Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Best of Friends [Veras And I ]

[LunarDysis]

Supernova
Today was the start of her life out of high school, having hung out with her best friend for the week and her family. Though now she was a couple thousand miles from home and sighed, standing outside of her college dorm. Holding the key in her hand and she bit her bottom lip, sliding the key into the knob she turned it and pushed herself in before setting her bags down onto the empty bed. Today had to be the saddest day of her life, but yet the most exciting. College was here! She had promised her best friend that she would come back and visit him during holidays and breaks, or when she could get away during the week or weekends.

Kate was her name, young at 18. Standing tall at 5'8'', her hair short at dark brown a A-line cut. Her eyes a dark sapphire blue, her skin lightly tanned and a little chubby. She wore a white tank top with a pair of blue jeans and black tennis shoes. During her years of high school her dream was to become a First Grade Teacher and now her dream was going to come true, laying down on her bed as she looked up to the ceiling and gave a soft smile, waiting for her room mate to come in so she could meet her. In order to get her degree in education she had to go through five to six years of college to receive it but she didn't mind.

The first few weeks had gone by slowly, growing home sick. Calling her family but most of all her best friend. How she missed him, she was slowly started to get some new friends but not as fast she would have liked to. Her classes were pretty easy, normal english, math history and everything she needed to get perfect grades in, in order to help her.

Zane had to watch as his best friend boarded the plane that would take her states away from him for the next couple years of their lives. It was summer, but it was difficult for him to enjoy it while Kate had left for a better life and career, and he was stuck here working his dead end job with the simple hope that he may be able to achieve his own dreams some day. For now, though, he would remain in his home town, where he had spent all 18 years of his life and would spend the ones to come.

The summer day was nearly perfect. The sun was out, the temperature was hot, but dry, not the humid heat that drained you of energy quicker than a 5 mile marathon. Zane stood just taller than Kate, comfortably at 5'10", and his hair chopped short and asymmetrical, spiked as if he had just woken up. He had a build that was on the muscular side of average. Kate had always said it made him comfy to hug.

He missed her, and the calls started every day, but soon went to every other day, then once a week, once a month. He wasn't sure what was going on with her now, and he had felt she moved on. He wouldn't bother her while she was out making her new life.

She had slowly began to move on, getting her new friends and spending more time with them before remembering to call Zane. Though she was sure that he had moved on as well, he probably got a new job and was having the time of his life. Days started to speed up and they flew by, her first year gone then her second and third. Though she had changed over those years, losing her little chubbiness and her tummy was a bit flat. A little chubbiness still there but not as much as before, her hair long down to her shoulder blades. Having gone through a few boyfriends, some screwing up with her and herself screwing up as well. But it mostly seemed that she just wasn't interested in them anymore..just so as a friend.

Though it seemed that Zane had disappeared from her life and it made her sad but she knew she had to move on. Though the fourth year came and so did the fifth. In the middle of it as she was going through the mid terms and all of the exams to see if she would graduate and get her degree as she had hoped. She often wondered if Zane had gone to college there at home and gotten a degree of his own. Though now it was graudation day and their entire class was lined up outside to celebrate all of the years that they had accomplished.

Five years later...

Kate was now driving back home in her black f-150 truck shifting her gears as she drove down the interstate to her old hometown. She hadn't been home in five years, she had told them she would visit but her life had become so busy and hectice she couldn't make time. Kate now twenty-three years old her hair down to her shoulder blades and her eyes still the deep sapphire blue. Quite a few hours had passed and she reached her old town and she sighed, though before she would head to her parents house, she decided to grab a bite to eat. Her stomach was hating her after about seven hours of driving.

Zane had fallen for all the commercials and gotten his associates at some community college in computer programming, hoping that it would propel his life the way he had hoped, but even after a stable career and budget, he found it a hard time leaving his small town. His hair was the same in most respects, if a little bit more clean cut as opposed to messy, and with all his free time, he had begun working out more, creating a larger build, but not quite creating a chiseled look due to his love for peanut butter and jelly.

He was driving his old Mustang that he had since high school. It really was a terrible car, but he didn't feel the need to buy another one. He was going to meet his family now at one of the old family run restaurants in the town. Everything here was still family run. He had guessed even the larger corporations saw no use in expanding to their town.

Pulling into the diner styled restaurant, he shut the car off and let the old engine wind down before pulling the keys out and stepping out against the curb. Standing and stretching his legs, he made in for the door, and a kindly old lady had pointed him in the direction of his mom, sister, and her daughter, his niece, that was now turning 4 today. He was just happy she was out of the toddler years.

Sitting down, he spoke with his family a bit, ordering his food and allowed the waiters to sing their happy birthday's to the girl at the table, bringing out a big cake. He finished up a piece, and now simply talked while the check remained on the table between them.

The old diner, Ahh... such wonderful food they had. Always coming here with Zane to get some food after school or just to hang out at. Though pulling up to the diner she parked her truck and hopped out, shutting the door and locking it she stepped into the building and was greeted by an elderly woman who smiled. "Hello dear, just one?" She asked and pulled out on menu and one wrapped up piece of sliverware. "Yes," She nodded her head and ran her fingers through her hair and she turned on her heel as she followed the woman to a small booth that sat four. Seeing a family sitting diagonally from her. Though a group of waiters singing to a young girl as it was her birthday.

Peering up a young man moved to her table and she smiled, "Yes, I'll have some Iced Tea. Oh, do you also serve the chicken ranch sandwich still?" She asked as it was her favorite to get here and the man nodded. "Wonderful, I'll get that." She said, handing him the menu and she sat back slowly and gave a soft sigh. Her stomach growling at her and she shushed it with a sip of some iced tea. Though the waiters moved from the table and she smiled softly.

Though she stopped a bit, her smile fading as her eyes squinted. The young man there looked familiar. She bit her lip and leaned over, did she go to school with him? Or maybe she just saw him around town when she use to live here. She shook her head and took another sip before she leaned over and gasped, catching sight of the woman the child and seeing that it was Zanes sister. Though suddenly she about gagged on the sip of iced tea she took. It was Zane..?!

She pushed herself from the booth and moved around the corner and she stood up before walking from her booth and curled her hands together. "Zane...?" She asked, hesitantly as she neared the table. Hoping it wasn't someone she didn't know and made a complete fool of herself.

Zane finished down his bite of English muffin before addressing his name, thinking it would be just another one of his friends that seemed to pop up everywhere he went. After turning around, he was thrown off at first by the long hair, but the color and eyes couldn't have belonged to anyone else. "K.. Kate?" He stuttered just a moment, not even worried about how uncomfortable it was to keep his head turned while still sitting forward.

He had moved his plate over now with his chair, giving her room to pull her own chair up and have a seat with him and his family, all people that Kate had known for years previous to her leaving, other than his niece. His sister, Cara, had greeted her in turn, and introduced her daughter, Kyla. Zane's mom just gave the warm familiar smile and a little wave. "Have a seat, please, it's not a problem at all. It's been an eternity and a day." He gave her a soft and somewhat nervous smile, still not entirely sure how to act around his old friend.

He wasn't sure if they had even spoken for the past year, so he wasn't sure if he should hug her or shake her hand anymore, but he would keep himself pleasant, and hopefully get the chance to speak to her privately later. For now, it was just a time for them to reintroduce themselves to each other.

"Yes." She smiled and nodded her head, surprised that it was hiim. She didn't know if she would see him when she came back. Worried that he would have moved away and she gave a soft sigh of relief.

She as well wasn't sure if she could just pounce on him and hug him, especially since he was with his entire family. She brought a chair up and sat down at the table and she glanced around, "Hi, Kyla." She smiled at the little girl, who was in fact adorable. "How have you all been? Especially you, Zane?" She asked and looked over to him. He had changed, though not much. He had always been handsome to her. Though she had changed a bit drastically, not short or chubby anymore. She sat back and she smiled softly.

(Short..sorry. x[ )

His demeanor was a bit empty and difficult to figure out. He answered her questions vaguely for the most part, with simple "Yes"s and "No"s, but not elaborating much. Eating his pancakes slowly, he prodded at the pieces of food with his fork and keeping his eyes down on the plate most of the time.

"So, where have you been, Kate? What happened to, 'I'll call you all the time, I promise!'?" He asked, a hint of anger and betrayal left lingering in his voice as he mentioned it, whispering it quietly enough to her that his family wouldn't get concerned with his attitude towards his old friend.

The waitress had walked by and he handed her his debit card to pay off the bill for everyone that had joined at the table, getting ready to leave when she brought back the receipt. He put on a half genuine smile then, and hugged each of the members of his family, giving a hug to Kate at the end, less intimately than he normally would have years ago when they were together. "Well, good seeing you. I suppose you'll be leaving again soon?"

(No problem ^_^ Sorry it takes me so long to reply. Life is a bitch and tries getting in the way)

(That's quite all right!)

She heard his question and her heart broke as her eyes trailed down and she sighed softly. She felt bad, "I'm sorry, Zane." She said and looked up to him, she could sense the hurt and anger quite easily and her head hung down. "College took over. I had to study more, I mean I got my degree in it." She said just as he gave her a light hug and she frowned at his words and she peered down. She glanced over to see her food at her table, getting cold and she sighed softly once more

"I'm so sorry, Zane." She said and she grabbed his arm to pull him back just as his family were getting ready to leave. "No. I.. I moved here. I'm living here now." She said and looked up to him. She bit her bottom lip and she shook her head slowly, "I can tell that you hate me." She said and nodded her head slowly now and she let go of his arm. "I want to be friends again. But..if you don't want to. I'll respect that." She swallowed a lump in her throat.

"It..it was nice seeing you, Zane." She said and forced a smile upon her face though it was defeated by a frown and she turned around as she left to her table, receiving a box as she placed her food into it. Paying for it she sat at her table and looked at the wall as she waited for her change and receipt.

Zane's family had left now, saying their good bye's, but he waited with Kate while she had paid for her own food. "I could have taken care of it you know... and I don't hate you. I just wish you would have given a shit, is all." He had his arms folded in slight defiance, but he was still waiting for her nonetheless. He still wanted to talk to her, and he didn't want to let her go the first moment he had seen her. That was the last thing he wanted.

He noticed her body had slimmed out and her hair had become longer than he ever remembered it, but it looked good against her newer form. He hadn't felt like he changed at all except for his choice in clothing being a bit more formal and professional. "Listen, I have an apartment in the next town over if you want to come by and maybe just talk a bit or something. I wouldn't mind, really."

Although he wasn't happy about the situation, he wanted things explained, he wanted to talk, and he wanted to have his friend back. He figured he would swallow his pride and make an attempt at renewing the lost friendship.

"How dare you say that, Zane." She growled and stood up, looking to him as she grabbed his arms. "I gave a shit! I did! I cared about you more than anyone in the world could." She whimpered and let him go. "Many times I would call and you would never answer. Nor get back to me.. so I thought that you had moved on." She said and shook her head slowly. "Don't you ever dare say that I did not give a shit." She said, her eyes watering up and she took her changed before giving the waitress her tip and she sighed, sniffling as she wiped her nose and eyes.

Her eyes traveled to the side and she looked down, "Where is your house?" She asked and looked up to him and she sighed. "I'm sorry for freaking out. But that hurt, Zane." She said and held her box of food to her chest and she bit her bottom lip. "I want to get this figured out. I'm not going to live here and have us ignoring each other." She said and swallowed the same lump in her throat.

"I'm sorry.." She said softly and set her food down, not giving him a chance to move she wrapped her arms around him. Her head against his chest and she breathed in as she hugged him tightly, not letting go as she looked to the side.

Zane hated watching her get upset and cry, but he knew she was sometimes prone to being a bit more emotional than some. He didn't mind most of the time, unless it was his fault she got upset. Once she had settled down a bit he gave her a hug that was a bit more personal than the one before, looking into her eyes and then turning to point down the street that lead out of their town, to one that was probably even smaller. "I live out that way, in the complex by that pond we used to go to when we were younger. It's not as clean as it used to be, but people still swim in it. I haven't in forever though."

He rested a hand on her shoulder and lead her out of the restaurant to the bright sun and perfect weather. It was still early in the day, not even touching noon yet, and he didn't have any other plans. Sometimes his 5 day work week was too boring for him. "Which one is yours? I don't see that stupid little cavalier you used to drive."

She sighed a bit as he hugged her and she peered down and she swallowed. Grabbing her box of food she walked out of the restaurant and she smiled, wiping her eyes and she laughed a bit and sighed softly. "No, but I see you still have your old mustang." She said and touched it, not realizing that she had parked right next to him. She looked to him and turned around, her hand touching her black f-150 truck. "This is my baby." She said and ran her hands along the side of it and she looked back over to him and unlocked the door.

"I'll just follow you down there." She said with a nod and opened her door, setting her food down on the passenger seat and she turned to look to him. Though she climbed into her truck and shut the door as she started it up, listening to it rumble to life and she buckled herself in.

Zane stood next to his Mustang that was beginning to rust around the fenders, gathering way too many miles on it. He noted how it was dwarfed in size by her new truck. "It's so shiny and sparkly. I suppose it's easier to get help once you've graduated with a bachelor's huh?" He opened his door and it creaked all the way open, his seats battered and torn from the years of abuse.

(I do feel the need to jump in here and note that I truly hate mustangs with a passion. This thing will hopefully be utterly destroyed later on in a terrible fashion)

He climbed into his old beater, giving the hint that it was fine for her to follow, listening to the clean rumble of her truck next to him as his struggled to turn and start up. It was going to die some day, and he was glad it wasn't today, though the chance to take the ride with her wouldn't have been so bad. He pulled back out of the old parking lot and pulled right into the street, following it down and taking loops and turns while heading towards his complex. Reaching it, it wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad to look at either. The grounds were well taken care of, and it did have the pond reflecting sunlight off the back.

She followed him and she reached his apartment and cocked her brow, "That thing looks like it's about ready to die." She said after she parked her truck and got out of it. She stepped forward and looked up at his apartment complex and she nodded her head slowly. "Pretty nice." She said with a nod and a smile. "Better then anything I'll be living in. Which right now will be a box." She laughed and scratched the back of her head. She hadn't exactly told her parents she was home so she wasn't sure if they had enough room for her to stay.

She stepped forward and over to him before she waited to follow him up and into his apartment before glancing around and she smiled. He had it pretty nice, it may have not looked like the greatest thing in the world on the outside but it was on the inside and she peered to the side.

(Okay! We can destroy it somehow! -Evil Laughter- )

He threw his keys onto a counter that was just a few feet into the door. The apartment was small, but big enough for him. A hallway ran down the back that turned left into a bathroom and right into his bedroom. Connected to the living room was the kitchen, and that completed the whole tour. "When you don't have much, there's not much to make a mess with." He said, laughing slightly before letting himself collapse on the couch that had sat in front of a tv and stereo system. "Have a seat if you'd like, make yourself at home."

He turned the TV on as a way to fill the silent void between them, but wasn't paying much attention to the channels that he flicked through. After a while he had simply turned it off and sat there, watching Kate. "Considering your lack of ability to think ahead, you can sleep out here on the couch if your parents have filled up the room you used to stay in, it's no problem with me. You do have a phone, right?" He asked, looking a little incredulous about it, not putting it past her to go around without a phone.

She sat down on the couch and heard him before she sighed and nodded, "Yes i have a phone. But no, come on." She said and cocked her brow, "I'm not going to barge in and sleep on your couch. You don't need me to screw up your life or even living conditions." She said and shook her head slowly as she leaned back, "I'll stay at my parents house. I'll sleep on their sofa." She nodded. She missed Zane, she did so much. But she knew that he still wasn't very happy with her and she didn't want to barge in on his life.

Though she turned on the couch and looked to him, changing the subject. "I know you probably want to know everything." She said and glanced to the side and breathed in softly. "But the week that you never answered me..I really thought that you had moved on. Forgotten about me or just didn't want to talk." She said and with a shrug, "So that's why I stopped. I wanted to call you, but my life really did start to get crazy and hectic with School and with my job. I know that I'll keep apologizing. But you don't need to accept it. I konw I hurt you..and I want to make it up to you."

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and index finger. "It was one week where I was busier than other weeks, and you're going to sit there and allow that to be what killed us?" He looked over at her now, watching her through disappointed eyes. The sun was shining through the window and seemed to cast an inappropriate happiness on the situation.

Standing up, Zane went to get a glass of water for himself and Kate, handing it to her once he returned to sit on the couch. "I'll admit to not doing my part, but it's not a pleasant situation. I don't even feel like I really know you anymore." He took a sip of water and then turned his head to face the black tv, his body still facing her on the couch though.

She sighed and glanced down, "Why are you nailing this on me? Why couldn't you have called?" She asked and shook her head, "If I was busy and you weren't. You could have made the time of day to call me but you didn't. I was the one who always had to call.." She said and then looked down, not taking a sip as she set the glass down onto the coffee table. To disappointed now in herself to even try to drink any water.

"Then lets try to get to know each other again." She said and looked to him. "I'm home now and I will be for a long time. And we now have the time to get to know each other better, so lets do it." She crossed her arms over her chest.

Back
Top Bottom