Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Common Misspellings

Sonora

Moon
This is a bit random, but how do you react to spelling errors, and are there any that particularly bug you (if any)?

Personally, I find any more than one or two in a message quite off-putting, as I (rightly or wrongly) associate correct spelling with good writing. I realise that typos happen, so I'm not draconian about the whole thing, but there's a line between mistake and carelessness. There are also a couple of spelling errors that I know are not typos, and they can really bug me.

Example: using dominate as an adjective; he was a dominate man.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. 😆

In quoting your post, I also notice that you justify everything. :heart:

I also really don't like it when people don't punctuate properly, especially when using quotes. Sentences need to end in punctuation, and unless it's an exclamation point or a question mark, it should be a comma, not a period.
I quoted just to say that this is not always true, as you can have stand-alone dialogue. In general, though, I share your feelings on punctuation. The poor old comma is so misunderstood it breaks my heart.

"An example," she said, referring back to sentences bookended by quotation marks, "would be this."

"Are you sure?" asked another.

"Completely."

"I suppose it does make conversations flow more quickly when you don't follow each line of dialogue with 'they said.'"

"Now you're getting it," she grinned, and climbed aboard the great cosmic eagle that would bring her to Nerdtopia 9. "Onward!"

If only I was so great at wooing through semantics.

I'm a pretty mediocre typist, but I like to think I do pretty well at avoiding basic bad moves and at least keeping my spelling legible even if my syntax quickly falls off a cliff.

Certain errors do shoot me down instantly. "Cannon" when someone means 'canon'? Typically means I'm clicking out on the spot. 'Dominate' used per the OP is completely wrong and bugs me. Your/you're and the like tend to accompany a writing level I avoid, similar to 'dominate' and other common errors you can find with a low literacy/proofreading level. I'm not terribly concerned about people's grammar in quotations, even if I do have a pretty quick cutoff point for errors. I'd be a hypocrite if I was too picky, especially with commas.

Occasional errors don't throw me off for too long. It's usually consistency errors in posts that get to me. When it's a trend of bad typing though, I really need the content to go above and beyond in keeping me interested, because a lack of so much as a pass to make things legible does burn me to the point where I'd peace out of a play.

Writing is my living, but I'm actually not a very accurate typist these days (back when I used a manual typewriter I was a demon, though), and I'm also quite a poor proof reader, especially when I'm writing stuff that is... ahem, exciting, and so I often find typos in my replies - the lack of ability to edit PMs after a couple of hours really bugs me. So I'm generally pretty tolerant of others' mistakes - I recognise we all do this for fun and it's not like it's being edited for publication. I'm used to editing bad copy (especially from writers whose first language is not English), and it needs to get quite bad before I find it distracting or offputting. But... I still can't help that there are a few systematic errors that do make my teeth clench; and as with Sonora, using 'dominate' instead of 'dominant' is a prime one. As a former historian, so is 'midevil' instead of 'medieval'. There are probably a few others, but they were the first to leap immediately to mind.

I came in to lament about dominate characters... but you hit it.

I'm forgiving, especially when my partner is typing 6 paragraphs on their phone. I've never had a partner that was outright careless.

I'm inclined to wait for a partner to write those 6 paragraphs using a good keyboard than have them reduce quality and go through more trouble doing the same on mobile.

I'm inclined to wait for a partner to write those 6 paragraphs using a good keyboard than have them reduce quality and go through more trouble doing the same on mobile.
Frequency of notifications keeps my head out of the noose at my soul-crushing job.

I tend to be a bit lax on misspellings as a fair few RP partners i've had are ESL, and they can sometimes make mistakes - which is totally fine. But I loathe seeing 'The' misspelled as 'teh'. I have a friend who does this intentionally and i want to hit him in the face.

I continuously misspell accommodate as a word and it infuriates me to no end.

I tend to be a bit lax on misspellings as a fair few RP partners i've had are ESL, and they can sometimes make mistakes - which is totally fine. But I loathe seeing 'The' misspelled as 'teh'. I have a friend who does this intentionally and i want to hit him in the face.

I continuously misspell accommodate as a word and it infuriates me to no end.
"Definitely" is one of my worst. I also tend to write 'the' as 'hte' as compared to 'teh'. Among my (rather frequent) errors though, there's very few that show up, and the only reason they would is because I am not using spellcheck. It's kind of a standard these days and makes me look far more literate than I am.

Not claiming to be the best typist here, but some errors do annoy me. I’m learning to overlook them for the right content though but yes, they do have me clenching my teeth for a moment.

Than/then
Should have/should of
Affect/effect
Your/you’re
Things like that. I write on my phone a lot and I can thank autocorrect for my ridiculous errors but I do try to limit them. 🤷🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️

Not claiming to be the best typist here, but some errors do annoy me. I’m learning to overlook them for the right content though but yes, they do have me clenching my teeth for a moment.

Than/then
Should have/should of
Affect/effect
Your/you’re
Things like that. I write on my phone a lot and I can thank autocorrect for my ridiculous errors but I do try to limit them. 🤷🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️
I have to actually check my posts a lot because of the than/then, or the affect/effect because I so often forget I have to go back, read, and make sure I have the correct one. 😂 😂

I'm just here to commiserate regarding the pervasive "dominate vs dominant" issue.

Keep subbing and carry on.

I find it super funny when I see someone looking for "Dominate Man". I picture a superhero. Big letter D on his chest. Going around. Dominating that which is submissive, I guess?

I think dominate man might be given a pass in some scenarios. To me, that suggests a non-native English-speaker, though I admit a dominant superhero revolving around his dominance is an amusing concept to behold.

Back
Top Bottom