Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does anyone else make playlists for characters/stories?

I usually always have a character theme song, and then I have a playlist for the character, as well, for while I’m roleplaying.
Their theme is usually something that’ll be a focal point for who they are as a person. I’ve used “Fine on the Outside” by Priscilla Ahn for one character who isn’t even fine on the outside, but he tries — which is what the song is about: the person is trying to hold themselves together. Then I have a variety of songs for them from 80’s music to classical, rock to Disney, and pop.

I even do playlists for books that I’m reading because sometimes, it actually helps me concentrate.

I have a lot of friends who do, but I usually have only a couple of songs that help me get into the mindset of a particular character. Otherwise, it's when a character of mine has developed a ship that I really put in the effort of making a playlist for them. I will say though, it is a lot of fun, and quite rewarding.

I don't make playlists per say, but I will often tailor what I am listening to for the RP I am writing.

I find it hard to listen to most music when writing. For me, it has to be lyricless music to really be able to focus on writing. The moment vocals kick in, my thoughts get way too cluttered.
That being said I've made a few playlists now and then but it's kind of rare!

I do something similar, but different. A lot of my characters are based off of songs, or concepts presented in songs. Sometimes to the degree that the character's name is the song title. To go even further, I am sometimes driven to make plots out of the story told in some songs.

When I was heavy into writings Ed Edd 'n Eddy fanfiction, I actually had a playlist for each Ed:

Ed was basically just various forms of rock and metal

Edd was a mix of orchestral, classical, electronic, and "artsy" music.

Eddy was all Jazz, Electronica, Lounge, Nu-Disco and other music you'd hear in a Bond film, or a heist movie.

I haven't done it again in a while, but certain characters definitely have a more define genre. There's one who likes Djent/Progressive Metal, Industrial, etc. Another who's into Hip-Hop, particularly Boom-Bap. One's into Jazz and Electronica, and it goes on like that.

Almost without fail. It is an actual sickness. I've even gone so far as to make up a play list of songs that remind me of the character and then an IC play list of their favorite songs. Some times there's cross over, sometimes not.

Long time ago I used to pick songs/themes for certain characters. But really not so much anymore.

Not playlists though.

I love making playlists for certain characters. I don't do this for all my characters. It depends on how good the story is.

I've made a playlist for darker/erotic themes, but never for one character specifically. Also, I tend to listen to music when brainstorming ideas, but not when I'm actually writing - I find it too distracting when I'm trying to focus

I sometimes like to incorporate music into my RPs, to set the tone for things, but not always.

I don't have a playlist for characters. I might have certain songs that inspire while I am playing a certain type of character, very few are the ones that I listen to to boost just a select character.

I have a few songs for roleplaying involving cheating. Songs that blow up the culture of going behind your partner or spouse to get something you selfishly want. All the same there may be some action scenes in a western rp and there is just certain music that just flows better and allows me to describe movement so much smoother. Allows me to work better camera angles if that makes sense.

Lately, one of my characters that I developed is quite into dance and the whole dance club scene. It helps to have music on that she may be dancing to, or playing in the background to help me determine just how much her body might be bouncing, or her head bobbing as the music is electric and loud. It also allows me to have her yell constantly, as in a dance club, you basically have to yell in someone's ear to say hi.

Lastly, I generally cannot write while listening to a song WITH LYRICS. I've been getting better, but sometimes if a song is tuning me in, I cannot write if the artist is saying words while I am trying to write. It's much improved, and I will learn to work around it.

Never entire playlists; I'll listen to songs that help me focus or are closely linked to the worlds I'm writing in.

i.e. Tifa's Theme on loop if I'm writing my Cloud for a partner's impeccable Tifa.

I definitely do. I have playlists for all my D&D characters, and for some of my FFXIV characters too.

Oh absolutely! And I make my partners playlists and share songs that remind me of the rp all the time, too! I even make in-game playlists—playlists my character was listening to during certain scenes where there's music involved.

Here's an example:

And one I made for a partner and me:

And here's an in-game one:

Yes, I love to! When I have a particularly wonderful combo of partner + plot (it's honestly like an RP unicorn for me these days where both pan out...) then I tend to make up a Spotify list or I share songs with my partners directly / add mood music to my scenes. I'm the same way about giving my posts a bit of eye candy flair, too.

I recently made my first-ever RP playlist in honor of the mains! Though I have been known to send songs to partners that remind me of our characters.

Back
Top Bottom