Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Planeshift Zendikar 5e interest check

east

Supernova
Welcome to Zendikar

tumblr_pmu6rh5qlj1w7hzz2_1280.jpg

Zendikar is an ancient world, the land is for the most part rich with magic. The land is ancient scattered with signs of civilizations that came before, but now only small settlements no larger than small towns remain. It has been a long time since cities have stood on Zendikar's surface, and the majority of the people know only stories and oral histories of what came before.

Zendikar_gods.jpg
The predominant religion of zendikar speaks of 3 ancient gods who helped to shape the world. Ulma of the sea, Cosi from the mountains, and Emrie queen of the sky have become fables and legends. The warrior gods that could shape the very wrold around them have worked their way into stories for children.

once upon a time grand churches and statues of the three were constructed to aid in worship, but as the land shifted and broke apart many of these structures became abandoned. With the gods mostly lost to time most villages rely on story tellers, and few clerics help to keep the memories of these great gods alive.

It has been said that when the time is right these titans would return. Though now most shrines dedicated to them have fallen into ruin, and much of their stories have become eroded to time.

Life on Zendikar is a dangerous one. Because of this populations tend to remain small. Technology on Zendikar hasn't advanced very far. Mostly because Zendikar is a world filled with large predators, and terrifying drops. However, ancient tombs litter the surface of Zendikar, ancient and complex civilziations that came before, ranging from wildly complex, to city structures, and of course Zendikar's most famous structures.

The Hedrons are ancient constructs of wild magic, that are said to be the source of the distortions. Creating the strange floating islands of Zendikar, no one really remembers why they were made, or put into place, but each is a tomb of ancient knowledge. They range in size from massive temples that a person or group of people could walk through, to a simple time capsule of knowledge that could fit into a persons hand.

It was said that Emrie had them made so that people could be closer to her domain in the sky. Helping to lift the civilizations off the ground and away from the dangerous predators that roam the surface of Zendikar.

What is known is that they are great sources of energy, often villages will come to use a close by hedron as a sort of magical generator, helping to provide things like, light, water, and power. However the power stored in a hedron is not limitless, and many villages have learned too late that they have taken too much from the artifact, sending the hedron, and all that it was lifting down to the ground below.
bastien-lecouffe-deharme-hedron-step-04.jpg

and lastly there are the places where people do not exist, and no one dares goes. The surface of Zendikar is a dangerous place frought with ancient life, and deadly predators, but upon leaving the planes, and forests there is a darker place. Where the magic of this fertile world is distorted and corrupted. Twisted through unknown means.

0fe16be4bb0b4f9f6d2e07935ceced94.jpg
These are the wastes, cold, barren stretches of land where nothing grows, littered with ash and unstable land. No one is exactly sure what made these. One story says that Cosi, and Ulma once had an arguement and the wastes were a result of their conflict.

To cut out all the fancy in game talk of the pitch. I'm gonna be running the planeshift zendikar pamflit with a few of my own tiwsts and turns. I'm still looking on exactly how I want to run this, but I do know that actual races suggested in the 12 page 'book' are... well kinda dumb. A 30 feet climbing speed on the Kor is kinda gross, so I wanted to change a few things up. Links are to various resources.

starting races:

Goliath (Honestly this is how I would see the Kor)
Elves (honestly i'd accept any of the subraces except for Drow as their is no under dark. I linked to the wood elf subrace because considering the amount of forestry and foliage I think these would be the most appropriate versions for the setting.)
Aarakocra (while not a perfect native to the world, I kinda want to see how this would work out, I see these guys as being a bit rare)
Human
Goblins (volo's guide for goblins)
Triton (again i think the merfolk of zendikar are a bit over powered, the tritons of volo's guide make more sense to me)

I'm probably also gonna make some backgrounds for this, and if you want to play a race that isn't on the list talk to me, as long as it is from a published book i'd probably allow it. And the other PHP races are all fine as well.

I'm down. Will you be using the Variant Human as an option? Also, when do you want us to discuss class choices?

Is this the same Zendikar that is in Magic: the Gathering?

I would be interested in this. I think that would be all that needs to be said at this point, yes?

@Azure-Yuki I think I will be starting off with people at level 3, and I will accept pretty much any classes, I just wanted to try and do something a bit more fitting for the races.

@freeko Yes, this is mtg Zendikar, I used a lot of the art, and the names, but if you didn't know Planeshift is an actual suplement put out by Wizards of the coast after they aquired D&D.

A lot of this stuff was taken from the written suplement found here https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf the main issue I have with it, is that the thing is a lot more op, and doesn't give a lot of good adventure ideas so it comes with a lot of homebrew that has to be done.

@east Sounds good to me. This sounds like a world ripe with wilderness exploration and dangerous creatures. So the Wood Elf Ranger is calling out to me because I am a basic bitch. :p

I have no real experience with 5e, but plenty with dnd in general. The current home game we are doing is based off of Pathfinder, called Legend of the Shining Jewels.

Either way, I feel this should not be all that difficult to pick up since I have been reading into 5e over the last week or so given that there have been a high number of games that want to use it.

Is there anything different for a Cleric in this setting that I would need to know about? That is what I am likely going to look at for my character.

@Azure-Yuki if you plan on using a ranger, please use the Revised Ranger I find it fixes a lot of the balancing issues that rangers had out of the base version, they had very sharp decline in damage, and their abilities were clunky where i find this fixes a lot of those issues.

@freeko Tell me what domain you would like to use as a cleric and I will try to work out the gods. Unlike say Theros (a dimension that has a clear pantheon) or some of the more standard positions a lot of Zendikar divine magic is based around worship of old and forgotten gods. (Ulma, Emrie, Cosi) gods that have a lot less defined features. I also think that clerics would be the oral story tellers. As this world has no current written history a lot of the world is based around oral story telling and old ways.

When it comes to clerics, think about them more as shaman and which doctors in shiny clothes rather than taught and proper clerics.

Oh wow. You want me to use the Revised version? I was gonna go with PHB version as I've used both in the past but alrighty. I'm ok with a buff.

Well, I think with where my character would be, the Life domain looks like the clear choice. I plan on going more along the 'I'm the healer' route, though it looks like I can get in and get my hands dirty in combat all the same with a mace and shield.

Well, I think with where my character would be, the Life domain looks like the clear choice. I plan on going more along the 'I'm the healer' route, though it looks like I can get in and get my hands dirty in combat all the same with a mace and shield.
I can grab Cure Wounds to assist in the healing.

I would be interested in this. I'm a bit confused though since I'm kinda new to DnD but have enough experience to know the rules and stuff. Is this DnD 5E or another system? I have some ideas of what to play but I will wait for your answer before asking PC related questions.

I'd be very interested in this. I've never done anything close to dnd, but always wanted to try it out. So much love for mtg so count me in! Not sure if I want to be a mage or a warrior as of yet. Elf or Human is so up there, bah so is Kor hehe.

I would be interested in this. I'm a bit confused though since I'm kinda new to DnD but have enough experience to know the rules and stuff. Is this DnD 5E or another system? I have some ideas of what to play but I will wait for your answer before asking PC related questions.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is DnD 5e but just a particular setting.

The game rules are most certainly 5e. It looks like we have 4-5 interested players so i will put up a character creation thread and ooc thread today.

@freeko clerics are very good in combat.

@ZRS this is a dnd 5e game, just using one of the early published modules for a setting.

@apollo247 welcome to the expedition team! Im glad to hear that you like the choice of setting and if you need help with character creation please feel free to pm me with any questions.

Still looking for more, or would this party be full about now?

@Saber Arturia Welcome aboard.

and for everyone else as well

I made the character creation thread. I think we have enough to get people to start making characters.

Sorry to say but I think we have five and i'm holding a spot open for a close friend if she ever wants to jump in as well.

I'm more than happy to hear that there was a lot of interest in this because i have been thinking about this for a while. @ZRS @Azure-Yuki @Saber Arturia @freeko and @apollo247 I look forward to your characters.

Back
Top Bottom