Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Faerie Wonderland (Zaila and Styx)

Zaila

Super-Earth
image-1.jpg

Tamarang is a world wrought with magic from the beings that dwell within it to the plant life decorating the landscape for as far as the eye can see. Flowers and ferns of every color; everything alive and magnificent. Kyria's people, the Ice Fae, live within this enchanted land, but not all of it represents light and good alignment. There is another section, a darker one, that emanates evil and maliciousness. The Ice Fae avoid this section as much as they can but, as we all know, evil the majority of the time wins out.

The darker side, the Unseelie, had been working for months on strategies to take over all of Tamarang. They wanted the entire region to be nothing but dark alignment and would stop at nothing until they achieved this goal. It had been several months and their conquest plans were almost complete, but one thing stood in their way, regulations. In Unseelie society, men ruled every single authority department and women were reduced to nothing more than decorations for their husbands. In contrast, the Ice fae believed in women ruling and the method had worked for thousands of years so they saw no reason to change it.

Recent events left the Ice Fae without a queen and Kyria, the queen's daughter was set to rule after the queen's passing. The Unseelie had caught wind of this, their king also on his death bed. The Elders knew they needed to act fast and force a marriage between the prince and the princess if they had any hopes of conquering and staying in power of all of Tamarang. Two weeks had passed, and Kyria's mother finally left the waking realm to neverending bliss in the spirit realm.

The Unseelie knew now was the time they needed to put their plans into action and started sending out factions of a hundred or so soldiers to pick off the outlying towns around the kingdom. Within weeks the towns were destroyed and the people were either enslaved or killed. The kingdom was in an uproar because they knew what would happen once the prince's officials forced a marriage between their princess and their employer.

And just as suddenly as the attacks started, they suddenly ceased. The Unseelie's soldiers vanished into the night. Things seemed like they had calmed.

But something was sent to the Ice Court. A black tattered cloak thrown over it's shoulders, a heavy hood hid it's face. Weathered and bent it, passed without challenge to the Throne Room of the ice castle. It approached the throne itself and bowed. It's very presence a promise of death.
"Hail, Ice Princess" It's voice cracked, "I am the representative of the Dark Court, and personal messenger of the Prince. You know why I am here. These attacks upon your borders are merely a taste of what is to come. Your lands will burn and be swallowed by Darkness. Your people will be struck down where they stand. Any who survive will be taken for us to do as we will with them. Your castle will crumble. Your country, will come to an end."

The Dark thing smiled, showing a mouth full of jagged and broken teeth. "Or, we can compromise. Your country's full and unconditional surrender. And your marriage to the Prince."

It reached out with a clawed hand and slashed, and upon the far wall, three lines of black fire appeared. "You have three days to decide. When the last line of fire fades I will return to hear your answer. And now, your Highness, I shall take my leave" It turned to leave before stopping and turning back to the throne "Forgive me your Highness for not asking sooner, but are there any messages you will me to convey to the Prince?"

[Sorry about the lateness. It's this acceptable? Or is there something that could be changed?]

Despite the horror happening around her, Kyria remained calm. However, inwardly, she was screaming and begging the Elders for guidance on what to do in this most desperate of situations. Then, as if her prayers had been answered, the battles stopped. Whoever was enslaved was still enslaved and what was destroyed remained destroyed, but the violence ceased and peace was available to the realm once more. Settled within the main court, on a throne made of enchanted ice so it never melted, Kyria waited for her subjects to come. One by one she assured them everything would be alright and she would find a way to restore balance between the Unseelie and the Ice Fae once more.

Word came by a messenger that someone from the Unseelie court wished to speak to her. Knowing she had no choice in the matter, or else chance another war being waged, she approved the audience and watched as the figure ambled into the throne room. Narrowed, calm eyes watched as the figure bowed to the throne, a shiver snaking up her spine simultaneously. This figure, whatever it was, heralded a dark presence and caused the air about her to become cold and dead, a feeling she found quite unsettling. When it spoke its voice did absolutely nothing to sway her uneasiness, rather increased it. A simple nod was given to the creature when he spoke of her already knowing his purpose, her heart tightening in her chest at the very thought of it.

"Yes, I do. Now state your message." She wanted the being gone from her presence as soon as she could manage it. The longer he stayed the more hopeless she felt and it wasn't helpful in this situation for their ruler to feel like she could do absolutely nothing to stop what she feared was going to happen. Fingers tightened on the arms of her throne as he spoke so nonchalantly about the destruction of her kingdom. He was referring to it as nothing more than an ant hill someone kicks over for fun, completely annihilating the hard work of all those tiny creatures. Teeth clenched at the solution he posed and she stood from her throne, looking down at the man like a bug that needed to be squished. However, that glare soon turned to wide eyes of shock as three flames appeared on the far wall off to the side. He went on to explain what the lines signified and she could feel anger bubbling up beneath her skin.

Hatred replaced the shock as the man turned, aiming to leave the throne room before turning back and asking if she had any messages she would like to convey. Her tone came out hard and angered. "You tell your precious prince that if I do not come up with another solution and the marriage is made to happen, I will not be reduced to a pet. Women rule here in Tamarang and while it's the opposite in that of the Unseelie, I will not live my life by those standards. That is all. Off with you." She waved her hand off and waited for him to leave the throne room before letting out a loud scream of frustration. Two days she'd been Queen and already she had the entire fate of the Ice Fae on her shoulders. The frail fae collapsed and cried into her knees, hugging them tightly to her chest. She was young yet, only seventeen, and not ready for such mature responsibilities.

The Dark thing grinned at the Queen's response. Bowing low once more, it's voice rasped "I hear and obey, my Queen. I shall convey you message to the Prince." It looked back up to the Queen and met her eyes for the first time. Eyes orange and slitted with out a hint of soul met her own. "And I shall return in three days time. Be well until that time, my Queen" The malevolent creature turned and slowly made it's way back out of the vast throne room. As the great doors slammed shut, a scream of anguish reached it's ears. It grinned. Oh, the Prince would be pleased. Making it's way slowly to the entrance of the castle, it looked back one last time wondering if it had served his master well, it dissolved into a flock of crows and vanished, like a nightmare come morning.

It reclaimed it's form in the throne room of the UnSeelie court. Prince Varren was there, waiting for His servant's return. "Report Ssarlsken", the Prince spoke softly, and slightly curt. "How fairs the new Queen?". Ssarlsken, Closed it's eyes and began to speak, slowly. It gave every detail of what it saw. Described every sound that it had heard. It was epically detailed on the subject of the Queen. What was said, and her reaction both visual and tonal. Slowly Ssarlsken opened it's eyes once again, it's report finished.

Varren was pleased with his servant. It had all gone according to his plan. Ssarsken had had the desired effect, as did the words it was commanded to speak. Her reaction told him all that he needed to know. She was under duress and vulnerable. It would make her all the more receptive to his demands. He would take no less than complete dominion over her land and her hand in marriage. He laughed softly to himself at her naivety. She would live as he desired her to live.

He closed his eyes and let his thoughts drift. A land of his own, at last, and so close. Because of those damn Eldritch rituals, his father never age. Anything short of violence or abdication, his father would all ways be king in this court. The King had been King for as long as anyone could remember. But now, Varren thought, this land of Ice will be mine! All he had to do, was wait.

The moment their Queen collapsed, the handmaidens that had been standing to the side of her throne rushed to her side, scooping her up and holding her steady as they exchanged worried glances with each other. They both were thinking the same thing, that this woman wasn't stable enough to rule their country and thwart the Unseelie's attempts to conquer them. Unfortunately, she was the only heir and was their only means of possibly continuing to live a life of harmony away from the control of their darker relatives. "Would you like anything your majesty?" the girl to the left asked softly. Kyria shook her head. "No, I would just like to retire to my bedchambers." The girls nodded simultaneously and released her, balance back enough that she could walk on her own. "Actually..." She turned back towards the maidens. "Summon General Huskel. If anyone can help us in this dire time of need it's him. I also want to see if he's been able to recruit any more fae for our cause and possibly gain some allies. Tell him I want to speak with him immediately."

The girls nodded and ran off to summon the general who was in the middle of a training session with some new recruits. "The Queen wishes an audience with you." The general grunted, annoyed at being disrupted, but he had no choice other than to acquiesce to the queen's summons. Within moments he was walking into the throne room and bowed once he reached the queen's dias. She was still standing near the steps, not caring to reposition herself upon the throne just yet. "General, it's nice to see you. It is urgently that I seek this audience with you. You see...the situation with the prince has just gotten grimmer." She pointed to the three flames on the wall. "Those were put there by a messenger from the Unseelie court. They represent the number of days I have to decide whether or not I want to marry the Unseelie prince. General...if I choose not to wed him, all of Tamarang will be burned to the ground and I fear I'll be left alive just to torture me as I watch my kingdom fall." The general nodded, considering this proposal. "I'll start gathering troops from the northern villages. The Unseelie haven't reached there yet and they're enemies with the darker ones as well. Your majesty, I will do everything in my power to ensure you do not end up with the prince." She smiled softly and nodded. "I know you will General Huskel. You're the greatest man for the job and I have faith in you. Tomorrow bring me news of what you're able to rally. You're dismissed, you may resume your training." The general nodded, bowed, and walked out of the throne room. Kyria stared at the three flames on the wall, one of them already getting dim. Three days...Three days was all she was being given before his men would move in and completely destroy her kingdom. Three days until she was either killed or enslaved. Three days until her life would be changed forever...

A new dawn lit the land. As the sun's first rays brightened the land, one of the Marks of flame disappeared from the wall. Only two days left. It was only hours latter that the Prince received a report of changes within Tamarang "My Prince, we are receiving reports of troop movements. They seem to be gathering an army to defend themselves." His scout reported to him. The scouts wings quivered with exhaustion. He had brought the news a quickly as his wings would carry him.
"A show of force? So she thinks that she can hold us back?" The Prince mused. "Send forces to the border. But under no circumstances cross it. This is to show that we are quite ready for violence if the Queen chooses that path." He though for a moment "And send the war-slaves. Let us see how willing they are to fight through ranks of their own countrymen to get to us. Keep me informed. Dismissed.". The scout rose from the floor and made his way back to his quarters to rest before delivering the Prices message to his Generals.

Varren returned to his own quarters. He wanted privacy for this. "Ssarlsken, I summon thee", he spoke softly. "Yes, my lord?", it's voice slithered as it emerged from one of the many shadows of the dark room. "How may I serve?" The Prince turned to his messenger " After the troops are in position I need you to return to Tamarang and speak to the Queen once more. Tell her that I wish to speak to her in person. I would meet her on the third day. She may choose among any of the border town for our meeting. She may also bring bodyguards if she feels she needs them, but let her know I will be bringing my Blight Wolves if she chooses to do so. Return to me with her answer"
"It shall be done" Ssarlsken rasped "But if I might suggest but one thing?"
"Speak"
"Do not go easy on her. She may be young, but she has fire and anger. Crush it sooner rather than later"
Varren considered this, "Your advice is always welcome Ssarlsken. You are dismissed.".
"My Lord". Ssarlsken whispered before vanishing once more into the darkness.

The price took his seat before his desk, littered with maps, plans, and reports. He closed his eyes and sank into the chair. He looked forward to his meeting with the Queen. And how ever it went only two days before he could make Tamarang his own. By Blood or Bond, it would be his

The queen had a sleepless night comprised of severe tossing and turning as images of her kingdom burning to the ground raked her mind, torturing her sleep. Several times she'd awoken, sitting up stark straight in her head, sweat beads on her forehead and her breath ragged. Eyes darted around the room, expecting to see it engulfed in flames, relief washing over her to see the room still in one piece. If she had two more nights of this she would go absolutely insane. When she rose for the day, she scoped the kingdom for an herbalist, buying several sleeping agents from the woman and, in turn, offering her and her family a section of the castle to stay in while the war was happening.

The general came into the throne room a couple hours after Kyria had arrived, a broad smile on his features. "I managed to gather troops from the outlying towns to the north. They were more than willing to ally with us against the Unseelie and wish to fight as soon as they can." Kyria was delighted at this news and nodded approvingly, but a brow rose in concern when the man's smile vanished into worry. "General...what is it? Is there something else?" He nodded. "You see, your Highness, the Unseelie captured many of our people and made them into war slaves. A scout I sent out confirmed this... If we fight, we'll be put up against brainwashed versions of soldiers and townsmen that used to live within our community." She stiffened, her fingers tightening on the arms of the throne, teeth gritting. The prince was smart...something she was hoping she wouldn't have to take into consideration besides this entire ordeal, but it seemed she had no choice. "I see," she said finally and rose from the dais, walking over to one of the windows and looking out onto her almost desolate kingdom. "Those men are no longer with us. Their spirits have been broken and they're merely tools for the Unseelie. You would be doing them a favor by taking their lives for it would end their misery and send them to a blissful everafter in the heavens."

The general blanched, but nodded, knowing what the queen said was true. Still, some of those men were ones he'd developed a likeness for and saw plenty of potential in. Despite being a hardened soldier, he wasn't sure he could bring himself to attack those he'd trained. "That is all General," she said distractedly and continued looking out the window. The general left the throne room. About an hour later, someone else appeared... The being that caused Kyria's blood to run even colder than it normally did whenever he was around. "Yes?" she demanded curtly as she walked back to her throne, settling on it and fixing the creature with an hate-filled glare. "What is it this time?" She waited for the being to speak its piece and bristled with anger at the prince's new demand. "He has proven he's skilled in the ways of battle and he knows how to break me down bit by bit, so does he really expect that I would be foolhardy enough to meet with him? Absolutely not. How do I know if it's a trap or not. The mention of me bringing bodyguards is not enough of an assurance since those can be quickly disposed of by skilled hands. I refuse to meet with your prince." Kyria was trying to be sensible in this situation and knew that the prince had something up his sleeve if he wished to meet her in person. She wouldn't fall for it. "You can deliver that message to your prince. Now leave my court."

"I will do as you command your Majesty, but this is most unwise. My Master is extending the hand of diplomacy. He wishes to speak with you before you make your final judgment. As for the meeting being a trap there is no point in simply capturing you. It wound not make your countrymen any more willing to give in. As for killing you," Ssarlsken grinned "you would have long ago passed into the Nether if that was the objective". It bowed low to the queen, head nearly touching the floor. "Perhaps an arrangement can be made? A more comfortable local perhaps? My master is a man of his word. There will be no aggressive actions taken against you or your country until your final decision is made." It chuckled darkly, a sound that cut to the bone. "You could walk alone into the Unseelie Court and no harm would be done to you." It rose to it's feet once again "What say you, your Majesty? Will you send me away with a complete refusal of The Princes offer of diplomacy? Or will you choose to meet with him, where you have no fear of traps or treachery? I can wait, you Majesty. For I have all the time in the world."

Kyria waited for the creature to heed her command, but he stalled, speaking his piece. Unfortunately, the thing was making sense and, as much as she didn't wish to admit it, she was actually considering going back on her decision. Perhaps she had been too quick in her refusal... Perhaps in doing that it meant she let her emotions rule her rather than logic? No... She had refused because she was weighing the option of it possibly being a trap and given the already performed acts of the prince it wouldn't surprise her if he -did- have an ambush planned. Suddenly, she felt like the whole world was on her shoulders. Everything depended on her. The kingdom, the future of it, and the hope of keeping it in one piece. Once more fingers tightened on the arms of her throne, silver lashes knitting as she inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying to keep the anger boiling beneath her skin from worming its way into her voice. "You are very wise. Your Master was smart in choosing you as a messenger." Despite trying to keep the rage from her voice, she still couldn't help but speak through gritted teeth.

"I am definitely considering this second option that you speak of. Now...only one question remains, where to have it?" It seemed she was asking the creature, but she started speaking again immediately. "Plenty of the outlying towns know of your Master's advances and the threat that is inherent to them. Is he so foolish to think that there won't be a riot should he come into a town? There will be... I can guarantee it. So, we have to figure out a place that is secluded enough to keep the people oblivious to our meeting." She rose from the throne and went to the window again, her gaze landing on the court chamber behind the castle. It wasn't an upground chamber, it was beneath the water, held in a glass dome. "We will meet in the court chamber. He'll know of which one I speak of and what precautions to take to ensure he can breathe easily. I will meet him at five o'clock this afternoon. I will have two guards with me and he is only allowed to bring two as well, along with..." she turned, forcing herself to say the word without feeling her stomach tighten in painful knots. "You. Now leave me court. You have your answer and your meeting. You have nothing else to say to me so I demand you leave and quit dirtying my palace with your vile nature."

Granted he left, she would turn and look at the flames on the wall. The third one was completely gone and now the second one was fading which meant after this meeting she had only one more day to make her decision before her kingdom fell at the hands of the Unseelie. Kyria was well aware of the sacrifices that needed to be made. The life of one for the salvation of many, but she wasn't even in her twenties yet. That maturity level, that acceptance of what was best for the bigger picture, was years away. Sighing, she turned from the window and settled back into her throne, going over the words the man had said. Something stuck out in her mind now. Something she hadn't registered when it was originally said. "There will be no aggressive actions taken against you or your country until your final decision is made." What did he mean by -until?- She was quite aware of the savage nature of the Unseelie, but would he really make her life a living hell the moment the marriage was consummated? Her stomach was churning in knots again and her fingers quickly snapped. "Icewyne, now!" One of the maids jumped to attention to fetch her the strong liquor. Once it was in her fingers, she saw the world spinning and tilted her head back, giving into the buzz of the alcohol. It was probably the only relaxed moment she would have for the rest of her life.

"I am most gladdened by your change of heart your Majesty. I will carry this good new to my Prince as fast as my wings will carry me."Ssarlsken turned to leave the throne room shuffling softly against the floor as he made is it made it's way to the grand doors, but it turned back to look at the Queen once again."One last word of advice concerning the Prince and our Court: Darkness is a fluid thing, we are only as vile as we wish to be." And with those strange words it left the queen once more, to fly fast and hard on the wings of crows, to report to it's Master.

It only took a brief time for Ssarlsken to report to the prince in it's usual fashion. A detailed recitation of the entire meeting. The Prince was more than pleased with his servant's success. A meeting had been arranged. Not entirely the meeting he had asked for, but he had never expected to get it. It had simply been a starting bid. The optimum situation he could hope for. But now he was at the disadvantage. Meeting in the enemy's capital with nothing but what he carried and two bodyguards, as well as Ssarlsken. He smiled softly at that last option. Clearly she had not realized that it was more than a simple messenger. Now to select his bodyguards. He thought for a moment and decided on Rarth, captain of the Blight Wolves, as well as Domina, one of the Night Fae. But now for the far more important question: Would the Queen honor the tradition of safe passage? If she did not, and he was harmed, he would be force to annul the three day ceasefire and her land would be taken by force. He would deal with the issue if it came about, but for now he made due with sending for his guards

They arrived shortly after the summons were sent. Work travels fast when the very shadows can whisper. Rarth arrived first, his skin Black and dappled with many shades of the color was decorated with hundreds of scars. His white streaked hair long and unbound. And is eyes burning green when they caught what little light there was A Shifter by nature, he wore very little other then a leather kilt with a short sliver blade attached. Domina arrived after, taking her time as she always did. Her Luna moth wings carried her gently through the hall, not quite touching the ground. Dark of hair and pale of skin, she dressed comfortably, her dress woven of pale spider silk. The only thing strage about her was that the iris of her eyes refracted light in a rainbow of color. They both knelt at the dais, awaiting orders from their prince. They were both powerful and he would feel better having them at his side, but he needed more. Something that would insure against any kind of treachery. He stepped from the throne and stepped into shadow. Traveling donward, he made is way to the vault, where many of the creations of long since past were kept. But these he paid no mind He knew what he needed. There it was at the far wall of the vault. A heavy sword, bound to ceiling, floor and wall by cold iron chains. A relic from long ago, he wasn't certain he could control the thing, but it was better to have it and not need it, just in case. Slowly he disengaged the wards and detached the chains. It pulled in his hands as he strapped it to his sword belt, and a single bloodshot eye opened on the pommel.

He traveled back the throne room. a briefed his guards of the situation. They were at a disadvantage in that place, this meeting was necessary. The four of them walked to the side of the throne room. the whole wall cloaked in shadow."Domina, I want a water breathing spell set now." She nodded and cast the spell over the small group. she was nervous. She had little fondness of enclosed spaces. The prince began his own incantation, muttering softly with words passed down to him. The darkness of the wall slowly became something else. When he was finished, he mealy said "Goddess bless our passages" and the four stepped through, and traveled. and emerged into the court chamber below the waves.

Five o'clock came quicker than the faerie queen was anticipating. It seemed like only seconds had gone by since the creature left her court and now she was being prepared for the meeting, dressed in the ceremonial garb required of her to wear to the court, and told what to say and how to act diplomatically when in this type of situation. Ice-blue hues flicked to the reflective surface of the glass she was being dressed in front of, taking in the regal reflection staring back at her. It was someone that was much older than her, much wiser, and much more suited for this meeting. It was her mother... As she kept staring her own reflection came through, leaving a child-like woman standing on pedestal, staring at the mirror with horror as to what she would soon have to do.
(what she's dressed in <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/erianna_delancre/Ice_Queen_by_elanordh.jpg">http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/ ... anordh.jpg</a><!-- m -->)

After the garb was adorned, and her guards were gathered, they descended into the underwater court, heading to the throne room before the prince could arrive. Kyria took her place seated in the ice throne, the two guards at her sides. Above her were three massive ice structures, towers to be more specific, each one housing one of the spiritual elders that governed Tamarang. She wasn't aware of the political structure of the Unseelie, but these elders were mandatory for this meeting and whatever decision she made while having it to be considered legally binding. Twenty minutes was all she was allowed before the Prince walked into the grand court. Instantly all her muscles twinged painfully, but she kept her countenance calm and collected. By the end of this night the second flame would be extinguished leaving one more day for her to decide whether or not she was both humble and unselfish enough to abdicate her throne and accept marriage to the prince.

"You have reduced my kingdom to cinders," she began, not yet looking toward the vile prince. "You've systematically taken the strongest of my male villagers and brainwashed them to make sure they would be loyal enough to fight their own people." Now her gaze met his, the icy orbs burning with hatred. "You have made it so one sided that were I not to accept this marriage I would not only die, but I would die knowing I condemned my people to a life of servitude under your evil rule. Now, I am well aware that -should- I accept that it happening is still a likely possibility which is why I have a condition." She stood from the throne and walked until she stood a couple feet from the prince. He was much taller than her, which required that she look up when speaking, but that didn't seem to deter the defiance in her tightened features.

"I will willingly marry you on the condition that my people are allowed to live as they do now. Do what you will with me, but let them remain free from whatever sadistic rule it is your culture lives by. If you accept this, then you have my hand." She held her hand out as a literal display of her words being true. "So I ask you now Prince Varren, do you accept this offer?"

Back
Top Bottom