Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Elven Curiousity (Kolath and KawaiiKitten)

KawaiiKitten

Supernova
Nevannaiel frowned a little as she knelt in a patch of grass, not a half mile from the beaten tracks of her home roads. Heavy footprints... These were an unusual findings as her people, the elves, did not leave a footprint no mater how how soft the grass was. This could only mean one thing; a human.

All her life, Vanna had been told stories of the wild humans, their love for war and power and that she should be wary of them if she ever came across one. She had been trained as a huntress and charged with the duty of protecting their fair city in the middle of the forest. It was good work, mapping terrains, keeping an eye on the local wildlife... but this was something very serious.

She straightened up, looking at the direction the footprints went in. Taking an arrow from her quiver, she notched it in her bow and began to follow them. The forest was still noisy with the daily lives of the small animals, nothing to hint at danger yet. The breeze ruffled the ivory-skinned woman's golden hair, her sky-blue eyes scanning her surroundings gently. She made no sound as her light boots stepped on the grass, leaving no marks.

She was as beautiful as any of her people, flawless skin, large, striking eyes, a full mouth with peach pink lips. Her figure was lithe but tall, about 5' 9". Her movements were elegant and calculated as she tracked down the human tresspasser, knowing when she was drawing close as the forest noises faded slightly from her surroundings.

Fryan knelt by a stream washing his face. He sighed scrubbing the tiredness from his eyes, he couldnâ??t believe what he had recently learned about the history of the world. He was one of the few humans left that cared about history most were too concerned with gathering enough food or for that matter stealing it from another human village. He shook his head pushing a strand of redish brown hair back from his green eyes. He couldnâ??t hardly believe that humans had been so stupid but he had to except that they could be as he had watched his fellow humans fight over some of the dumbest things when all they really needed to do was talk about trade and they would all have what they needed.

However no one would listen to him for two main reasons. One he was considered a fool for caring what happened in the past, and second he was one of the few humans that had developed the ability to control the elements to some degree. Now he couldnâ??t stop a storm or a raging fire, but he had started both at different times in his life. Which is why he now was met with fear where ever he went. He was used to it but still it would be nice to meet someone that didnâ??t fear him.

Vanna spotted him by the stream, narrowing her eyes curiously. That was a human? He didn't look threatening at all... She had pictured humans as rough, wild people, something like the beasts. This man emenated intelligence, at least from what she could see and he didn't look like a beast. He looked somewhat like her people but with small round ears and rather rough around the edges.

Still, she was wary. Humans were meant to be great deceivers and his appearance could be one of those lies. She drew her arrow back in the string, aiming for the left of his back where his heart was. Kill quick and clean, that was the code of the Hunter. Yet, something else was tugging at her mind. He had done nothing but wander through a forest, he was completely alone and she had heard humans moved in packs. So...why was this one alone?

She hesitated, still having him in her sights, arrow ready to fly the second she released the string but still she stood there, watching.

He wiped the excess water from his face sighing once again. He wasnâ??t sure what he should do now, he knew he couldnâ??t go home but he needed somewhere that he could go. Standing he shrugged his shoulders and turned around. In that instant he froze seeing the huntress with her bow leveled at his heart. This wasnâ??t what he had meant by meeting someone that didnâ??t fear him.

His hands came up showing that he was unarmed and he slowly knelt down again but this time facing her. his eyes looked up at her his hands till outstretched, he knew that if the need arose he could call upon one of the elements to stop the arrow or even knock the huntress down but he didnâ??t want to become the aggressor and make her shot before it was needed. â??I donâ??t know why you are pointing that arrow at me but whatever I did Iâ??m sorry I meant no offence.â?

As he spoke, her frown deepened. He was actually being polite!! This was no beast and it made her curious as to what all the warning about humans really were about. Besides, this one was alone, what harm could he do?

Slowly, the bow was lowered and the string relaxed, though her eyes never left his face. A slight breeze ruffled her hair and clothing as she spoke to him, her voice lilting and musical. "Who are you? What are you doing here?" She asked cautiously, still not putting her weapon away.

The breeze caught his hair and cloak also as he knelt there watching her, â??my name is Fryan and I was just traveling I didnâ??t mean to trespass I was unaware of any kingdom or village in this area.â? His eyes flashed up looking at what the wind now showed, her elven ears. For a moment fear clouded his eyes because he knew the stories about the elves lack of mercy where it came to humans. However he had already lived longer than most of those stories said he would have, so something had to be different or he was getting awful lucky.

"Hm." She shook her head gently at him. "You should leave, human. This forest is not welcoming to your kind and no other hunter will be likely to give you a second chance." She told him, taking a half-step back as if she wanted to leave but her eyes continued to trace over his features with curiosity. After all, he was the first human she had ever seen for real.

He nodded slowly getting to his feet looking at her. â??Would you be so kind as to tell me the best way to go so I do not run into another hunter?â? his eyes looked into hers knowing that he was asking a lot from someone that had just done him a favor and spared his life, but it was better to ask and get told no then to run into another hunter, though she might just shot him for asking.

Vanna hesitated. There was no real way to ensure he didn't run into another hunter unless she guarded him from being shot. She looked around, carefully listening but then gestured for him to follow her. "Come with me. I will lead you out." She offered, walking east and waiting for him to catch up.

In truth, she wanted to know a bit more about this human, about his people in general.

He nodded and making sure his hands were where they could be seen. â??Thank you very much.â? He started to follow her wondering what stroke of luck had him running into probably the only single elf that would have shot a human at first sight. He caught up with her waiting for her to continue and staying close by her considering she was the only one with visible weapons.

She looked around cautiously before beginning to lead him through the forest, away from the city. "What possessed you to attempt walking through a forest, human?" The elf asked, turning her head to glance at him over her shoulder. "Surely you were aware that this is elven ground?"

He was a step behind her showing respect as well as allowing her to lead him. â??I know that some of the forest of the world are Elven grounds but I have been to ones where even elves are not welcome.â? He knew that he was saying something that would probably make most elves mad but he didnâ??t say it in a challenging way rather just a statement of fact. â??But here I had no choice in entering there was information in this forest that I needed to learn.â?

"I do not think you will find anything in this forest for you, other than death." Vanna told him, tossing a brief glance at him over her shoulder again. Now he had her even more curious. He was here seeking knowledge, something that her people lived for. If a human was brave, or stupid enough to attempt to do the same, he was really on a different level to what she had been told of his kind. "What word did you hear about information? What are you seeking?"

He looked down. â??No longer seekingâ?¦I found it two days ago. I heard about it in my other studies, that there used to be a great human city where this forest now stands. However because of the stupidity of humansâ?¦we nearly destroyed ourselves and the world with us.â? He sighed, â??I had hoped to find that it wasnâ??t true but the more I look the more I find to say that it is trueâ?¦and it makes me wish that I wasnâ??t human.â?

This human was really full of surprises, she had to admit. "Yes, the humans almost destroyed everything. Luckily, my people were able to restore the world to a state where it could begin to heal again, once the human numbers had been diminished." She replied, her golden hair flowing behind her.

"It is why we are to kill any human on sight that wanders into our territory, to prevent them from starting more wars, more fighting. Even as small as your numbers are, sometimes we still see displays of how dispicable they can be." She then paused before adding, "No offense. You're...a little different than what I've been told."

He shook his head, â??no offense taken you are right to fear what humans could be. We have never been the peaceful and kind people that I wish we could be.â? He sighed kneeling down for a moment gently plucking a wild flower. â??If my people could only learn how much there is in the world to gain by not destroying. Take this flower with just a few simple chemical operations it could be made into many different medicinesâ?¦but I have seen wars rage over a hunk of shiny metal that can do nothing for you.â? He placed the flower in his hip pouch and turned to follow the female elf farther.

Vanna nodded in agreement, finding herself to actually be enjoying the conversation with him. She paused a moment as she walked, turning her head one way and then the other.
"Stay close. There's another hunter in these parts but they won't shoot you if I'm here." She warned, gesturing him closer to her side.

He didnâ??t argue and quickly moved up to her side his eyes flicking around to try and find some sign of this other hunter. However being a human trying to spot an elf in the woods was like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and less likely. He continued walking beside her staying quiet.

((any ideas how we should progress the story? in which way we should go?))

Her eyes scanned her surroundings warily, keeping him close. The forest sounds were going silent now and that was a very bad sign...

((I was thinking they'd be spotted and an attempted attack leaves one of them injured? So her people are furious that she didn't do her job and she ends up on the run with him?))

Fryan had just noticed the silence when he noticed the sudden whistle in the air. Acting on instinct he molded the air behind him in a instant. The arrow flew down to the side of him striking the ground with a thud. He spun on his heel glaring toward where the arrow had come from. Another elven archer stood behind them another arrow already on the string though very shocked that her arrow had changed direction like that.

((who do you want to get injured?))

((I think she should. Means he has to be the one she relies on for a while))

Vanna spun and immediately placed herself in front of Fryan, drawing her own bow and calling out to the other hunter in elvish.
"<I'm leading him out. There's no need to kill him.>"

"<Humans are to be killed on sight. You know the rules, Vanna.>"
The other replied in a cold tone, the arrow still ready to fire. "<Move.>"

"No!! Blood need not be spilled!!" The blonde huntress snapped back, stepping back again to better cover him.

He was a bit shocked when she placed herself between him and the other hunter. Fryan didnâ??t let on that he understood elvish perfectly, such comes from being one willing to devote his life to study. As she stepped back toward him he leaned down whispering, â??You call the shots hereâ?¦you know her skills better than I do I trust your judgment.â? He was giving her leadership in this combat situation letting her know she could just tell him to get out of the way so she didnâ??t have to worry about him getting in the way.

Back
Top Bottom