Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Skyrim fanfic idea - need opinions

ImaginationGoneWild

Loremaster Extraordinaire!
I want to write a Skyrim fanfic about my female Greybeard Dragonborn but I have no clue who to pair her with romantically? All the npc's are fun to write about but I don't want my story to become a fuckfest about her banging all the npc's. >.>

Her name is Anya the White/Anya the Greybeard. She's a 20-something year old and of Breton descent and was mostly raised by her maddened forsworn mother who believed was receiving visions from the old gods (Daedra). When Anya was little her mother told her that Hircine told her that Anya would become a great huntress one day (dragonborn hunting dragons). When it was discovered that Anya had inherited her mother's madness (visions); her (proud) Nord father (because he had enough of his ex-wife's nonsense as well) send Anya away to become a Greybeard.
The Greybeards figured out she was to become a dragonborn based on how well she mastered the voice and how her visions often featured a woman in a feather-cloak whom the Greybeards believe to be Kynareth (the goddess that taught the Voice to the dragons in the first place).

I altered the lore and timeline a bit to make the story flow better.

Alduin emerges from his Time Break portal -before- the events of Helgen by a few years; so the dragon crisis is going on for a while now. More and more dragons not only terrorize Skyrim but also the rest of Tamriel (all while the wars, etc... are happening). But a dragon incident at the Greybeard monastery has convinced Anya and the Greybeards that she cannot escape her destiny as the dragonborn. So they send her away to find her out what the gods want from her and how to deal with the dragon crisis. Only Anya is not a combative person. She's lived her entire life as either the child of a maddened forsworn sorceress or with monks on top a mountain cut off from the world.

I was thinking on using her romantic interest as someone who would support her throughout her journey to help her fulfill her destiny but she will also meet plenty of other characters.

I don't want to use Ulfric Stormcloak as her romantic interest cause I've seen those stories too often.
I also don't want to use Companion npc's cause they don't seem like the type to go on an epic adventure, they're more simplistic and would rather not get involved with the current war, etc...

Ondolemar comes to mind as a potential candidate because I think it would be interesting to see a Thalmor fall into a crisis of faith whilst aiding the dragonborn. I have a few scenes in my head for them. Maybe Ondolemar uses her as an asset when he figures out she can have visions and is/was a Greybeard (a person that Nords have great respect for). At some point in the story something happens like a betrayal that either leads the pair to Helgen (where Alduins pays them a visit, challenging the Dragonborn) or to either of the Thalmor occupied places (Northwatch or Embassy) which will force Ondolemar to rethink his allegiance to the Thalmor which will then spur him to support Anya and her quest to end the dragon crisis.

But do you guys know of any other npc that might provide an interesting relationship?

It's worth noting that a lot of NPCs that seem narrow are in fact just not very fleshed out, period. If you're not running contrary to the often simplistic baselines set, you have a lot of leeway to make a generally canon or at least non-contradictory portrayal of a character, such as a Companion. What can be interesting honestly boils down to how you execute it less than the pairing itself at a glance, even if that can help in a summary.

hi!
Sorry, wasn't ignoring you, life's just busy.
Your advice was helpful, thank you. ^^
I'm always iffy with using canon characters cause i want to make sure they're portrayed accurately as their creators intended. But with a game like Skyrim, it's difficult lol.
But then again you're right, I could give them my own spin. : 3

I'm picturing a side quest character like a member of the Companions, someone from the mage's college, or one of the Redguard nobles that you could expand upon. Like what happens after they build a relationship with the Dragonborn and their storyline ends? Do they then seek to help you with your mission? Or they run into you from time to time during their own travels? Perhaps they send a courier your way with the simple message "Meet me in Riften. I need to see you."

Back
Top Bottom