Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Your Favorite Video Games

GamerGuy

Gaming Since 1991
Oh look, GamerGuy talking about video games, he's so corny!

How about we do up to five of your all time favorites, and if you want to share why, go ahead.

1. Batman Arkham City: Crisp combat, amazing voice cast, decent enough story and tons to do.

2. Smash Bros. Ultimate: Video Games -The Game- As my favorite Youtuber Maximillian Dood would say. This game is a celebration of what brings us all together, in a fun fighting game to boot. There will never be something like Smash Ultimate ever again. Cloud vs Banjo vs Bayonetta vs Luigi vs Terry Bogard fighting in a stage to Undertale's Megalovania? Do one better... I dare you.

3. Red Dead Redemption: This game brought about a ton of freedom, fun side activities, a great narrative, and challenging missions. Another amazing package from Rockstar. And the shooting was very satisfying.

4. Final Fantasy X: My first Final Fantasy (I was a little late to the party) and boy am I glad my mom FORCED me to purchase this at an old Funcoland. I fell in love with the world, gameplay and characters (Lulu, I'm looking at you). The story was interesting, confusing at times and very heart wrenching. Music was fantastic too.

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake: I know, this one's fairly new and I may still be in my honeymoon phase with it. I missed out on VII for most of my life and this gave me a chance to get to know these iconic characters. I cannot wait for more. The quality of this game has gone beyond my expectations and even though my first playthrough was over 50 hours, I wanted 50 more. The music changes your mood, the in game models look arguably better than the cut scene renders, and it has mostly amazing combat. I cannot wait to see how this unfolds, and I will be playing FFVII on PS4 to see how the original was.

Comparing different genres is always hard, too hard for me if I'm honest, so what I'll do is less a ranking and more a splitting up in subcategories.

1. Dark Souls, the original one. I have little negative to say here. It's still the best level design I ever saw, it's among my favorite worlds, it has varied gameplay, a story that is nod spoonfed to you, isn't treating you as a toddler and instead forces you to use your noggn, it's great. It speaks for itself when everyone who played it knows where every single enemy is located after just a single playthrough. Yes, there's a lot of learning by dying, which won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's not your classic diabolo type power fantasy, the feeling of being powerful comes from a mechanical mastery that slowly develops over time.
  2. Cataclysm: Dark days ahead. Never heard of it? Few people have, and that's a shame. Just like Dwarf Fortress this game scratches my itch for super deep games with minimalistic graphic (in its purest for plain ascii), turn based playstyle, and a rough and steep learning curve. CDDA is a ... let's call it a zombie survival game. There's a lot more going on, but let's keep it at that. My first run lasted about an ingame hour. I ran out of my shelter, explored a forest, got thirty, drank some water, then proceeded to shit myself until a giant worm ate me. It's great. Similar to DS there's a lot of learning curve to enjoy
  3. Stellaris. I think there's a theme here. It's not a mechanically simple game, but that's not my primary draw here. It's a great playground for roleplay, especially the darker kinds. You want to enslave the galaxy? Kill every Xeno Skum you find, literally breed and slaughter intelligent lifeforms for food after having basically brainwiped them all? You want to play Skynet or ascend to psionic Godhood before dooming existence itself? Admittedly it's not the type of game I tend to actually finish. At some point it can get a bit dull, but it's really fun min fuel.
  4. Epic Seven. Good old gacha games, is there a genre with a worse reputation? I guess technically there is, but it's still generally looked down upon. Luckily I don't care. It's simply a well-designed game, it's not something you invest hours and hours into, but it has great designs, solid gameplay, there's a lot of tactics to optimize. It's a great thing to do while on the bus or at home in an emulator on the second screen while you watch some YT
  5. League of Legends. I haven't played it for quite a while, but with the right friends it's a great source for epic moments. Few things feel greater than flawlessly executed teamwork while being in a call with your friend. Sure, the community, while not quite as bad as most people think, is still far from nice, but that's what the mute button is for.

I love so many games that it's hard to choose just five. Still, I'll give it a go and pick some unforgettable adventures.

1. The Witcher 3: Awesome characters, beautiful and diverse locations, tons of quests, and an intricate, in-depth story that moved me more than many games have.

2. The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Some of the best writing I've seen in a TES game, fun combat RPG elements, interesting concepts of good and evil, and freedom to explore to one's content.

3. Resident Evil 4: Awesome characters, an atmospheric mix of action and survival horror, a good story, and features that make for easy replay ability.

4. Kingdom Hearts II: Awesome characters, a slightly darker but still overall lighthearted theme, a very long and dynamic story, and a chance to play multiple characters. I haven't played a KH game yet that I felt surpassed this one.

5. Yakuza 4: While my other choices are from well-known series, this one may be new to many. All Yakuza games have great characters and intricate stories, but what makes 4 my favorite is that it blends four of them into one cohesive package. Even better, the characters are all unique and play differently, making you have to work to master each character. The fighting is brutal and sometimes demanding, but satisfying and fun, as well. Throw in a free roaming experience in a life-like Japan, tons of mini-games, and a smattering of side quests, and you have a game that will keep you busy for a while.

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Yeah, yeah. Typical gamer guy. Whatever. :p
2. Suikoden 3 - Great story and characters. One of my favorite RPGs of all time!
3. Final Fantasy 8 - Great characters. Another one of my favorite RPGs of all time!
4. Original .Hack PS2 games - Great ARPG with really cool characters/
5. Warriors Orochi 2 - Hack and slash at its finest in my opinion. Over 100 characters and I get to be a badass. Hell yis!

By the way, console naming for these games may be off as lot are old.

1. Der Langrisser: This game is also known as Langrisser 2 and was never originally released in US. It was finally remade in the Langrisser 1 and 2 bundle in US. People would know the first game in US as Warsong on either old sega or nintendo. Der Langrisser I believe was the second one that didn't get US port. Regardless the second one had various battling mechanics and paths of leveling your commanders, along with multiple endings/routes. I enjoyed the sprite battles as well. Sadly the most recent remasters took a lot of those elements away and left the games feeling a bit lackluster in my honest opinion. (Sprite battles look too cartoony and main character class routes has been taken away completely from the second game where you could select choices and pick your own class. There are still 'class paths,' but they aren't like in the other game.) Guess it is okay starting out if one isn't familiar with it and looking for strategy rpg with level mechanics and various ending routes.
2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night: The old.. PS 1?(I believe) version, not the remake. The remake that came out on the handheld within one of the games voice overs were s***. I hated the way Alucard sounded in remake. But overall best Metrovania in my opinion when it did come out given the general variety of weapons, familiars, leveling, and different endings depending what you do.
3. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross: Both were great at their times. Chrono Trigger was another ambitious game with various endings that came out on SNES(?) and then Cross followed suit later with larger cast (PS2?) Plus I don't think you could recruit everyone in one sitting in Cross, like you could only get certain people on certain paths. Not that it probably matters as I doubt all characters will be used really, I had lot of teammates I never used, but still it was interesting given the wide variety of gameplay elements with the magic and team attacks.
4. Shadow Hearts Series: PS2 I think these were on, the third may of came out on PS3. The first one and second one had same character, the second was events after the first. These were dark base RPGs set in a Victorian timeline where your character had the ability to transform into demons mid fights. Interesting character cast, a wheel system for fighting and discounts in shops, and lot of other stuff that is hard to keep track of as it has been awhile since I played them. The last Shadow Hearts had a different character though, which it was 'okay,' but didn't hold up to prior two in my opinion. But most what drawn me to it was the Victorian timeline.
5. Persona 3: I guess. I mean, there are lots of games I can also think of, but impression wise and elements, Persona 3 takes the cake in dark, controversy JRPGs. Plus in all the Persona series, it had the best of endings and storyline in my opinion. What is not to love of school life, social life, and dungeon crawling in one gritty themed world? Yea, I know some of the other later two had dark elements as well, but they still don't beat them evoker usage for summoning Personas.

Other mentions. (I'll just quote myself from another thread.)
Disgaea(sp) Series - Allows character creation. Sort of 2D sprite TBS/RPG type grid base game. I know they are on steam, though Disgaea 5 got a lot of backlash due to content they didn't add from console(mostly multiplayer stuff, but if you don't care about mutiplayer stuff..) Think Final Fantasy Tactics if you played it or heard it, basically similar to that. (Personally I like Disgaea 2 the best as it felt like it had the best storyline out of all five of the games; I wasn't too much fan of 1, Larharl is a f**king annoying protagonist. You don't really need to play them in order as they have standalone stories, but later games have secret character cameos. In my opinion Disgaea 2 > Disgaea 5 > Disgaea 4 > Disgaea 3 > Disgaea 1. Also I think Disgaea 2 is relatively cheap. I don't know if all of them been ported for PC, but pretty sure 1, 2, and 5 have been on Steam. )

Phantom Brave - From same makers that did Disgaea series(I think Phantom Brave was on PC.) But basically similar TBS/RPG theme grid battle.

X-Com and X-Com 2 - Tactics games. X-Com 2 allows character creation and able to recruit characters you create. Both focus on humanity vs alien invasion. They can be pricey, I got mine on steam sales, so maybe if you interested in those you should probably wait or check on steam deals from time to time. There is perma death to soldiers if they die in battlle.

Legend of Heroes Trails in The Sky series- If you can get pass the grueling first several hours of gameplay, the story starts to pick up. There is no character creation, sadly, but it is basic RPG exploration and tactical battle elements. There is also minor side quests in each town and hidden quests, but the game carries on in a chapter to chapter verse; so if you miss something you missed it if you enter next chapter(this includes time sensitive quests for whatever chapter.)

Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel - Alternative, but it is a continuation of Sky series with different protagonists. The story is different, but you still may miss content of whatever prior events and some events may spoil the other series. Also there are cameos. I know first two games focuses on you being military academy student and the third is time skip to you being professor with your own branch of students in it.

Valkyrie Chronicles - Sort of has FPS elements, but not really. There has been a few PC ports, which are all pretty good. Most of the tech looks like old World War tech in combat. There are a very few side missions, but most of the gameplay takes place through just watching scenes and doing missions in a literal book page flipping format to tell the story. Not sure how to fully explain it beyond that. Oh yea. There is also Perma death of recruitable party members.

Catherine and Persona 5 have been my new favorites as of late. of course, I'm always happy with the things Atlas puts out.

Loved .hack series of games also. ♡

Diablo 2. Chrono Trigger. Crusader Kings 2. Half-Life. League of Legends. Max Payne. Path of Exile. Quake 3. Secret of Mana. Super Castlevania 4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Unreal Tournament. Warcraft 2.

Close favourites would be Grand Theft Auto 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2. The only reason they're not in my favourites is because of how poorly the online side of things are taken care of. For Honor is another close favourite but the game is poorly taken care of in regards to balance and developer communication. Assassin's Creed as a whole is my favourite series of all time but every game is pretty much littered with various issues. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is another very close favourite due to the Star Wars setting and lightsaber combat. Other Star Wars games have since improved in all areas over Jedi Academy except for the lightsaber combat. It is still the only Star Wars game to this date with any resemblance of a skill ceiling in that area. I love Battlefront 2 but it has very poor lightsaber mechanics and a low skill ceiling.

1. Rimworld - It's not incredibly known or anything, but I really love this game. It's very similar to dwarf fortress where you're building a base and colonizing the land. But there's a storyteller that creates many different events that refresh the game and it's also got a western sci-fi vibe to it as well. There's cannibals, mad squirrels, raiders every so often, relationships between your colonists, drugs, and even psychic powers. Oh, and the combat. It's simple yet rich enough to keep you going. What I crave for the most is the story telling element. Everybody's colony is different from one another due to the random occurrence of the events. They're never the same. Losing is breathtakingly fun.

2. Final Fantasy X - I was never a big fan of Final Fantasy, especially when I was younger. The fact that it was turn based just rubbed me the wrong way. I did not like the idea of having to wait to perform an action, even though I played Pokemon and it had the same exact effect. I'm pretty sure it was a 'patience' thing. Again, I was young and stupid. But Final Fantasy X changed everything for me. The story was compelling enough to where I was willing to wait those battles out just so I could see what happened next. I melted through each and every level so I could see Tidus and Yuna together, completing the ship. I was such a geek for romance too. Didn't like the finish but I still love the game.

3. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - This game is simply childhood. I was a big fan of fighting games, and an even bigger fan of Dragon Ball Z. My brother always argued that the third one they made was the best, but I simply liked this one more because of it's soundtrack. Honestly, it has one of the greatest soundtracks out there. Fighting with my brother was so much. Not to mention, the story mode had actual free roaming and a leveling up system, which wasn't seen from one or three.

4. Resident Evil 4 - Agreeing with 'True Grave' there. Easily one of my favorites. A perfect mix between action horror and survival horror. It was pretty much THE game back in the mid 2000's. Also, it was the first time 'Ganados' were used in the entire series. They were reiterated several times in the later installments. Whenever people think of Resident Evil, they think zombies. Yet this is the best selling and there are no zombies. Only.. civilized anti zombies. Not to mention, the merchant is my spirit animal. And Dr. Salvador is an icon to many. If it weren't for this game, Devil May Cry wouldn't be a thing either.

5. Devil May Cry 4 - My favorite hack and slash game of all time. Nero is a must for society. The first time Dante wasn't the main protagonist in the series. As a matter of fact, he was the enemy of Nero. I never played the older games so I knew little of Dante's Badassery at the time. Yet I definitely enjoyed the game. Some Romance too. It was fun. Combo's for days.

I'm all about that OG Deus Ex, bro. "God is the dream of good government" literally changed my epistemology, and on top of that the game is still more politically relevant than 90% of video released today. It's level design is truly iconic, and the music has aged like a goddamn wine.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn, and thank god it's getting a sequel
  2. The Fallout Series, except for 76 cause I don't buy tickets to shitshows
  3. Death Stranding, cause sometimes you just want to pretend to be of value to society
  4. The Last of Us, cause that's some good-ass zombie shit
  5. Pokemon, cause I grew up in the 90's

Final Fantasy 7 (the original and the remake both)

Knights of the Old Republic

And Soul Calibur (all of them but primarily the Sega Dremcast one)

Halo, all levels with ODST as my fav
Elder Scrolls, Skyrim
Castle Crashers
Shadow of Mordor
Gears of War #2 (Horde mode)

FF7, FF8, Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls, any really good rpg. I love them all really. Recently playing Greedfall and enjoying that as well.

It's used to be one of the many paradox grand strategy games but my favorite game now has to be Hardspace Shipbreaker. Such a great game even early in its development!

There's some really good titles in here. Most of which I've heard of, if not played. Shocked to not see Breath of the Wild anywhere but we can all agree that it's a special feeling when a game is awesome.

Oh gosh so many, but the top 5 would have to be God of War(newest one), Silent Hill 3, Persona 5, Borderlands 2 and Fallout 3.

I regret to admit I still have to finish God (Dad) of War from 2018. I love watching it, but haven't gotten around to playing it over a couple of hours. Eagerly awaiting the Smash Bros character reveal and then maybe sink my teeth into the Last of Us Part 2

I regret to admit I still have to finish God (Dad) of War from 2018. I love watching it, but haven't gotten around to playing it over a couple of hours. Eagerly awaiting the Smash Bros character reveal and then maybe sink my teeth into the Last of Us Part 2
I really enjoyed the hours I put into God of War! And Last of Us 2 has been...an emotional ride so far. ;n; Which was a given of course, but oof it is has been fun to play through for sure!

Dragon Warrior was the US port of the original Dragon Quest game. You got it free with a subscription to Nintendo Power.

I am showing my age.

There are sssooo many games that make it onto my favorite list. Currently, as I'm playing it again, Plague Tales: Innocence and also Ghosts of Tsushima is hitting pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom