.” In truth, it was the hunger talking, but the hunter was thinking of the speed of man and horse. The only way they’d get their horses back now was with an apple or by changing, and if he changed, he’d hunt. A dead horse was only good for one thing, and it certainly wasn’t for riding. “And here I was thinking that you’d make a good hired hand.”

Both the Shalana and Tafari gave Ridaan a look for his comment about the elf girl being dismembered and cooked. Tafari said nothing, though. His sensibilities weren't delicate, but he had a presence of mind of what not to say to children. Shalana was more effected, and she took a couple steps sideways to walk farther away from the hunter. She wasn't scared of him, per se, but nor did she feel cuddly with her rescuer. "Still ruined our picnic.." she mumbled, whether or not Ridaan heard it over their loud steps through the forest.

Tafari watched the elf boy drop their horses and sighed with the boy's cry sent them away. "Blast.." he grunted, then took off at a jog. The horses were mildly spooked and slowed their pace after a bit. None of the three were out of sight when the sound of Tafari whistling to them reached Ridaan's ears.

Shalana kept the reunion hug short before she pushed Onver off and pointed at the horses. "That wasn't smart," she declared, and the boy shrank a little. She was obviously the boss of the duo.

"I'm sorry," Onver mewled, looking between Shalana and Ridaan, hoping the adult wasn't really mad about the horses. He'd expected a more joyous reunion than this had turned out to be.

"You heard him, go!" Shalana bossed the elf boy again, and after another look to Ridan, he jogged off down the wooded path after Tafari. "He means well.." the elf girl sighed, and it sounded like something she'd heard an adult say and adopted the same mannerism. Then, she looked up to the hunter, "Our village is that way, anyways. Can you walk us there?"

Up ahead, the horses had slowed to a fast walk, and Tafari was gaining on them, talking soothingly. When he heard Onver coming up behind him, he spun, identified that it wasn't another attack, then held up his hand to stop the boy from charging in. "Be calm, and they'll calm," his deep voice carried back.

"He means well.." the elf girl sighed, and it sounded like something she'd heard an adult say and adopted the same mannerism. Then, she looked up to the hunter, "Our village is that way, anyways. Can you walk us there?"

“Of course, he does,” Ridaan agreed. “And of course, we can. It would be a shame to rescue only to have some bandits waylay you and undo all our good work, wouldn’t it?” he smiled down at the girl. “Any chance there will be lunch waiting?” He started walking down the path as Onver ran up to Tafari. The great barbarian had easily caught their mounts and was now speaking to the boy, telling him to stay calm, so the horses would be calm as well.

“Good advice,” Ridaan agreed. “Here,” he said to the girl, lifting her up into the saddle and taking the reins. He waited for the boy and Tafari, then started down the road in the direction they indicated their village was. He glanced at his companion. “The horses don’t count,” he said with a mischievous grin. “It’s still two to three.”

"Bandits?" Shalana wrinkled up her cute elf nose. "There are no bandits here. And, the tree monsters are new," he tone was cutely bossy, even talking to the much larger adult man. "Thank you, then," and she immediately started on her way in the direction that the horses, Tafari, and the boy had gone. "Our village isn't too far away." She looked up briefly, but then remembered teh tree canopy was too thick to see the sun. "There should be something to eat. I lost track of time while we were trying to have lunch, ourselves."

Tafari was petting the horses, soothing each intermittently while Onver watched. Apparently the boy wasn't accustomed to horsemanship, and Tafari was explaining in short sentences about not spooking the horses, especially when one was chasing them. He handed the reigns of Ridaan's horse to him with a nod when the hunter caught up. Onver's disposition towards the two men seemed to be about the same. Shalana still shied away from the wilder looking barbarian. It was clear who should go with who, and Tafari unceremoniously picked the boy up and deposited him on his saddle without warning. Onver yelped softly, but noticed the same thing happening with his friend, so he quickly accepted it. "We can walk," he mumbled, seeming perpetually defending his own self-esteem.

As they started, Tafari gave his partner a sideeye at his reference to heir bet. "I wouldn't kill the horses," he replied. Then added after a moment, "But they'd be a greater challenge than the stick children." He didn't thin that in front of the elf children was the right place to discuss their wager.

The trip was now uneventful. After a short ways, Shalana pointed at a side path branching off from the main one. "Our village is that way. They'll give you a huge reward for rescuing us," she sounded confident.

Back
Top Bottom