Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's your favorite fantasy book?

Kreatin

Planetoid
For me, it'd probably be The Way Of Kings. Sanderson is one of my favorited when it comes to writing fantasy. I love the magic system ( not as much as Mistborn) and the extensive worldbuilding. If you haven't read it, I'd definitely recommend!

All Tolkien, duh. XD But after that, Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series and Robert A. Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land"

I love that book. You grok me?

I’ll read almost any fantasy book as long as it’s entertaining. I honestly didn’t enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series as much as the show, but they were pretty good.

When I was younger, I really loved the Chronicles of Narnia...but then I learned how Jesus-y they are.

I really love Tigana.

Don’t know that I can choose an actual favorite...

I would like to grok you, though I cant claim to "get you" or understand you so fully as to become you and you me. But I would say by the look of your profile and f-list (yes, i peeked) the journey there might prove quite pleasant. Share water? or perhaps an RP to start? :0)
Google the definition of 'grok' and you'll probably go off like I did about how wrong they got it. They very irony was not lost upon me. SPOILER: Also if you're not into stuff being Jesus-y, I suggest you may wish to skip ever researching the Gnostic Teachings of Christ (read: much less dogmatically religious, much more mystically spiritual) or some of what Heinlein, himself, was researching for what I consider was his masterpiece.

I loved GoT and unfortunately tried to pick up Song after watching GoT and hearing Martin say he was trying to do what Tolkein did, attract readers by building an entire world full of detail. It came off to me at that point as merely creating detail for the sake of detail. Detail seeks meaning and meaning seeks detail.

Also, I see your signature quotes the Queen. Sweet.

My Favorite complete series is The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. However right now I am looking foward for more from the Arcane Ascension Series so I am trying to get Sufficiently Advanced Magic some more love as the magic system in that world I really like.

If I do not see more here I will just post a list of awesome series cause love spreading the love here.

Probably something Discworld. I'd say Snuff, Thud!, Raising Steam, and Guards, Guards! would be among my favorites. Basically all of the Night's Watch books for that matter.

Such a shame that we lost Sir Terry, I was so curious to see how the Disc would change in the future but... well it's for the best that they ended the series. Nobody could do it better than him.

Michael Moorcock's wonderfully anti-Tolkein multiverse stuff seems to have fallen out of favour at the moment, I think that's a shame.

I really enjoyed the Wheel if time Series when I was younger. I don’t know if it holds up now, but I really liked Abarat by Clive Barker. It was a lot of wackiness with hints of eldritch horror. Not near so long as Wheel if time or Discworld though... That said, he’s supposed to make a fourth book sometime.

Hard to pick one, but if I really had to choose, I'd go with "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. Le Guin. It's a great start for the great series.

The Second Coming of Gluttony by Ro Yu-Jin (Though almost caught up to the ENG released translations so far on a Wuxia novel site.)

Also The Godsfall Chronicles(Or Fallen God Chronicles depending on translation) by Half Drunk Wanderer (Or Tipsy Wanderer depending on translation) is pretty good. (Obvious another Wuxia translated series.)

Michael Moorcock's wonderfully anti-Tolkein multiverse stuff seems to have fallen out of favour at the moment, I think that's a shame.
I do like Morecock. I learned about him when I got a magazine at a garage sale called The Best of Science Fantasy. It had excerpts of various Fantasy and science fiction stories in it. Also learned of Glen Cook and The Black Company, the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erickson, and Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Last edited:
Surprisingly it's already mentioned, but hands down the whole Malazan Book of the Fallen, all ten of them, by Steven Erikson (hardly surprising with my s/n)

Worthy of a mention: Ian C. Esslemont (also in the Malaz realms). Jacqueline Carey, K. Arsenault Rivera, Mervyn Peake, Clive Barker (when's the third Arabat coming?)

And on the other end of the scale. Worst fantasy writer (even though the two books he's written are fabulous, but it was meant to be a trilogy) Patrick Rothfuss. And worst fantasy series, by far, Gor! That's the books, dear folk, not the world itself. The readers and online Goreans have made it so much better.

Back
Top Bottom