Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Character First or Plot First?

I think that given the way RPing goes down--someone offers up a conflict, and invites you to place a character within it--it should be plot then character. The character ought to be informed by the plot.

I don't think that's how all RPing goes down though. Several of my roleplays we have chosen a certain character type or relationship, developed characters and then created a world to fit them in. The most expansive world I have created with my partner currently started as a pairing we wanted to write, we built the entire world around them and then got deeper into it. As we discussed all the different facets of the world, the characters became more developed too so really it doesn't matter which we started with, by the time I wrote the opening post we had developed both of them together.

I would say I start with plot first. I generally have an idea pop into my head and automatically start building on that. It's only when I have a good start on the plot that I start building a rough frame of reference for a character to match it. Of course the character is only fleshed out enough to fit the overall plot. I like to let them develop the rest of the way as they actually move through the story with my partner's character. I find if I fully develop a character and the plot, I get bored too quickly.

I'd say generally character first because I make a lot of characters I want to use but generally unless I have a very big craving, it's not coming out into a good story idea. Now, other times I can have a story but no characters to use it in.

I think normally, I work on the plot first and then make my character around the plot worked out. Rarely, with the exception of one person do I have a character in mind first, I like tailoring my characters to the plot, I feel it makes it fit better for me personally.

Back
Top Bottom