Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Comic Books turned into movies

Crazyhorse

Super-Earth
Previously I believed that super hero movies or tv programs that did not reflect the actual comic book stories lacked depth and accuracy.
However, recently, as Marvel and D.C. have come out with great movies, I believe that films are another - comic book genre per se.
No longer do they have to be 100% a reflection of any individual comic book story. What do you think?

Hmm I think there's an arguement to be made that the films don't have to be accurate since in fairness to them they haven't got the time to go over the nitty gritty details but with TV Shows I disagree I think they do have the time and should be faithful to the comics. So I feel you're right but I just wanted to say TV programmes that do no reflect the source material haven't got an excuse to hide behind. Movies lack the time needed but TV programmes have got the time on their side.

While it is nice to have accuracy to the original story upon which an adaptation is based, it's probably not going to turn out the way anybody would want to have it be a carbon-copy of how the novel (graphic or general) and so having some deviation to the source material is a necessity to keep viewers engaged since they won't automatically know in advance how things will go, but there are a great deal of moments from the pages of the source material that are a must to have in or the true emotional impact and spirit will be lost (for instance, in Captain America: Civil War, the shot of Cap and Iron Man clashing with the shield and blasting hands was straight out of the original Civil War story arc form the comics but the movie deviated significantly from it without losing the spirit). Because comic books are normally so multifaceted in that there are many different universes and continuities, it's a bit more expected and easier for them to deviate from (or combine) the original stories than a novel adaptation since those are pretty much only a single version of themselves.

I think the joker proved your point. It really wasn’t a comic book movie per say. It was a familiar character though. It really opens up a new world to be explored. It can go in any direction really, like a comic book all it’s own despite what you expect to see. I think Gotham was another good example of a TV based off comics but felt like it’s own thing.

Hi dreamer,

I D.C. is a great one for placing "new" or different plots to characters' origin stories. I mean they must have created over 10 different versions of Batman's origin and each one inspires the character in a different way. I mean look at - the Flash Point Paradox. How did you like the Joker?

Hi dreamer,

I D.C. is a great one for placing "new" or different plots to characters' origin stories. I mean they must have created over 10 different versions of Batman's origin and each one inspires the character in a different way. I mean look at - the Flash Point Paradox. How did you like the Joker?

Live action or animated, I thought the Flashpoint Paradox was one of the best movies they ever made and I desperately wish they'd give that one a live-action treatment. If I could have my cake and eat it too, I'd have Kevin Smith direct it because I know he'd do it right.

I think...they will be using it for a "real" movie version.
By the way...did you watch the suicide squad movie - post flashpoint?

I've seen ALL the DC Animated Movie Universe films. I wish they were more straight with their continuity and timeline, though. They say Justice League War was supposedly the first one but they had all already met in that one, including Aquaman, which makes Flashpoint not make sense because the whole League AND Aquaman are already acquainted despite the main League not even meeting each other for the first time until War, and then Throne of Atlantis after that where we meet Aquaman. I get that it may have been intended to be one that took place after the other two timeline-wise but since it was released first, it's a little annoying having them out of sequence. When I organized my DVDs, I put Flashpoint AFTER JL: War and JL: Throne of Atlantis because otherwise it makes no sense.

Hi dreamer,

I thought the Joker was very well done. I actually prefer that they steered clear of an actual Joker origin story in the traditional sense. The fact that the original joker has no real origin story has always lended to his chaotic nature in my opinion.

Love your avatar by the way.

Hello Dreamer,

That's a really interesting presentation in regards to the joker's origin story.
The hint, I believe is that he was somehow a rebel, and I think through his eyes, the viewer should see him as an anti hero.
I don't think he can be an anti hero in our reality per se, however, he may be able to fit the role of a victim, criminal and villian
all at one time. Potentially, that would be logical point of the movie.

Thank you for the compliment on the avatar.
The full on lingerie outfit is always a winner....no?

Definitely a winner in my book, the crawl makes it better though.

I’ve always been a fan of the antihero. I remember in school we read Beawulf and then Grendel. I found I liked the story through the monster’s point of view better.

I’m not too familiar with him, but reading his background he definitely sounds like my kind of character. Would be fun to work up a rp against him. He’s basically Bad but with good mixed in.

He's a gargoyle I think.
In church mythos I believe they guard churches from evil demons.
Your character fights demons?

She would probably not want to fight him. More of the try to turn him more good than evil while developing some sort of attraction.

And what happens when has a demonic outburst and just goes after her, fulfilling any desire he might seek?

I'm shocked by just how many comic books and books have been turned into TV shows and movies. I never knew Jaws was a book that became a movie until finding out last year. One of the women in the movie was way more sexual in the book.

Birds of Prey was pretty good but one of the characters in it is unrecognizable as the comic counterpart. It’s a little annoying when they do that when they could just find another character of less significance or make one up so they don’t have to do that to them in the films and waste their potential.

Mathim, which character most annoyed you in regards to how they were presented in the movie?

Mathim, which character most annoyed you in regards to how they were presented in the movie?
The Cassandra Cain character. She’s the daughter of two high profile assassins in the comics and is trained throughout her youth in martial arts to such a degree she never even learns to read but becomes one of the women to take on the mantle of Batgirl. The street smart pickpocket they present her as in the movie, while delightful in her own right, is not that character. If she’d just been someone invented solely for the film, that would have been just as well. Poaching the name the way they did just doesn’t make sense and was unnecessary in my opinion.

got it. I am not a dc reader so i was not aware that she had an action role in comics. thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom