Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Mercenary's Prize ( Balmung x DigitalSiren)

Bunny

ʜᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴍɪɴᴇ.. ʜᴇ ᴅᴏᴇsɴᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇ ♥
Night slowly descended on the kingdom of Nerin, the gentle fingers of darkness descending on the sleepy sun. Oranges, pinks and pale purple gobbled up by blues and deeper purples and lastly the inky wash of night as the sun vanished below the horizon. Lyra watched as her sisters began to show themselves, slowly flickering to life. Time passed differently for Lyra, she had been held captive in Nerin since the first king had graced it's throne. King Marcus had followed a star as it streaked through the night sky it was said, finding a maiden of eighteen rather than the jewels he had expected from the gods in the smoking crater. Lyra did not know how she came to be, or fall but she had looked over the constellations since time immemorial. It was thought that she was a nymph, for a Goddess surely would allow no mortal to claim her.

A soft knock pulled Lyra from her own thoughts, turning as a voice sounded on the other side of the door. "The King awaits your presence." Eyes lingered on the sky a moment longer before heading to dress. In the time she had been on earth Lyra had changed.. When Marcus had found her she had glowed with a soft moon pale light, in the years of her captivity it had dimmed. That was not to say she looked mortal by any stretch, her skin was still luminous if not greatly dimmed. Glancing at herself in the silver mirror that hung her chambers.

Soft blue eyes stared back at her, veiled by startling dark lashes. They traced her face slowly taking it in. Her eyes were angled slightly upward, giving some to think her otherworldly. A gentle sloping nose lead to the graceful arches of her silver brows. Blue orbs flicked to the strong cheekbones before resting on her full lips. Everything in the mirror had a soft shine to it as she stood before it. In the soft flickering light of the hearth, her silver locks reflected colors that couldn't be found in the room. Purple, pale pinks, blues as well as the fire light. Her hair seemed almost alive in it's heavy fall, falling to her mid back. Sighing softly she turned away from the polished surface, fingers plucking a gown strewn across the plush surface of her bed.

The dress had been a gift from Marcus, if one could truly call the netted fabric of silver and diamonds a dress. The dress would not hide her body, but that had been the point. Though the shimmering 'fabric' the slender lines of her form could be seen from the generous swell of her breasts, rosy pale nipples only slightly obscured. The intake of her waist and the flare of her hips that lead to her pert rear. Nothing was hidden in truth as she moved, the mesh sliding along her skin. Finding the shoes that had been made for the outfit she slipped them on. The heels would add several inches to her height allowing the dress to just brush the stones as she walked. Silver and diamonds wrapped around her ankles and up her calves, holding the heels in place. A tiny thing, she now stood at five three.

King Arlo had informed her graciously that she would be a reward for a heroic deed, a satchel of her things had already been packed by the servants. Taking a slow deep breath she lifted a small hand and opened the door of her chamber. She could not remember anything beyond the walls of the castle. Her stomach danced as she slowly descended to the throne room. Excited and afraid in equal measures she took a moment to calm herself before nodding for the doors of the throne room to be opened. As they opened the music that had been heard dimly before washed over her.

Head held high she crossed between the court on either side, her heels sounding softly on the stone before sinking into a curtsy before the king and her new Master.
"My King" Her voice was soft and husky, her eyes flickered to the man who stood off to the side of the throne.

As the starry veil of night began to overtake Nerin’s sky, it was truly a breathtaking sight. Violet and rosy pink streaks began to contrast and swallow the sapphire sky and twinkling lights above cast a dim light, the silvery moon a full one that evening. It was certainly a sight to behold, and those in Nerin knew that a full moon often meant good tidings, and such was the case that night. The land had been besieged by a poisonous Wyvern, the beasts tail and fangs dripping with venom as it plucked livestock and people alike for its meals. While a lone beast, the fact that it could fly and strike from anywhere and any time inspired dread and fear in the populace, and the army was ill equipped to deal with a monster like it. The best they could do at times was drive it off whenever it lingered in an area, but even when driven off, a herd of sheep or a dozen cattle would be gone from another farm the next day, or a trading caravan attacked and demolished before the beast flew away once more.

It was clear they needed an expert hand, and to that end, they had called forth for heroes and adventurer’s alike to come to the Kingdoms aide and scour the wilderness for the beasts lair to slay it. A handsome reward unlike any other was offered to those who brought back proof of the beasts demise, though the specifics were never stated. Dozens of adventurers took the call to adventure, but for every dozen that came forth, only a handful returned – either menaced by the Wyvern and presumed dead, or perhaps taken by other dangers in Nerin’s woods, many of which lay forgotten or merely as rumor.

However, in the end, the attacks ceased one day, and the Wyvern wasn’t seen again… What was seen however, was a cart drawn by a horse, a man riding in it with a strange shape silhouetted by a tarp covering. Rather than cause a ruckus or let would be scalpers take his prize, the hero opted to keep the contents a secret until he was able to show the castle guards the tipped and scaled stinger-like tail of the beast itself. The man who had performed the deed was a young man by the name of Michael Cartwright, and to those who knew him, he was an expert monster slayer and lone adventurer, one who had made a living dealing with threats like these. When asked about how he felled the beast by the guards – he informed them it was ‘A secret only for the king to know’, and indeed, he would tell King Arlo the truth. He had painstakingly tracked the beast over the course of two weeks, and upon finding the lair, he had devised a trap with drug laced meat and a nearly felled tree to pin the beast or at least damage its wings. The battle afterwards was not a kind one to Michael, a few deep gouges in his armor and an injury he had tended to himself – but he had managed to avoid being poisoned, and slew the beast when it was recovering.

A man with slightly darker skin than most, his hazel eyes were almost amber in tone, a peculiar shade that stood as a stark contrast to dark hair. With his left arm bandaged and in something of a makeshift sling, he opted to meet with King arlo after getting washed up and getting a bit of rest. Afterall – there was no immediate rush, and as he needed a bit of time to recover, he felt it best he looked his best when meeting with Royalty.

That evening however, he began to enter the Palace once again, his eyes looking from art upon the wall, to the scenic overview of the nearby town that the Palace was built close to. It was clear the king had a love for his people, or at least a desire to keep them safe which in Michael’s mind, immediately made him a better king than most he’d heard of.

Once in the throne room, it was no surprise that the King was not alone, as guards were stationed within the throne room, and the King nodded to the man. “My Lord.” Michael spoke as he bowed deeply, showing the proper respect a lord deserved. “As you have no doubt seen and heard, the beast is slain. I admit, at some personal cost...” he spoke with a hint of humor as his eyes flicked down to his wrapped arm. “It will harm your lands no longer and your people are safe. I have fulfilled my part of the bargain.” A slight reminder that there was a deal to whoever slew the beast, and to that, the older looking king nodded.

Ser Cartwright, if I may call you that.” Michael was no noble or knight, but it was still a title of respect. “You have kept my people safe, and I will see to it you are rewarded with something you have never seen before.” As he spoke, the doors were soon opened, and a curiously dressed and looking woman was led into the room, the woman curtsying before him and then looking briefly to Michael.

She is Lyra. A Nymph that has served the family for generations. And as of today, she is yours to do with as you see fit.

Lyra had to admit she didn't like the term as you see fit. No one in her long years of captivity had ever touched her without her permission, or harmed her or well.. done much of anything. Slowly rising from her curtsy she took in the man who now owned her. He was handsome if not a little worse for wear at the moment, something she could help with. As if the king saw her eyes lingering on his arm he motioned her closer and gave a meaningful nod at Micheal. "Why not help your new master?" It was phrased as a suggestion, but Lyra knew it was less a request as a demand.

Her head bobbed in a soft nod, that unusual hair shifting in the light catching colors that seemed to be missing in the room. She had never liked being made to show off but, Lyra knew better than to anger the king. He was a fair man, but had a temper when defied. Lifting a pale hand she held it just above Micheal's arm, before gently laying it on the damaged appendage. "This, shouldn't hurt Master" Her voice soft as she continued. "It will feel warm and almost tickle a little"

For a moment, nothing would seem to happen and then slowly, Lyra began to glow. Different from her normal luminescence she seemed to flicker with light from the inside, like light from the moon trapped behind a pain of glass. Glittering outward her palm where it touched him seemed to draw the light to it. Warmth and a faint tickling as the wound was patched. Lyra lifted her face to his, pale blue eyes finding and holding his own amber ones. A soft smile curled on her lips as the sensation began to fade, the whole ordeal over but just a few moments.

Lyra let her hand fall away from his arm, the limb swinging back to her side gracefully. "You will likely have a scar, but otherwise, the wound should be healed." She took a few steps back and bowed her head to the king. King Arlo was beaming down at them from his throne. "A worthy prize, no?" His booming voiced held a trace of laughter.

Michael wasn’t one to really ‘own’ anyone. He knew indentured servants and even slaves were a thing, but neither held any appeal to him given his traveling lifestyle and a preference towards personal freedom. He did choose a dangerous profession as well, the last thing he wanted to be was ‘responsible’ for anyone. Yet to turn down such a gift even politely seemed like it could lead to nothing but disaster should he say ‘no’. So instead, he bowed his head again, and breathed out slowly. “Thank you, your grace.” He then added, his tone polite and respectful as he then turned to Lyra as she approached. He wasn’t sure what she could do but the king seemed sure she could help with his injury, and he knew healing magic was a thing - a rarity, but it certainly existed.

Okay.” he spoke back quietly to Lyra as she lifted her hand against his injured one, he wasn’t sure what she had planned, but the way her body soon glowed as if she held a star within her very core, It would have made him jump back had he not prepared himself for something unusual, but looking back into her eyes as she viewed into his was a strange sensation, he knew she was looking at him… But it almost felt to him as if she could look through him at the same time. And, as she did the dull and throbbing pain from his arm began to fade, and he breathed out a sigh of relief as the pain tapered off to nothingness.

Being a little bold, he soon sought to flex his arm – and to his delight the arm moved normally. No pain, no restricted movement from injured bones, nothing. “I… that is amazing. Thank you.” He didn’t know what to say, and for now, he remained there, this time bowing his head to Lyra.

As you can see, she is skilled in the art of magic. If you continue your … Profession, I am sure she will be of great help to you. For now however, you two are dismissed. No doubt you need some time to rest before leaving the palace, and to that end I have arranged a guest room for you.” He spoke to Michael, though his eyes flicked to Lyra. “I entrust you to take care of Lyra, no matter what happens – keep her safe.

She blushed delicately as he thanked her. She was used more to being an object. A valued object but something to be shown off, used. The bow of his head to her had a small smile forming on her lips. Lowering her eyes she listened to the King speak. She knew very little of what her new Master was meant to do for a living, though she knew he had slain the beast terrorizing the kingdom. Was that what he did? She watched him from under a veil of lacy lashes. Lyra didn't know much beyond the castle walls, having been held greedily within. He was not built how she might have imagined a monster killer would be, she thought of Marcus, and his robust form. He had been built like a small giant and it had doubtless been what helped him secure his kingdom in his younger years. Perhaps she was wrong in her thoughts or mayhap he was a skilled strategist.

Slowly lifting her head she spoke softly, "If you would follow me Master?" Their dismissal was quite clear and her role was known to her. Earlier in the day she had been shown to the guest room. She was to guide him to the room and then the rest had been left quite vague. Lyra knew what was expected.. She was his, that meant in every way. If he desired her, she was to submit. Something told her, that the common belief might not apply to her Master. He reminded her a little of Marcus. Marcus had been the true definition of a gentleman and and a King, she had learned. His prodigy had slowly failed to meet his standards over the years. They still cared for their kingdom and were fair rulers but their behavior out of the public eye was something of suspect.

Lyra curtsied to the King once more before leading her Master to the rooms that had been set aside for them. She kept her pace slow as she walked. While they ascended stairs and traveled down a long hallway, she wondered what her new life would entail. Opening the door to the suite she slipped inside. The room was well furnished. A handsome wooden four poster bed sat upon a small raised dais before an ornate fireplace, it's hearth already lit with a fire. The walls were lined with rich tapestries in deep reds and other strikingly bold colors. Other rich furniture was strewn about here and there filling the room without overwhelming the space. A single large stained glass window sat behind a bench filtering in the moonlight in purples and blues.

She closed the door quietly behind them and turned to face him. Lyra gazed at him, here she was a little less demure.. Her face less guarded as her pale blue eyes met his. Leaning against the door, she offered him a shy but warm smile and broke the silence that had stretched between them. "So, what now.. Master?" Her smile grew slightly and she tipped her head to one side, a rush of white hair swaying with the movement. In the soft glow of the room it was the white of her hair and teeth, the diamonds of her 'dress' that stood out in the darkness of the doorway in which she stood.

Once she began to lead him, her ‘master’ began to follow with a calm pace. He seemed okay with what was going on physically, but inwardly he was in a bit of a conflicted point. Having expected and hoping for gold or jewels or something of value that was easily portable, the fact that he was given a woman was a bit of a surprise. Still, he wouldn’t dare object to his reward to the kings face, and in the end he had no choice but to accept it. Bowing briefly but earnestly to the king as he began to leave, his eyes lingered on the lord before he turned his attention elsewhere, and soon enough he was in a long hallway, lined with various doors that undoubtedly led to guest rooms or perhaps servants quarters.

Once inside the room, he looked around it in quiet awe – it beat the hell out of an inn room or sleeping in the wilds, and the fact that the hearth was ablaze with fiery warmth was a godsend. The first thing he did once the door was closest, was steadily undo the sling his arm was in, flexing his arm after a second and starting to undo the bandages too. “Thank you. For healing my arm that is.” he spoke earnestly to the nymph, his fingers slowly curling into a fist to exercise the now healed arm before he slowly unclenched his hand. Slowly, his amber toned eyes turned to Lyra, and he seemed lost in thought. “Truth be told, this is not the gift I was expecting for slaying the beast. I apologize for any surprise on your end too, this seems to have been something of a shock for you too.” He wasn’t quite sure where to begin, but he moved to sit in a chair all the same, his arms stretching above his head as he relaxed. “I don’t intend to do anything uncouth with you, I should clarify that. I may be your ‘master’ but I certainly don’t intend to lay an unwelcome hand on you or anything similar. In fact, I’m pretty sure I may make a ‘poor’ master.” Soon enough though, he was looking to get comfortable. “Though I will say I’m not going to pass up the chance to sleep in a bed as comfy looking as that one there. Ought to be enough space for us to have our privacy though.” Giving a small smile, he figured the best thing to do was introduce himself properly in the end.

I’m Michael Cartwright. I guess I’m something of a monster slayer and problem solver in general. I wasn’t born in this kingdom but I’ve certainly done quite a bit of work here. Never for the king though.” There was another pause, and he shook his head. Maybe it was for the best if he let her introduce herself, but otherwise, he wasn’t too sure of what to say. “I’d like to know more about you, and, if you’ve any questions for me, I’m happy to let you know the kind of person I am.” There was a brief moment, and then he seemed to finally quiet down, happy to hear more about his charge and new companion.

Her smile lingered and she stepped into the room, her gown rustling softly. "You're welcome" She hadn't had much of a choice, but she hadn't minded much either. He after all, had done a great service for the kingdom. Chuckling softly she watched him move to a chair. "No, I suppose being given a woman isn't a normal prize for such a feat. Gold or jewels were more likely what you had in mind?" She lifted a single brow, her smile still soft. His words made her smile grow and she nodded some. It was a relief to know he didn't expect her to just spread her legs for him. "I was given the day to come to terms with it."

She gave him a small curtsy as he introduced himself. "I am Lyra" It was the only name she had. "What should I call you? Master, Micheal?" Moving through the room she picked up one of her bags and began to shift through it, pulling out a short gown of sorts. Like most of her clothing, it was a shade of see through. Not her own choice, but one she had allowed to happen. She had little choice in the matter. Stepping behind a screen, he would be able to hear the rustle of diamonds and of a silkier fabric. She emerged, dressed in a sheer white cloth, topped and edged in lace, though she had added a small pair of opaque white panties. Her slender form was on display and unlike most mortals she didn't seem bothered by it at all.

"I don't know much about before King Marcus found me, if I am honest." She curled into the chair opposite him, her slender legs tucked beneath her. "He found me in the Gretvista Wood, in a crater.." She smiled softly at the memory. "He brought me to live here, and here I have lived since." She shrugged some "I don't have much of a story really" Her life day in and out had been mostly uneventful over all. Days blending into months, into years and a century. "Tell me other things you have helped people with?" She snuggled back into the chair. It was nice to have someone just to talk to, it had been sometime since she had something like this. It was comforting.

The least he could do was show respect to the woman who had mended an arm that may well have been crippled for months if not longer otherwise. Supposing there were worse things to be rewarded with than a beautiful woman, he was still quite tactful when it came to speaking to her, let alone looking to her. She was beautiful in a way he’d never seen a woman be beautiful, and he almost felt a little bashful about staring at her – which felt somewhat silly in his mind as he was sure she must have been a little use to such by now. Still he bowed his head in equal manners as she curtseyed and even cracked a smile. “I admit I was expecting wealth, yes. However, that is not to say that I do not appreciate your company.

Company. What did that even mean in this situation? He had to wonder what she thought his intentions with her were. As far as he was concerned, he was taught manners by his mother and knew well enough to not try anything untowards with a woman, let alone one that could practice powerful magic at that. “Michael is fine. I may be your ‘master’, but, you are not my slave.” At least, he wouldn’t intend to see her as one. While she got redressed for the night, he simply moved to get out of his more bulky clothes, he wasn’t quite stripping to her length, but the smallclothes he had underneath what he was currently wearing were decent enough to sleep in. He had taken the time to make sure he was clean and bathed before meeting the king, so he was hardly wearing anything dirty. Trading out a heavier long sleeved shirt for a more comfortable and loose shirt beneath it, he then smiled to her when she came out from the private changing area, moving to sit back down himself once he had the chance to do so.

I’m something of a mercenary. I hunt monsters and bandits for coin and while I usually work alone, I do work with others too. I won’t lie and say I’m some heroic knight or valiant man… But I will say I have helped a lot of people and quite a few of them at rates that more callous men would balk at. I’ve felled monsters, though this Wyvern was one of the more dangerous ones I’ve fought. And I admit it was stupid of me to fight it alone.

Stupid, but the risk was calculated. “The last job I did before this I dealt with some bandits. Captured a few of them and the rest scattered off. I didn’t do that job alone though, I had some help.” With the crackling flames providing a soft, ambient sound in the room, he thought of another way to try and break the silence"It sounds like it might be your first time outside of the castle then, at least in some time. It may be a bit different for you."

She offered a small smile, as he admitted a expectation for wealth. "Sorry to disappoint" Her voice was soft, her smiling growing "But, perhaps I can help you obtain it. If nothing else, by keeping you alive long enough to amass it yourself, Michael" Curled into her chair, she listened as he spoke of what he did, how he did it. Biting the inside of her cheek she held back another smile. While he claimed that he wasn't a knight, or a valiant man. Yet, he claimed to help people. Sure, he charged a price, but from what she knew of the world, limited as it may be, that was how things worked. Very little was given for free. Lyra however didn't share her views, he seemed to believe what he said, why shake his opinion.

"You will not be alone any longer." She tilted her head to one side, that crystalline hair sweeping to one side in a silky rush. "Would my healing, allow you to take more dangerous jobs?" It would be safe, she assumed.. that such a thing would pay more. In a sense, earning her keep with him. "They'd pay more, yes?" Lyra was determined to not be a burden, while still owned, leaving the castle, kingdom with Micheal was her first breath of freedom since falling.

His question earned him a nod. "I have been held here, in this castle since shortly after King Marcus founded the kingdom. I haven't traveled much, unless the royal family has. Between castles mostly." She didn't say she'd been kept like an interesting bird, caged and unable to fly. She'd come to terms with it long a go, that this was just what her life was. How it would be. He was going to change that. Closing her eyes for a moment, she listened to the fire crackle and pop, before slowly opening them again. "I will try to not hold you back, as we travel." Her smile was soft and almost sad, for she knew no matter what, she'd likely slow his pace. "But please, don't cast me aside.. I will do my best to learn and make things easier." It was a real fear. She had no real ability to protect herself and if left, she'd have no choice but to find her way back to the gilded cage she'd been stuck for lifetimes now. Assuming, she could.

Lyra spoke with a quite sort of desperation. He'd take her with him now, there was little doubt. He could though, once free sell her.. Or abandon her. Neither appealing. So her only choice was to learn, quickly and provide what very few could, from what she understood. Healing, true honest to gods healing. No potions or spells. One touch, as he had learned and healed. "I don't want to be put back in a gilded cage" Her last words whisper soft, barely louder than the fire.

Hah. I think I’ve heard the phrase “not all riches are gold’ more times than I can count. Truly, this seems to be one of those times where it's true.” Though he didn’t meant to refer to her as a treasure as if she were an object, but he hoped she could understand where he was coming from. As far as he was concerned, he was just a merchant who was really, really good with a sword and knew it. “Still, I’m glad it seems we’ve both found something we seem to have been looking for. A traveling companion is nice… As is a source of healing. Having some magic to back me up would mean a lot as far as future work goes. And it’s not like I’d take all the reward. You certainly would have desires and things you’d enjoy. So you’ll get more than a fair share. It’s only right, yeah?” He asked, figuring even if she didn’t know how things worked outside the castle yet she would likely be a quick learned.

I can’t imagine being tied down in one place for my entire life… Or what I knew my life was so far.” As he spoke, his eyes flickered back to her, the sound of his voice stopping for a moment as she said she wouldn’t hold him back. “Don’t worry about that. And don’t worry about being cast aside, or sold, or… I don’t know, any horrible fate like that.” Again he smiled, his words getting a little more firm but not hostile or angry. Instead, he wanted her to be confident in what he was saying. “You’re not a possession to be traded off. At least, I don’t think you are.” Perhaps the king did, but he wasn’t some king sitting on a throne and ignoring the plights of others unless it impacted him personally. “So don’t worry about that.” Of course he had to wonder how comforting his words were in that moment, but for now? All he had to back them up was his conviction, so he hoped that was enough.

Before long he rose, heading towards the window of the room and looking out of it for a moment. With darkness having taken over the sky and at least a thousand twinkling lights in the sky alongside the pale moon, it provided a good distraction. “It’s getting a little late. Maybe it would do us both some good if we got some rest.” He added, soon shutting the window to keep the draft from getting too intense. “Tomorrow we have some things to pack and a world to see. I think that would suit your fancy, right?

His words did a lot to ease her fears, the panic that had been rising within her slowly easing. It wasn't like how it had come on, sudden and breath stealing. No the panic faded on a slow ebb as he spoke. Lyra was used to man saying one thing and doing another, either with her or with their own kind.. But she trusted Micheal. She couldn't have said why other than a gut feeling that helped put her at ease. A smile curled on her lips and she inclined her head to him. Not a possession , that alone made her feel better about the new situation she was finding herself in. He also seemed to shy away from the idea of owning her. In all her years, with any king they'd never worried the small detail of owning her. Like the pretty dress she'd worn just awhile ago. She had been no different, even with thoughts and feelings. Perhaps that was the way of a king. To possess and own. It wasn't like she'd had much chance to know normal men.

Drawn from her thoughts as he rose she watched him look up at the stars and the night sky. Her gaze followed his own and she smiled gently. She always felt more alive at night, under the twinkling stars. Like they were looking down on her, watching her journey. Rising from the chair she moved closer to he bed. Her head tilted to the side, the silky weight of her hair falling into her face. "The bed is big enough for two.." Moving around to the far side, she climbed into it, the warm comforters pulled up around her waist. She smiled and patted the blankets. "It would be silly to not share it" Laying back, her hair pooled around her face like a halo, her eyes on the canopy above them. "I honestly can't wait"

Rolling onto her side, her back to him she let her eyes drift closed and for awhile she was quiet before whispering into the darkness of the room. "Is it silly that I am a little afraid this is all some elaborate dream or hoax and when morning comes, the king will refuse to allow me to leave?" It was another fear, one unlikely to happen, but she couldn't help it. In the morning they would pack and leave.. Curling up she smiled. "Probably is.. Good night Micheal" She let out a small little sigh. "Sweet dreams."

Seeing her face grow from concern and unease to a gradually growing smile made it a lot easier for Michael to relax as well. He was certainly aware of what sort of transition this meant for the nymph, and he felt there was nothing wrong with being honest. Mercenaries could certainly have a reputation for chasing money or doing darker deeds in order to keep their coinpurses full but Michael was a bit more discerning even if that meant a more frugal lifestyle. Still, with the added help from Lyra, he knew he’d be able to take on more work as well. But right now, that didn’t matter nearly as much as a human connection between the two. “Well if you insist the bed is large enough for two, I suppose I cannot argue with that.” He wasn’t going to pass up a chance to sleep in a luxurious bed one last time either.

Once he was finished getting ready for bed it did not take him too long to head towards the bed and lie down on it, the covers soon pulled over himself to help get some rest. “I feel it’s a bit hard to assure you this isn’t a dream, but I’ve been told pinching yourself is a good way to discern that.” His words were slightly teasing rather than anything hostile, and as he closed his eyes he heard her speaking to him one last time. “Good night, Lyra. Sleep well and tomorrow we’ll prove this is the real thing.

The night passed by uneventfully and as the hours slowly wheeled around towards the rising of the sun and the morning hours, Michael woke as he oft did, rising up with a stretch of his arms and a slow, quiet yawn. It had felt like a longer night than it was, his body still a little tired but at the same time, he was eager to get back on the road once more. Looking back to his new companion, he wasn’t sure if it was best to wake her now or to let her rise on her own, but after giving it a momentary thought, he soon slid out of bed and began to get dressed for the day. They’d be on the road and he was certain the area around the castle would be safe enough from dangers so he eschewed armor for now, instead opting for more casual traveler’s wear. A longer sleeved shirt and a matching pair of pants in a darker color, perfect for staying warm.

And of course, when Lyra was awake, he hoped that she’d be as eager to get on the road as he was.

When the bed shifted when Michael woke, Lyra slept on... The night had been a restless one plagued with bad dreams, though she never showed outward signs as she slumbered. She didn't toss and turn or whimper in her sleep. It was the stress of the day, the fear that she'd not be really allowed to leave and that her freedom was indeed so close. She woke slowly, her world a groggy haze. Sitting up she rubbed at her eyes, her odd almost crystal like hair disheveled. Yawning, one delicate hand rose to her mouth and she closed her eyes with the exhale of sound before opening her eyes once more. The room wasn't her own and Lyra remembered the previous day.. Michael. Pale eyes flickered around the room before finding him. A smile curled on her lips, shy this morning. "Morning"

She couldn't help but notice his state of dress and her eyes drifted from him towards the window. A small frown worried between her brows. The sun was high in the sky. "Sorry, did I sleep too long?" Slipping from bed, she pulled the blankets on her side back into place before coming around the bed. Fingers running through her silky hair, smoothing the stray locks back into place. "I'll get dressed, quick as a bunny" Her voice was cheerful as she pulled out a dark bundle of clothing from her pack. She clearly couldn't go out in her pajamas and her dress from yesterday would likely draw the eye of unsavory types. Neither of them needed that. Stepping behind the screen she had changed behind the night before she pulled off her white pajamas and pulled on her traveling clothes.

When she stepped from behind the screen, she was dressed in deep blues, grays and blacks. Her coat was a deep midnight blue with long sleeves that bled into black. It was tight fitting but not obscene, as it clung to her slender waist before falling past her hips. Soft dove gray pants and thigh high black books with low soles. Gloved hands pulled her silvery hair up into a pony tail, the long tail of hair swaying behind her with each step she took. "So, I know we are leaving" she flashed him a smile. "But you never said where we would go first?" Packing her pajamas away, she pushed the dress that she'd worn the night before into the bag with little care for the garment that could easily buy a kingdom, albeit a small one.

In the midst of washing his face, he began to hear a movement from behind him on the bed, and a familiar voice calling out a morning. Drying his face off and turning around, Michael was dressed in clothes for travel. A darker olive toned tunic over a white shirt, the top showing a hint of his upper chest due to its slightly more open nature. With tan brown pants covering his legs and traveling boots on his feet, he was clearly ready to get going, yet he did not seem to be in any hurry. “Morning! You didn’t sleep long at all. I wanted to make sure you had a full nights rest before we started off on our journey. We’ll be heading to the small city of Caelfall, it’s on the frontier of this country and the west, usually there’s good work there for mercenaries this time of year. Bandits, beasts, caravan guarding, nothing too unusual but with your gifts maybe I can take on something a bit more dangerous and higher paying. It will take us about a week or so to get there, so it’s not very far, assuming the weather is fair and the roads are clear.” At least, a week never felt long to him.

Go ahead and get dressed, we’ll leave when you’re ready.” he had everything in order by now, and when she moved behind the modesty screen, he turned away to give her the further privacy that he felt was prudent. She may have been ‘his’ but he certainly had no interest in lording that over her nor did he desire to abuse any sort of ‘privilege’ he may have had. The last thing he really needed to do was attach his sheathed blade to his belt, and by the time he was fiddling with the straps and making sure it was comfortable, she was soon dressed in an outfit that seemed perfect for travel. Still he couldn’t help but admire her figure in it, the beautiful hues matching her own unique looks in a way that made it hard to tear his gaze away. Once he realized he might have been looking too long, he soon averted his gaze, thinking of a subject to discuss. “Fantastic. One last question before we go.” He spoke, moving to sling an absolutely stuffed looking backpack over his shoulders. “Ever ridden or handled a horse before? If not, we’re about to have a little crash course.” He said with a warm smile. “We’re off to the stables, it’s where I have Armand, my horse. Fantastic for getting to places, but...” He sighed a little as he opened the door to their room, heading out shortly afterwards as he began to make his way to the stables. “But he makes a poor conversationalist.

She offered a shy smile and a nod picking up her pack from the bed where she had placed it. They would be heading to Caelfall. She'd had never heard of it before, but that wasn't a shock when she never went further than the seasonal palaces. Lyra couldn't help but wonder what the trip would be like and without question she knew her thoughts about traveling as he likely did were romanticized. She pictured idyllic days and picturesque sunsets and calm peaceful nights. She knew realistically that what she pictured was not likely to be the reality, but it was hard to pull away from it. Drawn back to the here and now Lyra gave a shake of her head, the long tail of her unusual hair swaying and catching the light. "I have never ridden alone, no"

Remembering back she had always been behind or before the person she was with. She could keep seat well enough, but it wasn't her favorite thing. The ache of her legs wasn't something she was looking forward to... However she would take it for her freedom. As they walked together, she watched the people they passed, hearing the whispering in their wake. He didn't seem to mind though, at least he showed no signs of it. She didn't either. As they passed through the kitchens she nicked an apple for Armand, determined she and he would be the best of friends. Another two grabbed, one offered to him before she took a bite of her own. The crisp flesh was cool and sweet in her mouth. Careful small bites soon had the apple vanishing down to it's core.

The earthy smell of the stable welcomed them as they entered and horses of all breeds were neatly stabled. Following him to his own mount she ignored the heads that popped out, following them with sullen eyes as the apple they smelled was offered up on one small palm to Armand. "Hello handsome" her voice purred out in a loving tone to him, and she smiled as he snuffled at her hair once the treat had been devoured.

Well, no time like the present to learn. Not that I wouldn’t mind sharing a horse but I figure it might be a bit fun to learn to ride for yourself, right?” It was meant to be encouraging, so he hoped it came across that way – he wanted her to feel independent like any one else would. “I’ll let you take Armand and I can take another horse, the king probably won’t mind if I take a draft horse.” As a stable boy came to greet the two, Michael gave a nod to him and offered to help him get the horses set to ride. For now there was no true rush but every action Michael took was meant to move them that much further on – he loved the castle life but it certainly did not suit him and he figured that his new companion was likely tired of it and wished to see the world beyond.

Armand himself seemed a friendly enough horse, taking the offered apple and beginning to eat it. He was a handsome enough horse, spotted with white and brown markings, and an almost soulful gaze for a horse. With Michael and the stableboy getting a horse ready, Michael soon approached Armand, offering his hand out and stroking the horses mane before he began to saddle him up as well, the horse unbothered by it.

It was over quickly, and Michael gave a nod to Lyra. “Alright! Well, let’s be off then.” Offering to help her onto Armand, he seemed quite compliant with Michael as the man made sure Lyra would have no issues with staying on top, and after a second he quickly kipped on to the draft horse. “Best I can say is follow my lead and you’ll be comfortable with it before you know it!” With reigns in hand, he began to slowly lead his horse out of the stable, the horse trotting past Lyra and Armand as Michael mdae sure that Lyra could see how he handled the horse. Relaxed yet confident, and looking forward as he waited for her to make his way towards the gate of the castle.

The idea of having her own mount made her smile brightly at him, a nod offered with almost childlike glee. "I would really like that. I think.. I have the idea but I am sure it's not as easy as it seems" Her voice held that same sort of exuberance, his encouragement to be independent making her shine ever so softly. She watched as they moved about, saddling the horses, watching with careful eyes. Like she had said last night, she wanted to help.. And that could be as simple as helping him care for the horses.

Turning to look at Micheal as he turned to her she nodded and gratefully took his assistance to mount Armand. Settled into the leather of the saddle she hooked her feet into the stirrups and gather the reins in her hands. She was nervous, but she smiled at Micheal as he passed. "Okay, I will do my best" Though Armand seemed to know that she was unsure in her seat and easily followed his owner on the draft horse. Lyra used one hand after transferring the reins to one hand to pat his mane softly.

Straitening she watched Micheal with the same closeness that she had when he and the stable boy had been working with the horses to ready them. Micheal lead them out of the courtyard and through the small town that existed before the impressive stone walls that encircles the castle. Thought the gate and over the stone bridge, the sound of people, horses and other livestock filling the air in the early morning. After some time her eyes drifted from their study of him to the people milling around, going about their morning. People looked up as they passed, their eyes first on Micheal and then on herself. They seemed to linger on her and Lyra began to feel uneasy. She knew she didn't look like a normal human.. And not many had seen her, even if the stories had reached them.

Drawing her hood up, Lyra covered her hair which in the rising morning sun had been illuminated like a prism. Discomfort physically would be better that the curious stares. Shifted in the saddle she broke the silence between the two. "Tell me more about Caelfall?" She nudged Armand closet to Micheal so they could talk as they rode.

Seeing the excitement in her eyes caused him to smile more radiantly. There was always something pleasant about watching someone be eager to try something for the first time and while he wasn’t the best teacher at things, he knew well enough on how to ride a horse that this shouldn’t be a problem… Probably. The leather saddle was comfortable if a bit firm, and against the horse it provided ample seating to keep situated. Armand was a patient enough horse, snorting softly when she patted its mane and otherwise the steed seemed focused patient, or as patient as a horse can be.

Before long, Michael was kipping onto a horse for himself, a bit less confident than usual given this was a new horse and he wanted to make sure it was a good enough steed both for himself and Lyra, since he trusted Armand to be a gentle enough horse to ride. “I know you’ll do your best, so don’t worry. I’m here every step of the way.” He wanted to reassure her, so for now he was doing his best to do exactly that. Patient, confident, understanding it.

The road was a smooth and steady one ahead, and as the horses continued to trot, Michael kept close to Lyra. He could feel the stares on him now and then, but Lyra was certainly the type to attract attention and he felt… Guilty about that. There was the thought of hiding her features in a heavy cloak and hood, but even then he felt bad – should she not feel comfortable being herself instead of being hidden and coveted? He would keep her safe, but he could not keep others from gawking at the unusual sight. She eventually covered herself with a hood however, and for the most part others could not readily see her underneath it. The question about Caelfall was a breath of fresh air, and he was happy to discuss something rather than ruminate. “Well, it’s a pretty sizable town for where it is. It borders between this nation and the more… untamed wilds to the west.” he spoke calmly. “The nation here has been slowly expanding in and settling in that direction but it’s hard, lots of monsters and even less civilized peoples and races living beyond. The country does some trading with the more friendly people and have even opened the borders with them… But the more hostile ones act as raiders and thieves, I guess is the easiest way to put it. There’s both good and bad blood between both them and the people here. Of course, that means plenty of lucrative work if you can act as a guard or bounty hunter or even monster hunter. But it’s not work I’d do alone. Also, some of the best food I’ve ever had was during my time there so I’m looking forward to a good meal or two once we get there. In between us though...” As he kept talking, the people around them slowly thinned out the further they got from the castle and town around it. “Are a few towns and a lot of forest. But the woods are quite safe. It makes for a boring time when you’re a sellsword though.” Yet he did not sound that disappointed, he was always happy to have safety when it mattered.

A smile tugged at Lyra's mouth as they rode and as Micheal told her more about their destination. Wilds.. The word stirred images of dense, lush forests tangled with vines and fallen logs, paths forged by men nonexistent. Beasts lurking beneath shadowed boughs. The mental picture Lyra conjured wasn't terrifying to her, it seemed almost peaceful. At the mention of monsters and other less hospitable races sent her imagination spinning once again. She wondered what sort of fantastical beasts the people of Caelfall dealt with, what sort of peoples raided the town and their caravans of merchandise. Lyra's mind conjured up orcs, manticores, giants... She had no idea if the stories she'd read within the safety of the castle walls were real, but for a moment she hoped so.

As they left the first town, Lyra removed her hood and gave a small sigh of relief. Sweat had begun to to prickle at the back of her neck as the sun had risen higher int he sky and she was glad to rid herself of the hood. Shifting in the supple leather of the saddle she unhooked her cloak and drew it towards her front, carefully folding it. As she worked, she smiled again, eyes flickering to him. "I would think boring in your line of work would be a welcome reprieve" Her tone was light, playful and her smile grew at the edges she she tucked her cloak into a saddle bag. Straightening, Lyra tilted her head to one side, the long tail of crystal locks sending rainbows across her face as it caught the light. "What is your favorite thing to eat?" It had been one of the last things he'd mentioned and it seemed more than the work, what he looked forward to the most.

It had only been an hour a few at most as the sun had steadily climbed into the peerless blue sky above. Already Lyra could feel the starting of a burn along her thighs. Tonight.. And for the next few days, if not longer, she'd be in pain. Accepting is a price of her freedom, to be on the road, seeing a world she had only been able to read about. It seemed like a fair exchange. A cool, welcome breeze danced around the horses and their riders and Lyra let her eyes fall closed, chin lifted towards the sky as she enjoyed the afternoon and the breeze. "The sun seems to warm me down to my very bones.. It's pleasant" her voice lower and filled with an almost sweet innocence.

The smile that Lyra held was lovely enough that even a hardened man would had melted at the sight. She was a radiant woman, and even with the hood over her head her features were only hidden, not completely removed. But as she eventually unhooked the cloak once they had no need to worry about others, her companion gave a small shrug. “Boring can be good if you’ve a full coinpurse, but if you need the money, its dire times.” Though thankfully work by now was easily gotten, and likewise his more jesting tone was that of a man in high spirits. Looking back to her instead of the path they were taking, her vibrant hair reminded him of the aftermath of a storm, the colors blending together in the way it reflected the light. “Favorite thing to eat...” He trailed off, musing for a moment. Why were simple questions always the hardest ones for him? Putting a hand against his chin he looked back to the road, trying to think sincerely on the subject. “I guess standing rib roast. My mother use to make it every major holiday, and it was the best food she ever prepared.. Not that her cooking was bad, but she put her heart and soul into those meals. What about you?” he asked, turning the question back slightly.

Hearing her being warmed by the sun once again reminded him of her more sheltered life. “Enjoy it the best you can. No idea on if it may rain soon, but if it does, you’ll certainly wish for warm weather once again.” Though he could always be wrong, it seemed like she may even enjoy a thunderstorm given it would be a different sensation for her. The thought of such a cloistered life made him wonder, what would she truly want from this all? Maybe that was a question for later, to know her greatest desire. There was no real rush to ask about it now, and it felt a little too personal to him to ask. Slowly the day continued on, the sun rising higher in the sky before it began a steady and slow descent, the shadows around them slowly looming larger as the two traveled together.

"When it gets to be sunset, we'll look for a good place to camp and we can gather wood for a fire. Best we let the horses eat too, lest they get ornery." She did offer him one thing he was truly grateful for, the chance to talk to another and share his time with them seemed a rarity for him as of late, and he was biting his tongue a little to not inundate her with questions.

Her smile was shy at the memory he had of his mother and why the food he had told her was his favorite was so. She longed for such memories, the ones of family and belonging. She'd never had either. Never really apart of the royal family, never really having friends. Lyra had been an oddity in the castle. Perhaps.. Now she could have something more. Her eyes moved to Micheal. Maybe, they would become friends. Lyra hoped so, for he had a easy smile and he was the first human to treat her like.. a person. Her question turned back on her, she closed her eyes, face pensive. In her long years she'd eaten well, there was no doubt, but her mind was drawn back to one of the few times she'd been allowed out of castle. There had been a carnival of gypsies visiting, with them they had brought spice and curry. "A long time ago, I had a curry.. I don't recall the name, but I remember the warm spices of the east. Cinnamon and clove. The meat was tender and melted in your mouth and the potatoes were soaked in the sauce" She smiled shyly. "I only had it once, but to this day, I remember it"

Her smile grew, clearly the idea of rain was appealing. She caught his gaze and blushed softly. Nodding when he said the'd set up camp as the sun began to set. The next few hours passed with idle chatter. Often her asking him a question about the area or, much like a child might pointing out any time she saw an animal with glee. When the sun slowly began it's decent she followed him to where they would bed down. Nerves blossoming suddenly. She wanted to be able to help and not be a hindrance, though as she dismounted Armand she gave a soft little whimper, her legs buckling. She did not cling to his saddle but staggered to a near by tree, her back pressed against the rough bark.

"I will gather wood for a fire, as soon as I think I can walk" Her smile timid as she rubbed her legs. She knew the following days would be worse, but she was strong enough to do this. In time, her thighs would not burn or feel raw from days in the saddle. After a few moments she moved to star gathering dried branches. She knew enough to know the green ones would not make good kindling. As she hobbled slightly from branch to branch she hummed softly a song long since out of fashion.

Curry? “I don’t think I’ve heard of Curry before. It must be an exotic dish.” The name was something he’d have to remember, he doubted he’d be able to cook it but perhaps they could find a place that made it for her, it may well prove to be a nice treat for the nymph, or failing that he could always try to find out how it was made and try to replicate it, even if he failed it would be the thought that counted, right? A finger tapped against his chin as he was lost in thought, doing his best to make sure it was a name he wouldn’t forget. “It sounds delicious though. “

Once they were able to get off the horse, he noticed the way she buckled her knees and soon came to rest against a tree, recalling the first few times he had rode a horse as well, it took time to get use to and it definitely left him with sore legs and rear. Trying not to smile too hard at the memory he recalled, he then gave a more firm nod to her saying she’d gather wood. “I’ll help. I might be able to find us a good log or two for something more concrete.” They wouldn’t need a heavy fire, but one to keep beasts at bay and provide some warmth was a good idea. Though the moment she began to sing he lingered mid movement, listening to her singing voice. It was lyrical and beautiful and nearly magical in tenor, it was enough to almost make him forget what he was doing in the first place with a near hypnotic rhyme to it. It actually took him a moment of trying to focus on what he was doing before until he could kneel down and heft up a heavy, broken branch and began to carry it over to their budding fire pit.

Some time later they’d have the fire crackling and burning, the wood having caught flame the moment he used a bit of flint and tinder for it. “I have to ask...” he looked to her, his eyes softer for a moment. “Where did you learn that song? The one you were singing when you gathered firewood. I haven’t heard it before, and I’ve heard plenty of hymns. It was enchanting.” It was a gentle but earnest compliment, and he leaned back against a nearby tree, feeling the aches and pains of travel getting to him for the day. “I’ll keep first watch so you can get some rest. After that I’ll wake you up and you can keep watch till dawn, we’ll break camp and keep on. We’re making excellent progress.

Lyra was appreciative that Michael didn't comment on the effects of the day riding, and busied himself in helping as well. After a few moments she felt well enough to do the task she'd offered and a short while later she had an armful of sticks and twigs. As their evening progressed, she offered to help with the things she felt wouldn't cause an issue if she messed up and before she knew it she was sitting on a soft bit of ground she looked up and blushed softly. "It's an old song, I don't remember when I heard it first, but it stuck with me all the years. A lady of the court taught me it, I do remember that. Her name was Liliana. She was beautiful and kind" Tilting her head she offered him a smile, the corners of her lips curling. "Do you know any songs?"

When he offered for her to sleep first she nodded and stretched out near the fire, the light playing along her features as she watched the flames flicker and dance. "If things continue to be this smooth, when do you expect us to reach Caelfal?" Her tone was drowsy, despite a day of nothing but sitting; albeit in a saddle under the warmth of the sun. It had taken it's toll and it wasn't long until she fell asleep. Lyra slept peacefully as the moon rose in the sky and shone down on their sleepy little clearing. Beams of it's pale light filtering between the trees.

Truly where he'd picked to bed down was a love spot and the world seemed to welcome them. A soft cooling breeze and sweet chirps of crickets, thrumming their legs together as they sang the lullaby of the night. Lyra would sleep until woken, soft breathing and even within her dreamless sleep. As the moon rose higher, it played with the crystalline strands of her hair, a rainbow of color sparkling about the clearing, dancing along the trees, rocks, horses and Michael

I see, well I’d count myself lucky if I was taught a hymn like that. Aha, as for songs… I know a few. I’m not sure if I’m the kind who can give them a proper performance though.” He loved to sing… When he had some drink in him for courage. But otherwise from the flush on his face as she asked to the way he slightly averted his gaze, his normally confident demeanor faltered for a moment when it came to the art of music. Her followup question about Caelfall was a welcome relief, and the moment she gave him an out he was quick to follow up on that one.

I’m pretty bad at guessing exact times, but we may even reach it by tomorrow evening if we’re swift enough. Not abusing the horses or anything like that, but a swift ride should see us there before sunset.” As he spoke, he poked at the fire with a stick to keep it smoldering on fresh wood. “Good night, Lyra.” He spoke to her as she slept, and for now he had little but his thoughts and flickers of flames to keep him company. Standing up just to shake any sleepiness out of him, it wasn’t long before he gave the camp a few idle circles in his pacing, not straying very far as he wanted to remain in sight of the fire. As the night continued and the sun rose higher however, he could not help but look to the Nymph as the pale, sparkling light cast a second light across the clearing and the woods around it. A veritable rainbow, and the mere sight of it caught the mercenary off guard. “Ah...” Soon coming to rest against a tree, he felt as if he were watching living art, though he knew it was probably more than just impolite to stare for too long, he stole glances of the way the light shimmered in her hair, only remembering to wake her up at the end of his shift, the moon on its descent back to the other side of the world.

Eventually however, he caught himself and moved to kneel down, nudging the Nymph awake. “Hey, time for you to keep watch when you’re awake, when the dawn rises, rouse me and we’ll be on our way within the hour.” He spoke gently, his tone kind.

The darkness welcomed her as her eyes opened from the nudge. Slowly his face swam into her focus and she smiled, sleepily nodding. "Okay" Pushing herself from the floor Lyra rubbed at her eyes with one hand, shifting to a sitting position. Yawning she moved another few sticks to the fire and tipped her face upwards to the moonlight. Inhaling deeply she smiled to him shyly. "I promise to not fall back asleep" He'd allowed her to get a fair bit of sleep and if she had to guess, he likely allowed her to sleep longer than she should have in order to share the duty evenly with her.

For the most part, she tried to emulate what she'd seen him do previously. Raising she moved to a tree within the orange glow of the fire and rested her back against it. Leaning back against the back she sighed softly. What did one do to pass the time? He he not needed sleep, she might have tried talking and rather than question she let her mind wander. Being under the night sky with not another living soul near by other than Micheal. No king, no court... Freedom. She breathed in deeply, smelling the sweet scent of grass and other vegetation on the night air. Humming softly under her breath, Lyra's eyes drifting to his form. Micheal wasn't like any man she'd ever met, he was handsome, but that wasn't really what set him apart. He was kind, the smile and gentle flush that had graced his cheeks when questioned about singing... They didn't know each other well, true, but she was eager to learn just as much about him as she was the wide world she'd yet to see.

The time passed quicker than she thought it might, lost in her own thoughts and the beauty of the night. The sun slowly began to rise, blushing the world in pinks and golds as it climbed. Rising from her post she gently shook him awake "Morning" before starting the process of gathering the few things they'd used for their stay within the clearing. Her roll tucked away on Armand and the fire put out with dirt, smothering the flames. Lyra did miss some creature comforts, that was to be sure. The softness of a bed or the bath she would have been looking forward to.

Back
Top Bottom