Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Visual Novel World - Taboo Teachings

Ahlanna

Star
Welcome to Jiinagi Academy, the finest educational institution in Ouni Prefecture!

Thanks to our rigorous coursework, our beloved students are well trained for the various challenges life throws at them, from programming, to philosophy to demonic invasion. Experience the wealth of cultural and social experiences Jiinagi offers, from drama club to swim team to mind control. Mingle with your fellow classmates, learn tolerance, love and understanding of different points of view, such as those espoused by a debauched cult under the watchful, yet benevolent, eye of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council (tm).

Third-year students can look forward to instruction from the following well qualified professionals and mentors:
Act now, space is limited, and spots are filling fast with quality students like these (and yes, that really is teen sensation Igara! Jiinagi prepares you for success, whatever your career choice):

Visual Novel World is a game system developed by steelsmiter. I'd describe it as a hybrid-narrative system, with simpler mechanics than a d20-based game. In this system, you tend to make one abstract roll to determine success/failure ("roll Sports to climb out of the pit") instead of a bunch of rolls with highly detailed modifiers ("so that's a -2 for the slickness of the rope, with a +1 bonus thanks to your teammate's success at tying it off at the top. Though you're still a little dazed from your fall into the pit, so -2 from that. Because you have infravision, I don't need to apply the low light penalty. Though I will need checks for every 10' of the climb so we can determine how much damage you take if you fall")

Because this system is designed to replicate a Visual Novel, your character can't really die. Defeated, bound and corrupted by the forces of darkness, maybe, but even that's not common. Most challenges are about lighter things, like getting that hot stud or babe to notice you, struggling your way to a passing grade on a pop quiz, catfighting with a rival, or winning a hurdles race. When you do get damaged, healing and recovery takes place through acts of affection. Or, if you're boring, you can visit a doctor or do bed rest or something.

In this system, you make your character with three stereotypical visual novel archetypes, from journalist to tsundere to accidental pervert. Many other archetypes can be found in the system PDF available here - that link includes the main book and an expansion, though much of the expansion material may not be relevant to this roleplay.

This roleplay can run with as few as one PC, and we've already got one lined up, so this RP is guaranteed to run! Familiarity with the rules is not required (this is a playtest game, so we're all learning) and knowledge of the setting is even less important (since I mostly made it up myself).

Jiinagi Academy is in a small surburb-of-a-suburb called Oseigi Falls, nestled at the base of Mt. Klimaka.
Jobs in Oseigi Falls are dominated by the Sokoru Hightech Electronics (S.H.E.) factory, which has been responsible for an economic boom in the area. Traditionally the city mostly got by on tourism from its renowned onsen hot springs resort in the north, and waterfall in the south. Port Oseigi was a sleepy complex that mostly shipped grain and wine from the rural areas to the south, until S.H.E. came along. With increased development has come increased amenities, which has made the city more attractive to business. One new addition is a branch office of Sky Helix Corporation, a bio-agricultural conglomerate.

Hanako checkin' in, indicating interest in this interest check. That's a lot of interests and checks... I'm looking to play a fairly boyish, somewhat silly character with a... Kansai dialect? I'm not sure that's the right word for it, but wikipedia says there's a lot of contractions, and that fits the image of "Japanese equivalent to the American South" I'm goin' for if you catch my meanin'. of course I might not always contract everything, and I'll certainly cut it out if it's too distracting... just remember that's kind of what I'm going for if you play.

And I'm here too, with Yoshiro Watanabe!

Nerdy occult wealthy dude....loved by the masses! Hated by the jocks, and possibly falling for his magic teacher?
You gave me an idea. When I originally wrote Hanako, we hadn't established negative bonds. Since you took them, I'll need to know whether I just get the 4 for negative bonds, or if the one that was originally forced will still be forced.

Is this just core Visual Novel World or will you be including Adventure mode Add on?

That's a good question. I don't think either of us current players used AME but T did bat the idea around. We were told that we can stumble into magic with the moves explained for it in Core, and that it's a game where death is not a thing, so some of the more lethal options are probably out even if AME is allowed.

Well don’t I feel silly now lol. I’ll have to take a read through the game info to see about putting a character together :)

That's a good question. I don't think either of us current players used AME but T did bat the idea around. We were told that we can stumble into magic with the moves explained for it in Core, and that it's a game where death is not a thing, so some of the more lethal options are probably out even if AME is allowed.

In that case I'll play large breasted clutz out to bother SENPAI! Who is Senpai?

Fine I'll be the small breasted, yet highly skilled girl going after Senpai. Who is Senpai?

We haven't discussed whether there was a collective senpai. When we started this interest thread, my senpai was going to be my family. That's subject to change in my opinion, along with whether we get collective senpais. I am not running the game, so I can't say for sure.

My go to understanding is that the characters mentioned in the first post are eligible, but I can't guarantee that's factual.

There are some components of the Adventure mode in the game, mainly around magic and the totally-not-an-evil-cult. The academy will actually be offering "Introduction to Aetheral Manipulation" and "Glamours and Mystique" courses this term.

It's not really intended to have combat encounters and such, but some of the characters do have archetypes from the adventure content.

Male and female characters are welcome. We'll work together to figure a Senpai out for your characters. Many of the NPCs will have the player characters as Senpai for them also. On top of that there's this cult thing competing for the NPCs ... though I don't intend to stop PCs from sympathizing with or even joining the cult if they like (or if they roll real bad on their resistance ;) ).

I've got an updated map of Oseigi Falls:

Red are major elements of the town, yellow are services and entertainment options your characters might avail themselves of, green are residential and blue are places directly relevant to a PC.

There's a Discord for the system to be found here. The actual RP will take place here on BMR.

This does look like fun. Cookoolander archetype is amusing :)

So we are all basically VN protagonists and having adventures at the school, including finding love, relationships, fighting an evil cult, and more?

Yes, that's the gist of it! I've tried to put together a good selection of NPCs, but you also have the other PCs to either team with - or be rivals to. But in general, the cult are the real threat (unless you decide to help them, heh) and they don't want to hurt your characters, they want to indoctrinate them.

I think I will be using idol with something else. Kind of do like the idea of combining yandere with Idol. It seems like an interesting combination to go with. And looking forward to seeing who her objects of affection can be so I can pick the one for her to latch onto with the traditional yandere obsessiveness! ;)

Some of the archetypes, yes - Shinobi for example is more or less fully functional; Assassin is functional, but killing people isn't a major thrust of the game; some of the magic using ones can make sense, too.

Back
Top Bottom