Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What is your favorite Movie Genre?

My favorite western is Once Upon A Time in the West. Anything made by Sergio Leone is an instant classic. I also really like the old John Ford westerns, even the black and white ones. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is probably my favorite Ford western, because it's the only time John Wayne plays a character who suffers an existential crisis, and he has to play second fiddle to Jimmy Stewart. Winchester '76 is another great black and white western that Jimmy Stewart stars in. He's known by most folks for being in It's a Wonderful Life and Mister Smith Goes to Washington, but he had extensive work in westerns. The Shootist is another good one that Wayne and Stewart share screen time in, and it's especially poignant since Wayne plays a character dying of cancer, while he himself was suffering from cancer. I think it was his last film if I'm not mistaken.

Too many people discredit entire generations of films just because they're black and white, and I believe this is a huge mistake. The Hustler, Out of the Past, A Touch of Evil, Sunset Boulevard, 12 Angry Men, Anatomy of a Murder, On the Waterfront, and many, many others are all classic "noir" films that outshine almost anything made today. Granted, they made a whole lot of crap back then, too, but time is the best filter for quality. I'd rather watch a good old movie than virtually anything contemporary, save films made by a select few, such as the Coen Brothers.

One genre that's harder to get into is classic Jedaigeki. I've seen Kurosawa's samurai classics like Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Roshomon, Spider Skull Castle, Kegemusha, and Ran, and it leaves me thirsting for more slow paced, expertly photographed, and infinitely fascination feudal Japanese action. Hanzo the Razor is an interesting series that seems to borrow heavily from blacksploitation cinema from America, as evidence of its jazz fusion soundtrack and the protagonist's infamously enormous manhood. I intend to look into some of the Zatoichi films, but there's so many it's hard to figure out where to start. And then there's acquiring the films to begin with-- they don't sell that shit at the Redbox.

Im easy I like all kinds of things from all kind of genre. although I do find myself a bit more drawn to something with a little bit off fantasy or sci fi.

I also like all kinds, but I have a few I Don't enjoy: super long battle scenes, string of smut, extremely cryptic, and non talking. Though the first ben Hur is a gem despite that...

I also like all kinds, but I have a few I Don't enjoy: super long battle scenes, string of smut, extremely cryptic, and non talking. Though the first ben Hur is a gem despite that...

Film was, and always will be, a visual medium. The lack of dialogue in silent movies is a huge barrier to most modern audiences. It's definitely a test for patience, but if you can muster your attention they're extremely rewarding. So much is said in a character's actions and reactions. They say "a picture is worth a thousand words", after all. The first semester of my Narrative Cinema class was brutal, but by the time we got to John Ford's Stagecoach, the audible dialogue and modern pacing was an overwhelming experience. Understanding the context of classic film can enrich the experience to an almost transcendental degree.

Horror would be at the top of my list but I enjoy a wide range of genres.

Specifically, I really love 80’s horror. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street.....the originals. I grew up on them. Cheesy horror. Suspenseful horror. While I’m not big on overly done gore, there are a few even in that frame of horror that I enjoy......Anyone ever seen Feast? Lmao it’s gory and totally cheesy. I watched the Greenlight Project on it before they actually made the movie and just loved it. It was reminiscent of a good cheesy 80’s flick. Jump scare horror is good too. Ghosts.....please! Love it.

I love Superhero/Comics. Thrillers. Comedy. A couple chick flicks. Tear jerkers. I could go on.

Horror. Without a doubt, horror.

Every since I was about four years old and my sisters let me watch A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) at their slumber party (because they are good influences, I tell ya). lol

Definitely horror. It's a versatile genre, too. I love me some good ghost stories, haunted houses, and creature-features. Anything suspenseful is good, too. I'm usually not huge into the gorn/grindhouse style stuff, though.

Back
Top Bottom