Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Need Some Help "Balancing" My Character

47Haven

Tomboy Enthusiast
Here's the character sheet, along with the world's details

I always tries to make my character fallible, but i always ends up with the feeling that i've created an overpowered/Mary Sue character.

In most of your cases, how would you add weakness to your character in order to balance out their power level, specifically in an action based RP. Usually in slice-of-life kind of settings, it's easier to add negative personality to your character to make them less Mary Sue, but in an action based RP, where power actually matters, how would you 'reduce' their power level?

Thanks in advance!

IMO, Characters portrayed in the modern or real world do not need to be considered for balancing. On the account that a bullet to the head will kill them, that's enough of a weakness to consider as far as strength. But that's strength, and a Mary Sue isn't just all about strength.

Watch This. Ignore the title, it is extremely helpful regardless of politics.

That isn't to say that a Mary Sue can't exist in the normal ol' world. Think of Barbie, the person who is a Doctor, police officer, marine, barber, hair dresser, that's an example of a MS because they do everything, and they're the best at everything. Not because they can defeat the world in Mortal Kombat but because of their capabilities. How can I make this concept entertaining to RP though? How about a 1 million year old Oni that has learned everything, has done everything, and is depressed to the point of wanting to commit suicide; yet can't because they can't actually die like normal people do. The focus wouldn't be about how they can solve everything, it would be about what they can't solve and how they deal with it. This is a plot focused example, rather than an example that focuses entirely on the character.

Overall,your character has no real concern to be labeled as a Mary Sue. However, the way that you RP them might say otherwise; I don't know how you RP.

IMO, Characters portrayed in the modern or real world do not need to be considered for balancing. On the account that a bullet to the head will kill them, that's enough of a weakness to consider as far as strength. But that's strength, and a Mary Sue isn't just all about strength.

Watch This. Ignore the title, it is extremely helpful regardless of politics.

That isn't to say that a Mary Sue can't exist in the normal ol' world. Think of Barbie, the person who is a Doctor, police officer, marine, barber, hair dresser, that's an example of a MS because they do everything, and they're the best at everything. Not because they can defeat the world in Mortal Kombat but because of their capabilities. How can I make this concept entertaining to RP though? How about a 1 million year old Oni that has learned everything, has done everything, and is depressed to the point of wanting to commit suicide; yet can't because they can't actually die like normal people do. The focus wouldn't be about how they can solve everything, it would be about what they can't solve and how they deal with it. This is a plot focused example, rather than an example that focuses entirely on the character.

Overall,your character has no real concern to be labeled as a Mary Sue. However, the way that you RP them might say otherwise; I don't know how you RP.

Oooh! I've watched Literature Devil's videos. His takes is actually quite helpful in teaching me how to write a meaningful characters as well.

Regarding that situation, while it would be an interesting topic, wouldn't it still be better if you stated beforehand the things that they haven't known yet? I feel that rather than just relying on the plot, wouldn't you also be able to add some details to their personality, something along that they detest a thing with their whole fiber of beings, and the story would be about them accepting that thing?

One Punch Man comes into mind, since the whole manga is centered around the idea that he is totally OP. It is quite telling that the majority of the manga is not centered around the One Punch Man himself, but about the other characters.

By way of RPing, what would you consider something that's pushing the MS boundary? Godmodding and making the character have all the luck in the world is one thing, but what else would be too far in your opinion?

Apologies friendo, your dialect is rather confusing on the first bit so I'll have to skip that. Though I would say in my opinion, bypassing an obstacle for instant gratification and achieving something in the underlying plot with ease, that is something I would consider to be of Mary Sue status. But it's difficult because a person from another universe that comes to that universe might be beyond the aforementioned level of Mary Sue. So because the plot has suddenly changed, the alien isn't necessarily a Mary Sue; they're just OP. Being OP doesn't really mean that they're a Mary Sue.

How the character is perceived has a lot to do with Mary Sue Status, which is why One Punch Man isn't a Mary Sue. The world doesn't revolve around him as a character, and the plot isn't focused on the end of the world majority of the time. It's,

"One-Punch Man tells the story of Saitama, a superhero who has grown bored by the absence of challenge in his fight against evil and seeks to find a worthy opponent." Genre: Action, Comedy, Parody

Because of the Genre, I would also say that is super impactful of the definition. I would consider him a Mary Sue if it had a plot similar to Naruto's, but with his current background and lore.

I'd have to see what it is to really say. I'd consider the biggest checks would be to follow your own rules as far as how capable they are, figure out how 'able' they are to beat up another character in the same setting who's supposed to be around their level, and actually stick to their limits - that is, if you can take hits, do.

Back
Top Bottom