Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite books?

Frozen Tundra

Meteorite
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Road

These are just a few of mine that come to mind.

I've always enjoyed House of Leaves, Coraline for some scary ones. The Road is a great read. Classic Sherlock Holmes is entertaining on a rainy day. ^^

Dune, Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Something Wicked This way Comes, The Martian Chronicles.

(A special shout out to The Black Stallion as it's the book that started my obsession with books as a kid.)

The Waves by Virginia Woolf
1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Juliette, or vice amply rewarded by DAF Marquis de Sade

Necronomicon by HP Lovecraft

The 13.5 lives of Capt'n Bluebear by Walter Moers

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay

Taiko by Josjikawa

ALL books relating to the Empire of Malaz by Steven Erikson & Ian C. Esslemont (twenty in total)

The hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams as well as all the follow ups

Marley and me by John Grogan

The Bartimaeus sequence by Jonathan Stroud

The compass trilogy by Philip Pullman

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater

The Hitch Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews - I know that this book is badly written with the worse dialogue ever but it's so bad that I love it so much lol
Phantom by Susan Kay - By far my favorite (and, in my opinion, the best) adaptation/retelling of The Phantom of the Opera. I would recommend this book to any POTO lovers
Dragonfly by Frederic S. Durbin - I picked this up years ago at Dollar General not expecting much. I fell instantly in love with this novel. Such a good writer!
The Light at the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector - Splatterpunk at its best!

To be honest, it changes. A book that I've loved in the past as a fifteen year old might not hold its place in favorites when I'm twice the age (Discworld series, I still love you to death!). But, here are some of the current favorites:​
This is the kind of book that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go until you're done reading. And even then, it's a struggle. Not an easy book, not a fun book, but holy damn it's good.
The most powerful kind of writing I have ever experienced, hands down. The way the author writes just makes everything so palpable. You WILL taste the saltiness of the sea water, hear the crunch of snow under the character's boots, hear the wind howling around. All in all, it is a feel good book, sweet, out of this world, and totally perfect. Love!
I adored the humor in this (and the lovable main hero), and the way the author managed to squeeze in a lot of sciency stuff into a book and not make me scratch my head at some point, wondering what the heck. It takes some skill to put complex topics well in a layperson terms. Have I mentioned the humor?
The writing, the story, the cover (!!!) - everything in this gorgeous book made me swoon. Definitely a character-oriented read and very, VERY slow, so not everyone's cup of tea, but I keep rereading it.
A classic. Dostoyevsky is not easy to digest, but damn, so good. Granted I wouldn't have picked it up if not for school ages ago (thanks, education?).
OH. Science-fiction-y goodness through and through. Plus, an amazing style of narration (the story is said via different notes, recordings' transcripts, and so on) - very little actual descriptions, but still lots of information about the world and characters included. A MUST READ, I WILL BORROW PEOPLE MY COPIES.
How do I put this? A post-apocalyptic world. A Shakespearean troupe traveling between last human settlements, because art is important for survival. A mysterious Prophet who seems like he's taken straight out of shows like The Walking Dead. Overall, the whole book, an experience.
Rule number one is, we don't talk about Metro 2034 or Metro 2035. But, other than that, the first book in the trilogy that started it all is a gem, and the main character is the goodest boy who deserves all of our love and admiration. Do not fight me on this, I named my dog after him and I am ready to rumble.

Utopian/dystopian fiction. I remember the first book I ever read novel wise was stephen kings longest walk

There was a writer I used to love reading for the surrealism and mix of mythology, fantasy tropes and modern day all in a comedy package that honestly made little sense but provided a great read called Tom Holt. I recommend the book Nothing but blue skies to anybody and the portable door series. A little out there, but if you like surreal comedy you'll love it.

There was a writer I used to love reading for the surrealism and mix of mythology, fantasy tropes and modern day all in a comedy package that honestly made little sense but provided a great read called Tom Holt. I recommend the book Nothing but blue skies to anybody and the portable door series. A little out there, but if you like surreal comedy you'll love it.

If you love Tom Holt, you should certainly read Robert Rankin.

His infamous Brentford Trilogy is one of the most hilarious reads.

It consists of the following books:
1) The Antipope
2) The Brentford Triangle
3) East of Ealing
4) Teh Sprouts of Wrath
5) The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
6) Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
7) Knees Up Mother Earth
8) The Brigtonomicon
9) Retromancer
10) The Lord of the Ring Roads

Yes, I know it's 10, I told you it was infamous, didn't I?

The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes
Catalyst by Laurie Anderson

I haven't read the latter in years but it has a place of honor on my display bookshelf. I guess something about being lost / having no control and having to pick yourself up afterwards kind of resonates with me.

I see lots of book lovers here! Some titles I recognize. Some I don't. Here's mine!

Caves of Steel by Issac Asimov

Which probably also has my favourite literary characters.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Salem's Lot
Needful Things by Stephen King

The Conan stories by Robert E Howard

The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison

Hush Hush saga by Becca Fitzpatrick

Memnoch the Devil, Pandora and Violin by Anne Rice

The Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

The Altar of Kolaset by Robert Houghtby

Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley

Books by Laurell K Hamilton are some of my favorites as well as Sarah J Maas

I like both series by Larurell K Hamilton. Anita Blake and Merry Gentry.

It would be hard to choose which series by Sarah J Maas is my favorite, but her Court series is dear to my heart ^^

I've been absolutely obsessed with Madeline Miller's two modern retellings of classic Greek Mythology. Although both Circe and the Song of Achilles are both something of a slow burn, Miller's character work is absolutely masterful. She has found a beautiful balance between staying true to the essence of these characters while also giving them a contemporary spin.

I recommend both heartily!

Wuthering Heights
To Kill a Mockingbird
Tess of the D'Urberville
A Tale of Two Cities
Anything by Nigel Tranter

Back
Top Bottom