Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Behind The Pines: Group Wanted (Monster of the Week RPG (Rulebooks Available))

Archmagos Issac

Sir Ser Issac of Clarke of Chad the II
xnWFxFT.jpg

"We do not own these woods.....they do"

Pineborne, Virginia
Population: 1,329

Welcome to Pineborne. A town smack dab in the middle of Jefferson National Forest that just one wouldn't know existed unless they were blessed (or cursed depending on your point of view) with being born there. Outsiders tend to end up here when they take a wrong turn off the main road. Many continue on their way and never turn back. Others become some of those unfortunate enough to get lost in the woods. Or that's what the residents say to help themselves sleep at night. No one wants to admit the truth.....well ALMOST no one.

Pineborne is home to the Hewitt family, a clan that is nearly as old as Pineborne itself and has a proud but shrouded history within these woods. The Hewitt family know the secrets of the forest. They know that Pineborne sits in a place where the veil of reality is thin. So thin in fact that something has been coming through for centuries. Some are harmless and go mostly unnoticed though are occasionally spotted by the odd hiker or driver. Some are simply territorial and cross the wrong person at the wrong time. Then there are some that mean to tear into this world. Creatures that are attracted to our world like a cloud of piranha to a child in a river. The Hewitt family ancestors swore an ancient oath that many still uphold today. They will stand at the threshold of the night and fight back those that would seek to destroy. They will stand and fight or die trying. Many Hewitt's take up the mantle of hunter, others simply turn their backs on it and pretend it's just a myth. A family story to thrill the kids. They close their eyes and pretend as though they don't know the truth. That the Wolfman doesn't roam the woods every full moon, that vampires don't tear people open like Christmas gifts, that creatures that don't even have names come streaming through to devour light where they find it. Like Elvis said though:

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away..."

What is 'Monster of the Week' and How do I play?

Monster of the Week is a narrative driven RPG that runs on the Powered by Apocalypse system. The best way to imagine it is to picture your favorite supernatural show or movie. Shows like X-Files, Fringe, Supernatural, or Buffy would all fit into these categories. It is a game that can't be played by charging in guns blazing. Like any hunt, you need to identify your monster, figure out it's weaknesses, then set up a location to kill the beast. You can try killing it outright but it won't end well.

To play the game, you will need to select a character playbook. This is your character class similar to D&D. Are you a witch/warlock? A conspiracy theorist? An expert? A just plain mundane? Hell, you could even use playbooks from other Powered by Apocalypse games like Urban Shadows with a few tweaks or create a playbook all your own!

It is also worth mentioning I don't roll dice at all unless playing a hunter. It's never "I gotta beat your 20" it's always "I am going to do something and I gotta roll to see how it goes".​

Last edited:
I could be interested. I've played Masks and wanted to try urban shadows but never got the chance so I have an idea on the system already, its a relatively simple one. I would want more info on the when, where, and how this is happening.

I could be interested. I've played Masks and wanted to try urban shadows but never got the chance so I have an idea on the system already, its a relatively simple one. I would want more info on the when, where, and how this is happening.

Of course of course! Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you may have

I'll go ahead and ask here, may be something others want to know as well. Where will the game be played? A thread, roll20, discord, etc? PbP or scheduled? If scheduled, voice or text?

Assuming there is enough interest (and everyone is cool with it) I would be more than happy to do a scheduled Roll20 with voice. If not we will simply do a thread and go PbP

Yeah I probably won't be able to do this then. I can't (and won't even if I could) do voice nor do I like threads, but I suppose I'll keep an eye anyway and see how much the plan sticks together. Dunno if you had others PMing you instead of responding here, but it might benefit to let people know that it's an easy system to pick up and generally loose/flexible with the rules.

I am interested in playing MotW as long as it’s on forum and we get more players. I have experience with Masks and that’s PbtA. I would want to play the Expert.

Back
Top Bottom