Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Paper vs plastic grocery bags

Kelly4

Meteorite
This was an in-depth conversation with my friends during freshman year of college while passing a joint. At the time, it was which was better – plastic was bad for the environment, but paper required cutting down trees, blah blah. Now that I have my undergraduate degree and am more worldly, here's the thought I had today: You can look good or at least neutral carrying a paper bag, but nobody can look good carrying a plastic one. You look like a bag lady.

I'm trying to get above my new member three post requirement.

Plastic. Recyclable as a general rule. Also many uses. One of which being that my cat actually enjoys getting into them and letting me carry her around. 😂 But seriously.

We need the trees.....and I’m awkward, so carrying a paper bag just makes me look all the more awkward.

Neither.

For small amounts of shopping I bring my own ruck-sack and for my weekly shopping I have a crate that I've been using so far for 2 years and shows no signs of wear and tear.

I typically shop at Aldi and they have these really high quality plastic bags that I like to use when I go shopping. I use them over and over again. I haven't used paper in so long. Plastic all the way for me! I always make sure to recycle it when done also. ^^

They have banned bringing own bag here in California and some other states because of the virus. Now they are offering the cheap plastic or paper bags again for free.

My local recycler will not take plastic bags, I either have to take them to a specialty place or throw them away. So I attempt to get as much use out of them as possible.

I would like to use more paper; but the construction is often too poor and they break on me at some inopportune times.

Near me plastic as always been available and it's the most used by far!
Plastic is very convenient too since it can be used for practically anything such as not having liquid spill everywhere if something breaks, for the dog, or carrying items.
Paper could be used for the same things, but it is so much bulkier.

I can't think of any reasonable benefits to paper... However, carrying one paper bag that is perfectly packed with goods is easier on the hands and cooler-looking than a whole buncha plastic bags!

Where I live paper bags are quite rare, we get plastic only unless you're in McDonalds. They only do paper. Might just be my town and hopefully not all of Britain, but as a result I always worry paper bags will break or tear easily despite having no evidence for this. And never walk to McDonalds in the rain without a plastic bag.

It depends upon the shop I walk into. Some don't allow you to bring your own bags and others do. I have a cloth bag and plastic handy in my backpack. Both get washed or reused/sanitized often.

Trader Joe's bags are the best. Anything paper with a handle is good in my book. My area just recently started getting rid of plastic bags and replacing them with paper bags; the only problem is that 80% of them don't come with a handle to hold, so it makes carrying a few of them an arduous task. But I will miss using plastic bags as small garbage bags in my apartment. It just isn't the same using paper.

Plastic all the way. I reuse a ton of them, plus I can do my best to carry twelve of them inside all at once. If you go to your car twice, you’re a square 🤷‍♀️

They banned plastic here - and then they said "no cloth bag" due to ronny. Yeah. Back to plastic.

Neither of them. I like using a fabric reusable bag. Or bags, one bag is never enough for a family. I really dislike those thin plastic bags that always tear, and when it's rainy, paper also isn't the best idea...

Even for me, when I do go, I take my own reusable bags. Another sad truth is, the cost of those paper and plastic bags are pushed off on to the customer.

Some places will give you a refund if you use your own. It's not much really, about 5 to 10 cent per bag of your own you use.

Back
Top Bottom