Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How Long Does it Take you to Write a Post?

Jazzi

Singing the Doom Song
To clarify, I mean specifically in terms of time spent, not the number of days that have passed before you got your reply to your partner. How many minutes or hours do you typically spend writing a post to a roleplay?

I ask this because I feel like I am just a dreadfully slow writer, and want to know if I am alone or not. My posts are usually 500 words long ( 4-6 paragraphs ) sometimes more if I'm really going. I think the reason that I am slow is one part perfectionism, and other wanting to improve and practice my writing. So I tend to try my hardest with every post that I do, and that slows me down a lot when I'm being meticulous.

So please I'm curious, how long do you spend writing your posts? It would also be helpful if you stated your word count or number of paragraphs for reference! Thanks!

Actually time spent typing? 20 to 45 minutes, but upto an hour or two if its a really long or involed post. But i tend to prcrstinate bad most of the time, so i write a line or two and then scroll on twitter or fb, then come back and write another line or two.

Depends on how long is the post I'm responding to. Also how much I keep rereading the other post and thinking of my response... XD and then how many times I repost and add on it making it longer and longer… so... between 10 minutes to... several days when a post researches its finale form.

Interesting! Thanks for the responses so far guys, its fun reading how you all go about your writing!

The time tends to vary depending on how long the post is. I tend to reread it and spend some time thinking of a response, and that sometimes turns into a cycle until I eventually get a reply done. So, there's not really any general timeframe for me to reply to a post. It just happens when it happens.

Writing is not hard, editing and making sure it fits in a narrative - that's the problem. So it can take anywhere between 10 minutes to 2 days for me :)

Depends, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 20-30. It depends on plot and what is happening at the time in the story. Sometimes I have to think about things more than other times. I generally write 2-4 paragraphs depending on what is needed.

Luckily when I do have an idea going I can type fast so it does reduce time.

I always obsessively try to get every little detail right, so I often lose myself in research, turning what should be a fifteen minute write up into nearly an hour long ordeal.

15 minutes for several paragraphs. I write professionally, always under deadline, revise on the fly and afterwards once or twice. Never suffer writers block because I can't afford the luxury. There's nothing that can't be researched or faked within that time.

10ish minutes a paragraph, on average. That said, I have a bad habit of sending off a post and then looking at it and realizing I missed 3 or 4 errors in it. Sometimes a line just doesn't flow right. My head can get in a tizzy if I'm turned on by someone else's writing too, and this can make things increasingly difficult in the best of ways, but it makes me bad for my partners. I've never had anyone complain though, the errors are minor, but I still look at them and know I can do better. But I already feel pressured to churn things out, so I rarely take the time to take five minutes away from a writing in order to come back and look at it fresh to catch the errors.

Last edited:
it takes me a few minutes to write out my typical response in length. five or so paragraphs.

Oof. This really depends on how easy it is for me to get into character for the post, how much I have to work with in response, if I'm multitasking as well, and if I'm just dead tired from the day.
But it can range from 45 minutes to about two hours, though it leans more towards an hour since I also proofread everything I write to make sure I'm not confusing whoever I'm roleplaying with.

Jeez, y'all make me feel like an amateur. It can take me four or five hours (with breaks) in the beginning of an RP to write two to six solid, descriptive (long) paragraphs - especially if my partner hasn't been that detailed in what she wants - even longer, if RPing with multiple partners. I put a lot of creative thought and energy and care into crafting my stories. I tend to let the writing come to me, as I do with my music. I let it simmer within, letting it build itself up, adding detail after detail until it becomes a living entity of its own, bursting forth screaming for release. Then, I simply write it down as it pours down onto the page. I'll do actual research and constantly refer to her F-List, letting that add more inspiration and build more detail. I'll sit and read and reread it to feel the flow of it, adding and subtracting, as needed or adding more that wants to be included. Then I edit and re-edit, taking care of grammar, who/m's and dangling participles, etc.
Then, after I get the nerve to Send, I'll reread it as if they are and then add more, desperately typing away to get it all in by the time the 30-minute time limit expires.
It's not so bad once once the RP is out of its infancy and I know in my heart and in my head what my partner likes, loves and responds to - perhaps an hour or more, mostly in editing. And less, in subsequent stories. Even less, once I know my partner/s well and all I need to go on is a few parameters, such as ages, sexes, location/s and situation.
(It took me nearly an hour to write this.)

Jeez, y'all make me feel like an amateur. It can take me four or five hours (with breaks) in the beginning of an RP to write two to six solid, descriptive (long) paragraphs - especially if my partner hasn't been that detailed in what she wants - even longer, if RPing with multiple partners. I put a lot of creative thought and energy and care into crafting my stories. I tend to let the writing come to me, as I do with my music. I let it simmer within, letting it build itself up, adding detail after detail until it becomes a living entity of its own, bursting forth screaming for release. Then, I simply write it down as it pours down onto the page. I'll do actual research and constantly refer to her F-List, letting that add more inspiration and build more detail. I'll sit and read and reread it to feel the flow of it, adding and subtracting, as needed or adding more that wants to be included. Then I edit and re-edit, taking care of grammar, who/m's and dangling participles, etc.
Then, after I get the nerve to Send, I'll reread it as if they are and then add more, desperately typing away to get it all in by the time the 30-minute time limit expires.
It's not so bad once once the RP is out of its infancy and I know in my heart and in my head what my partner likes, loves and responds to - perhaps an hour or more, mostly in editing. And less, in subsequent stories. Even less, once I know my partner/s well and all I need to go on is a few parameters, such as ages, sexes, location/s and situation.
(It took me nearly an hour to write this.)

When I first started RP'ing on sites like this I had a partner who would write 6-12 paragraphs per post. They would often complain about trying to keep up the pace as they had several RP's going and would write the same amount for all of them.

What I started to notice though is a lot of the detail they were adding was pointless and irrelevant to the story. Also a lot of their post was made up of just rehashing/reflecting on what I just wrote. In the end you could have easily cut down his workload by 60% if these things were omitted.

Just what I thought about when I read your post.

When I first started RP'ing on sites like this I had a partner who would write 6-12 paragraphs per post. They would often complain about trying to keep up the pace as they had several RP's going and would write the same amount for all of them.

What I started to notice though is a lot of the detail they were adding was pointless and irrelevant to the story. Also a lot of their post was made up of just rehashing/reflecting on what I just wrote. In the end you could have easily cut down his workload by 60% if these things were omitted.

Just what I thought about when I read your post.
that might be true were my details irrelevant. Every word pushes my story forward, detail for the sake of detail is trash, i agree

A lot of the partners I have post 5-12 paragraphs, so matching that can be anywhere from an hour if I'm struggling, or a day or two if the post is lengthy. I aim to paint with my words, so I will literly describe everything my characters see.

People don't RP with me if they don't like detailed, lengthy posts. That is the first part of my conversation with potential partners for me-- an understanding that I may be just too busy or roadblocked for ideas. I also try to switch up my verbage too so that I don't repeat myself too often.

Currently, as I get back into writing it's taking me 45 mins to write 4 paragraphs if I'm writing it straight, longer if I'm interrupted/distracted (which I usually am xD)

I think it varies based on persons style and skill. I used to have to type my posts in qord and paste them over being somewhere along the 2 page range in word. My times thought vatied from 45 minutes to several hours depending on the role play, the background, the sensational, the inspiration, etc.

Wow. Some of you guys sound like good partners putting so much into your posts.

For me, it takes me 9-45 min depending on the posts with proof reading. My creative juices are always flowing. I tend to lose interest when partners constantly take days to respond. It sort of kills the rp.

It really depends on my mood and my muse. If I am in a creative flow, it can be as little as 10 minutes for a well thought out few paragraphs. Other times it can be an hour or more while I work out the reply.

I usually clock in somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour as I like to take my time to make sure everything flows and lines up as best I can.

This thread shares new light on why some people take longer to reply.

Back
Top Bottom