Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Corrupt Nature (Athene & Alvis Alendran)

LadyAthene

Supernova

Alexandria, Egypt
385 B.C.

The chamber where Princess Ishizu slept was dark; not because it was night time, but she'd made it so the light was blocked out. Curtains were drawn in front of any and all windows. Several candles had been carefully but purposely placed on the floor. Ishizu had made it so they were the only source of light for a reason. With the room like this, she could focus and concentrate properly. Although she was the Princess as opposed to a Priestess, she always spoke with the gods, particularly Isis, whenever Egypt was going through trying times like now.

Slowly, Ishizu moved her head, making sure everything was in its correct spot. Against the southern wall of her room was an Ankh hanging up on an attached hook. Directly underneath the significant symbol was a small, golden statue of the very goddess Ishizu was about to talk with. A deep breath elicited from Ishizu as she cautiously sank to her knees, clasped her hands together, and bowed her head. A single, but powerful and important, set of questions rapidly rushed through the Princess' mind.

Isis? Have we angered you somehow? And if so, what can be done to fix the state we're in?

This was not the first time the Persians had tried to attack Alexandria, or even Egypt in general. However, it was the first time in a while that the Nile was late with its annual flooding. To say it was making many of the people worry was an understatement. It was one of the events that the citizens not only expected to occur, but counted on, as it immensely helped the country thrive and flourish. Without the Nile flooding, Egyptians would have a difficult time surviving.

There was simply no easy way to say it. It was just the honest and brutal truth. The Nile was what helped keep them alive; in some regards, one could say it was the life force for Egypt, as it not only provided them water, but aided with the harvest.

As such, it was easy to understand the true significance of why the Nile not yet undergoing its annual flood was a huge deal. And with the Persians having repeatedly continued to attack Egypt over the past months, plus trade dwindling from all of these conflicts? It was very much looking like Egypt was steadily, but surely, reverting to a darker era. And it was that much more terrifying when it didn't appear as if there was much that anyone - be it her father or his best high priests - could do.

" ... Ishizu?"

A bit of crimson painted the Princess' face as she opened her eyes and lifted her head. Standing behind her was Ishizu's childhood friend and handmaiden, Auset. On almost any other day, Auset would be flashing Ishizu a sly, knowing smirk.

Ishizu would see no such thing. Not today. There was but a solemn and worried look on Auset's face as she stared down at the Princess.

"Your devotion to the goddess truly is beautiful. But alas ... I don't really know if ... "

"I know," Ishizu interrupted, frowning slightly. "Truly. I do. In the end, actions are what we need. And for that ... we have to rely on father, his high priests, and his warriors. But, Auset ..."

Ishizu's hands stretched out, gesturing to the entire room before finally falling back down upon her knees.

"I can only do so much from here. And you know my father doesn't like me getting involved with the political talks."

Now the typical, coy grin that tended to adorn Auset's face appeared. After carefully moving the candles aside, she knelt in front of Ishizu, still smiling at the Princess. "Be that as it may, if Pharaoh Atem ever wants you to take over as Queen, he'll need to let you have certain liberties. How will he expect you to rule when you know next to none of the terminology or tactics that'll be needed to keep Alexandria - and all of Egypt, really - in a brighter, more golden era?"

Ishizu blinked ... taking the words in and repeating them several times over. There was silence for a few good moments and finally ... she giggled, causing Auset's head to tilt.

"Sorry, sorry. Remind me, though. Are we sure you're not Atem's daughter?"

"Last I checked, yes." Auset began to reach out and lay a hand gently atop one of the many ceremonial tattoos that had been placed upon Ishizu's flesh. But before her hand could find her friend's shoulder, it was blocked by Ishizu's right hand.

Auset lightly gripped her lower lip. This wasn't the first time she'd seen the Princess react in such a way. Nor was it an overly astounding reaction, in all truth. With her rank and position, Ishizu did tend to be overly self-conscious. Still ... this was one of the many other things that Auset found herself helping Ishizu with.

"They're nothing to be ashamed of, you know? Anyway ..."

Auset slowly got up to her feet, lowering her own hand down towards the Princess.

"The meeting hasn't yet begun. If you want to come on in, the best time is now."

As Auset saw Ishizu raise an eyebrow, she could practically hear the question that was about to accompany it. Before the Princess could utter the inquiry, Auset swiftly replied, "I'm not just your handmaiden, remember? I'm Atem's also. I recently finished preparing the room for him and his advisers, priests, and anyone else who is going to be attending. I also made sure you would be able to sit and join in."

"Auset, I ..."

Finally, a smile decorated Ishizu's face as she stood up and gave her friend a hug.

"You're right. About everything. I can't keep being naive like this. I ... yes. I do need to go. Thank you."

"Of course. I'll get your room fixed up, so don't worry about that."

Sure enough, even as Ishizu pivoted and darted out of her room, Auset was already going to work. After drawing the curtains open to give herself more light, she then proceeded to blow the candles out and put them away.

Thankfully, there were certain perks that came with being the daughter of the Pharaoh. Knowing the cities and castles was one of those blessings. Ishizu knew every inch of the palace, including the interior and where every single hidden passage was. As such, it didn't take her long at all to find the room that her father and the others would enter inside. A quick glance revealed Auset had been correct; the meeting still hadn't yet started.

Good. It gave Ishizu time. Probably not much, but at least more than enough to mentally prepare for her father's arrival. She'd need words, after all, to explain her presence. But just as importantly? She would need to keep and maintain her wits about her for when Atem did enter.

Not to say Atem was a cruel father. Far from it. But he was strict and, even when he meant well, he could be harsh. Even with his own daughter. It was never in a physical manner, mind you, but still ... it was something that everyone who worked for him had seen throughout the years. Many tried to assume it was a change of heart that came with the abrupt passing of his wife, who died quickly after giving birth to Ishizu. His heart had been hardened, or so that was how most of the rumors tended to go.

Ishizu knew better than most that was only partially true. In all honesty, some of it was her own fault. She had been stubborn with certain topics. Marriage, for example. And even though her father was correct with insisting she needed to find someone to marry, she was just as adamant that it was something to not rush into.

As the sounds of footfalls echoed throughout the nearby hallway, Ishizu took a long, deep breath. And when Atem did enter? She greeted her father, as well as the other men beside and behind him, with a genuine, albeit slightly anxious, smile.

Hetmas was looking around the audience room. He was not a small man, taller than most by head and shoulders, and he had the thick build of a career soldier. Very few had achieved his position the way he had. Generals were usually minor princes, and attributed to those that had connections to the Pharaohs. Hetmas had earned his place, fighting up through the ranks, winning his respect and skills through blood and effort. He was still less than a minority, and more akin to a singularity. There were no other officers in command that had rose up the way he had. Still, he'd maintained the borders against the Persians, the Greeks, and others that had sought to plunder the wealth of their nation. Hetmas had managed to throw them back ech time, often at great cost, and his body bore the scars of his efforts. Because of his style of command, his men loved him, saw him as the ideal of what they might achieve, and it drove them to new heights of fervor and need. Still, after repelling hte last attack, he'd been called back to court, and he'd answered without hesitation.

He stood in the audience chamber dressed in the regalia of his station, armour strapped across his torso, leather bands that enfolded him with golden decoration and embellishment as befit someone of his station. he'd earned such accouterments, nearly on the level of the Pharaoh himself, but Hetmas had always professed his loyalty. He had not come to try and be an issue on the presence of the Pharaoh, only to answer the call as was needed.

He had arrived a few moments after Ishizu had, and as there was a moment before the Pharaoh arrived, Hetmas took a moment to examine her.

It was well known that the only daughter of Atem was the jewel of the Nile, and had ben hailed as such many a time. hetmas let his gaze linger on her, taking in all the curves and look of her, appreciating why many had desires towards her. He was not immune to her charms, despite knowing that such aspects where not what she sought from others. There was a sincerity about her, an innocence that she wore about her like a cloak that inspired a ceratin level of devotion and desire to protect that had no doubt served her well in her life before this. Hetmas coudl feel a small surge of desire in his examination of her, and looked away before his desires became obvious and crude.

If nothing else, he was saved byt he arrival of Atem, the Pharaoh himself. He strode in, the flail and crook of his station held close to his breast. Hetmas averted his gaze, bowing as was needed for his station and for the respect owed to the position of his liege and lord. Atem looked to those that had assembled, adn settled into his throne. Hetmas waited a full count of ten before rising to look at those that had assembled in his period of obedience. There were several of those that had served him as his officer staff, many of them minor princes, but ones that tursted and served him loyally. There were others that had jockeyed for his place, but he felt confident ath such was not something to be concerned about.

"Pharaoh speaks." Atem started, and those assembled bowed their heads a moment in respect. A Pharaoh speaking was to hear the voice of a God made flesh. "We have seenthe foe off once more. We must now change our approach to survive." These words weren't anything that Hetmas was bothered by. He;'d warned many times that the make up of the army needed to shift if they were to throw back their foes. He;d forced changes into the Northern army, making them more effective, even if it ran counter to accepted wisdom. Still, the routine defeat of Greeks, Persians, and banditys was proof that his reforms were working. Hetmas only anticipated that such reofrms might be made standard, and he would be sent back to his place in the North.

"Valiant General Hetmas. You have done great thigns for our people." Atem started, and Hetmas felt his heart swell in pride at the acknowledgement. "You will be rewarded. I hearby grant you the authority of training the Garrions of the South." Hetmas felt his head shoot up.

This was not what he'd thought. It wqas an 'honour' to be assigned such, but it would strip the most experienced commander from the front lines.
"My lord, your honour, light of the sun, I am unworthy of such! I am a simple man of arms, to be sent to educate my betters is an honour beyond my station." Hetmas pleaded. He couched everything in respect and a simple attempt to bypass his reassignment. He'd freely give this honour to someone else on his staff that would be suited tot he task, but he knew that pulling him from the front meant that in no time, many men would die and be driven back from the wrath of their foes. "I can offer the lives of several of my command staff that would be equal to the honour you do offer."

Atyem looked at his general, and nodded.
"You will have such staff amongst you, for they will accompany you to your duties. They will be by your side in all efforts." Atem intoned. Hetmas felt his heart sink. If it had been just him going to garrison training, it would have been a blow, but something that might be survived, but if all of his command staff was going off to the new detail, then there would be no one on the main front that knew how to adequately deploy and fight against the coming of the enemy. They would be pushed back and defeated. Such was inevitable. Anyone who had faced tghe foe before would know such. Unfortunately Atem had run the Empire from his throne, and failed to really face the foe head on.
"My lord, I offer myself as-" Hetmas started, but was cut off.

"Silence. Pharaoh speaks. I am the morning and the evening star, my word is beyond contestation. The changes of deployment will be put in place come the morrow. You area ll dismissed." He made a gesture with his hand showing that all present were beneath his nitce, a simple royal dismissal. Hetmas took his leave, stepping from the chamber, adn seething at the disaster that was looming for the empire. Without him adn his staff at the front, the lines would collapse, and they'd be thrown into chaos. He needed to find some way of getting around this. He looked to one of the entrances to teh chamber, and knew that this one would likely be the one that was used by Ishizu. He moved closer to it, waiting for the daughter of the pharaoh to emerge.

Atem looked at the court as they filed out of the room, though he was certainly not unaware of the presence of his daughter within the room. He waited for hte door the begin to close before he spoke to her.
"Ishizu. Why did you come to this audience? I did not send for you." He said in a calm, yet firm tone, one that showed there was some displeasure, but there was not yet any true anger yet.

Last edited:

Interestingly, her father was not the first person to show up in the room. It ended up being Hetmas. While normally it was true to note that Ishizu tended to be kept in the dark, Hetmas was one of those rare exceptions. She had heard a great number of stories about him. It wasn't only because of how he worked his way up the ranks, but that certainly helped. Ishizu often heard Atem constantly speak highly of Hetmas. Seldom, if ever, did he seem to have a negative thing to say of the man. With how much praise the Princess had heard regarding Hetmas, it could be easy for anyone to wonder if he was as close to a demi-god as possible.

Either way, she could definitely begin to understand why Atem tended to talk about Hetmas in such a positive way. He had his own auras surrounding him, and they strengthened as the two waited for everyone else to arrive. He had confidence, a strong sense of charisma, a fierceness that was only seen from the best warriors, and yet ... there was so much more. Some of it Ishizu could directly pinpoint. Others? Not as easily.

She did, however, take note of the fact Hetmas was ... staring at her? He was definitely studying her in some form or fashion. Hopefully it was just fueled on by curiosity. That'd be more than fair enough, after all. Ishizu's presence today was a very rare one for Atem and his men. But ... why was it feeling as if there was more than simple intrigue while Hetmas looked over at her?

Before she could muster up enough courage to ask the question herself, her father and the others entered.

Ishizu was, quite frankly, relieved. Even if the eye contact had been innocent in nature, it was likely for the best she had been spared from inquiring what was really driving Hetmas to look so intently at her. The meeting finally started, and ... the Princess honestly felt at a loss. There were so many things that just felt ... amiss. Why was he speaking mostly, if not only, to Hetmas? Shouldn't others be given new orders also?

No wonder Auset recommended me coming in here. This is ...

A slight grimace appeared on her face. Even with her having taken the chance and initiative, there was still the simpler issue that Ishizu wasn't in charge. She could, of course, give input. But anyone who knew her father knew he could be incredibly stubborn and prideful. There was almost never a time he didn't display either of said traits, in fact. So ... was there anything that could be said?

Not likely. But it didn't feel right to not make an effort.

"I must admit, I did not expect to see you here, daughter."

Her head lifted as she found herself looking right up at her father. Oddly, he wasn't nearly as angry as Ishizu had half-expected. On the contrary, he looked proud ... maybe even a bit amused that she had finally decided to listen in on one of his meetings. She felt herself start to speak, only for Atem to beat her as he continued, "I'm actually grateful you came in. We do need to talk. Ishizu ..."

Atem's hands gently but firmly landed atop Ishizu's shoulders.

"Sooner as opposed to later, you need to consider marriage. Don't misunderstand me. I have no intentions of dying anytime soon. But you ... should start preparing. Fate is fickle, and while I don't plan on leaving this world anytime soon, it is not up to me, in the end, how much longer I linger here. Should I depart sooner than I wish?"

He nodded down sternly at his daughter.

"You must be ready. Do you understand me?"

Ishizu tried to hold an exasperated sigh back, but ... failed after holding her breath for ten seconds. The simple exhale hinted she did not want to speak on this topic. Not right at that moment, anyway. But it was just as clear he wouldn't allow Ishizu to leave without replying back to him somehow on the matter. Her head bowed as she slowly nodded.

"Of course. Understanding such a concept has never been the issue. But father ..."

Ishizu paused, taking a moment to gather her words so she could form her next thought carefully.

"You didn't marry mom simply for convenience. I want to be with someone who will genuinely look after me. I don't want to be viewed as an easy means to be overthrown or - Gods forbid - endure an even worse fate."

For the first time inn a long while, Atem's eyes softened. His late wife ever being brought up was one of the few things that could make him less strict, particularly towards Ishizu. Still ... it didn't change his thoughts or feelings on this discussion, and that much was revealed as his expression returned to normal. If anything, it seemed more determined, as did his voice, when he spoke up yet again.

"My child, you're not wrong. At the same time, however, I have been trying to talk with you about this since you turned sixteen. You've been adamant on not wanting to worry about marriage. While I certainly understand how you feel, I hope you can do that with me. Three days ... I will give you that much time. If you cannot decide on a possible suitor, you will leave me no choice."

"But .... that's not enough time! Please, father! That's --"

"Go back to your room. This is no longer up for discussion."

Ishizu stared, barely able to believe what she had just heard. Now it was her turn for the Princess' heart to sink. Her mouth opened ... and for a few moments, she looked very ready to talk back. But the sound of Atem clearing his throat made her head bow as she nodded slowly ... looking very much defeated.

By the time she returned to her chambers, the disheartened expression hadn't fully disappeared. At most, it temporarily went away as she saw Hetmas waiting for her. Her heart jumped, then pounded just a bit quicker in her chest.

"You .. yes. You may. Although, if this is about the meeting ... I can't really sway the verdict that has already been made. You know how Father is, after all. Please, do come in."

Ishizu gently walked past Hetmas, moving towards her bed. She sat down on the sheets, now finding herself being the person looking at him. Regardless of why he'd seemed so interested earlier, she truly was feeling little more than a certain eagerness to get a decent read off Hetmas. Being competent and capable on the front lines was one side of him. But now that they were alone and in what many could try to accuse of being in quite the vulnerable scenario? She was wondering, and attempting to discern, if there was anything she even needed to worry about as far as Hetmas went.

It was, naturally, risky. But with how much faith her father constantly put into Hetmas, Ishizu wanted to believe he wouldn't be foolish. This was the best way - and simultaneously a test - to figure out just what kind of man Hetmas truly was. All while agreeing to give him her complete attention to whatever he wished to speak about.

Her head nodded as she gently placed her hands atop her lap. "Go on, Hetmas. Speak what's on your mind, and I'll offer what I can back to you."

Hetmas was a little surprised that she was permitting him to follow into her chambers, but it was a better outcome than he'd anticipated. There was work to be done, and the beginnings of a plan working inside of his head. He'd been dismissed summarily, and what was more, reassigned to the garrison details. Along with his entire staff. That was...devastating. Not only to his future prospects, and the prospects of the command staff, but it was an ill omen for the war front as well. He let out a slow breath, letting the building anger and panic bleed out of himself. He needed to be in command, of himself if nothing else, and a commander was a calm focal point even in the midst of a storm of chaos. He shifted his gaze back to Ishizu.

Here, within her chambers, there were implications that had to be handled tactfully. If things got heated, and he was caught in these walls, regardless of anything else, he would land himself in a hotbed of danger that he really didn't need at this point. He picked out a form moving off to one side of the room, out of clear sight, and he assumed it was another person. A witness. He had to assume it was one of Ishizu's people, which meant so long as he didn't offend her terribly, he should be able to get out of this relatively intact.

With how his mind was moving, his gaze lingering on Ishizu was calculating, measuring, not taking in her physical form, but weighing what use and benefit she might be able to grant him in dealings with her father. He wasn't sure how easily her father would brush her aside in most cases, but there needed to be an attempt, a hope somewhere. He took a deep breath, raising his hands before him as he did, as though bracing himself on the air for what he was about to say.

"Pharaoh Atem is going to destroy the empire." He said bluntly. "Forgive me, but I do not see that we have much time to try and remedy this. My removal is a poor choice, and would likely damage morale on the front, but I...can understand perhaps why it might be done. A shrewd man with less loyalty than I might seek to use that growing popularity to try and rally the army behind him to try and take control of regions. But to pull the entirety of my staff away from the front...morale is going to be ruined, and none of the commanders that might be put in place will know the needed tactics to counter our foes. We could lose the entire front in a year. And if we do...well, there might be little to stop them from laying waste tot he empire before we can organize a proper response to them." The picture he painted was bleak to be sure, but it was also bordering on treasonous.

"I know that I cannot petition him for changes on this. Not alone. And I also know that any attempt to keep myself at the front will likely only fan the flames of concerns about my intentions. So I do not ask for this. But perhaps...perhaps Ishizu, you might help me? Hakar, my second, is a smart man. He could...tell the tale of reassignment in a way to keep morale up, as though I was sent away to train the next wave of reinforcements for the front. He has served as my second long enough that he has the grasp of knowledge needed to keep our enemies at bay. Not as well as I, but enough that I do not think the Empire would be in true peril." He explained his movement more animated now, some semblance of true passion in his stance. He truly believed in what he was telling her. "I ask not for myself, not even for your father, but for the good of out Empire, that I hold loyalty to above all else."

This was a long shot, a gamble in the extreme. But if she agreed, if she was willing to help him, then together they might triumph where one alone might fail.

Each and every single breath, syllable, and even word that left Hetmas' lips was very carefully heeded by the Princess. The unfortunate part of how he started his speech? He wasn't likely wrong. Ishizu may not be a woman who was the best with understanding or comprehending topics like military tactics and such; however, she did know the verdict she heard from her father had baffled her. That, in itself, had to mean it was something. Not likely a good 'something', either. It was very likely a sign that everything Hetmas was relaying was the brutal truth. And as much as it pained her to hear ... it also kind of helped Ishizu feel a bit relieved.

Her love for her father would never fade. Not even after she left this world.

However, moments like the recent war meeting truly did confuse her. Atem was typically wiser than what she just witnessed. And yet, somewhere in her very core, she had a hunch Hetmas was correct. A grave mistake had indeed been made and, somehow, needed to be altered ... or even outright fixed completely. That thus led to the second part of her inner thoughts.

If all he wanted was to have his second ensure morale didn't completely up and vanish ... Ishizu had no objections.

However ...

"There is literally one major thing I don't quite understand, Hetmas. You said Hakar is your second, correct? Would you not be able to go to him yourself and ask this favor of him?"

Ishizu's head tilted curiously as she lightly pointed to herself.

"Right now, it doesn't exactly sound as if you're asking for something you need my help with. Is it to ensure Hakar knows you have my blessings, even if not my father's? Something else I'm not picking up on? If that's it, though ..."

Ishizu went quiet. There were millions of other requests Hetmas could have made to her right then and there. Of course, she knew perfectly well that her ignorance may be making her view this favor in too simple of a light. But if there were no ulterior motives to this plea? Then ...

Ishizu slowly nodded, looking right into Hetmas' eyes as she allowed her sentence to be completed, "If that truly is all you want, or for anything as simple and pure enough? I'll go with you now to speak with Hakar."

She was very close to what he was seeking in his intent. And she was agreeing to it. It made things a lot easier in his mind, and he felt himself shift to be a little lighter than before. She might not be a full ally to his cause, but she wasn't an enemy, and didn't seem like a bystander. That meant there was a chance.
"Hakar will do it, that much isn't a problem. The issue is Hakar's assignment. He is slated to go the garrisons with me right now. I need a way to remove him from my command without ruining him. That would mean either making something of a united appeal to Atem for just this one man...or...a decree that he perhaps observe the front lines on behalf of a member of the Royal court and family." The implication was very clear. What should also be clear was that if the attempt to influence Atem was done, the alternative could be seen as direct defiance. But if they didn't ask him, then it could be sen as circumventing his authority.

There were no good answers here. It was a desperate play for sure, but they had suddenly been thrust into desperate times.

"Hakar is a loyal man, to the army, and to the Empire. He would do this thing if I asked him, to his ruination, however reluctantly. He would do it without doubt if he was asked to do this thing by either Atem, or by us both. I do not wish to destroy a promising career if we can avoid it." He explained.

Now that the stakes were properly explained, the cards were on the table, and it was time to see what kind of commitment she had to this empire.

If her heart hadn't been racing before, it definitely was now. This wasn't simply dodging around her father. It could be viewed as outright defiance ... or even betrayal in the right - or wrong - eyes. So for her to even consider aiding someone else in doing exactly that ... this was indeed a very dangerous offer Hetmas was asking of her. Much more so than she had originally realized.

On the flip side, he was also being sincere with her. That was a good sign. So was the fact that during this entire talk, he had remained calm. He never made an effort to try to stalk closer to her, nor make any inappropriate moves or gestures upon her.

Granted, she didn't necessarily think any of her father's men would be that bold. But Ishizu couldn't say for certain if they were all that smart, reckless, or something else entirely. Still, all of the displays thus far were good. It was seeming at least as if Hetmas, at least, could be trusted. Maybe not completely, but enough to help him out. His heart was in the right place and she couldn't deny that if this allowed for things to turn around and work for Egypt as opposed to against the nation?

Then maybe it was worth the risk.

For all of her naivety, Ishizu always had a good, pure heart. And right now? The people - regardless of where they were in the caste system - were in a pretty grim situation. Now more than ever, she was seeing that much to be true. Personally, Ishizu had never been fond of the system. As far as she was concerned, equality should be more spread out; or, at least, everyone should be granted certain liberties. The ability to live and being kept informed were two of the few that Ishizu always very firmly believed in.

And because of her convictions .... there was only one correct answer to offer Hetmas.

"I'll do it. I'll go with you. I'm certain it goes without any real saying that this absolutely must be kept silent. Understand me; I take no joy in going against my father. But ... you're not wrong. Your reassignment ... is very confusing. Even still, I don't quite get why that decision was made. And above all else? I don't even want to think of Egypt being overrun by anyone, Persians or otherwise. So if only for the citizens and trying to give the other soldiers a chance to keep Egypt safe?"

She nodded firmly.

"I'll do it. Let's go."

Indeed, Auset had been silently working in the corner. She hadn't meant to look or appear as if she were eavesdropping. She had just been in both the right and wrong place at the right and wrong time.

"I'm trusting you, Auset."

"Of course. No one will hear of this from me, and if they do? You can cut my tongue out."

Ishizu shook her head, flashing Auset a smile. "I wouldn't dare. Even with the right justification. You've been too good to me to earn such treatment. Anyway ... "

Walking beside Hetmas, Ishizu nodded towards Auset, "Kindly go on and get a bath ready. I'll get in it when I return."

"Of course, Princess."

After uttering those words, Auset bowed her head to both her friend and Hetmas, leaving swiftly and promptly to comply with the newly given orders. Ishizu would let Hetmas move forward first. But once he started to walk out of her room and through the palace? She followed suit ... though not without feeling incredibly anxious. Each step she took caused her heart to beat harder against her chest. Scared as she was, Ishizu did still wish to do this.

Egypt and all of its people just deserved better. End of story. It had been one of the first lessons her father had taught her years ago. Now it was time for her to follow through with the very same policy that the Princess had been instructed to heed, particularly in desperate moments like what they were currently experiencing. Denying Hetmas now would be just as dangerous as agreeing to it.

What kind of woman, let alone future Queen, would she ever appear to be if Ishizu simply turned her back on everyone?

These thoughts and more ensured her resolve remained intact. Even with her continuing to feel so very nervous. She kept moving, never daring to look up nor speak before reaching their destination.

Hetmas let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding, and let his body relax. He felt like he'd been holding that tension in for so long his shoulders barely remembered what it felt like to be loose. He drew in a another breath, steadying himself again. The realities of the war front had forced him into similar situations before, but none that were quite this direct. For the Empire, for hte people, for the men under his command...that had been under his command. That part was going to take some getting used to.

Hetmas still kept an eye on Auset as she moved off. Ishizu trusted her...and he was trusting Ishizu...so he supposed that he would have to trust her as well. Though if this somehow leaked to Atem, he knew who was going to be on the top of his list of suspects, and he would make sure that the betrayal was well answered. he shook his head. He was borrowing trouble from tomorrow, when he had plenty to deal with now.

Ishizu walked beside him, it was something that made Hetmas pay a little more attention. She could have walked behind him, using his size and bulk for protection, an excuse if questioned, for who would refuse Ishizu's request for escort as she moved through the palace? She could have walked before him, it was her right as royalty. Walking beside him nearly intimated that she considered the two of them on a more equal footing. That was something that he also had to try and adapt himself to. Still he led her through the palace, coming to the series of chambers that he and his men had been assigned when they came in answer to the summons of the Pharaoh. Hetmas knew which room he needed, and pushed the door open without prompting.

Hakar looked up from his bed, stripped to his kilt alone for idle time, but his eyes went wide when he saw Hetmas, and leapt to his feet. When he saw Ishizu, knowing who she was he stumbled, and dropped to his knees in respect and reverence. Hetmas snapped his fingers, calling Hakar's attention back to him, and he waved him up.
"Stand. You'll not receive orders on your knees." Hetmas said bluntly.
"Orders. Yes sir! What orders have you for me?" Hakar asked.
"Simple. You're being reassigned as an observer at the front. On behalf..." he turned to look at Ishizu. "...of royalty. The princess wishes to have better knowledge of the status of the front, do you know my Lady?" He asked. It was minor theater. They had to go through all oft he motions involved to ensure that there was no hint of doubt that this would be a legitimate order. But at the same time, Hakar was not a stupid man. He had to know that this had ulterior motives behind it. One could almost see the thought whirring behind his eyes, connecting the pieces there. It was already fairly common knowledge what had happened to Hetmas and his staff. Gossip traveled fast after all.

"Is this true my Lady? Are these orders from you?" Hakar asked, calmly now, his mind already puzzling out exactly what was going to really be expected of him. So long as there were no official pretenses, only unofficial and deniable ones, then this whole scheme had a chance to work.

The better wording was - at least as far as this war situation went - she considered Hetmas just a bit more superior to her. He had all of the years of experience. He knew the right moves to make, all the right things to say to his men, all the strategical decisions to give his subordinates. Her rank as royalty could only do so much in the end, particularly if she was in the wrong situations. Suffice to say, this was definitely one of them.

There were a few other things that aided Ishizu in being able to walk beside Hetmas inside of in front of or behind him. His behavior back in her room was the primary one. And even now, he continued to repeat those same patterns. She was even closer ... it wouldn't take but a mere reach for him to do literally anything to her. And with Ishizu not being trained in any real type of combat, she wouldn't really have been able to win in a fight of any kind, and that was taking into account the possibility of Hetmas simply using his bare hands, grapples, or both.

This was, in its simplest form, yet another test for Hetmas. And thus far? He appeared to be passing it.

Could he ... maybe?

If she had to feel rushed to come up with a name, then perhaps he wouldn't be the worst choice. Of course, Ishizu would still prefer if her father hadn't given her so little time. But push had come to shove. With that being the case ... she was attempting to get started on the task that had been given to her. This wasn't how she wanted to go about picking a suitor, but ... it was something.

For now, though, she merely tucked that thought aside. She had a few more days, after all. No sense in rushing or over-thinking on that topic while she still had chances to properly dwell on it.

Soon, the duo arrived inside another room. She glanced towards Hetmas, looking ready to ask and confirm if this was his second. In the midst of turning her head, however, she found the almost completely nude Hakar ... and quickly lowered her eyes towards the ground, face already beginning to burn a bright red hue.

To be fair, many of the slaves tended to wear as much as Hakar was at that moment. But that was probably what made it feel ... inappropriate. Hakar was most certainly not a slave. He was more than simply Hetmas' second; he was one of her Father's best soldiers and tacticians. It didn't feel right to stare at him while he was clothed; or not, depending on one's point of view.

Unfortunately ... confirmations needed to be made. And when she heard her cue, Ishizu mustered enough courage to look Hakar right in the eyes. She was still crimson; Isis help her. No amount of time keeping her eyes averted had even started to make her face return to its normal color. But she had to speak with Hakar and let him know Hetmas wasn't just saying these words for his own sake.

"My apologies. But ... yes. Hetmas is correct. I gave him my blessing, my consent to relay this news to you."

Even if Hetmas hadn't insisted or tried to prove that Hakar was smart, she knew that much to be true herself. All of the ten males who entered the war room earlier were chosen because they were exceptional in their fortes. Atem expected and demanded to have the best. Almost everything her father wanted, he tended to get. The best possible soldiers were no exception.

And it was because of this that her voice lowered ... and she revealed the true reason for accompanying Hetmas here.

"The more correct wording is ... Hetmas isn't the only one upset with my father's decision. I'm allowing you to go through with circumnavigating my father because ... " Ishizu shook her head from side to side. "It wouldn't be right of me to risk letting Egypt fall into an even worse state than we're already in. And if me giving consent will give our country even a sliver of hope ... then I'll help you both."

Hakar stared at Ishizu for a long moment, taking in all that she was saying. There it was, all out in the open, and he knew then that there was really only one thing to do then. Hakar sank to one knee.
"I accept these orders with all my being. And my Lady Ishizu...know that when you should become queen...you'll already have the loyalty of this soldier, for reason beyond simple duty." Hakar intoned. Hetmas smiled. It was a good thing to do, it was honest, and at this point he knew that this could be an important moment for Ishizu as well. Still, they all had things to do. He nudged Hakar with his foot.

"Get off the floor. It's a long way to the front, and you need to get back there far sooner than later old friend." Hetmas groused to him. Hakar didn't seem put out by either the gesture or the words, and rose to his feet.
"Very true General. With the permission of you both, I'll make ready to depart as soon as possible. I'll not fail you. Either of you." He bowed his head once more, and Hetmas smiled a little wider. Hakar was a good man, and would serve this task very well indeed. He nodded, and moved to the door. He waited for Ishizu, his arm gesturing to allow her to step out first, but with a clear care to avoid making contact with her, not wanting to lay hands on her person without permission. Granted, laying hands on her for any reason was a crime in the palace, and it bore steep penalties. He doubted that she'd require such a thing, but it was best to be cautious for sure.

He didn't speak again until they were outside of the section set aside for his people. He let out a deep sigh of relief.
"You've done me a good turn of aid Ishizu. You should know that I am in your debt. Should you ever need my aid, know that you haave but to name your need, and I will help how I can." He promised her. "Were you intending to return to your quarters straight away? I would ensure you arrive to such a place safely, with your permission."

It was a disaster that had been averted, and Hetmas was still feeling light headed from the whole situation, that they had likely averted a great tragedy, adn done so swiftly, and without causing harm to others. Once Hakar was back in place, then things would be secured, and Hetmas could bide his time in garrison duties until he had another opportunity to better distinguish himself. And Ishizu had shown herself willing to take a risk, adn do so for the Empire. It was a promising sign to one that was said to rule one day.

Even Ishizu couldn't help but smile at Hakar's words. They were simple ... but the meaning behind them was incredibly significant, and just as powerful in its own rights. Loyalty was especially vital in not only Egypt, but everywhere else that had any sort of system, caste or otherwise. And so, despite having gone against her father, hearing Hakar vow his fealty made up for her own act of defiance.

Granted, Ishizu wasn't expecting this to haunt her later; at least not because of Auset or her own carelessness. However, on the off chance it did? Now she at least had back-up already in the midst. It was also true to guess that compared to anything Hetmas or Hakar may suffer through, she wouldn't endure anything quite as horrific. But in its own rights? It likely would be pretty bad all the same.

Ishizu forced the thoughts aside as a shiver trailed along her spine, instead focusing upon the here and now rather than possible what-if scenarios. They may be very valid concerns, but there was no point in fretting over them just yet. Instead, she managed to smile at Hakar, politely bowing her head as she took his promise in and tucked it away.

"I thank you for your vow. They mean a lot."

Right before she could turn and pivot to begin walking away to her room, Hetmas spoke up. And ... she wasn't necessarily against the idea of being escorted back. On the contrary, if it had to be done, it'd be wise to do so with the same man anyone who took her here. Especially if anyone outside of Auset had seen her alongside Hetmas. It'd help keep consistency in whatever lie she may have to tell ... if, again, things came to that type of degree.

"If you think you can do so quickly then go about your own work? Please do. I'd otherwise be fine allowing you to leave and keep up your own appearances. Since you're offering and sound fine getting me back ... yes. You may."

Fortunately, the walk back was essentially the same as the walk to Hakar's room. Maybe a few people noticed them, but they quickly averted their gaze when Ishizu came into view. It was only a bit disheartening. Hopefully that could be changed when she was Queen ... she could give people fewer reasons to feel like they couldn't look her in the eyes. For now, unfortunately, it was a bit of a blessing. Were anyone to stop them and ask questions ... it could go messy very swiftly, and truthfully? That was something she just wanted to avoid altogether if doable.

Before Hetmas got out of sight, he'd see Ishizu give him another smile.

"I hate that this had to be done behind my father's back, but thank you for seeing me all the same."

She truly did, too. It wasn't just a mere reply she uttered to please him or anything. IT was the honest to gods truth, and that ... actually hurt Ishizu a bit. Knowing she had to go to these degrees ... just for the sole reason of knowing her father truly had made one of the worst mistakes. And, in the long run, everyone would suffer more so than they already were with the Nile's flooding being late.

"Ah, my lady! It was starting to get cold. I just put a few more coals in to warm it back up."

A bit of crimson reappeared on Ishizu's face as she smiled and followed Auset into her bath.

Thankfully, it went without much talk; mainly because Auset knew - or at least was able to fairly discern - how risky of a meeting she'd just had. However, she did allow at least one question to be voiced out loud.

"How was Hetmas?"

"How was he?" Ishizu repeated.

"Well, he ... didn't misbehave or anything, did he?"

"No. No, actually ... and I won't deny, that was a rather pleasant surprise. I was a bit afraid of ... " Ishizu's head shook. "I'm not sure what. And that was foolish, really. Hetmas is one of Father's best for reasons. I ... I don't know. I feel horrible for even fearing being near him, at least right now. I guess ... if I had to give a reason. It dawned on me while I sat in Father's war rooms just how little I know; not only of tactics regarding conflicts, but any of the closest warriors to Father. I don't really know many of their mindsets, who is truly loyal or not, and suddenly ... I'm a bit terrified, if I have to be honest. So ..."

Ishizu turned, flashing Auset an anxious, but otherwise sincere, grin.

"You did the right thing by convincing me to go and listen in. Thank you for that. I'm definitely going to attend more often."

Auset smiled back. To say she was relieved was an understatement. She was ecstatic. It was unfortunate her plan had worked that well. The last thing she wanted to do was make her friend and Princess on edge. But at the same time? It was clear from her response that had been a much needed reality check for her. And it was more obvious she would take her advice to heart, which was nice.

After washing up, Auset would help Ishizu dry off and get dressed in a mostly white - with some hints of gold - translucent gown. They would bid one another good night ... and Auset walked away to her own chambers with the other handmaidens.

For the first time in a long while, Ishizu found sleep in the uneasiest manner. But when it did overtake her? She fell asleep, and remained in her slumber until morning arrived.

The groan she greeted Auset with indicated the state she'd found rest in, which resulted in Auset looking a bit sheepish ... but not enough to stop waking Ishizu up. Ishizu was at least semi-conscious by the time Auset was helping her brush her hair out with a comb that supposedly belonged to her late mother.

"Are there any meetings today, Auset?" Ishizu finally managed to ask. A pensive look appeared on the Princess' face when she felt her friend and handmaiden move her head from side to side. "Very well. You can leave after helping me with my hair."

"... You're sure?"

"I am. Take today to be with the other handmaidens and assist any who still need guidance or training. You are in charge of them for more than simply being my closest friend."

Auset bowed her head, setting the comb down as she finished her chore up.

With her now being completely alone, she thought long and hard on the idea racing through her head ... and slowly nodded. If she wanted to start fixing things and working on becoming a competent, future Queen? Certain things would need to happen. Today would include one of those steps that Ishizu needed to take, and for that? It meant she had to go through with her plan.

First thing was first; she'd need a cloak. Even if the ones Ishizu possessed didn't really hide her face, doing so to at least make the ceremonial tattoos not immediately noticeable would be helpful. And so, she began to rummage through her wardrobe, looking for exactly that.

The escort seemed like the most prudent thing to do really, and Ishizu seemed agreeable to the whole thing, making the rest of the situation more bearable. Most of hte staff that caught sight of them going back had seen them going away, and there hadn't been nearly enough time for anything truly salacious, which made it seem for all the world that the princess had simply wanted to take some time to herself, adn needed an escort that was trustworthy to do so. Hetmas, great general, hero of the Empire, was an obvious choice, and his agreement to do so was nothing if not an adendum to his tale of loyalty, and a boon to Ishizu's reputation that such a man was willing to aid her with no seeming issue or hesitation.

As he bid her a silent farwell after returning her to her chambers, he wasn't immune to the fleeting, illusive smile that he caught from her as he lef,t adn it did leave him wondering if there was context there that he needed to look into. He banished that from his mind. He was a great general, one who fought and won his way through blood and fire to get to his place. But at the end of the day, he was still common born. He had reached the zenith of his place among the Empire, but he had never aspired to reach great heights, only if such would allow him to serve better.

Hetmas went back to his own chambers. There were a few body slaves that he had on staff that stepped to the moment he entered, removing the pieces of ceremonial garb he'd worn for his meeting with the Pharaoh, and once that was done, they departed without a word spoke. These people were not like Auset, not trusted servants steeped in tradition and ritual, they were simple people that served a purpose. He'd had manyover the years, and he barely knew the names of these ones. Still, they were efficient, adn they knew full well that so long as they served him well, he'd ensure they weren't mistreated. He heard a knock at his door, adn sighed.

"Enter." He called.

One of his staff, Salatis, came into his chambers, securing the door behind him. He looked to see if the body slaves had departed, adn nodded when he was sure that they had.
"So, the end of the Empire is averted. And you...conspired with the princess?" Salatis asked.
"No conspiracy was done. We simply had an agreement to accomplish a task." Hetmas countered, not getting up from his seated place on his bed.
"Still, Hakar heads back tot he front, and you remain in the garrisons...a bold move. Risky. And with royal aid, it seems like far more."
"If I'd sought power, I'd have seen to it that I was the one that remained on station. Hakar is skilled, good at his job. His presence will help the current, inexperienced officers, adn ensure that morale stays high. The princess simply agreed to my reasoning, and agreed to help me."
"There is some limited talk that you might be seeking more power. The kind that only comes from the princess herself." Hetmas gave a laugh.

"Atem has given her much leeway compared to normal royalty, but I am still but common born. As much as I might do to distinguish myself, I am little more than a fly on the wall to her. Not worthy of her consideration for such. A common born pharaoh? Could you imagine?" Hetmas mused.
"I could great general. And what is more, many of the ocmmon folk could too. If such a man was clearly blessed byt he gods, evidenced in his many successes. There is power that might be wielded if one were to consider it." Salatis answered, an eager look on his face. Hetmas shook his head.

"Enough of this talk. Have the officers prepare for departure within the week. We've much ground to cover. And when we find hte garrisons, I imagine that they will be in a state of terrible readiness, which we will will put to rights." Hetmas ordered. Salatis nodded.
"Right away sir." Salatis gave a salute, adn took his leave, letting Hetmas at last fall back onto his bed.

He lay there for some time, all the while trying to find the illusive feeling of sleep. It simply wouldn't come. He'd been awake for some time, but at this point, he knew it was unlikely that he was going to make it there. Call it an old soldiers instinct. He sighed, and got up, finding a set of simple clothes, and pulling on a heavier, more enfolding cloak than he normally wore, and took his leave of his chambers. A quick tour around the palace would set his mind at ease, and with a little luck allow him to get some proper sleep. That was the idea anyhow. He still bore a few lighter elements of armour under the robe, leather strapping across his most vulnerable points. He also carried several weapons, a short stabbing blade that was normally used in conjunction with a shield, as well as an older pattern blade that was rarely seen anymore. It was a Khopesh sword, held safely on Hetmas' back, keeping it from view, but it allowed him a weapon of significant reach that also had a few tricks to it that he might find useful. The fact he was equipped for conflict gave him some solace, and he set about keeping an eye for anythign that one might construe as out of place or conspicuous.

A slight, but otherwise noticeable, frown was adorning Ishizu's face. Just as she'd observed earlier, the cloak did absolutely nothing to hide her face. It would have been very highly preferred for the idea that had come to her mind. But, at least, certain other tell-tale giveaways were concealed, even if one could say in a questionable manner. And they wouldn't exactly be wrong; the cloak was silk in nature due to her status as royalty. As such, it was more translucent than outright opaque, and thus could be seen through. But then again, one would have to take the time and effort to look for things such as her ceremonial tattoos.

And it was because of this exact fact that Ishizu tried to reassure herself it was worth making the effort to follow through with the plan that had entered her head.

Was it sudden? Yes, definitely. Dangerous? Absolutely.

But if she ever truly wanted to become an even half-decent - if not better - Queen in the future ... then this was a necessary risk that had to be taken. And even without going to her Father, Ishizu knew he would refuse to give permission for this. And so, once again, she found herself having to defy Atem; or at least circumnavigate his rules.

If she could help it, no one would know what she was about to do. That had been one of the true reasons for sending Auset away, even if it pained her slightly. Still, telling her friend what she was really going to do would put her in as much danger if she knew such information ahead of time. Auset had already done more than enough by vowing to hold her tongue with her agreeing to speak with Hetmas and Hakar privately to ensure they could prevent Egypt from falling.

It just seemed senseless to put her in any further danger.

Now, though ... she managed to return to the here and now, nodding at her reflection as she slowly stood up. Ishizu wasn't expecting trouble. However ... it was always better safe than sorry. Despite her father trying to keep her in the dark about many things regarding the state of Egypt and how to rule it, Ishizu wasn't completely ignorant of certain facts. One of them included acknowledging there could be some very shady and dangerous individuals that lurked out and about the streets.

And so, to help complete her preparations, Ishizu slipped a dagger into one of the few pockets her outfit had included. It wasn't much, no. But it was something, a precaution. A very suitable one, as far as she was concerned; in fact, Ishizu was rather proud with what she was doing, all things considered.

Her eyes slowly closed as she elicited a long, deep breath; it was now or never.

Ishizu nodded once more as her eyes came back into view ... and before her courage faltered, she slipped out of her room, slowly beginning to exit the palace completely. Her goal? To get an up-close and personal look on how the citizens, artisans, and even slaves were doing, particularly with the Nile still not having yet flooded. In order to do this, she would need to leave the confines of not just her room, but her home, and find these answers out for herself.

Hetmas was feeling more and more at ease as he moved through the palace. All seemed quiet, all seemed right with the palace proper. He wasn't pleased with the Pharaoh, but at least he'd managed to blunt the disaster that had been coming, and he felt like he might have made a valuable ally for the future. Who knew, perhaps after Ishizu took the throne, perhaps she might have some purpose for him on her military staff. Who knew how many years off that was, her father was still hale and healthy, and would likely rule for decades yet. Hetmas may be well passed his prime by then, but he hoped he'd be able to turn his talents to more grand strategy and still prove useful to this Empire.

Despite the way the quick tour had gone, Hetmas found that it helped settle him in to make a patrol of this sort with a certain amount of frequency, a kind of additional security route. He doubted it was needed, but it helped settle him, and gave him something to do while he waited for the final instructions of his transfer to come through. He was long used to taking watch tours, small patrols, things that showed his men that he was not above their common tasks. No one in his force should ever think of themselves as that.

He was getting ready to return to his chambers when he caught sight of something suspicious to his mind. A cloak wearing person was making a direct line for the exit. What was more, the way the cloak moved with her motion spoke to the quality of the fabric that it had to be made of. He narrowed his eyes. A handmaiden perhaps, off to do the bidding of Atem or Ishizu? No, that wasn't it, there would be no reason to send a single handmaiden out, especially with no escort. The streets could be dangerous, especially for most anyone alone. This was something else.

Curiosity and caution warred within him as he approached, and strained to make anything out. There was something in how she walked, something in how she moved that hearkened to his memory. Something recent. He felt a pit growing in his stomach as he began to comprehend what he was seeing, adn what it implied. He let loose a string of mental curses, each more vivid and colourful than the last, but in the end, he knew that he had to do something. What was more, he had to do it now, before there was an audience. He jogged forward, closing the gap between them until he was within easy range of a hissed warning.

"Princess!" He said as loud as he dared, which admittedly, wasn't loud. He kept closing with her, coming close to her but still staying just out of arms reach, as was customary and respectful of someone in her rank. "Might I inquire as to what you are intending to do? It seems for all the world like you intend to leave the palace."

A frown appeared on the Princess's face. Footfalls ... was that what she was hearing? Let alone right behind her?

Maybe they'll leave you be?

It wasn't likely, especially with how she was dressed. That in itself would draw unwanted attention. Her pulse began to quicken as she could already hear her mind screaming and begging for her to run. But then ... wouldn't that simply make things far worse before better? It'd definitely make her stand out even more so than she probably already did. It was one of the few things keeping her feet from moving at a swifter pace. Finally, the person called out to her ... and Ishizu's blood damn well nearly froze as they acknowledged they recognized her.

Ishizu pivoted on her feet, feeling both relieved and terrified it was Hetmas. With all that had happened yesterday, this was definitely not the worst person to run into. But even still, she had been trying to go through with her plan completely alone. And now ... that had all but backfired.

"Well ..."

Her head bowed as a defeated sigh resounded from her lips. "You're correct. I am. I ... " Slowly, Ishizu lifted her head, looking up and meeting Hetmas' eyes. "The meeting in the war room was but a small taste of beginning to understand how everything works. Especially with the Nile not yet flooding ... I wanted to see if I could better understand - or at least view with my own eyes - the overall morale. Probably lack of ... but .... I want ... no, need .... to know just how dire things are."

The slightest of tremors entered her voice as Ishizu continued, "You know how father is. He'd just immediately have me locked away if I even dared ask for his permission. I can't keep staying in the dark. That's exactly why everything that occurred yesterday did so. If I'm to take over ..."

She let her words trail off, knowing perfectly well Hetmas could fill the blanks in without her spelling it out.

"So .. please. I'm sorry for the way I tried to slip out, and likely made myself look, but allow me to do this."

It was probably an odd thing for him to hear. Royalty - the princess, at that rate - asking a high ranked general for permission. But considering he also knew Atem and his mannerisms? Maybe it wouldn't be as strange for Hetmas to hear. Regardless, the words made it clear she wasn't about to try to run from him, knowing that - for an array of reasons - it would be incredibly foolish to even attempt. Thus, she was attempting to negotiate with him.

Ishizu didn't want to guilt trip him ... but if it came down to that? She would. But only as a last resort.

Hetmas found himself torn in this situation. Ishizu was indeed being honest with him, that much was painfully obvious to him. But at the same time, if he went ahead and reported this incident, it might even elevate him in her father's eyes. Maybe.

Maybe was a useful word in this case. There was a chance it might help him, but there was a certainty that it would alienate her, and she was the future, not the present. Hetmas turned his mind to how he woudl deal with this had she been a soldier under his command. Trying to avoid a specific assignment from the desire to learn more about what was going on, the better understand the morale and strategic situation. He'd probably have the soldier dig latrines for a week.

But he'd also let them go, to better educate themselves.

Hetmas shook his head.
"No. No, I cannot allow this to proceed as it is." He said plainly. He paused a moment before continuing. "Alone and without anyone even knowing you're gone? If it were to be discovered that I knew and allowed you to leave, I'd face execution at the very least. No, if you're to go into the city to look about, I'm going to have to go along with you. Discreetly of course, froma distance to allow you the freedom to move, but close enough to intervene if needed." He finished, nodding to himself at that thought. He and Ishizu were already tied together from their plot to hold the North, what was one more conspiracy, one more little risk to take?

Maybe everything.

But that was the die he had cast. And for better or worse, he was going to follow it.

Ishizu's mouth opened, looking very ready and damn well nearly about to protest Hetmas. Or, if she couldn't win by arguing, use the trump card she had immediately tucked away into her head. Thankfully, there was a second part, something she mentally noted from the words 'as it is'. That alone aided Ishizu in holding her tongue .. at least for now.

And ... he wasn't wrong. In truth, his concerns were very valid. Honestly, she felt a bit horrible upon realizing just how bad of a day everyone in the palace would have if she went out - alone - and something did indeed happen. It wouldn't just be Hetmas who would receive some form of reprimanding. Hakar would likely also ... so would Auset, the other handmaidens and servants throughout the palace.

That would be all on her. And Ishizu knew that whatever her father punished each and every single individual with ... it would not be good for anybody. Nor would she likely keep or maintain a slightly decent image with her people, in or out of the palace.

Ishizu let out a soft sigh ... then nodded, acknowledging Hetmas' response. "You're ... you're right. It would be wiser to have someone else with me, even if from afar. I ... I'm sorry. I should have thought about quite a bit, including what could have occurred had I just exited on my own, but ... "

Her head moved from side to side as the Princess forced those thoughts to go away, even if only for now.

"Thank you. I'll accept your offer."

With that declaration having been made, Ishizu walked on ahead, knowing Hetmas would be close by. Soon, the two would exit the royal residence and enter the streets of Alexandria. Ishizu had to quickly lift her arm in front of her to shield her eyes. She'd assumed the sun would be bright; just not quite to this degree. Was this what it always felt like?

It must be unbearable, particularly during the summer.

But then ... this was the way of life. There weren't many options which could allow anyone not of royal or higher up status to have a luxury like living inside a shady, protected area. Already, just from the first few steps she'd taken, Ishizu was quickly beginning to see and realize just how different her life no doubt was from literally almost any and everyone else.

With how people are forced to live ... do they hate me? My father?

Some likely did, and the realization honestly terrified her. Not quite enough to turn back and run home ... though, admittedly, the temptation did still linger in her head. No. Ishizu would make good on her vow. Even though she was now a bit more on edge than usual, she continued to slowly walk through the streets, glancing at the numerous stores set up. Every detail that she could keep track of was noted; from the artisans, foods being offered, clothing, but perhaps above all else?

There was a look of desperation that could be seen in just about everyone's eyes. It was as disheartening as it was terrifying to see.

But then ... this merely meant she'd made the right choice to walk out and about. Changes did need to happen and, from the looks of it, sooner as opposed to later.

The area outside of the palace was well maintained, and it was close enough that no one wanted to try and start trouble there. From taht point he allowed Ishizu to develop a decent lead on him, but he never let his eyes leave her. He made a note to browse at some of the market stalls, making it seem like he was here for something other than just tailing someone. He could see that food was higher priced that it had been before, a sign of the coming troubles if the Nile did indeed not flood at all this year. There were grain reserves for such an occasion, but it would do little to assuage concerns int he coming future. After all, the reserves would hold for some time, but eventually they would have to either solve the food crisis, or start importing it.

Importing it would be expensive, and Hetmas knew that once food started to get particularly scarce, there would be calls to scale back what was given tot eh army, and that would lead to entirely different problems, and not ones that would be good for anyone involved. He caught sight a few individuals that were seeming to keep track of other people within the market that stood out. What really caught his eye was when one of them seemed to be looking directly at Ishizu. He began to shoulder his way through the crowds more directly, wanting to be close enough to intercede if needed.

That was easier said than done unfortunately.

The market was growing steadily harder to shove through, when Hetmas watched as several of the figures that he was tracking moved closer to Ishizu. One of them caught her attention, and called her over, offering to show her some rare and fascinating texts brought from beyond the seas, ones that contained lore on how one might be able to continue farming even without the flooding of the Nile. Hetmas could hear his sales pitch, and knew full well with how much Ishizu had been looking to see how things were, it was doubtful that she'd pass up the possibility of fixing the current crisis. Even as the man spoke, four others moved in behind her, looking to take her prisoner and spirit her away.

While continuing to walk through Alexandria's streets, Ishizu subconsciously took her own set of precautions. She hadn't forgotten that Hetmas was nearby. Still, even with knowing this, she kept her distance. Her head was lowered slightly in an effort to keep her face mostly hidden, as well as to blend in with the other citizens. Of course, the clothing very likely gave away she was among the richer civilians. But at least this way, she could keep that guise up. Ishizu could otherwise mingle in and not gather any unwanted attention to herself.

In its own rights, it was a bit of a shame. Certain stands, in particular, most definitely tempted her to get an even closer look, but ... she didn't move forward much. And even when she did? Ishizu was swift to move away, continuing to ensure no one got too good of a look at her.

Unbeknownst to the Princess, she had already done exactly what she'd tried to avoid. Attention had been grabbed in the form of four males. Much like Ishizu had rightfully been weary of, her clothes were what hinted she would be a perfect target.

Although most people were born poor, and thus became slaves that way, there were some who were unfortunate enough to be sold and thus forced into slavery. The even more unfortunate truth was that even among its own citizens, there were some Egyptians shady enough to indulge in that type of business. A perfect example were the same set of men who had been stalking the Princess almost immediately after she began walking past the numerous stores and vendors.

Slowly, but very surely, they were circling around Ishizu. In the process of moving, they flanked her, purposely keeping Hetmas from immediately seeing her among the sea of people. Granted, they didn't likely recognize the general, nor even know he was protecting the very same woman they had been stalking. But considering what they were about to do? They weren't about to follow through with their actions without some precautions of their own.

The more accurate wording, really, was there were five guilty party members. The same vendor who motioned for Ishizu to come forward was involved. His 'job' merely made it easy for him to get away with being linked to the other four whom often did the 'grab and go' jobs.

"There are more spices in the back if you wish to view the storage, miss."

Ishizu's head lifted, hinting she heard the man speak to her. Although she wasn't glancing over her shoulder, she had taken note of certain things. One was the lack of seeing her own shadow ... which implied one thing. Were it evening, Ishizu would have accepted the thought of it being too dark. Alas, that was not the case. There was at least one person behind her. However, a quick peek with peripheral vision hinted it was not Hetmas, nor was it only person. It was definitely more ... and already, that had made her a bit nervous as things were going.

Now that she'd heard the offer given to her? That ... honestly sounded a bit amiss. She couldn't precisely figure why. Some part of her just knew that it didn't sound right.

"I appreciate it, but ..."

That was when a blade was pressed against her back. With the men hovering around her, it wasn't obvious she was being held at any type of weapon point. And before she could cry out or get Hetmas' attention, a rough voice whispered into her ear, "Heed his offer. Don't be rude. No screaming, or your tongue will be cut out. Understand?"

Ishizu shakily nodded, moving behind a long set of curtains. She would find for herself the salesman was likely associated with these four, because there were no spices whatsoever. In fact, it was borderline empty.

But before she could take advantage of her settings, one hastily clapped a hand over her mouth. The same man muffling her screams and frantic cries for help - which immediately tried to leave her lips the moment the hand moved in place - wrapped his free arm around Ishizu's waist. Two others grabbed her arms, the men yanking and pulling her through a hidden passage that led to one of the outside alleys.

"Alright, Amir. What do we got? She a winner?"

"Might be more. Move your hand just a bit, Aker."

Ishizu felt her heart begin to pound. Even without looking and focusing on struggling against her captors ... she knew what was happening. The low but audible gasps hinted as much, and just in case any doubts tried to linger? The next set of words confirmed they'd found them.

"By the gods! This ... this is the Princess!"

"You exaggerate, right?!"

"No, look! These marks, these tattoos! They're the royal markings. This is, without a doubt, Princess Ishizu!"

The four looked between one another, wearing varying expressions. A few appeared absolutely ecstatic. But the others? They were - rightfully so - terrified.

"We need to let her go. The Pharaoh will have our heads if he finds out we sold her off!"

"You just said the keywords there, Aker. If he finds out. We can make this fast enough so that no one will learn of her fate."

"But what if she wasn't alone?! Surely, she wasn't that foolish to do such a thing!"

All four sets of eyes landed right on Ishizu. The male whom had yet to speak gave Amir a nod. The hand that was covering her mouth left, only to be replaced by another wrapping slightly around her throat. "Lest you want us to cut out your tongue, you'll answer us truthfully. No screaming, no calling out for anyone, and above all else? No lying. Is that understood?"

Ishizu latched onto her lower lip ... but gave her captors a slow, affirmative nod.

"So first thing's first -- are we right about your identity?"

"You are," Ishizu responded, causing another exchange between the men to occur.

The fourth man scoffed as he tightened his grip - mainly because he could as opposed to it being necessary - and asked in a very stern tone, "What about if you're alone or not? Are you?"

Ishizu merely shook her head, causing some of the men to curse.

"She's not worth our lives! We need to let her go!"

"You honestly, really should. That's the smartest thing you could do right now."

The same male keeping his hand around Ishizu's throat didn't look satisfied with this answer. If anything, it made him squeeze just a bit more so. "Not like this. If we're really going to ... then something else will be taken from you. You've heard and seen far too much as it is."

The dagger that had been pushed against her back mere moments ago was now being slowly lowered towards her eyes. Ishizu struggled and whimpered, already understanding what he seemed to have in store to make up for not selling her away.

"Are you mad, Mendes?! We're already going to get executed as it is should we get discovered!"

"Exactly," the man shot back, "So why hold back?!"

"I ... I can see about sparing you. Please .. don't do this. I've cooperated, have I not?"

"It is true. You have ... which makes this a bit of a shame. But I still stand by what I said; you've seen and know way too much, Princess."

Mustering every ounce of courage she could, Ishizu screamed as loud as her voice would allow.

"HETMAS!! HELP M--!"

Another hand went over her mouth, aiding Mendes in stifling her ... though now they were truly pressed for time. It was something they knew ... and exactly why the grip upon the princess tightened in every spot, particularly her arms. She was kept as still as possible ... all while the dagger continued to lower closer and closer to her eyes.

Hetmas let out a loud, colourful curse as he saw the pack of men grab Ishizu. This right there? This had been the exact kind of thing that Hetmas had been hoping to completely avoid. But he'd gotten too far away from her, and it had left her completely open. His fault. His failing. But he was not going to return tot he Pharaoh to explain that the princess had been kidnapped into Horus knew what horrors. Hetmas bulled through the crowd, and found the merchant that had acted as bait still working his stall, likely looking for the next target. He smiled at Hetmas, right until the soldier grabbed the front of his tunic and hauled him bodily off of the ground. He slammed the man into the wall behind the stall, and dipped into his cloak to draw his shorter blade.

"What's the meaning of oh." The man went quiet as the blade appeared.
"Where? Tell me now, and I'll spare you the feeling of your own face being peeled off." Hetmas warned him, tapping the sharp edge of the sword on the man's cheek. The merchant looked like he was about to throw back some bluster, but then he took a long look at Hetmas face.
"Oh Gods, general Hetmas. Oh Gods preserve-"
"Where?" Hetmas snarled.

"Two...two streets over, the cellar of the building with the green door!" The merchant squawked out. Hetmas set him on the ground. And then he stomped on the shin of the man, cleanly breaking the limb. The man started to scream, but Hetmas covered his mouth.
"If you lie to me, I will be back. And this will end poorly for you." He hissed. The man nodded into Hetmas hand, tears streaming down his face. "Now stay quiet. Don't want the guards here to pick you up for kidnapping, do you?" He man shook his head, and he moved away from him.

He had places to be.

He moved to the building that had been spoken of. He heard a few spurts of raised voices, but he still wasn't sure. The heard the shout from Ishizu, his name included.

And just like that, the time for subtlety had passed.

Hetmas threw his cloak off, and tried the cellar door. It was locked, and that might have held off the average onlooker, but he was not that. He grasped the door with both hands, and pulled. The weathered wood splintered in his hands, and he pulled the doors open. The dagger moving towards Ishizu's eyes shifted to her throat, an instant shift from victim to hostage, while several of the others rushed at the oncoming Hetmas.

Hetmas pulled the khopesh from his back, and smiled as he saw his foes coming in. They held themselves like those used to winning street brawls at extremely close quarters. He on the other hand, was a soldier, adn had been for most of his life. Blood and battle were his meat and drink. The first man had a dagger ready for an attack when Hetmas feinted a strike at him, making him recoil. Hetmas shifted his weight, and moved after the other man, the long blade easily outperforming the thug on reach, letting the curved blade open up his guts, and leave him screaming on the ground. Hetmas quickly snatched up the fallen dagger, and turned to face the other man, who had been sure he had an opening. Hetmas simply hammered the hilt of the khopesh into the man's forhead, staggering him, and letting Hetmas commit to a single hard strike that severed the man's head.

He turned to see the man that had been so intent on blinding Ishizu now standing behind her, dagger to her throat. The third man drew his arm back for a throw with a dagger, but Hetmas beat him to it, casting the newly picked up dagger into the man, laying him out with a blade in his eye. Teh last man looked on in stunned horror. Hetmas drew out his shorter sword, the straight blade sitting easily in his palm.

"Stay back! I walk free, or she dies!" He shouted.
"If she dies, believe me when I say that death will be the best part of your coming future." Hetmas promised.
"I walk free!" He demanded, the dagger coming harder against Ishizu's throat.
"Let her go then." Hetmas ordered. The man moved up to look over Ishizu's shoulder, which had been exactly what Hetmas had been waiting for. As the face came into clear view, Hetmas threw his shorter blade, the iron weapon plunging into the face of the man, killing him instantly. Hetmas lunged forward, grabbing the blade that had been at Ishizu's throat, and making sure it didn't harm her as the dead man fell. He stooped to be at eye level with her.

"Princess. Are you all right?" He asked her.

Back
Top Bottom