Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

By Campfire Glow - OOC

Liminal

Star
IC Thread
Characters
Dice

Here's our OOC, for all our bantering needs. I'll try and get the IC up later today. While we wait, why don't we each write a little about what our characters think of the rest of the party? They've been adventuring together for quite a while now--a good few years at least, I think, to be 4th level--and have plenty of opportunity to know each other. I can't imagine any of them really dislike each other, to have worked so closely for that long, but there could definitely be some friendly rivalries.

I'll start.

Ziven
I think Yulia likes Ziven a lot. That 20 Charisma doesn't hurt, of course, but they're also both outsiders in similar ways, or so she'd like to think; she'd find his history with the fae terribly fascinating, probably even envying it a little (though I imagine it's really nothing to be jealous of). She'd love his unusual looks, too. Really, he's more or less the full package for her. If she has any complaint with him, I think it'd be with his idolization of the classic hero narrative; she's not a fan of those stories, where it's always the violent men saving the day and the women either being rescued or punished for their "sins." She wouldn't seriously hold that against him, though.

Yulia would definitely be comfortable being sexual with Ziven, as frequently as he'd let her.

Drakon
Yulia would've struggled to trust Drakon at first--monster hunters are only a short step from witch hunters, after all. Once she learned more about him, though, she'd start to have some respect for him, especially knowing he chose to abandon the role that was put on him to live a life he actually enjoyed. The more she got to know him, the more she'd find to like, and I think she has a great deal of affection for him by now.

Once she got over the distrust, Yulia would definitely be open to having fun with Drakon.

Astera
I think Yulia has tremendous love for Astera in a big-sisterly sort of way. Probably sees her as a bit foolish and naive (very safe and loving upbringing from what I can tell, plus below-average Intelligence) and wants very badly to protect her and keep her out of trouble. Not from physical danger--Yulia has no illusions about Astera's ability to defend herself--but from people trying to take advantage of her in more subtle ways. Patronizing or no, her motivations are genuine.

Wouldn't stop Yulia from playing with her, either, if she's into women and Yulia in particular.

Selah
Another Yulia would've been slow to warm to, with Selah's initially cool attitude (the irony being lost on Yulia), but it wouldn't have taken as long to get past that as with Drakon. Knowing Selah's past, being sold off by her family, Yulia would view her as a kindred spirit. As long as Selah isn't a stick in the mud and doesn't preach or get in the way of Yulia doing what she wants, she'd have nothing to criticize.

Don't see anything that would keep Yulia from enjoying herself with Selah, either. She'd be fascinated by Selah's tattoo, probably curious about where she could get some ink of her own.

Last edited:
Ziven

Coming from the ass end of nowhere and being an uncivilized barbarian in the start, Drakon has learned to appreciate the fine things in life. Good music and entertainment being a part of the fine things Drakon enjoys, having a Bard in the party really makes Drakon happy.

That Ziven is a Tiefling by appearance if not birth doesn't matter really to Drakon. He is a Fallen Aasimar himself. And demons and fallen angels ought to stick together.

Yulia

It always good to have people with magical talents on hand. It makes life on the road much easier and safer. It also makes earning coin to live the good life easier.

It doesn't hurt if said magic user is then even easy on the eyes. And willing to share some intimate fun with Drakon.

Beyond that Drakon knows how it feels to be forced out of one's home for someone else's dumb purposes. The reason Drakon left home as a boy might differ, but he had to leave because of the whims of others just as well. So I think he could commiserate on that point.

Astera

Though be the standards of a ranger Drakon probably isn't a very good one. As he is less concerned about nature or slaying monsters as his conclave ought to do, he can appreciate the company of a fellow ranger.

Especially a fellow ranger willing to step into the front ranks of battle so Drakon can lug his trusty crossbow into place and feather his target with bolts from as far away as possible.

Like with the other female member's of the party it of course doesn't hurt that the company is pleasant and nice to look at.

In addition to the purely practical Drakon can respect Astera's lust for adventure and coin that made her leave home. He shares the joy of adventuring and the good life money can procure. After all in Drakon's eyes nothing is worse than a boring life in poverty.

Selah

Her cold demeanor would probably put Drakon off a little. But as with the other girls in the party, being pretty and and the somewhat exotic background of being a four elements monk would probably fascinate Drakon.

As someone who hails from a nomad tribe he knows what living with scarcity is like. So he at least would understand that aspect of a monastic life. Though not much else.

Beyond that I don't see anything that would prohibit them from getting along. He shares the outlook of sticking up for his group of friends as well, as they are reliable, good company and going at it alone would suck major ass.

Yulia
Ziven returns all of the affection that Yulia seems to have for him. He has rapport with her background, knowing what it feels like for people to think that you're evil before they've even ever talked to you. They probably have some rapport built based on the fact that both of them are Arcane Spell-Casters. Ziven has a belief that all people have a universal capacity to do good, and that it simply needs to be coaxed out of them. This could be a potential point of disagreement between him and Yulia, but he wouldn't hold that against her, or even bring it up unless prompted to do so. He probably writes songs for Yulia on a regular basis, which is the epitome of a Minstrel's affection.

Ziven would return sexual attention from Yulia immediately, and more than comfortable--he is eager to have fun with her, whenever she is willing.

Drakon
Ziven respects the decision to deny a greater calling in order to live a carefree and joyful life. It has a certain Byronic pull to it that Ziven, being a connoisseur of tales of Heroism, respects greatly. His education with the Seely fae makes him much more receptive and understanding to Drakon's cold and distant attitude, though that wouldn't stop him from trying to breach that shell to try and get to know him better, and when he did, he found that there was a great deal to like.

Astera
In a sense, Ziven is somewhat Jealous of Astera. Ziven never really had parents per se, in the Faewilds he had Mentors and Teachers, but there was always a certain distance that they kept from him that prevented them from satisfying any Parental archetype for him. He wouldn't hold this against her, though, and in fact he would use that envy as a motivation to spend time with her. He has rapport with her based on her being a hunter, as naturalistic themes feature prominently in Ziven's art. They also have similar personalities, easy-going and simple, not prone to tension.

Should she want it, Ziven would be more than willing to be intimate with Astera.

Selah
How quickly they became warm with one another is dependent mostly on Selah, as Ziven was more than willing to get to know her. He does not find her cooler attitude off-putting at all, due to his education in the Faewilds. So long as she does not make any moves to quiet Ziven's artistic expression, it is very unlikely that he would have any serious points of contention with her. He finds her tattoo extremely interesting, as one look at Ziven would tell you he is rather acquainted with having a more Avant Garde appearance.

If Selah desired intimacy with Ziven, he'd be perfectly willing to have fun with her.

One thing I want to reiterate/confirm with everyone, since I see a couple mentions of public play: can I assume "public" means "with people outside the party around"? I definitely want open sexuality around other party members, in camp and such, to be a thing in this. And while there will definitely be NPCs, I'm expecting most of this game to take place on seldom-traveled roads through the wilderness, so the party will largely be by themselves outside of specific encounters. Everyone good with that? Please let me know if you have any ideas for encounters you'd like to see.

Also, a note on mechanics and fiction, since this has come up: typically, I don't think of mechanics like classes being an in-setting thing. Like, Horatius mentioned Drakon being happy with another ranger in the group--but to me, that usually wouldn't be how the characters would see it. Like, Drakon was a monster-hunter trained by his tribe, so he'd call himself that, not a "ranger," and then Astera would just be "someone who learned to fight from her ex-mercenary dad" or whatever. They might just happen to have similar skills and fighting styles. Of course, if you want your class identity to be an explicit thing in-setting, that's something we can talk about.

I mention ranger because in Astera's background it specifically says : "Astera has, under his tutelage, become a full-bodied ranger all her own, helping protect her town until the lure of money and adventure lit s fire in her belly. She is no great hero, but is a friendly, deeply good, and wild girl at heart."

I am happy to call myself a Monster Slayer and nothing more.

I mention ranger because in Astera's background it specifically says : "Astera has, under his tutelage, become a full-bodied ranger all her own, helping protect her town until the lure of money and adventure lit s fire in her belly. She is no great hero, but is a friendly, deeply good, and wild girl at heart."

I am happy to call myself a Monster Slayer and nothing more.
Right, if your character actually would call themselves a ranger, that's totally fine. Just wanted to make it clear that I don't require them to share that identity just because they have the same mechanical class. Since everyone has different assumptions about how the rules and the fiction interact that way.

Ziven wouldn't mind her taking some space up in his bedroll. Though personally I'd wait until everyone's established their party dynamic in the OOC chat before we dip into IC.

Ziven wouldn't mind her taking some space up in his bedroll. Though personally I'd wait until everyone's established their party dynamic in the OOC chat before we dip into IC.
Fair enough. I mostly just went ahead and posted because I'm gonna be a little busy for the rest of tonight, and possibly much of tomorrow, so I wasn't sure when I'd have a better chance, and I didn't want to keep you all waiting. No rush.

I also very much wouldn't mind her waking up by Astera. She is very comfortable.

can i just assume i have the stuff i need for the few spells i know in my backpack, at least as far as components go

can i just assume i have the stuff i need for the few spells i know in my backpack, at least as far as components go
Oh yeah, for sure. Long as you have your equipment, you have your spell components (unless they cost money). Also, for flavor, feel free to make the components whatever you want, as long as they're not super valuable or useful on their own.

The worst feeling is knowing exactly what art you are looking for and being unable to find it. The art that inspired Astera is sitting somewhere and I can't find the darn thing.

I realized that I couldn't find it because it didn't exist. It was an edit someone did of an existing picture. Just went and re-edited it myself. This is about what I pictured for her.

Right Here

What a big cutie! It would be Impossible to find a fitting piece of art for Ziven, just with how busy his description is.

Gorgeous :love: In fact, I think I'll say it's Astera Yulia's waking up with. Not that it'll be long before anyone else who's up for it gets to have fun with her, hehe.

I think we should hold off on progressing the IC until tomorrow for Fithrale's sake, but I don't want to delay things longer than that--momentum is everything in group RPs. @Fithrale, if you're not able to post Selah's sheet and talk about her feelings toward the other characters today, you'll still be welcome to jump in later.

Yulia:

Selah wouldn't have been too standoffish for too long with Yulia, having taken every opportunity to hold and pet her familiar Moggin. Using the familiar as an opportunity to facilitate conversation between the two, she would do her best to learn about Yulia. Once she learned about the similarities between her past and Yulia's she would become attached to Yulia and a bit over protective in times of perceived threat. Often Selah would find herself positioned near Yulia often trying to snatch Moggin.

Ziven:

At first she would be on guard with him, always watching him and suspicious of him. In part due to her training and time in the monastery and her education about creatures from the fey and the like. After a bit of time she would've taken a more friendly approach to him and less guarded once she realized the amount of restraint and discipline he exercises in his day-to-day and his willingness to take an friendly approach with her. After a while she would confide in him that it's nice to have someone with more musical inclinations.

Astera:

Selah would've likely taken to Astera first. Being a woman who obviously knows how to take care of herself in dangerous situations and knows a good drink to boot would make her hard to ignore for Selah. Growing more comfortable over time with her, and seeing Astera warm to the group would also help Selah grow warn to the group as well. Astera and Selah would likely grow to be fast friends.

Drakon:

Selah wouldn't have much interest or interaction with him at first. Almost obviously avoiding him as much as possible. When she would eventually learn about him shirking his duty to his tribe she almost would've been intolerant to him for a while. Though, as time passed as she saw him help the group with difficult tasks and kept them alive she would warm to him and eventually come to like him, though she may still make off handed comments to him about his laziness from time to time. Half teasing, half honest.

Glad you could make it, Fithrale :D Remember to post Selah's sheet in the characters thread when you can. Otherwise, while I'd still love to see some of Astera's thoughts on the other characters from @Grimoire, I think we're fine to move forward on the IC whenever people feel like posting.

Sounds good! I'm working on those thoughts right now, and I'll get a post up as Astera just after.

Glad you could make it, Fithrale :D Remember to post Selah's sheet in the characters thread when you can. Otherwise, while I'd still love to see some of Astera's thoughts on the other characters from @Grimoire, I think we're fine to move forward on the IC whenever people feel like posting.

Sorry! Been crazy, really excited to get this RP rolling! Just did an IC post, I'll get on the rest of it and perhaps a more definitive description for Selah too.

I have no idea how to notate music, so whenever Ziven plays a bit, I'll just hyperlink something that I think sounds similar.

In General --
Astera is a warm soul and a fairly decent read of people. She likely took quite quickly to the group, setting herself up as something of a protector during their earlier adventures together. She's a cheerful icebreaker, and would have made it her job early on to unite the group. She may not be the brains, but she's certainly a heart.

Ziven
Astera has always had a fondness for bards, ever since the days of wandering 'round the ankles of those who called her father's tavern respite. While lacking any kind of performative talent or stage presence, she would love to play along with him on an old leather-skinned drum or whatever else she could get a reasonable beat on. She would find his exoticness utterly fascinating and would want to know much about his history, his magic, and his ways -- particularly as her father has likely mentioned run-ins with the overall world of the fey on more than one occasion, bedtime stories of the Sidhe and the wonders they spin.

Once she got over the oddity of his appearance, she'd be very comfortable in getting intimate with him.

Drakon
Drakon's laziness would have annoyed Astera pretty considerably due to her upbringing, but she's probably cooled down over it a bit by now. She good-naturedly prods him into assisting with chores around the camp, and has likely on more than one occasion invited him to spar. She can appreciate someone who has a similar canniness in the wilderness to herself, and there has likely been some connection over this commonality of background and skills.

While his personality is somewhat at odds with hers, I think they've likely been able to enjoy one another just fine.

Yulia
The more sisterly kind of affection would be returned in full force. While definitively not one for book-learning herself, Astera greatly appreciates anyone who has a knack for that kind of trade. She likely defers to Yulia on matters complex enough that Astera knows she can not understand, and positions herself as a bodyguard to the smaller woman. That protective spirit goes both ways, and she's open to Yulia's magical protection as Astera defends her physically. She would be fascinated by a different type of magic, as Astera's magic is more innate/less scholarly.

Moreover, Astera would be very comfortable playing with Yulia, and likely would have made that clear pretty early on.

Selah
Based on everything else, I think Selah might have been the one that Astera warmed up to the fastest. A fellow athlete with sharp eyes, a humble upbringing, what seems to be just a bit of a mischievous streak, I figure they bonded over all of that pretty quickly together. She would be fascinated by the kinds of things Selah is capable of, and would have happily sparred with her pretty early on.

And, speaking of getting physical, Astera would probably have come on to Selah before too long. If the monk were amenable to it, Astera would likely have made for the most common bedside companion, particularly if she's noticed Selah's more submissive tendencies.

Just to be clear, Yulia's complaining is entirely in jest, as all the rest would know by now--as they would know that they're welcome to a helping of what she's cooking up.

I like to play to tastes and I'm flexible -- I made Astera a little larger in another edit. Happy to keep her trimmer if that's what people want to play against, I've just had fun dicking around in GIMP.

Slim v. A Little Bulkier

Back
Top Bottom