Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Full Story: Hearts of Darkness (w. ShadowOfDesire)

Jack knocked on the door to Dieter’s office but then pushed it open before his OC could answer; besides the massive hangover he had, he couldn’t see the point in bothering with formalities anymore.

Jack’s soon to be ex-boss was sitting at his desk sipping Klippies and Coke and smoking a cigarette; he didn’t give Jack any shit for not waiting for permission to enter, and just pushed the bottle and a glass across the table.

After Jack poured himself a double he looked over at Dieter. “So it’s true then?”

“Indeed it is Jackie my boy. We’re done. It was the expose in The Guardian that did it. We have two days to clear out; the Nigerians will take care of all the equipment and gear.” Dieter sipped at his drink. “I hope you saved some of your pay, because all Abuja is giving us is the flight to Lagos; after that you’re on your own.” Dieter waved away Jack’s protest. “And I had to fight for even that. But flights out of here are expensive and as far as those fokkers are concerned, we’re done.”

Jack processed that bit of news but wasn’t all too worried about it. Instead he asked “How about the talk of a World Court investigation?”

Dieter laughed. “Not a chance Jackie. The powers that be want us gone before the next election, but they’ll never let the UN in here to sniff around; they know the hounds will just eventually follow the trail back to Abuja.” Dieter refilled his glass. “We’re just temporarily out of work, that’s all.”

Both men drank in silence for a bit as the sun sank below the horizon and Dieter’s office darkened. Then the Afrikaner veteran spoke up. “I’m sorry about your doctor friend.” He looked at a photo on his desk. “My wife has been with me for thirty-one years. But she’ll still be surprised to see me back home so soon.”

“No worries Boss. Wasn’t your fault.”

The office was almost completely dark when Dieter finally spoke up again. “Have you ever been to the Congo Jackie? Valeriy says there’s a mining consortium there, based out of Brussels, that’s having some problems with … bandits. Looking for a bit of help …” Dieter raised an eyebrow.

“Always have an escape plan Boss?”

“It’s a shitty world we live in Jackie.”

Neither man thought that was very funny, but they both laughed anyway …

---

From the audio commentary to the Director’s Cut of Hearts of Darkness:

Deep Voiced Announcer Guy: “So one last question. Some fans have asked if any of Hearts was autobiographical. How would you respond to that?”

(Sound of laughter.)

greybishop: “The same way my mother used to answer me when I was a kid, and I asked her a tough question. Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies.

(Pause.)

(Sound of ice cubes in a glass.)

greybishop: “One tip they often give to new authors, is to write about what they know.”

(Pause.)

greybishop: “I think that’s good advice.”

End audio commentary.

Back
Top Bottom