Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Carnival of Rust (Lan Moore/Game Over)

Game Over

Planetoid
"Places everyone!", someone barked from backstage.

There was a thrill of excitement in the air as Mina remained still for the make-up artist. It seemed so trivial to have someone put her eyeliner and lipstick on, but this was the big leagues and nothing should be left up to chance. Tilting her head, she allowed them to draw the little black star under her right eye while someone else started fondling her breasts. At least, that's what it felt like to her, but in reality, they were just tugging on her corset top and making sure that everything fell into place. This was supposed to be a live broadcast and her group was only the warm up act. Besides, she didn't want to embarrass her idol. Hell, she didn't want to embarrass herself!

Leaning forward, Mina checked herself out in the mirror. Pale lips and cream flesh. Not a bleached piece of hair was out of place and her eyes were perfectly lined in smoky shades. Put together with her midnight ears, star and tight top... she was a knock out. Or so Mina thought. Everything was going according to plan! Finally, she was going to impress her idol and hopefully get his autograph at the same time. Maybe a phone number if she was lucky. What can we say? Mina was a raging fangirl for Lan. He had the voice of an angel and the boy of a god! Not to mention a number of other things we could mention.

"Mina! They're about to air. Get your ass in gear, girl", Archer, their lead guitar and back-up vocals, called from outside her dressing room.

"Are we ready yet?" She looked up to the little blonde that had been working on her. When she was flashed a smile and thumbs up, well... nothing could keep Mina in her seat. "Awesome!"

Leaping from her seat, she picked up her long, but very sheer skirts and made a run for her spot.

"Didn't think you would make it in time." Her friend joked while picking up his Gibson.

"Like I would really miss this." Smirking, she could already feel the energy start to build around them. That excited rush of nerves and guts. She could feel it in her toes. Picking up the microphone, she gave the wire a quick whip before turning her back to the cameras. Any moment now they would be announced and then it would be time to show the world what they were made out of. No more longer would Dichotomy be chained to nightclubs or smoke filled afterhours hang outs. No, they were finally busting out and...

Time!

Rounding on the invisible audience, Mina gave a flirty wink before rousing her stage persona, Starlyn. Starlyn was everything that Mina wasn't. Smart, funny and outrageous with just a hint of sadness. With those bright flashing eyes and dark outfits. She was a perfect separation of the typical Mina. What made it even better was the fact that Starlyn had no fear.

"Hey there! I told all of you that I would conquer the world and this is just the first step. Are you ready to rock, people? 'cause I'm just about ready to cream myself up here."

And then she launched into her song.

The tension in her muscles seemed to melt away under the blazing hot lights, her excitement continued to build as her words came out in an almost melancholy tone. This song was full of emotion. Most of which she spilled her soul into, but honestly, it was really a letter to idol. If only Lan Moore knew.

"Come feed the rain", she purred into the microphone while holding out a gloved hand to no one in particular. In her mind, she was seeing Lan before her. "'cause I'm thirsty for your love, dancing underneath the skies of lust. Yeah, feed the rain. 'cause without your love my life ain't nothing, but this carnival of rust."

Lan was just about finished with some of his voice training exercises, that when he heard the voice of the band that was suppose to warm up the crowd for him. Her voice sounded very interesting to him, he knew she deserved to be there, she had the spunk and the looks. What really attracted him though was the voice, she sounded incredible. He watched from the monitor in his dress room as he heard a knock on his door, a small sigh coming out of his mouth, "yeah I'll be right there." Lan got to his feel and headed out of the room opening the door to see his manager.

" I hope your not taking your sweet time getting ready, the rest of the band won't like you very much if you take for ever," said the manager with a cold, almost bored expression on her face. She the looked at Lan and licked her thumb, wiping of some eye liner, 'You say you can't put on your self, you won't let the make up crew put it on, you don't like wearing it, jeez Lan you've been doing this to long to still be screwing it up.

Lan sighed a bit, "I'm a singer, if it were up to me I'd go out there in my pajamas, people care too much about what I look like not about my music. Keep having to sing stuff the record labels think will sell instead of what I want to sing. They reject any thing I love because it's not me. I know who I am not them." He looked to her with a strange look, "And for some reason I still do it, still let you with me too, you think too much like them if you ask me but I can't get rid of you." With that he began walking to see the rest of his band, looking at the banner hanging that the words "Masterful Therapy." He still couldn't remember who thought up the name or why. He could hear her still singing, humming along with it for some reason.

"It's all a game, avoiding failure when true colors will bleed. All in the name of misbehavior and the things we don't need." She continued holding out her hand before allowing it to fall gracefully to her side as though giving up only to raise that same to her heart. Curling her fingers into a fist, she raised her eyes to the invisible audience. Could he see her from the monitor as well as hear? Is so, her eyes looked almost pleading. Like she was reaching out to her only love and fearing rejection. Maybe Mina was showing through a little in those wide gold eyes. Starlyn started moving her feet, her body swaying as she slipped to the floor only to rise again as her voice inched higher with each other spoken. "I lust for the after when no disaster can touch, can touch us anymore. And more then ever I hope to never fall.. where enough is not the same it was before! Come feed the rain..."

The song continued as Starlyn spilled her heart before them. In the background, Archer crossed the stage to stand behind her, his guitar swung around so that he could take her into his arms. His fingers spanned the tiny waist and moved along the black leather of her corset. Moving upward until his fingers would have grazed her breasts, but stopped before they actually brushed. Suddenly, at the chorus, he took her to the side and dipped her body towards the ground, her microphone still grasped tightly as they both sung together. Their voices twisting and rising, her eyes fixed on his own while he danced her around a small square of space and only allowed her to step away when she spun outward, her fingers reaching out into the dark.

"Come feed the rain 'cause I'm thirsty for your love. Dancing underneath the skies of lust." It was going so well. And she could almost feel his eyes on her. What did he think of her performance? What would he think if she told him that this had all been for him. That he would have never made it this far without his words cooing from the darkness of night and filling her soul with life. She wanted to return the favor. Starlyn would! And her next song would be even more expression. She just needed to see him, needed to be near him to think of the right words.

And then it was over. Well, almost over. Archer released her as they finished, her body still tingling with his warmth while he went back to strumming his guitar for her. While Starlyn was fixated on Lan... he did his all for her. If only she would open her eyes and see the truth before her eyes, but no. Starlyn was just another diva. And he liked that about her. All that passion and fury blocked in a pretty plastic wrapping. If only she would give up this fantasy and turn to him. She would once meeting Lan and learning that he was a guy like any other. At least, he thought so. Hell, he saw Lan from afar and knew he was the better man. She just hadn't realized that yet. Smirking, he listened to her finish and the stage grew black.

"Do you think we're done?", Mina practically panted. God, she felt so good! Her body was alive with tingling sensations. Hell, she was on fire? Laughing,s he turned to Archer and flung herself into his arms. "We did it! We actually did it... didn't we?"

Patting the back of her head, he hugged her close enough to nuzzle her furry ear and laugh. "Yeah, we did it, kiddo. Now, let's get our stuff and bail. Gotta keep up that mysterious facade, right?"

Laughing still, she clung to his taller form before finally stumbling away. She was drunk off of success. Or her perceived thought of it. Mina made it as far as the backstage area before sinking onto her knees and giggling like a maniac on the floor. Her arms wrapped tightly around her stomach, her breathing harsh and panting. This usually happened after a really good show or an extreme sugar rush. Wiping a hand against her sweaty forehead, she looked down at her hand and the pale make-up used to make her skin look more pale then usual. Yes, she was pale, but more along the lines of cream then true white. She started wiping her gave against her long gloves before pulling those off and leaning against the cool wall.

"Could someone get me a little water, please? Thanks."

Lan was in the back, making sure the equipment was working fine, making sure the sound was to the best levels and in tune. It was silent again, the act was done, soon it would be there turn. Already the music had gone away but it was replaced with cheers, they wanted music, the wanted to head them sing. It was what they had been waiting for after all. Still Lan was all alone back there, already done with the microphone check. He turned to one of the roadies deeming mad, "Where are those guys we have to get on in five minutes, what the hell is wrong with them?" It had been happening lately, they tried to keep it secret but the band was starting to fall apart, each one blaming the other for stealing the spot light. Tonight would be the night they would announce that they were official going their separate ways.

Lan could still remember when they had started, still remember the low paying gigs, the bar shows, barely being able to pay the rent... he missed it. He missed being able to sing what he wanted and what he wanted to sing about. He missed going out after the show to catch a meal at some dump of a diner with his friends not having to worry about people fallowing him. The would be able to talk about things they wanted to talk about, not how horrible they did or the fact that one of them was giving the band a bad name. Those days to him seemed liek dreams now, back then he would have given any thing to be where he was now, and now he would give any thing to be back then. Where did the band's heart go, where did their pride go?

Vash finally came to the back, he was the bass guitar player and he seemed to be ignoring Lan. Lan going up to him, 'What the hell is wrong with you, we're almost on damn it." Giving him a good push back as a baggie fell out of his pocket, holding white powder. He couldn't believe it, he was doing drugs again after they had tried to get him off of it. Lan went to reach for it but Vash grabbed it first.

"It's mine man... keep.. keep you hand of.." Lan's eyes looking at him, feeling like he had been betrayed in a way. He wanted to say something but just turned away going back to his microphone. Vash seeming confused, this was the first time Lan hadn't tripped out about him using drugs, "What's the matter dude?" He said, almost as if Lan was holding a gun to his head, almost as if he had given up on every thing. The two other member, Mike the guitarist and Neomi the drummer finally showed up, just barely in time. Lan didn't speak a word to them, he just let them check their equipment, for him he just wanted to end the show.

"Could someone get me a little water, please? Thanks", Mina rested her head against the cool brickwall and breathed a sigh. Moments later, she was greeted by the sight of Archer with a bottle of water in hand. He took a seat next to the down singer and offered her a sip while they listened to those rushing all around them. It had only been one set before Masterful Therapy started playing.

"I can't believe they're still around", she heard her friend muttering. "You'd think that everyone would see that they've lost their spark. Really, Starlyn, they should just move over and let the next generation take over, ya know?"

Tilting her head, she chuckled softly while breaking the seal on her bottle. She took a quick swallow and relished the cool moisture seeping down her throat while Archer kept voicing his opinion. In reality, she knew he was just jealous and maybe a little intimidated. After all, they were a huge group, right? And Dichotomy was just starting out basically. "They're rock gods and you know it, hun. Just chill and let's hope that we made an impression on their audience. If we can win these people over... just think of what else we can do."

Still sitting there, she drained the bottle before getting back to her feet. Already she could hear them tuning up. with a grin, she shot Archer a look before moving to stand just off stage and out of sight. This place... she had always wanted to be here. If only to be all that more close to were Lan stood. Squealing slightly, she clasped her hands together and hopped up and down on one foot. Archer, while standing next to her, gave the silver haired singer a disgusted snort.

"You're such a fan-girl." He grumbled.

"Shut up and listen. God, I hope I can talk to him for a moment", biting her lip, she silently mouthed his lyrics while allowing the song to wrap it's way around her. "Oh! This is one of my favorites."

((I'm not very good at making up songs))
Lan closed his eyes as he sang, opening them them for some reason as his eyes went off the stage to the direction Mina was at, keeping his eyes there as he sang. That girl from before, real talent is what she had, she could be great under the right circumstances, hopefully not the ones he ended up with. He wasn't sure what he'd do once his band was done with, he didn't think he could make it solo and chances are a new band would just be hated by his fans. He knew that kind of stuff usually didn't work but he needed something, any thing to keep his musical needs up.

He listened carefully as they practice, once he was done he looked to Neomi,"You're having a hard time not shaking, it's throwing us all off." He said, almost like it didn't matter any more, almost like telling some one their zipper was untied or something normal like that. Vash on the other hand didn't take it so lightly as he slammed Pushed Lan hard seeming very angry.

"You do better man, I like to see you fucking try you fucking sell out!" The guys was unusually angry, he hadn't wanted to leave, not because of the band but because it was the only thing he really knew what to do. His job was about to be taken and he was having a hard time figuring out what he would do as well. Mike tried to stay out of it though, he was the only one who knew what he was going to do, he had already been asked to replace a band member from another band, he didn't need their drama. How ever Neomi looked at Vash

"Just leave it alone Vash, I'm nervous it's... it's just hard saying goodbye." With that they all calmed down hearing the voice telling them that they're almost on. The curtain about to be opened. They put it all behind them ready to start with their first song, they figured they start with something slow and soft first, maybe that was the announcement would make sense after the sound. The curtains opened... show time.

( Me either. )

'He's looking right at me!', she thought with an excited laugh. Mina held both hands in front of her, fingers clasped tightly together as she watched him. His voice felt like warm velvet against her senses and seemed to wrap itself around her insides, pulling and tugging. Like he was caressing her with his song. If only he knew that her music was mostly dedicated to him, but she wouldn't say. Part of her appeal to the audience was that lovelorn look about her. Like she was looking for her one true darling and any man could fit the role. Not true. She only wanted Lan since her teenage years when her older sister bought one of his first CDs.

Archer didn't seem too thrilled when he glanced over at her and then back to the other group. They were good, he had to admit. There was no way that Mina could ever surpass this guy unless she gave up on her silly crush. And the sooner she did, the better. Leaning forward, he whispered something into her ear. Something that must have not been all that nice as she glared up at him and smacked his shoulder.

"Show some respect", she practically hissed. At the same time, she noticed a little discord on stage. Something wasn't right. The notes were wobbly at best and Lan seemed almost... angry. Not to mention Vash and Neomi weren't looking that great either. It was almost as though there were a tension in the air that made her and Archer's squabbles look like child's play. There was something deeper going on here. Mutiny, she thought. It felt like things were about to change.

And then the curtains raised upon the musical giants. It was a beautiful sight. Mina could also remember being down in the pit watching from below as he sang. Now, she was just a few feet from him. So close, but so far away. Her fingers itched to reach out, her throat constricted and her air felt thin. What she wouldn't give to sing a duet with him. Just once. That would be a dream come true.

Lan sang his heart out, trying to make sure the fans got what they paid for that night, because before the night was through, they would end up with news they wish they had never heard. His performance, seemed to be focused on the signing, not trying to be over the top with that performance, not for the first song. He looked at his band every now and then, they could feel it, the wish that the song wouldn't end, the wish that they could turn back the hands of time. Too proud to say it to each other.

Once the song Finally ended and he heard the cheers and clapping it almost broke his heart that he was about to break theirs. Sweat covering his body from the hot lights and the movements as he looked towards the crowd he could barely make out, "How are you all doing tonight! You all having a good fucking time!?" He put the mic out towards them as they shouted then took it back, " I'd lake to thank Dichotomy for do a great damn job, I see them being great some day but for now I have an announcement that I've been trying to avoid making but has to finally come out..." he stopped and looked back at his band, almost as if wishing they all would change their minds at once, knowing it wouldn't happen. He turned back trying his best not to sound sad, " After years of performing Masterful Therapy is breaking up... It's time to let the new guys ..." He tried to continue talking as he heard the screams coming from the crowd, the screams not wanting to let it happen.

Lan pulled the microphone away from his mouth and closed his eyes, taking in the sounds. This is what it sounded like in the end, the cried of anger and sadness... he placed the microphone back to his lips, " We'll be announcing our final concert soon.. for now let's just playing some fucking music." He said, hoping that would calm them as they started to play one of their newer songs, something a lot more energetic.

Back
Top Bottom