Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Full Story: Hearts of Darkness (w. ShadowOfDesire)

Miranda froze at the unexpected movement, eyes widening as he leaned in. What in the hell is he doing? Her stomach lurched in a way that it hadn't in a long while, fluttering with nervous anticipation. Then she felt the brush of his cheek against hers and the hot whisper against her ear, teasing in both deed and word. As he drew back smugly, she blushed, partly from anger and partly from embarrassment. Surprisingly, she found herself slightly disappointed that he hadn't tried to kiss her, but was primarily relived that he had the sense not to make the attempt. He'd said he wanted to be friends, after all, and she was almost certain that a slap across his face might very well end that. Still, he left her a bit heated and flushed when he departed, which rattled her to no end. Somewhat stunned, she followed his muscular form until he disappeared from view and then sighed. You shouldn't have opened up, she chided herself.

In fact, she was so flustered that she was almost back to her hotel before she remembered that she hadn't given him the names she'd brought with her. "Son of a bitch." The swear drew her driver's attention, but she waved off his concern. "Sorry. Not you."

As she might not have another opportunity to speak with him any time soon, she made up her mind to go to the party he'd invited her to the following evening. While she'd normally decline, knowing the photographer would be in attendance gave her incentive to go. Back in her room, she was sifting through her closet in search of something that said 'casual party' when she heard her text alert.

Did you have a nice date?

The text came from an unknown number, but Miranda knew immediately who'd sent it.

Jack reflected on the evening as he drove back to base. It had started as drinks with the Doc and ended as dinner with Miranda, so that right there made him smile. Sure, she’d pretty clearly held a lot back when they talked, but that was only natural, especially for a gal who seemed to be carting around the baggage the Doc, correction Miranda, was. He briefly wondered if he’d pushed things too far at the end, but it’s seemed like the right thing to do at the time, so he didn’t really worry about it much; at least she hadn’t slapped him. Jack grinned, as he also thought “And if she had I would have deserved it, so even that wouldn’t have been a big deal; well worth seeing that expression on her face. God, she’s pretty.”

---

The next morning Jack slept in and after a quick breakfast, sat down for yet another planning meeting with Dieter, Valeriy and Danny. When they started it was obvious the Afikaner intel officer was hungover, so Jack and Dieter ribbed him mercilessly for a bit while Valeriy looked on mildly amused. Then Danny tried to counterattack by asking Jack “Hey fokker, we can’t all be like you, going off on dates with lekker lady doctors on our Friday nights. How’d that go boet? Mikhail told me you got home pretty early …” which lead to a round of guffaws from Dieter, and a strange look at Jack from the former GRU man.

With that bit of work out of the way Jack hit the gym to do some lifting with Ian. As the two shot the shit between sets, Ian mentioned that the gunner who’d been shot, Private Adewale, had been temporarily assigned to the aid station while he recovered and was doing well; he’d turned out to be a clever kid and was picking things up fast. Jack made a mental note to go see Adewale on Monday, not just to check on him but also see if he was interested in making the assignment more permanent; while good machinegunners were a valuable commodity, Jack also knew that good field medics were worth their weight in gold. After Ian left, Jack sat on a bench and texted Miranda:

Hey, here’s A’s #. I had fun last night, hope u did too. Maybe I’ll see you at J’s later.

Then Jack took a shower, got his ass kicked at racing games on the Playstation for awhile, had a good dinner, read some and eventually found himself once again staring at his limited civvies selection; normally he wouldn’t have given a crap about what he wore to Jelena’s party, but he had to admit he was hoping Miranda would come by tonight. Jack was thinking wistfully about his one “lucky” green shirt, which was still sitting in his laundry bag, when Mikhail walked into the room. The Russian was wearing a bright orange and blue Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts that revealed his pale, scrawny legs in all their glory and some old leather sandals; “At least he’s not wearing black socks,” Jack thought. Mikhail’s hair was also slicked back, and all together his look came across as “retired Russian mafia thug on vacation at the beach.” Without even looking Jack reached out and grabbed one of his black “contractor” shirts, a pair of olive green trousers and started to get dressed.

“Thanks for telling Danny about me seeing Miranda last night.

“You are welcome.” Mikhail sipped from the half full water glass he was carrying before he asked “So she is Miranda now?” Jack shrugged in reply and Mikhail just looked at him as he took another sip.

“You are also driving tonight.”

“Of course I am” Jack replied, as he grabbed his bag. “Let’s go, tovarich.”

"You're seeing him again tonight?"

Miranda ignored him for a moment as she leaned toward the mirror to fasten her earrings. Eventually, her gaze found his in the reflection. "You told me to find out what was going on. The best way to do that is to continue to work with him. It doesn't hurt to be a bit friendly."

"Did you fuck him yet?"

She scowled. "Seriously? We met for drinks and had dinner. That's it. You already know that."

He grinned. Of course he already knew. "Maybe you should. I'm sure you'd have some interesting pillow talk that I could use."

Miranda rolled her eyes as she applied a deep shade of nude lipstick. "How about I get what I need to get my way and you stop popping up in my hotel room uninvited? You're supposed to be sending me messages on when and where to meet, not showing up here whenever you like. What if I had someone over?"

He laughed. "One, you never have anybody over. Two, if you happened to have someone over, I'd know about it before I ever entered the building. Three, I intend to pop in whenever I feel like. You could be sleeping... changing clothes.... in the shower...." Another grin appeared as he caught her heated glare. "Just try and get me something actionable tonight. Okay, sweetie?"

"Yea, sure,"

-----

A short time later, Miranda was in her hired car and on her way. She'd given her driver the address and the man seemed to know where he was going. Miranda was glad she didn't have to drive herself because she was a bundle of nerves just then. She was somewhat excited about getting out and going to a party, but also nervous at being around people she barely knew. She hadn't been exaggerating when she told Jack that most people didn't like her. She already had something of a reputation in certain crowds. Having her show up to a random party was going to spark some interesting rumors.

Finding Jelena’s compound in Bolori I had been tricky, but finding her small villa inside hadn’t; it was the place with all the vehicles parked nearby and Europop thumping out the windows. As the two contractors walked towards the party Jack caught Mikhail’s head bopping along to the music and he stopped to ask a question. “You’re not going to start doing that dance, where you crouch down and start kicking your legs out, are you?”

“I like the music.”

“What do you know about music?”

“I play the piano.”

Jack looked at Mikhail for a moment, as if the Russian had just told him he was really a giraffe, then went up to ring the doorbell.

The woman who answered was about Jack’s age, and stood blocking the way with one hand on her cocked hip and another up by her head holding the open door, a smoke dangling from her fingers. Her burgundy blouse matched her lipstick, and her shoulder length brunette hair was about the same color as her leather pants and heels. Her dark eyes regarded the two men rather dubiously, Mikhail especially, before she simply asked “Yes?” Jack quickly explained they were looking for Jelena’s party and that they’d been invited by Aldo.

The woman took a drag off her cigarette, then ruefully smiled at Jack before saying “That boy will be the death of me” in a mild Slavic accent. She waved her hand at the two contractors as she added “I am Jelena. Come, come” and quickly ushered them into her home. Plowing through the men blocking her way by lightly barking at them in various languages and delivering well placed pokes here and there, Jelena led Jack and Mikhail into the dining room, which featured a table laden with catered food and a sideboard piled with even more booze. Jack asked for a beer and as their hostess handed him a Castle, Mikhail said something in Russian that made Jelena laugh; Jack knew that was his cue to exit stage left, so he wandered away into the living room.

Jack recognized a few people from his “civil affairs” rounds; some nodded his way, while others studiously ignored him. Then he noticed Aldo across the room and decided to go say hi. As Jack made his way through the press he saw the young photojournalist was wearing black jeans, an Eiffel 65 t-shirt and sunglasses; how the young Italian could see anything in the dimly lit room was anyone’s guess. Still, Jack slapped Aldo on the arm as he shook the kid’s hand; Aldo seemed quite pleased to see Jack, and even happier when the contractor mentioned Doctor Blake and MSF might be interested in the pictures of their trip to Akanni.

After more than a few grazie’s Aldo nodded towards a short young woman standing a few feet away talking to three guys. Her long, dark curly hair framed a very cute face, and her white v-neck t-shirt contrasted markedly with her caramel colored skin, but matched her flip flops perfectly; the t-shirt was as tight as the blue jeans the young woman wore and made it clear that if she ever had babies, they’d never go hungry. “Mia donna Naomi. Like mia madre, she is from Addis. She works for Jelena.”

At the sound of her name Naomi turned her head and gave Jack a polite little smile; then Aldo said something to her in Amharic and the smile was replaced for a second by a worried little frown. Naomi looked over at Aldo then back at Jack, hesitated for a moment and then reached out to lightly touch the contractor’s forearm as she said “Thank you for helping my Aldo;” Naomi’s charming British accent couldn’t quite mask the fact that her words of thanks didn’t sound all that happy to Jack . As Naomi turned back to flirt with the three other guys, Jack wondered what the hell had just happened; Aldo might have been looking on behind his shades, but it was hard to tell. Jack briefly pondered whether the young Italian was one of the most confident guys he’d ever met, or the most oblivious, before he excused himself to wander around some more.

Since the inside of the villa was getting crowded, hot, noisy and smoky Jack eventually popped out the back, just in time to see a French blonde he vaguely knew go running past in what he assumed was a bikini; she was quickly caught by some guy chasing her and the two tumbled off the patio into the communal pool at the center of this block of villas. A few seconds later the two came sputtering up from under the water, and as the gal began climbing out it became evident that she’d “somehow” lost her top when she fell in. A smattering of applause broke out from the male party goers around the pool as the gal shrieked in horror and tried to cover herself, but Jack was close enough to see that was all for show; a little smile played at the corners of the Frenchwoman’s mouth and her nipples were rock hard, almost certainly not because of the still warm pool water. Another guy standing nearby decided to play along and walked up to the gal, pulled off his t-shirt and offered it to her; she accepted with a smile and quickly pulled it on, thereby plastering the thin yellow fabric to her upper body. The two were soon joined by the first guy who’d also fallen into the pool, while the Frenchwoman's top floated forgotten in the water.

Jack glanced down at this watch. “Shenanigans have started a little early,” he thought. “Must have been a tough week all around.” Then Jack noticed an older, retired British cop named Trevor standing off to the side. Besides being out in Maiduguri as part of some sort of UN sponsored police training mission, the Brit held a dark pint glass in his hands, so Jack figured he could kill two birds with one stone by asking about a Guinness while they talked shop. As he made his way around the pool Jack briefly wondered if Miranda was going to make it tonight, and what she’d make of this kind of expat house party if she did …

After Miranda exited her hired vehicle and walked toward Jelena's villa, she immediately had second thoughts about attending. The music and loud exclamations were enough to tell her that this wasn't her sort of party. She'd expected something a bit more subdued than a Spring Break trip to Cancun. She stopped short of the door and turned, but her car was gone, likely hired to pick up someone else. Glancing at her phone, she knew it'd be at least a twenty minute wait until another car could get her. Should she just stand outside to wait in hopes that no one noticed her until she made her escape? Knowing her luck, she figured Jack would show up at the most inopportune time and give her hell about it. Sighing, she tucked her phone away and headed for the door, ringing the bell.

It had taken her some time to decide what she should wear. Was it a fancy party? Casual? Conservative? Was everyone dressed down? What would Jack be wearing? She couldn't be sure, so she opted for something that could serve as both, wearing a fitted pant suit in black with low kitten heels. The fit flattered her figure and the dark color ensured that accidental spills wouldn't be immediately visible. Pairing it with a light jacket meant she could cover up if she wished. The only down side was that she had to unzip the entire thing and basically strip in order to use the toilet, which was difficult enough while sober and fairly impossible when drunk. But, as she didn't intend to get plastered, she did think it would be a problem.

Fidgeting while she waited for someone to answer the door, she checked her phone again for the time. Maybe I'll only stay half an hour. That shouldn't be too long. Get in, meet a few people, speak with the photographer, give Jack his names, and get the hell out. Seems reasonable.

-----

Casual Party Wear

As Jelena opened the front door her expression changed to one of surprise; “Doctor Blake” she said, her tone matching her facial features. “Lee told me he could not make it.” The Croat woman’s eyes flicked over the Doc’s shoulder for a second, then back to Miranda. Jelena paused, and then smiled warmly before she went on. “I am glad he passed the invitation along to you.” After another hesitation Jelena leaned forward a bit, touched the Doc’s arm and lightly pressed one cheek and then the other up against Miranda’s for just a moment. The Croat woman then stepped back and waved her hand at the Doc; “Come, come” she chided, a smile still on her face.

Jelena once again plowed her way through the guys blocking her way to the dining room, adding a few extra pokes to her efforts in order to make sure the way was well and truly clear. Unfortunately this had the added effect of attracting a bit more attention to the party’s hostess, which rapidly shifted to the party’s new arrival. Once in the dining room Jelena brushed a stray lock of hair away from her face and gestured to the spread around her as she asked “Can I get you a drink? Something to eat?” Just then one of the caterers came in from the kitchen and began refilling a chafing dish with chicken and rice, before also topping off a platter of samosas.

After she’d carefully eyed the resupply of the buffet Jelena leaned against the dining table and stretched her back as she looked out into the living room. As she lifted one foot and then the other the Croat woman casually spoke to Miranda. “No one else from MSF is here, that I have seen. But I think there may be some other people here you know.” After setting both feet on the floor Jelena turned towards Miranda, sipped a little of her drink and smiled. “I am glad you could come to my party. I like your earrings.” The Croat woman was about to say something else when there was a clatter from the kitchen; “Enjoy” was all she had time to say, before she bustled off muttering curses under her breath.

For a moment Miranda had the dining room all to herself but then Mikhail walked in, his head moving in time with the music thumping out of the living room. The Russian walked over to the bar and refilled his water glass with vodka before he turned to Miranda; “Good evening Doctor Bleck” he said, in his usual flat tone and heavy Russian accent. Then Mikhail sauntered off into the kitchen, his head still bopping away …

"A pleasure to see you again, Jelena," Miranda replied to the woman's greeting. As she'd told Jack, she didn't know the woman all that well, but the few times they'd worked together, she'd found her reasonably pleasant. It came as no surprise that she'd invited Lee, however. He was quite social, single, and enjoyed the company of pretty women. Rather than explain how she'd really been invited, she kept quite, not bothering to correct the woman's assumption. It hardly mattered, after all.

As they entered the party, Miranda fidgeted with the jacket over her arm as she found herself being scrutinized. She kept her attention on her hostess, smiling tightly at the compliments, but nodding her understanding. "There are a few people here that I know. I can help myself, so don't worry about me. Thank you," she called after the woman as she was abruptly abandoned. She cast about to get her bearings just as she spotted Mikhail. Though she waved lightly at his greeting, she was glad he didn't stay to chat. Moving to the bar, she fixed herself a very strong screwdriver and took a long drink before plunging into the crowd.

Her eyes scanned those gathered as she wove her way through the house, searching for the photographer or Jack, whoever she could find first.

Many of the guys at the party were busy talking and drinking, so they didn’t really pay much attention to Miranda as she wove through the packed house. That actually raised a small problem of its own though, since it was hard to hear anyone say “excuse me” with the music thumping away; that probably accounted for why Jelena had resorted to barking and poking as she made her way through the crowd. But most of the guys did notice Miranda, and were fairly decent about making way for her while also keeping their ogling discreet. Of course there were a few jackasses too, who seemed to delight in forcing the Doc to brush past them while they eyed her like a working girl, and one young guy was even bold enough to suddenly block Miranda’s path, lightly grasp her upper arms for a second and then press his cheek against hers as Jelena had done! When that bravo stepped back the Doc could recognize it had been Aldo, who grinned at Miranda as he happily ushered her over to the space that he’d claimed for himself and his girlfriend, who was still chatting away with three other guys.

Once they were off to the side Aldo immediately launched into an excited monologue that rambled from highlights of the trip to Akanni to how fabulous Miranda looked, back to how amazing Aldo’s pictures of the trip were, back to how fabulous Miranda looked in many of the amazing pictures of the trip Aldo had taken. Liberally sprinkled with Italian, the stringer’s spiel somehow also included mention of the fact that Jack (who was also at the party by the way, maybe out at the pool?) had said that the MSF was also interested in Aldo’s work – which prompted the Italian to finally pause and fish a wrinkled business card out of his black jeans, which he tried to smooth out before he handed it to Miranda. Seeming a little parched, Aldo quickly chugged half a can of Red Bull before he then reached out and touched his girlfriend on the shoulder.

As Naomi turned she looked up at Miranda, who even in her bare feet would have been taller than the younger woman. Naomi’s eyes widened then narrowed as they briefly flicked over Miranda, and the hint of a frown tugged at the Ethiopian woman’s lips as she shuffled a little closer to her boyfriend; Naomi actually stepped on one of Aldo’s feet as she moved towards him, but the stringer either didn’t notice or care and just slipped a hand lightly around his girlfriend’s waist as he said something to her in Amharic. Whatever the comment was caused the younger woman’s facial features to immediately soften, only to be immediately replaced by a look that seemed confused, as she stood up straight, held out a hand and tried to smile. “Pleasure to meet you Doctor Blake, I'm Naomi. You look very elegant this evening.” Anyone listening probably would have thought Naomi was being completely sincere, and also trying as hard as she possibly could to sound like a mature, young professional.

Last edited:
Miranda had been to enough clubs in her life to know the drill. Some men used the cover of the crowd to play grab ass or molest passing women. It was a douchbag thing to do, but it was part of the scene, almost expected, really. Miranda kept her arms in tight to her body, partly out of necessity and partly to protect her breasts. While she couldn't stop them from groping or grinding against her when she passed, she could minimize what they had access to. When she was accosted, her knee automatically rose to strike at the most vulnerable target one could find on a man, but paused when she realized the photographer had found her. Thankful that he had a little area out of the main press of people, she took a breather once they cleared the crowd and had another long drink, which did wonders to soothe her frayed nerves.

His mixed Italian/English might have been difficult for some to follow, but she recognized quite a few of the conversational phrases he used, especially the ones that were so very similar to Spanish. Between his chatter, she managed to get in a few words of her own, assuring them that Jack spoke highly of his work and requesting a copy of all of his photographs on a thumb drive for her own use, as well to show her MSF contacts his work. She took his card and promised that someone would be in touch with him, and that they'd likely want to purchase additional shots if he did any additional traveling on military missions. After tucking his card into her purse, she turned her attention to the pretty Ethiopian.

Naomi was quite pretty, Miranda noted, as she took the offered hand for a firm shake. While she wasn't sure what Aldo had said about her, the woman's manner made her smile. She couldn't be sure, but the woman seemed a touch intimidated. "Nice to meet you as well, Naomi, and thank you. I wasn't sure what to wear, so settled on something comfortable. I like your jeans. Very flattering on you. I can see why Aldo brags to everyone about his beautiful girlfriend." She cocked her head in the general direction of their hostess. "How do you know Jelena?"

Naomi positively beamed at Miranda’s compliments, and the young Ethiopian woman’s posture noticeably relaxed as she replied with a polite “Thank you, Doctor Blake.” Then Naomi paused and took a sip from the plastic cup in her hand before she tried to answer Miranda’s question. “I went to British school back home, so I was able to get a position at the UN when I finished; just a junior secretary at the High Commission. Even though I was only local staff, after two years I was able to apply for difficult to fill positions at other missions. I saw that the assistant administration officer for WHO in Maiduguri had gone vacant for almost a year, so I applied for that one straightaway.” Naomi laughed a little. “My Mum was furious, but here I am.” After another sip from her cup the younger woman went on with a smile. “Jelena has been so very kind to me, and I’m learning a lot from her.” Naomi bounced on her toes a little and her smile broadened as she added “I also met Aldo here.”

Naomi’s face suddenly clouded and she looked down for a moment, chewing on her lower lip, before she looked back up at Miranda and started talking. “Doctor Blake, did you really go out of the city with mercenaries? Aldo wanted to show me his pictures but I … I didn’t want to look at them. He said a man wanted to attack you, and that the mercenaries were going to shoot him. But then there was an explosion, and it was a soldier who got shot. And that even though there was blood everywhere, you were able to save him. The soldier I mean.” As the words rushed out of Naomi’s mouth she pressed even closer to Aldo and her free hand began toying with the neckline of her t-shirt, even as her head craned forward and her wide eyes stayed locked on Miranda’s. It was easy for the Doc to see a look of utter confusion pass over the younger woman’s face before she also asked “And did you really have a goat with you?”

As the two women talked Aldo gazed serenely out at the party through his shades, one of his hands still lightly wrapped around his girlfriend’s waist; what, if anything, he might have been thinking about was anyone’s guess.

Miranda had to laugh. "Ah, yes, the goat. I'm afraid the poor thing was frightened half to death. It was a gift from the village that we visited. I requested specifically to go out with the mercenaries and local soldiers because the people of that village desperately needed our help. Many of them were dying and more would have died had we not gotten vaccines to them."

"Jack's crew was extremely professional and only interested in protecting our medical team rather than stirring up a war. The MSF doesn't want us teaming up with the military because it puts us at odds with the locals, but groups of locals like Boko Haram are at odds with us no matter what. If I'd gone alone with just other doctors, we probably wouldn't have made it back alive. We're being targeted. Last month, a group of MSF doctors was assaulted in Mombasa. Luckily, they weren't killed, and the thieves were just after their medicine and not their lives, but the men were still beaten and the two women in the group were raped multiple times. I'd like to prevent that here. So while mercenaries aren't always the answer, they do serve a purpose and help keep us safe."

She shot the photographer a look. "And I don't think the villager that yelled at me was in any danger of being shot. He never made any threatening moves. He was just frustrated because of what's been going on in Abuja, and I happened to be a convenient target for his anger. There was no harm done. He just needed to vent."

"Fortunately, the soldier that was shot wasn't badly injured and will make a full recovery. If I couldn't handle the blood, I wouldn't have become a surgeon. Also, I think you should look at Aldo's photographs. Jack told me that they were quite good, and most of them were taken in the village where we were helping the people there."

Miranda threw a glance back at the crowded room. "Speaking of Jack, did you see where he went?"

Naomi stared at Miranda wide eyed as the Doc recounted her version of the trip to Akanni; by the end of it, the young Ethiopian woman’s mouth was actually hanging open just a little. Naomi didn’t say anything for several seconds, then finally started articulating some sort of reaction. “I … I … Yes … of course Doctor Blake, I’ll have a look at my Aldo’s pictures straightaway.” Naomi blinked her eyes and then replied to Miranda’s question. “Who? Oh, the mer… big American? I think he went out by the pool.” Naomi gestured towards the back of the house, then seemed to notice her plastic cup was empty and put it on a nearby shelf. After she said something in Amharic to Aldo, her boyfriend replied with “Si bella, si,” took Naomi’s hand and started to plunge into the crowd back towards the dining room; before departing Aldo gave Miranda a little two finger wave as he called out “Ciao Dottore!

As Naomi vanished into the crowd behind Aldo she also smiled and gave Miranda a little wave; it was hard to tell, but the young Ethiopian’s expression might just have had more than a little worry mixed in with it.

---

Jack’s chat outside with Trevor had been pretty productive; the old British cop was pretty hard nosed and had said he’d be happy to share any info he came across for nothing more than a pint or two. Even better though, before he headed out Trevor had also told Jack where Jelena had stashed the Guinness in the dining room. So after he finished his first Castle, Jack started navigating back around the pool just in time to see the French blonde decide to hop back in the water; without any to-do she peeled off the borrowed t-shirt she’d been wearing and climbed into the shallow end. That seemed to prompt another gal Jack hadn’t noticed at first, a tall Kenyan with very short hair, to kick off her shoes, pull off her sundress and hop in as well; the Kenyan woman was wearing a rather risqué yellow, floral print one-piece that actually seemed to attract more attention than the French gal’s topless look. As several guys took that as their cue to also climb into the pool, Jack again wondered if Miranda was going to come by that evening. So he stopped to see if the Doc might have sent him a text while he was busy talking to Trevor …

"Strange fucking couple," Miranda muttered as the pair left. After throwing another glance about the interior of the house, she decided that Jack wasn't in attendance and was likely outside as Naomi had offered. Her attitude toward mercenaries wasn't surprising. Most thought them to be money-hungry douche bags that cared nothing about the locals they were supposed to be protecting. She'd seen something different in Jack, however, and knew that stereotype didn't apply to him in the slightest.

After downing the rest of her screwdriver, she pushed her way back through the crowd to fix herself another and then went in search of the back exit. It was a true relief when she finally broke free of the press of people and stepped outside. The weather was hardly cool, but it was far more comfortable in the back yard than it had been inside. Even with the shrill, excited screams, the chest-thudding music, and shenanigans taking place in the pool, the back patio was a much more comfortable place to be. She didn't feel stifled or claustrophobic. Stepping to one side of the door, she paused to catch her breath, scanning the crowd as she sipped at her drink.

She was just about to give up and abandon the party altogether when she spotted Jack scrolling through his phone. Just give him the names and go, she told herself. The last thing she wanted was to get pulled into some twenty-something drama that was bound to explode fairly soon when the younger people reached their alcoholic limit and began to tell one another the brutal truths they'd never said. That, or some damned fool would try to push her into the pool. Staying well away from the water, she moved to intercept the mercenary, already blaming him for talking her into attending the party.

Jack was more than a little disappointed when he didn't see a message from Miranda, but smiled when he looked up and saw her right there, coming towards him. He thought she looked great, and decided to let her know that in his own inimitable way. “Hey, you made it! You look great, I love your pajamas. Probably better for a sleepover than a pool party, but you could make them work anywhere; much nicer than that frumpy old outfit you threw on for our drink.” Jack grinned. “Or did we end up having dinner together?”

Jack was about to say something else when he heard someone shout something in German off to his side; turning his head in that direction Jack saw a big, overweight dude rush past and cannonball into the pool. As the guy slammed into the surface there was a loud “Ka-woosh!” and pool water geysered up and out, spraying everywhere

Miranda snapped back at his teasing with a retort of her own. "Well maybe if someone told me that it was going to be a pool party, I would have worn something more appropriate, though whatever I'm wearing is ten times better than a boring shirt and khaki pa..."

Ka-woosh!

The splash hit her from the side, dousing her from head to toe in chlorinated pool water. She didn't quite shriek, but the exclamation of incredulity was enough to get the point across. Her suit was too dark for a bit of water to render it translucent, but it did cling to her body, revealing every curve of her slender form. Her hair was similarly plastered to her face and head, all of the volume disintegrating beneath the weight of her sodden locks, calling to mind a half-drowned cat or other soggy animal. Lips slightly parted in surprise, she gazed down at herself with the deepest of frowns, then shot the hedonistic party goers in the pool a death glare.

People were laughing at the German's antics. Drinking and laughing. Laughing at her. Miranda could feel her irritation rising. Cheeks flushed and body thrumming with anger, she spared a glare for Jack as though he were to blame. With her nerves already frayed from a hectic week and the pressures put on her by Carson, she was ready to explode. She'd taken a chance on stepping out of her comfort zone, and they'd made her look foolish.

"I knew this was a huge mistake," she muttered, throwing her ruined, watery drink on the ground. With as much dignity as she could muster under such circumstances, she turned to leave, stalking toward the side gate rather than pushing through the house guests again.

Last edited:
It felt like a bucket of pool water had hit Jack and even though it was pretty warm, he still wasn’t exactly thrilled by it. The main thing that pissed him off was that his shirt was now plastered to his torso and he could see the butt of his pistol printing through the fabric; fortunately his shirt was black, which would help minimize the problem until he dried off. As Jack looked up he could see that Miranda had also been drenched, and he started to say something to her about being made of sugar when he noticed the expression on her face; it was not happy. Then Miranda threw her drink on the ground and stalked away without a word, which made Jack realize the Doc was really, really upset. He took off after her and started talking.

“Miranda wait! Please. I didn’t know this was going to be a pool party, Aldo never mentioned it to me. I’m not dressed for it either. And I’m sorry we … you got soaked by that idiot. I can see you put a lot of work into looking even more beautiful than usual, and he screwed all that up. But you still look great, really.” Jack took a chance and reached out to lightly touch Miranda on the arm as he added “Hold up a second, would you? Please?”

Jack took a breath than started tossing out options as fast as he could think of them. “We could go back and find Jelena, I’ll bet she’d get you a towel and help you clean up.” Jack grinned as he added. “And I can also shoot that guy in the pool if you want me to.” Not sure how his joke would go over at this point Jack thought it best to just keep going. “Or if you’re dead set on leaving, let me at least walk you to your car.” Then Jack remembered Miranda used a driver. “Wait, no, okay … so if you’re going to call for your car, let me wait with you. You can sit in my truck, maybe dry off a little? Or heck, at that point, why don’t I just drive you home? That’s the least I can do for a fellow American, right? I’ll just come back and get Mikhail later.”

Jack couldn’t tell if Miranda had heard a single word he’d said, and was pretty much out of ideas. The only other thing he could think of was “Just don’t go walking away alone. You don’t have to do that.”

Miranda knew that she was overreacting, even before Jack reached for her, but knowing didn't always equate to stopping. It irked her that she let these people get to her, that she'd let them irritate her with something so petty, and that, in turn, irked her even more. Even Jack irritated her, rattling off one pleadingly helpful suggestion after another, in a clear effort to diffuse her anger. Does he really want me to stay that much? Despite his sincerity, she found herself doubtful and still leery of his motives. Though he claimed to have none where she was concerned, it was in her nature to distrust.

Her eyes flicked back to the house where people were still laughing and partying, oblivious to her wrath. She shook her head lightly. "I'm not going back in there," she said, pointing heatedly at the house. "Not looking like this." There were simply too many people, and she wasn't up to braving them again, especially not looking like a bedraggled rat.

"Give me your keys, go find me a towel, get us a couple of beers, and we'll sit in your truck and talk for a bit. I came here to see you, not them." She held out her hand for his keys, waiting to see if he was interested in her proposition.

Jack blinked then smiled when he realized that Doc Frosty was back; he definitely would have preferred Miranda, but he knew he could still cope with Doc F. In that vein he started to reply to her by saying “Right away Your Highness,” but then stopped himself at the last second; if he wanted Miranda back, he figured it would be best to give her a little more time to settle down. So instead Jack just fished out his truck keys, handed them to the Doc and pointed down the street as he said “Sure, it’s that way. You’ll recognize it.”

---

Since the party was starting to really fill up and get going, Jack didn’t have much trouble slipping back into the villa. Keeping an eye out for Jelena he grabbed a couple of Castles and a plate full of somosas from the dining room, and couple of towels from under the sink in the spare bathroom that guests were using; he got some funny looks from a few people as he strolled out of the villa, along the patio and out the side gate, but that was about it.

---

Back at the truck Jack popped open his door, handed a towel to Miranda and also put the samosas up on the dashboard. Still outside, Jack then unbuttoned his shirt, wrung it out and hung it up on the sideview mirror. After that he stripped off his undershirt and wrung that out as well; after years spent in barracks and locker rooms he wasn’t shy about being bare-chested and Miranda was a doctor after all. And if she happened to notice that his torso was as muscular as his arms and his chest was as hirsute as his face, well that wasn’t his problem. Even the four inch scar high up on his right arm, where he’d been hit, didn’t embarrass him, especially since he’d seen her scars too; the only thing he was careful to do was turn his right hip away from her, so she couldn’t see the pistol holster tucked into the waistband of his trousers.

After he'd toweled off Jack pulled his damp undershirt back on and left it hanging loose so that it covered his belt line. Then he pulled the two beers from his cargo pockets, hopped into the truck and popped their caps with the multi-tool in his go-bag. After he put one of the Castles in Miranda’s cup holder he grabbed a samosa and turned to her. “I got these too, ‘cause I figured you still needed to put some meat on those bones of yours.” Jack paused before he added “But now that I’ve seen you in a wet t-shirt contest, I might be wrong about that.” Jack popped the samosa into his mouth and grinned, wondering who he’d be having a beer with – Doc Frosty, the Doc or Miranda?

Last edited:
By the time Jack returned, Miranda had cooled somewhat and wasn't as angry as she had been. If anything, she was more embarrassed at having overreacted, at a party no less. While she was fairly certain that others had been laughing, they'd probably been laughing at the German's antics rather than how Miranda had gotten soaked. She wasn't the only one, as Jack had pointed out, so it wasn't like the man had been trying to make her look foolish. No, you did that all by yourself, she thought bitterly. Why in the hell did I even come?

But she knew the answer to that, and the consequences of ignoring a highly-trained spy that had enough blackmail material to ruin her career, if not her entire life. Her thumb rubbed idly at one of the scars on her wrist as she waited. She'd done plenty of stupid things in her life, but nothing compared to what Carson held over her head. Until she found a way to fully placate the man, she was stuck. Sighing, she turned as Jack opened the door, gladly accepting the towel he'd brought her.

Turning her head to one side, she began to rub her hair vigorously through the cloth to help absorb some of the water. Doing so gave her a clear view of Jack as he stripped to the waist. The rubbing slowed as she stared, taking the opportunity to ogle him without him noticing, letting her eyes wander over his muscular body. She saw naked men and women on a daily basis, but this... this was different. Jack was in shape, for one, and his body well defined by years of training and exercise -- nothing like the ordinary patients that came into the clinic. It was like getting her own private strip tease, and her fingers itched from wanting to see if those muscles were as firm as they looked. Licking her lips, she suddenly found herself very thirsty -- in more ways than one.

When Jack pulled his undershirt back on, Miranda finally realized how long she'd been staring and turned her attention elsewhere. He'd be disappointed if he wanted the same show. She wasn't about to strip just to dry off. To do that, she'd have to take her entire jumpsuit off, and she didn't fancy sitting around in his truck in public in nothing but her bra and underwear. Of course, both were more material than some of the girls in the pool had been wearing, but it still felt inappropriate. Instead, she folded the towel after drying her hair and slid it under her butt so that she wouldn't get Jack's seat too wet.

Lifting the beer, she took a long drink, cutting her eyes as Jack when she finally swallowed. "You shouldn't be talking about my weight at all. It's rude. You're going to give me an eating disorder." She was half joking, but the delivery was deadpan. Reaching for one of the samosas, she nibbled at one corner to test the flavor. "Besides, I'm wearing black, and you can't see anything. If it was a real wet t-shirt contest, your tongue would be on the ground like that cartoon wolf that just spotted sexy red riding hood."

Jack smiled when he realized Doc Frosty was gone and he was talking to Miranda again, maybe with a little regular Doc still mixed in. “Rude? And here I thought I was being charming instead. But okay, if it really bugs you I’ll knock it off; the last thing we need is for you to turn into a crazy person. I mean, you’re already a little nuts as it is, being out here and all, so why push it.” Jack sipped a little of his beer then addressed Miranda’s other comment. “And yeah, I imagine if I did see you in a wet t-shirt, or a sexy Red Riding Hood costume, my eyes probably would pop out of my head on a couple of wiggly springs.” Jack paused before he grinned and added “But uh, for future reference, I’d be willing to take that risk.”

Jack folded up the towel he’d used and put it up on the dash in front of Miranda. “This one’s also damp, but I’m done with it if you get cold or just want to dry off a little more.” Then he turned the engine over and started the AC, but kept the temperature setting as warm as it would go, in hopes that some cool, dry air would make them a little more comfortable. “If that ends up being too cold, just turn it off if you want.”

Jack had another samosa as he settled back a bit and looked at Miranda. Her hair did look like she’d just gotten out of the shower, but otherwise he thought she really looked great, all things considered. A light down the street illuminated the truck cab a bit and he could see her big brown eyes sparkling with all their usual intelligence and moxie. And the muscles between her brows and around those beautiful eyes seemed relaxed for a change, like Miranda was feeling happy and carefree. That made Jack think back for a sec, and he remembered something Miranda had said just a few minutes ago.

“So before, when you were uh … venting, did I hear you right when you said you came here to see me and not anyone else? Or was that just, uh … a slip of the tongue, because you were still kind of upset?”

Miranda hadn't meant to say it, and should have probably lied about it, but she doubted he'd believe her. No, he'd probably just tease her mercilessly and pester her about it until she admitted the truth. After finishing the samosa, she wiped her fingers on the towel beneath her, pointedly not looking at him. Instead, she retrieved her clutch, which thankfully was made of a pseudo leather material and hadn't been saturated by water. Drawing out a folded piece of paper, she offered him the list of names she'd compiled.

"I mean, I wanted to touch base with Aldo, but I primarily came to give you this. You ran out on me last night before I could pass it to you, which was probably lucky in your case, else you might have earned yourself a slap for your cheek." She waved the paper at him. "Better we do this in private, anyhow. The less people that know about our... arrangement... the better."

Sliding out of her heels, she pulled her feet up beneath her to make herself more comfortable and then leaned closer to the car's vent, combing her fingers through her hair in front of the warm air. She wasn't chilled, for the Nigerian nights could still sometimes be hot and muggy, but she'd rather not have damp hair or clothes. Neither were very comfortable.

"Did you happen to meet Aldo's girlfriend?" she asked, watching him as she dried her hair.

Jack took the piece of paper from Miranda, glanced at the names, and put the little note up on the dash where it’d stay dry. Then he looked at the Doc and grinned. “That’s what cheeks are made for, right? To be … slapped. Luckily for me though, mine are naturally armored.” Jack brushed the backs of his fingers over his whiskers a couple of times as he said the last.

Jack had a sip of beer before he answered Miranda’s question. “Naomi? Yeah. I thought she was cute and seemed like a great match for Aldo. But she didn’t seem to like me all that much; he said she was from Addis and, well folks from this continent generally aren’t big fans of contractors. Plus, the little bit about her boyfriend almost getting blown up while he was out with me … well technically us, but mainly me … last week might not have exactly … endeared me to her. But I still liked her. Did you meet her? I bet you two would get along just fine.”

Jack had another samosa and another sip of his Castle before he looked back at Miranda. “You know, you could have just called Aldo; I did send you his number after all. And you could have just texted me these names.” Jack tapped the paper on the dashboard, then paused before he went on. “There’s nothing wrong with admitting you came out tonight to see … us. I mean sure, sitting home alone in your bed on a Saturday night, with your medical journals to keep you company, is probably a lot of fun. But being with other people can sometimes be fun too. Even if most of us supposedly don’t like you.” Jack had a little more of his beer before he added “I’m not shy about admitting I was hoping you’d come by tonight, so I could see you again.”

Jack looked out the windshield at the light down the road, before he turned back to Miranda and glanced down at her delicate fingers. Then he held out his own big, calloused hands towards her, palms up as he said “Your hands look cold. Why don’t you give me one, so I can warm you up?”

"Very smooth," she said wryly with a glance at his open hands. "What are you going to do next? Yawn, stretch, and casually drape your arm over my shoulders?" Still, he had a point, and he wasn't wrong. She kept one hand to comb through her hair, which was slowly beginning to dry, but she placed the other in his hand. Her fingers were long, delicate, and soft as they brushed against his skin. Miranda's eyes lifted briefly to seek his gaze as she felt a slight tingle of a new connection and the corresponding lurch in her abdomen. Somehow, it wasn't like holding the hand of a patient. The contact was too... charged.

"You're right. I could have called Aldo or just texted you, but I'm trying to make an effort to.... ah... I don't know. Connect, maybe? To make friends? It's stupid, I guess, because I'm rather bad at it. This... this was too much, I think. Too much chaos. I like to be in control, and I can't control that." Her chin jutted towards the general direction of the party. "It's different than the clinic. The clinic is chaotic, but I have control over it all. Emergencies arise and we jump in to handle them. Even out in the field, when the bullets are flying, I have control over my little portion of the mission. I have goals to focus on, like stopping the bleeding. I have lives to save and no time to focus on the inherent danger or dwell on what else might happen."

"Here, in a place like this with all of that going on... it fills me with anxiety and nervousness. I don't know what's going to happen, and can't stop it when it does. I don't really know anyone, and don't want to look stupid in front of strangers, so I can't really relax and enjoy myself."

She sighed. "If you haven't guessed, I'm not the most spontaneous person in the world. I don't care for surprises. I need a plan."

Jack grinned at Miranda as she called him on his offer, but he was actually quite sincere about it. So as she started talking he gently rubbed her hand between his, like you see people do in old movies to “restore someone’s circulation.” But Jack didn’t stop once he’d gotten Miranda’s hand warmed up and instead just transitioned into giving her a hand massage while he listened to her; “Let me know if this is too firm” was the only thing he said, in a gap between the Doc’s initial words.

First Jack gently massaged the muscles around Miranda’s palm, giving the base of her thumb a little extra attention, before he started tracing little circles over her palm itself, tenderly stimulating all the little nerve endings that lay so close to the surface there. After that he more firmly caressed her fingers and thumb from base to tip, before he softly pushed on each of her fingertips and very gently pinched the soft web between each of her fingers. He finished up by massaging the sensitive little notch below the base of her palm, right where her hand connected to her wrist and he also ran his fingertips lightly over the scar on her wrist a couple of times, up and back. The whole massage took only a few minutes and he sat there holding her soft, warm hand in his as he listened to the rest of her thoughts.

“I don’t think it was stupid at all. Sure this whole party wasn’t your thing; I kind of worried it wouldn’t be, as soon as I saw how it was going. But that’s not your fault; at least you came out and tried. This place, Maiduguri, isn’t a good place to be alone. Hopefully you met a few people tonight who you might want to see again, in a setting that’s better for you. Naomi seemed nice like I said, and I hope you got to meet Jelena too; I could also see you getting along with her. But even if you didn’t, just coming out tonight sounds like a win to me.” Jack grinned. “And heck, maybe I should go back, find that dopey German and thank him. If he hadn’t gotten us both soaked, you probably would have run off in five minutes, instead of sitting here with me while we dry off.”

Jack placed Miranda’s hand into her lap and then held out his palms again. “Okay Doc, I know you’re a surgeon, so we have to keep both those healing hands of yours limber and supple. Plus I don’t want the other one to feel jealous. Other hand.”

Last edited:
Miranda found it difficult to concentrate while Jack massaged. Her thoughts and gaze drifted to him far too often as she imagined those strong hands easing away the tension in her shoulders and back after a long day at the clinic. When he finally released her hand, it was warm and tingling from the stimulation. She opened and closed it a few times, marveling at how any lingering ache had been driven away. Like the dog that had learned how to wheedle a treat from its owner, she was quick to accept the offer of another massage, offering her other hand without any of the usual snarky comments.

She had to shift her body toward him to extend her arm fully. Resting her side against the back of the seat, she propped her elbow up on the edge and rested her face in her hand. As he worked, she freely studied his expression and allowed her gaze to wander the length of his form. "I've worked with Jelena, so I know that she's a nice person, even if she's a bit bossy at times. It helps her get the job done, though. Naomi was nice, as well, though I can tell she has some hangups about what's been going on here, especially with your group. She doesn't seem to like mercenaries very much. I think Also exaggerates a bit too much, but that probably comes with being an artist, so I tried to set the record straight about what really happened on our trip. I hope it helped. These people need to know that your lot is here to help, not to terrorize."

"You're very good at that," she finally said, commenting on the way he used his hands. "Do you often give women hand massages in the cab of your truck at night when they've fled from social activity that most would consider a fun time?"

Back
Top Bottom