Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Trapped Divinity (GuardianAngel x VerboseVillain)

VerboseVillain

Super-Earth
The night echoed with the sounds of blood and magic. Merok had spent weeks developing the summoning circle, months developing the trap. It'd taken countless years studying ancient tomes, forbidden manuscripts, and consulting dangerous spirits. He'd gathered farflung and rare reagents: a unicorn's tear, a virgin's tooth, basilisk tongue, and dragon hair. All for this moment.

Chanting the ancient language of the natural world, he summoned a forgotten goddess. "Nature, please hear my prayer! Earth, grant me my audience!" With willow bark and walnut, he entreated her. "Goddess, show yourself to this world once again! I am your humble servant, whose only desire is to see you once again!"

He whirled around the circle of stones on the ground, charging it with his will. The whole area thrummed in a shout directly at the goddess. Sigils glowed green in the night, pulling at her attention. Hidden in his brown robes, however, was his true intention. A collar made of golden fleece and leash made of Pegasus leather. The perfect way to subdue a goddess.

The Goddess in question was kneeling next to a young unicorn that had been caught in the trap laid down by hunters, who wished to do nothing more than claim its horn. The unicorn's thoughts were full of vengeance, and there was a strong want for getting back at the humans that had done this to her. But thankfully the kind-hearted goddess was assuring her that violence wasn't the path to take. Revenge wasn't the path to take either.

It wasn't long before her attention was turning towards something else and she was rising to her feet, her blonde hair swishing slightly as she did so. What was this strange feeling of being summoned? Most definitely strange considering, over the last millennium, she had become more of a forgotten goddess. The people of the world seemed to care less and less about the earth, which was obviously as trees were cut down left and right, lands were destroyed, pain that the young goddess felt constantly.

Her attention was most definitely peaked at actually being summoned, and it was actually herself that seemed to be getting called. The mother goddess of the earth itself. Not that one could truly tell that, after all she truly didn't act like she was a few eons old, nor did she look it at all. Appearance though, that was the benefits of being a goddess. She could appear however she wished.

In the end, she was deciding to answer this call. Her curiosity getting the best of her. This had the young dragon that she had founded a few months ago, giving a chirp before he was fluttering over to her. "I am going with you." the tiny creature spoke which had the goddess giving a soft smile, "Of course you are. Let us get going then, Nemoth."

Soon enough she was fading away, out of her realm and actually taking to answer the call of the human male. The first thing that he would see was the tiny winged creature that was spawning in, and chirping at him. Then the young goddess herself was appearing, her blue eyes just studying the human that was standing before her. A male by the looks of it.

Merok stood before her, grinning as she slowly appeared. He was tall, with wide sboulders, and a slightly wiry appearance. His life had largely been focused on the intellectual, which was obvious from his thin, arched cheekbones and rumpled black hair. His black eyes had a hungry madness to that only grew larger as she materialized.

"Oh yes, my queen. My goddess! You have answered my call, just like the Records of Divine Intervention said that you would. I have only one request." He stepped forward while she was still disoriented and cinched the collar around her neck. "Be mine forever."

The collar was designed to subvert divine power. The purity of the fleece would be soft, but wick away any projection of divine will. Instead, it'd be directed through the leather of thd leash, either to be grounded into the earth, or used by the leash-holder.

Merok's next movement was to make a low chant of wind magic, his hand making a claw at the small dragon. The wind cage would attempt to trap the tiny thing.

The goddess just listened to the man's words, although there was something in his tone of voice that told her that he was dangerous. But there was no getting out of that at that point in time, not considering this was more or less a summoning circle. Only after she had found out what was wanted, could she actually leave. She was tilting her head ever so slightly when he was stating that he had a request and before she could react, he was putting a collar around her neck. This had her reaching up as if to try and take it off, although quickly realized that there was no taking it off.

Her blue eyes were filled with slight fear at that point in time and she was speaking, her voice light and musical, "Nemoth! Flee!" This had the tiny creature looking towards her and the dragon was chirping, before taking off before it was enclosed in the wind cage. The goddess was just looking towards the human that stood before her, although there wasn't hatred in her eyes, no instead there was almost sadness.

Just another human that was corrupt with the want for power. That is how she saw humans that would take another as a... hostage she supposed would be the term at that point in time. Although despite the fact that this collar was around her neck, didn't necessarily mean that she needed to listen.

"You summoned me here, merely for your greed for power." Iona spoke after a moment in time, already feeling that her precious dragon had managed to get away. Although already some of the animals that were around had seemed to notice the arrival of the young goddess, and were already coming out of hiding to check it out.

His eyes roved over her figure. "It'd be wise not to presume my motives, although power is definitely one of my goals." He let his hand slide to the end of the leash. "But greed? Since when has more ever been the answer? Maybe that's enough for a peasant or a king, but I am a wizard."

Merlock walked away slightly and tugged on the leash. "The only thing that I would be greedy for is knowledge. And maybe something that you're more familiar with."

The wizard began to walk, not noticing the creatures gathering to gawk at the Nature Goddess. He was heading towards a simple dirt trail going through the forest. The leash grew taut between them.

Iona just listened to his words before she was speaking, "Then all you needed was to merely ask for my assistance, not decide to more or less enslave me." There was a slightly annoyed tone to her voice but that was about it. No anger, nothing of that sort. One would think she wasn't capable of really feeling anger at times, or if she did she was good at keeping it hidden. Sadness was a common thing, especially when she felt the life flicker from one of her precious children, any plant or animal that lived on the earth.

While she didn't want to follow him, it seemed like she didn't have much of a choice in the matter. She had to follow after him. With each step she made there seemed to be flowers that would grow under where she stepped, and as they walked into the forest, more animals seemed to come out of hiding.

There were a few birds that did take to fluttering over to her, chirping softly which just had her reaching her hand up towards them. One was landing on her hand, while another took to landing on her shoulder. They were quite talkative creatures that was for sure, as were all of the other animals that were around.

And they seemed a bit fearful for the young goddess. Honestly even Iona was afraid at that point in time. Probably because she had no idea what was going to happen next. What was this man even planning? "Out of all of the gods and goddesses. Why summon me if you were wanting knowledge. There are plenty of others that would be more useful in that endevour."

"You have no idea what I want, yet you still presume what I need." He chuckled as he walked. "You may be a goddess, but you are hardly omniscient."

Their path led them through the wood and over several rivers. This was a low-lying area, in truth, with floodways and meanders that constantly swapped course. The animals followed of course, but Merlock paid them no mind. He had a plan for them as well, and didn't have any qualms about innocent creatures being dragged into his use.

Soon, they came to a massive hillside. It was barren and blasted, with twisted structures of metal and bare sides of Earth. There'd be an ominous, polluted aura around the place, as if it had been exposed to torturous actions that rendered even the fertile soil dead and lifeless. "Ah, and now we come to the Ark. Nevermind the mess. It won't concern us long."

Iona just continued to follow after the man, although she didn't really say much of anything after that point in time. Nope she really didn't feel like speaking to the male at all. Hell she didn't really want to be around the male right now, but she didn't have a choice in the matter. How she hated this helpless feeling.

Eventually they came to a massive hillside, and she found herself just pausing mid-step, a faint shudder coming from her as she gazed around the barren and dead place. She was putting a slight hand to her lips before she was just shaking her head slightly. No stepping foot on that land, she could feel it almost weep in pain, which had her almost wanting to weep.

"What is this place...." she questioned in a low voice, her voice holding a hint of pain in it. Although while she didn't want to walk out onto the land, she did anyways. She would bring life back to this area, if she could anyways.

"It's my experiment grounds." He barely reacted to the sight of the place. "In my magical studies, some energies have proven themselves antithetical to life. An unfortunate sacrifice to my cause."

He stopped for a moment and looked at Iona. His brow furrowed thoughfully. "It might be benefical to see if you can repair this place. After all, it should be a scant challenge compared to what I have in store for you."

Iona just looked around for a moment in time, just kneeling down on the ground to touch it gently, as though it were breakable. No bringing life back to this place wouldn't be difficult at all, not for her. Once upon a time perhaps, when she had been learning her abilities, but now it just all happened naturally most of the time.

"And how would it benefit to bring back grounds, that you could just potentially kill all over again. These ground already weep in pain. They are already fearful of more pain." The goddess spoke in a soft voice, her hand gently stroking a flower that she had helped sprout. But it seemed to almost begin to wither right away. It withered out of fear, that is the strong emotion that it gave off.

"I won't be here forever." He smiled with a smarmy twist of his mouth. "Not long at all, if my plans for you pan out. So why don't you give it a try? For nature and all of that."

His eyes studied her carefully, as if noting everything that she was doing. Her gestures, their results. And he had to admit, how graceful her movements were.

Iona just looked towards him for a moment in time although she didn't say anything, just gently stroked the plant that had started to emerge from the ground. "And what plans are those." she spoke although she didn't look up from the ground at all. "No need to fear...." Iona whispered in a soft voice as she placed a palm flat on the ground. It seemed to take a moment but it wasn't long before she was looking up with a soft smile and withdrew her hand, a plant springing up beneath where her palm had been, and from there it just spread. The dead ground was becoming green with grass once again. The place blazed with life.

He nodded, admiring her ability. It was perfect. Exactly what he needed. She would do nicely.

"Excellent. So I think it is time to show you where we will be staying while we make preparations. It isn't too fancy, I'm afraid, but we shan't be here long." Merok tugged on the leash to encourage her to follow quickly.

He led her to a massive stone-lined archway that led underground. Inside was a long hall leading up to a brass door. He pressed his palm against the door and said a few magic words. Then he pushed it open to reveal a sumptuous home underground.

Plush carpet covered the floors. Crystal chandeliers lit up the hallways. And all around the glint of gold leaf tracing lines across the walls. "I know it's a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure a diety such as yourself can tell that it is all an illusion. Just something to boost morale while I work."

"Preparations for what exactly?" Iona questioned, although she was almost afraid to actually know the answer. In the end she was getting to her feet to follow after him, figuring that it was just easier to follow after than potentially being dragged along. Literally.

She was following him down into some underground chamber, which just had her looking around for a brief moment in time. No she could tell that it was an illusion, she could see through the illusion, but for the part that didn't bother her at all. Most people would dislike being underground, but she had no problem with it whatsoever. No at that point in time, it made her feel a bit more secure, a bit safer.

Iona wrapped her arms around herself lightly, her blonde hair just falling over her shoulders. No the only overwhelming thing was not knowing what he wanted. Not that she was really paying attention to the room for long, nope she was turning around rather quickly to look towards the entrance. She could sense Nemoth nearby. But she could also feel those that enjoyed hunting the supernatural nearby as well.

"How does this world now.... treat the supernatural creatures? Are the caught and sold in those horrible black markets? Or are they just slaughtered right away?" Iona questioned, although there was a slight quiver in her voice. No she was scared for her precious pet at that point in time, and while she wanted to reach out to her, she wasn't sure if she would be safer up there with them or down here with this human.

Merok's satisfied smile turned to a frown. "This world does not deserve supernatural creatures. Does not appreciate the supernatural at all."

He'd spent years wandering, trying to find a place that needed his magical skills. None did. Everywhere, thoughts of science were taking over. There was no more need for spells or rituals. Supernatural creatures were routinely hunted down and eradicated as dangers to human society. But he had found someplace else that could use the supernatural.

He finally led her into a set of chambers. These weren't nearly as empty, with simple furniture bespelled to match the sumptuous furnishings. A small spring in the back formed a pool for bathing. "This will be your suite for now. Feel free to rest and freshen up. Think about who you would say goodbye to. We have a long way to go tomorrow." He got her into the room and then locked the door behind her, using a sigil that lit up patterns that went all around the room. If any supernatural creatures went up against it, they'd find a magical barrier specifically built to detain them.

Iona just looked over towards him for a brief moment in time although she felt a slight pang in her heart when she heard that. No, while she was on that plane.... she was going to make the most of it. Those were her precious children, they were the children of the earth, and she was going to do what she could to protect them. Damned if this human was going to stop her from doing that. "Then I suppose while I am here.... I'm going to save them." she said and eventually was just following after him to a set of chambers.

She looked around for a moment in time and was soon enough left alone in that chamber, which just had her sinking down to sit on her knees on the ground. What on earth did this man even want? Now more than ever she wished to return, but she couldn't not know that she knew that the supernatural creatures were being hunted down. Sure she couldn't feel the pain from those that weren't animals, but she could imagine their pain.

Who would have figured that Nemoth would have managed to find her way into the underground area, not that it wasn't difficult to follow Iona's scent. The little dragonite ran through the small area, although about collided with the mage, who she did end up hissing at. But that was about it, the tiny creature was frightened and in pain as it was, but she wasn't going to show that right now. Even as her wing was bleeding from an arrow that had caught her earlier.

"Human, I demand that you take me to my Mistress." the tiny creature spoke after a moment in time, her voice drifting through his mind. Although she was certain that Iona could sense that she was there, although due to the magic... the dragon couldn't exactly tell where the young goddess was.

His eyes took in the little dragon. It was injured, no doubt by the same band that was always trying to raid his tunnels. They sought gold and magical artifacts. Nevermind that the artifacts would rapidly lose power when they killed him. Those types never thought that far ahead.

A twinge of sympathy crossed his face when he spotted Nemoth's wound. "I will take you to her if you let me attend your wound first. Her next few weeks will be trying enough, and I don't want to upset her by letting her seeing you injured." He walked towards a room near her section, expecting the creature to follow.

The little dragon did seem to have a moment of hesitation before she was giving a small chirp, and was following after him. The little creature did keep her distance from this human though, at the time anyways.

"You has better not hurt my Mistress. Humans are cruel, far too cruel. And my Mistress is too innocent to be in this violent place." Nemoth hissed at the human before she was looking towards where she could now sense Iona.

"Agreed. No one can't agree that they won't hurt someone else, but my plans for her would go better if she is unharmed. Whether that continues is up to her. I've done all the necessary checks on my aetheric vessel, so we should have no problems with safety during our flight."

He took the creature into his lab, where he retrieved a vial of dust. "Please perch upon my desk if you would. This phoenix ash should heal up your wound quickly."

"You are a mortal. Mortals cannot be trusted anymore." Nemoth spoke in a sharp chirp although she was jumping up onto the desk. No she just wanted to get to Iona, she wanted to be with her mistress. That is where she belonged. It felt strange for the pair of them to be apart as they were, this was something that rarely happened. "Just get on with this, I wish to see Iona." the dragon spoke and was spreading out her wings. Well spreading out the injured wing as much as she could, without hurting herself seriously.

He gently sprinkled the ash on Nemoth's injury. As he did so, he chanted softly in the phoenix tongue, calling on the essence to renew the creature's injury. Before long, the wound closed, with new skin knitting over the area.

Once the healing had been completed, he put the ash away and signaled for the little dragon to follow him. "Don't try anything rash. I've got your Mistress in a tight snare, and it would be harmful if she were to try to break it." The warlock walked toward's the goddess's room, knocking briefly to warn her that he was about to enter. After a short wait, he opened the door.

Nemoth just looked towards the warlock from a moment in time but the creature was giving a small hiss. Not just from the slight pain from the healing, but because she didn't like him at all. "You shouldn't have decided to capture her then." the creature spoke but she was following after him anyways. It didn't take long at all for them to get to the room, and the human male was just knocking on the door.

Iona had decided that she was going to take a bath. She was thankful that she did seem to have some access to her magic, not much but it was enough for her to do what she wanted. Rose petals for a bath, made it a whole lot more relaxing. Yeah it had only been a couple of flowers that she had been able to grow, but it at least helped keep her sanity. And the scent helped keep her more calm as well. However she was looking when there was a knock on the door and she was getting out of the bath, wrapping a towel around herself before she was leaving the bathing room.

The moment the door was opening, Nemoth was streaking into the room and bolting over to where her mistress was at. This had Iona kneeling down on the ground, and she was gently touching the tiny dragon's face. "Oh Nemoth…. You are safe...." the young goddess breathed.

Merok eyed the curves barely visible underneath the towel. "Yes. I found your pet wandering the halls to look for you. Quite a persistent little thing. And annoying. I'd suggest keeping control of her if she's going to join the launch tomorrow."

The warlock stopped for a moment, eyes roving over her exposed flesh. "You are actually quite beautiful. Oh yes, I know 'goddess' is a popular euphanism, but I've met a number, and none match your gentle demeanor. How is it that a goddess such as yourself has not become attached to a male god?"

Iona was just looking towards him before she spoke, "And if you hadn't imprisoned me, then she wouldn't be so annoying." With that she was just folding her arms across her chest, although it wasn't long before he was making a comment that she was quite beautiful, then asked about how she wasn't attached to a male god.

"Because I had no desire to become attached to anybody at all. Why would I need to become attached to somebody? One doesn't need somebody else to be able to live their lives to the fullest." she spoke after a moment in time as she was just listening Nemoth complain about the hunters from earlier. This just had her scratching the dragon behind the ears.

"Hmm. Well, there will be no vengeful divinity to come looking for you, at least. Although if I had trapped him, it could have made things much easier. As it is, I will have to improvise."

Merok tore his eyes away from Iona and walked back towards the door. "Get some rest. The launch tomorrow may be trying, and there is much that I need you to do. That a world needs you to do."

Back
Top Bottom